Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media News Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   The Virgin Media cabinets in the street (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33634470)

lulukimmi 13-06-2008 19:15

The Virgin Media cabinets in the street

Does anyone have a problem with kids using these cabinets as their night out? I have two of the ******* things outside my house and it drives me nuts with the local kids use them as a meeting place for their 'night out'. The noise of them kicking, screeching and generally be a total nuisance is driving me nuts. VM refuse to do anything about it as they infer I am the only person in the whole of the UK with this problem and basically its tough luck. If there were just a couple of peeps out there with the same problem we would have a chance of getting something done. Anyone experiencing this nuisance????

MovedGoalPosts 13-06-2008 19:20

Re: The Virgin Media cabinets in the street

I'd suggest you speak to your local neighbourhood policing team. If the kids really are a nuisance they are the people who can move them on. However kids will always accumulate somewhere. It's unlikely to be the cabinets them selves that are the factor for this, any street corner with a bit of space is usually enough.

lulukimmi 13-06-2008 19:26

The police and the local council are involved with this but until these things are removed or made inaccessible, the kids will perch on them and screech - worse than a cage of budgies! (I don't have anything against budgies but they do make a racket if you are trying to watch TV or have a quiet drink with friends in the garden) If only a couple of other people have the same problem I would seriously have a case. Kids, I agree, do congregate on street corners but when they actively arrange to meet at 'the green boxes' there is a problem.

BenMcr 13-06-2008 19:29

I'm not quite sure what you expect VM to do.

Even if they did turn up in a van and ask the kids to move, I doubt anything would actually happen

---------- Post added at 19:29 ---------- Previous post was at 19:27 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by lulukimmi (Post 34574914)
Kids, I agree, do congregate on street corners but when they actively arrange to meet at 'the green boxes' there is a problem.

Not all the boxes on the street are Virgin's. BT have quite a few as well.

Quote:

but until these things are removed or made inaccessible
There is no way that either BT or Virgin can remove them

lulukimmi 13-06-2008 19:32

BT manage to sink some of theirs into the ground - why can't VM do the same? I'm quite sure its not impossible these days.

Sirius 13-06-2008 19:38

VM have angled tops they can fit to the boxes in the North West, I have seem them in lots of places. They look like the roof of a house and seem to have been fitted after the box was installed as they seem to be riveted in place and are a slightly different green colour.

joglynne 13-06-2008 19:45

I had the same problem with a cabinet outside my house. It is placed on a corner next to a hedge and with the youngsters messing about the hedge had taken a right bashing. The Police did their best to move the youngsters on but they would just come back later and the noise they made late at night was upsetting all the residents.

I remembered I had a bucket of chicken pellet fertiliser which I had tried to use in flower borders near to my house but the smell had made it unusable. It took several applications around the cabinet to have any effect but eventually the youngsters stopped hanging around.

We do have a fine display of weeds though.:D

lulukimmi 13-06-2008 19:46

Yes, one of the two 'things' has an angled 'roof' but this seem to be the resting place of the 'wannabe in the gang' the kids. I am talking serious weird kid here. One has a flat roof which seems to inspire either one single person draping themselves over and kicking the ends of the box or as many as will fit, usually about 4! Nevertheless I don't want to hear their screeching all through the evening until 10pm of a weekday evening. Who would want that? I pay VM a fortune every month and these boxes - cabinets - whatever you call them - are definitely theirs.

BenMcr 13-06-2008 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by lulukimmi (Post 34574926)
I pay VM a fortune every month and these boxes - cabinets - whatever you call them - are definitely theirs.

But the kids aren't! I understand your frustration but Virgin have nothing to do with this.

If it wasn't the Virgin box they were sitting on, it would probably be a neighbours wall, or a driveway, or something else.

lulukimmi 13-06-2008 19:49

Jo - What an excellent idea!! I had though of picking up all the local dog poo and tipping it around but your chicken 'fertilizer' is is a perfect idea! I will certainly give it a go

Sirius 13-06-2008 19:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by lulukimmi (Post 34574934)
Jo - What an excellent idea!! I had though of picking up all the local dog poo and tipping it around but your chicken 'fertilizer' is is a perfect idea! I will certainly give it a go

Old stinky lard from a chip pan, That would make it slippy and stinky

joglynne 13-06-2008 19:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by lulukimmi (Post 34574934)

One of my neighbours saw a young man walk past our cabinet and then stop and look at his feet. He ended up standing on his newspaper whilst he took his shoes off and inspected their soles closely. I must admit that we all roared laughing when we heard but I did feel little guilty for the confusion I had caused him.

Tip. If you do try this method it works better if you water the pellets each evening before your night visitors arrive.

lulukimmi 13-06-2008 20:18

Actually, my stepdad has a ton of the chicken stuff (he hates the smell so much) so I will get it off him and proceed to fertilise the boxes!! Thank you so much - I am certain it will help as, of course kids are so 'delicate' these days....

---------- Post added at 20:18 ---------- Previous post was at 20:07 ----------

Sirius - I once tried marmite mixed with honey smeared all over the boxes but some 'kind soul' (not someone living close) cleaned it off within a day!!! I am getting the chicken pellet fertiliser tomorrow - that really stinks !!! I will water it regularly and keep it topped up. Hopefully it will deter the 'perchers'!!

sollp 13-06-2008 20:21

So not only have we to contend with Dog P***,Dog Cr8P, human p***, vomit, takeaways,spit, anti vandal grease ect whilst working on the cabinet, everyone is now condoning chicken fertilizer and chip fat poored over the cabinets.

Yeah thanks, i'll come round to your house and c**p on your doorstep, see how you like it:rolleyes:

lulukimmi 13-06-2008 20:26

Yeah sure - come round to my house and try to watch TV in peace or have friends round for a nice quiet drink in the garden - I am sure the smell won't pervade but the ******** noise would.