Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : VM phasing out older packages (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33706390)

cheekyangus 17-05-2018 09:52

VM phasing out older packages

Just got a letter in the post from VM. Basically they say older TV packages are being phased out. In our case from 1st July we'll be charged £3 extra a month and moved onto the next package up. M+ customers are being moved up to the Fun package.

They have activated the Fun package channels already so you can try them before they start charging.

At first look the main difference is a bunch of spin-off Discovery channels, Nat Geo, Animal Planet and some Children's channels.

Mr K 17-05-2018 10:34

Re: VM phasing out older packages

Break of contract by them , you leave for free if you want, did they mention that ?

cheekyangus 17-05-2018 10:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35947120)
Break of contract by them , you leave for free if you want, did they mention that ?

There is a bit at the end of the letter, before the signature, where they say you can change or cancel before 1st July without cancellation charges.

There is also a website link I never saw first time (here).

Mr K 17-05-2018 10:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 35947126)
There is a bit at the end of the letter, before the signature, where they say you can change or cancel before 1st July without cancellation charges.

There is also a website link I never saw first time (here).

If you want to stay, I'd ring up and say you're going to cancel because of it, you'll probably find them very accommodating.

cheekyangus 17-05-2018 11:08

Out of curiosity I looked at TV section of VM website, the comparison section to be specific, and only packages they show are Player, Mix, Full House and VIP. If they are not selling it on their website why are they moving people onto Fun.

Also odd, Mix is 239 channels (so says the website), M+ is 235 (according to the letter), so why didn't they move M+ customers to Mix then? Is Mix disappearing too and the website isn't reflecting this yet? The wording of the letter suggests it isn't just M+ disappearing.

BenMcr 17-05-2018 14:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 35947132)
If they are not selling it on their website why are they moving people onto Fun.

Fun is still available for existing customers, but it's not sold as part of the new customer offers.

Quote:

so why didn't they move M+ customers to Mix then?
There are some channels in M+ that aren't in Mix TV, but all of the M+ channels are in Fun.

Quote:

Is Mix disappearing too and the website isn't reflecting this yet? The wording of the letter suggests it isn't just M+ disappearing.
Mix isn't disappearing.

cheekyangus 17-05-2018 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35947166)
Fun is still available for existing customers, but it's not sold as part of the new customer offers.

There are some channels in M+ that aren't in Mix TV, but all of the M+ channels are in Fun.

Mix isn't disappearing.

Many thanks BenMcr.

Didn't realise M+ has channels Mix doesn't despite Mix having more, explains choice of Fun instead.

First time my TV package has changed since Telewest Starter (if I remember name correctly), which was a £2.95 option when taken with the broadband and phone back in the day, before being renamed M+ eventually.

RichardCoulter 17-05-2018 20:05

Quote:

Mix isn't disappearing.

Does this mean that existing customers can ask to be put onto Fun? Also, the letter says that 'older TV packages are being phased out', will those already on (or moved to) Fun eventually be migrated to another pack?

Mr K 17-05-2018 20:24

Quote:

Fun is still available for existing customers

Fantastic ! Where and when does it happen :)

BenMcr 17-05-2018 22:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35947193)
Does this mean that existing customers can ask to be put onto Fun?

Potentially, but as far as I can recall it doesn't really save much compared to the current Full House bundle or add much more compared to the current Mix bundle i.e. the bundles with all three services, rather than a pure count of the TV channels each pack has.

Quote:

Also, the letter says that 'older TV packages are being phased out', will those already on (or moved to) Fun eventually be migrated to another pack?
No plans that I'm aware of to remove Fun for those on it, but as I'm not involved in those decisions I have no crystal ball for any future product decisions.