Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Petition to try and block Murdoch taking over Sky & it's channels. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704147)

1andrew1 20-12-2016 08:51

Re: Petition to try and block Murdoch taking over Sky & it's channels.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35876688)
...plus Sky isn't just satellite anymore.

I wonder if things will get any better or worse for VM & it's customers if this deal goes through?

If Murdoch had effective control of Sky anyway, I suspect it won't make any difference either way.

For anyone still doubting the control Fox has over Sky, they should consider the withdrawal of the Fox channel from the BT TV platform. Of course, it might be coincidence but that move won't have done Sky any harm but has lost Fox some revenue from BT.

Paul 20-12-2016 14:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by paultrademark (Post 35876388)
Why is this in the VM TV Service forum?

I dont know, moved to Sky forum.

RichardCoulter 20-12-2016 16:05

Because I was interested in how this takeover would affect VM customers, to which I've come to the conclusion that it will be business as usual.

Also, Sky isn't just a satellite company anymore; they have a presence on Freeview, Freesat and streaming services.

Nevertheless, it will give exposure to Sky customers who may wish to contribute to the discussion.

passingbat 20-12-2016 17:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35876821)
Because I was interested in how this takeover would affect VM customers,.

I agree.

RichardCoulter 22-12-2016 13:39

According to the first article on The Media Show yesterday, Ofcom has a regulatory duty to ensure that those holding a broadcasting licence are "fit and proper" to do so.

As this is an ongoing duty, this won't be looked at when/if they first gain control!

They will, however, want to ensure that neutrality is in place and maintained from day one:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00dv9hq

Jacquesb 22-12-2016 15:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35877217)
According to the first article on The Media Show yesterday, Ofcom has a regulatory duty to ensure that those holding a broadcasting licence are "fit and proper" to do so.

As this is an ongoing duty, this won't be looked at when/if they first gain control!

They will, however, want to ensure that neutrality is in place and maintained from day one:

So the question really is whether Murdoch is "fit + proper". IMHO, he is not. His input to the EC referendum was skewed somewhat - he stated that while Downing St will listen & do as he tells them, Brussels wouldn't even listen to him.

passingbat 22-12-2016 16:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacquesb (Post 35877233)
So the question really is whether Murdoch is "fit + proper". IMHO, he is not. His input to the EC referendum was skewed somewhat - he stated that while Downing St will listen & do as he tells them, Brussels wouldn't even listen to him.

Given that he's not British, he shouldn't have been sticking his nose into the referendum anyway, given that, whether we like it or not, he has unmerited influence.

So, to save me some research, was he a remainer or leaver? More importantly, what were his motives? We know why globalist Obama tried to use threats to make us stay in.

muppetman11 22-12-2016 19:10

He pulls the strings at Sky already what's going to change ?

passingbat 22-12-2016 19:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35877262)
He pulls the strings at Sky already what's going to change ?

He would officially be able to pull the strings. A distinct difference in my view.

muppetman11 22-12-2016 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35877267)
He would officially be able to pull the strings. A distinct difference in my view.

And how is that going to change our lives ? :D

Mr K 22-12-2016 21:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35877217)

I wouldn't worry Richard, a few backhanders/knighthoods and that will all be sorted. Murdoch has had every UK govt in his pocket. The hacking thing was a minor temporary inconvenience.

RichardCoulter 23-12-2016 20:39

Absolutely.

Still, as long as the sheep can get Sky Sports et al, I suspect most won't care at all.

martyh 24-12-2016 08:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35877471)
Absolutely.

Still, as long as the sheep can get Sky Sports et al, I suspect most won't care at all.

Are you blaming Sky subscribers for the shortcomings of Murdoch

Mr K 24-12-2016 10:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35877505)
Are you blaming Sky subscribers for the shortcomings of Murdoch

Well they do kind of provide a little of his income...

OLD BOY 09-01-2017 16:34

People subscribing to Sky do so for the technology and the content. They don't pay their money because they love the Murdochs.