Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Moans and Pet Hates - Part 8 (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33698080)

Hugh 10-07-2018 11:47

Re: Moans and Pet Hates part 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35953865)
Eon sending me an email saying they 'need' to replace my meters with a smart meter, well that is a load of bollocks..... and it isn't going to happen any time soon!

That’s because the U.K. Government has set them targets to install Smart Meters by the end of 2020, and they will be fined if they don’t meet those targets (even though it’s not compulsory for customers to have them...).

Suppliers have been told by the Government to try to install smart meters in all the UK’s 50 million homes and businesses by the end of 2020. If they fail to do enough, they face fines of up to £7 billion.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/smart-meters-how-they-work
Quote:

The government requires energy companies to install smart meters for their customers, and has set out rules to ensure that they do this in a way that is in the interests of consumers, including rules around:

data access and privacy
security
technical standards for the smart metering equipment
meeting the needs of vulnerable consumers
Smart meters will be rolled out as standard across the country by the end of 2020. But there is no legal obligation on you to have one.

SnoopZ 10-07-2018 11:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35953872)
That’s because the U.K. Government has set them targets to install Smart Meters by the end of 2020, and they will be fined if they don’t meet those targets (even though it’s not compulsory for customers to have them...).

Suppliers have been told by the Government to try to install smart meters in all the UK’s 50 million homes and businesses by the end of 2020. If they fail to do enough, they face fines of up to £7 billion.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/smart-meters-how-they-work

What annoys me is their use of the word 'need' as that simply isn't true.

Quote:

Hello **************

We need to upgrade your electricity and gas meters to our new self-reading smart meters.

Why are we changing your meters?
We need to install smart meters into all of our customers' homes as part of a government led nationwide upgrade programme. The good news is they have great benefits for you:
  • No need to provide meter readings, they're sent to us automatically
  • No more estimated bills1
  • See how much energy you're using and what it's costing you, with a helpful in-home display.
Book an appointment to get your meters now. It'll only take a couple of hours to fit your meters, and we'll only need to switch your electricity and gas off for about 30 minutes for each meter. If you don't want smart meters at this time, please call us to let us know.
Yours sincerely
E.ON Smart Meter Team

Hugh 10-07-2018 13:18

What they say is true.

They need you to upgrade (otherwise they will be fined) - you don't need to accept that upgrade... ;)

denphone 10-07-2018 13:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35953865)
Eon sending me an email saying they 'need' to replace my meters with a smart meter, well that is a load of bollocks..... and it isn't going to happen any time soon!

We have had ours for 3 years snoopZ.

---------- Post added at 13:31 ---------- Previous post was at 13:25 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by nashville (Post 35953856)
Hope that helps you Den ;)

They have prescribed me a new controlled pain killer after discussions with the relevant medical professionals nash.

heero_yuy 10-07-2018 17:20

Quote:

Quote from SnoopZ:

I didn't want one but EDF almost insisted. I've been running my own energy monitor unit for back-to-back comparisons as I was suspicious that the unit might be reading VA's (Volts times Amps) rather than real Watts. There's a big difference if you have a lot of LED lighting or fridge / freezer units.

Rest assured that the smart meter I have which is the GE SGC1311 reads real watts to the same accuracy as my NAMAS tracable unit.

The only PITA is the remote monitor keeps resetting and displaying £ used today rather than Watts which are more useful to me.

tweetiepooh 11-07-2018 11:50

Need to wait for the version 2 meters that are not tied to a single supplier. British Gas called me to offer the meters and the lady on the phone insisted they were version 2 but another call to confirm showed that wasn't the case so we cancelled.

papa smurf 13-07-2018 10:35

Just had my buildings insurance quote from hastings for insurance with Axa .
went on confused .com and bought it for 50% of the hastings renewal price ,these people just don't do customer loyalty :mad:

Hom3r 15-07-2018 09:05

My sister told my mum, dad & me that my niece is 1 stone under weight and therfore anorexic, she had been watching what she eats.

Through work my sister has private healthcare and has an apointment with a Dr on Monday, the outcome will decide if my sister has to cancel her holiday in 2 weeks, as she was told that as my niece is anorexic she could have a heart attack on the flight.

The holiday isn't insured, so if she cancels she loses the £2,000 it cost.

But as my nephew said to his mum when told, it's only money and we have each other.

So know I'll do anything to help my sister, and along with my parents pay for a holiday later.

heero_yuy 15-07-2018 09:13

Bent down to get the breakfast stuff out from the fridge and my back went out with an audible clunk. Pain and agony as I tried to straighten up. :(

It's not too bad standing but I can't bend down now. The OH is giving it a massage. Hope it helps.

Stephen 15-07-2018 10:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 35954507)
My sister told my mum, dad & me that my niece is 1 stone under weight and therfore anorexic, she had been watching what she eats.

Through work my sister has private healthcare and has an apointment with a Dr on Monday, the outcome will decide if my sister has to cancel her holiday in 2 weeks, as she was told that as my niece is anorexic she could have a heart attack on the flight.

But as my nephew said to his mum when told, it's only money and we have each other.

So know I'll do anything to help my sister, and along with my parents pay for a holiday later.

Sorry to hear that.

However, not sure how 1 stone under weight means you are anorexic? If that was the case many people would be classed that way, myself included.

But Anorexia is an illness and thought people had to be severely malnourished to be anorexic?

weenie 15-07-2018 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 35954507)

Sorry to hear this Hom3r I suspect that your nieces GP will want to determine what is causing your niece to be classed as medically underweight therefore may want to tests etc as many illnesses can make you appear anorexic according to my BMI at the moment I'm overweight but that is all the meds I'm on atm and just a few months ago according to my BMI I would be classed as medically anorexic.

I suspect the GP will want to determine what medical condition is causing this weight loss, fortunately, your niece has a loving and supportive family to help her on her journey to recovery :hugs:

When I'm having difficulty eating or keeping food down as I can be sick quite a lot my GP prescribes me high calorie shakes called fortisip (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortisip) maybe your nieces GP may offer these and if not I'm sure you can buy them as I've just googled them and this came up, saying that I would advise that your sister checks with your nieces GP just to check that these would be ok for her to use.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fortisip-Co...ortisip+drinks

https://www.chemist-4-u.com/catalogs...esc&q=fortisip

Hom3r 16-07-2018 16:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by weenie (Post 35954560)
Sorry to hear this Hom3r I suspect that your nieces GP will want to determine what is causing your niece to be classed as medically underweight therefore may want to tests etc as many illnesses can make you appear anorexic according to my BMI at the moment I'm overweight but that is all the meds I'm on atm and just a few months ago according to my BMI I would be classed as medically anorexic.

I suspect the GP will want to determine what medical condition is causing this weight loss, fortunately, your niece has a loving and supportive family to help her on her journey to recovery :hugs:

When I'm having difficulty eating or keeping food down as I can be sick quite a lot my GP prescribes me high calorie shakes called fortisip (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortisip) maybe your nieces GP may offer these and if not I'm sure you can buy them as I've just googled them and this came up, saying that I would advise that your sister checks with your nieces GP just to check that these would be ok for her to use.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fortisip-Co...ortisip+drinks

https://www.chemist-4-u.com/catalogs...esc&q=fortisip

Thanks. My mum was on Fortisip.

I have just been told that my sister cannot go on holiday, and that my niece is close to being admitted.

Should hopefully find put more later.

The only thing I can do is be there if I get a call for help.

Hom3r 16-07-2018 20:58

The good thing is my niece knows she has a problem.

She's currently been given a diet to follow for 7 days then she goes back to the Drs, I guess it then if they decide what happens next

joglynne 16-07-2018 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 35954761)
The good thing is my niece knows she has a problem.

She's currently been given a diet to follow for 7 days then she goes back to the Drs, I guess it then if they decide what happens next

Sorry to hear about your niece Hom3r.

I agree that the most promising thing is that she has acknowledged that she has a problem and seems to want to do something proactive to conquer her eating disorder.

A member of my family was in the same position but refused to see she had a problem. She fought against every thing and everyone insisting that she was OK. In the end she was forced to face her problem and it was several years before she got her eating under control.

nashville 16-07-2018 22:16

So sorry to read about your niece's problems, so worrying for you all, I hope things get sorted out.