Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Internet Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Android Twitter App (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33706393)

alanbjames 18-05-2018 04:57

Android Twitter App

I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 (Yes i know its old but does the job).

When using the Twitter app it seems to drain the battery very quickly, i know its not the phone because if i dont use the app the phone can be fine for over 2 days without needing a charge.

The app is fully upto date and so are all others on the phone, anyone else have this issue?

Maggy 18-05-2018 08:34

Re: Android Twitter App

Just go into settings,device maintenance,battery,save power and close down all the apps.

Frankly I can't say if twitter is a real problem because I barely use it on my mobile and I have notifications for it turned off. I'd rather twitter on my PC anyway.

Stephen 18-05-2018 09:07

I use the official app on my phone and can't say 've noticed it using a lot of power.

alanbjames 19-05-2018 12:22

I also use the official app.

Matthew 19-05-2018 23:47

Never had an issues that I've noticed. I had a S6 until I swapped to the Huwaei P10 last October and not noticed any issues and it flags up power issues when something is using too much.

adzii_nufc 26-05-2018 23:36

Are you using the battery usage stats to confirm this or are you just assuming its twitter? If the latter please go to settings > Battery > Battery usage to confirm its actually twitter.

alanbjames 27-05-2018 15:03

Ive now got a Brand new Samsung A8 and Twitter does the same on this to.

Chloé Palmas 28-05-2018 03:28

What version of Android are you using?

The location being turned on has been a drain of all things battery based for Android for weeks if not months now.

(You have to go through the individual apps that have location permission and then either turn it off through there or disable / deny the app from having the permission). You may also need to turn off the device after all that to get it right - happened to me a few weeks ago while out and about as I needed to use the location for maps ; drained 3000 + MA's of a battery (wasn't quite charged to 100%) in like 2 hours. Does Twitter require location permissions to function as an app? If so, that will be it.

Otherwise just use the browser in a mobile version of it. (As a solution if you don't want to go disabling everything, every time).

alanbjames 30-05-2018 21:00

Id say its latest version of Android since the phone has only been out about 3 weeks.

Chloé Palmas 31-05-2018 00:52

What version are you using?

8 / Oreo?

That is just the start of the nightmares with them (battery drain)...have you experienced the wi-fi drop out issue?

I thought that it was a Sony issue at first but it is not:

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperi...p/1277739#gref

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperi...p/1229275#gref

This issue is not solved at all, I am all but ready to leave Android / move to Apple.

This sucks. All round.

alanbjames 01-06-2018 17:57

How do i find out what version it is?

When it comes to phones i can use them thats it.

Hugh 01-06-2018 18:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanbjames (Post 35948910)
How do i find out what version it is?

When it comes to phones i can use them thats it.

Settings/About Phone/Android Version

About Phone is usually at the bottom of the list.

Mine is 8.0.0

Qtx 02-06-2018 01:02

If Twitters official app is similar to third party twitter apps, you can probably turn off push notifications if you don't want to know the instant someone messages you or mentions you.

Some apps let you set a 30 minute/1 hour/2 hour update kind of schedule and doing things that way or a manual refresh as needed can make a huge difference.

Android 8 here and no problems with alternative twitter apps and no issues when on Android 7 either. I use a self modified version of a popular app but the only difference in it that might affect battery is static location reporting rather than firing up real location services. Should hardly make much difference though.

Maybe try some of the alternative apps if you run out of other options. Talon, Tweetcaster, Fenix, Falcon Pro, Plume, Fluce etc. Some of those might work out better battery wise.

alanbjames 02-06-2018 10:28

Android Version 7.1.1

Chloé Palmas 02-06-2018 12:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35948917)
Settings/About Phone/Android Version

About Phone is usually at the bottom of the list.

Mine is 8.0.0

Out of interest does yours have battery drain issues in general?

Our daughter has the exact same phone and yet hers lasts 4 days without much use. Checked most settings and a bunch are similar so it seems likely to be a location issue IMO. (Mine is turned on from time to time where as hers and hubby never need it / use raw so it might be mine due to third party / in app due to permissions for apps etc).

The other thing that might be messing things up for me is that I have a 4K phone (not for the use itself) but that usually makes it difficult to quantify use as it is sometimes on super vivid mode, and sometimes not.

---------- Post added at 12:15 ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanbjames (Post 35948941)
Android Version 7.1.1

Just had a look at Nougat and it doesn't seem to have the location based batter issues that Oreo started off with (though even 8 has eased up).

Can you do me a favor and put a screen cap of your battery use / what drains it etc?

(Though you may need some help with that).