Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Should Jail terms of six months or less should be scrapped? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707274)

denphone 12-01-2019 09:04

Should Jail terms of six months or less should be scrapped?

Ministers consider ending jail terms of six months or less.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46847162

https://www.politicshome.com/news/ne...isons-minister

Quote:

The Ministry of Justice is considering banning prison sentences of less than six months in England and Wales.
Quote:

It estimated that his proposals could spare 30,000 criminals a year from custodial sentences, relieving pressure on a prison population that has nearly doubled since the early 1990s.

ianch99 12-01-2019 09:27

Re: Should Jail terms of six months or less should be scrapped?

No use unless there are the resources to educate the offender to reduce re-offending and offer support in the community for re-engagement . This Government seems unwilling to fund such programmes.

TheDaddy 12-01-2019 09:49

Jail sentences of two years or under are a waste of time, if you want the sharp shock to end recidivism amongst first time offenders the sentence has to be above two years, it's been statistically proven, I'd go one future to and say if it were up to me no one would be released until they can read and write to a level where they can get by in every day life

Taf 12-01-2019 10:53

"Education through incarceration" does not work in most cases I read years ago. So why not a return to short sentences that offenders won't want to risk because they involve hard labour with zero comfort?

Oh yeah, the liberal lawyers and their supporters would have a field day and large fees paid by the taxpayers.

TheDaddy 12-01-2019 11:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35978908)
"Education through incarceration" does not work in most cases I read years ago. So why not a return to short sentences that offenders won't want to risk because they involve hard labour with zero comfort?

Oh yeah, the liberal lawyers and their supporters would have a field day and large fees paid by the taxpayers.

They're not doing a degree in there, just being able to give themselves a chance and if hard labour and harsh conditions worked how come we still had plenty of crime years ago, I know we're in a post fact world now but the evidence is out there, short sentences don't work

nomadking 12-01-2019 12:28

The problem nowadays is that you can commit dozens of crimes, be found guilty and still avoid jail.

Assuming for the sake of argument, that jailing somebody doesn't prevent reoffending, then not jailing definitely won't prevent reoffending.

If somebody nowadays got 19 years, or even just 19 months for stealing a loaf of bread, then the incidence of shoplifting would plummet.

RichardCoulter 12-01-2019 13:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35978908)

Willie Whitelaw tried the 'short, sharp shock' regime not long after Thatcher became PM. It was found that all it did was make criminals fitter and faster when committing crimes upon their release!

One problem with imprisonment is that new inmates get taught the tricks of the trade by the older, more experienced, prisoners.

Angua 12-01-2019 13:37

Community service seems to work better at reducing re-offending. So as an alternative it appears to be a reasonable idea. However, I would think there are some crimes that would not be appropriate for a non custodial sentence.

Carth 12-01-2019 14:24

Prisons? what prisons?

oh, you mean the luxury long stay holiday hotels provided by the government :mad:

Hugh 12-01-2019 14:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 35978936)
Prisons? what prisons?

oh, you mean the luxury long stay holiday hotels provided by the government :mad:

I know someone who is a prison officer in a jail near me, and it's no holiday camp.

denphone 12-01-2019 14:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 35978936)
Prisons? what prisons?

By getting rid of Jail terms of six months or less its basically a carte blanche invitation for some criminals to make hay as they know its highly likely they won't be facing a custodial sentence for their crimes.

RichardCoulter 12-01-2019 14:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35978937)
I know someone who is a prison officer in a jail near me, and it's no holiday camp.

Same here. I asked her about TV's, PlayStations and she said that these are privileges that can be taken away for bad behaviour and they have to pay for them out of their wages.

If they don't work or misbehave, they can't have luxury items.

Even those who do sometimes ask her what she's doing in the evening and when she tells them they look sad and upset that they are incarcerated, which shows that being locked up is more of a punishment than is realised by inmates and the public.

A reformed ex inmate called Jack Hill has done some interesting videos on YouTube, he answers questions and tells it how it is. He covers everything from violence, food, sex in prison and the humiliating clothes that they are made to wear:

https://m.youtube.com/user/DrunkerJack1

In essence I agree, it's no holiday camp.

papa smurf 12-01-2019 15:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35978940)
Same here. I asked her about TV's, PlayStations and she said that these are privileges that can be taken away for bad behaviour and they have to pay for them out of their wages.

If they don't work or misbehave, they can't have luxury items.

Even those who do sometimes ask her what she's doing in the evening and when she tells them they look sad and upset that they are incarcerated, which shows that being locked up is more of a punishment than is realised by inmates and the public.

A reformed ex inmate called Jack Hill has done some interesting videos on YouTube, he answers questions and tells it how it is. He covers everything from violence, food, sex in prison and the humiliating clothes that they are made to wear:

https://m.youtube.com/user/DrunkerJack1

In essence I agree, it's no holiday camp.

Sounds like one of my kids explaining the house rules

heero_yuy 12-01-2019 16:10

Wouldn't public floggings be a suitable alternative? :erm:

Cheaper too. :D

Hom3r 13-01-2019 17:05

No, the terms on some should be doubled and made consecutive, so murders/rapists/paedos, serve a lot longer.

Perhaps life should mean life, a few 700 year terms with no parole (Like the yanks) are needed.