Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   EU Speed Limiters (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710626)

Taf 29-11-2021 12:27

EU Speed Limiters

All new cars will have a mandatory speed limiter from July 2022.

New European legislation will indeed force manufacturers to integrate a speed limit control system.

https://www.diglogs.com/france/all-n...o-more-excess/

Carth 29-11-2021 12:37

Re: EU Speed Limiters

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36103486)

New European legislation will indeed force manufacturers to integrate a speed limit control system.

Second hand car prices to rise even further?

pip08456 29-11-2021 12:41

Quote:

A bit pointless condisering this.

Quote:

In the event of a violation of the maximum authorized speed, the car will issue visual and audible warnings. If the driver does not decelerate, the system will reduce the power available and make it more difficult to use the pedal. Clearly, it will be necessary to press much harder on the mushroom to continue to accelerate. According to the law, the clamping system can indeed be ignored. “IIt (sic) will always be possible not to obey these injunctions, the driver will remain in control ”, reassures expert Fabrice Herveleu. Note that it will also be possible to deactivate the system, but only when the car is started.

1andrew1 29-11-2021 13:26

Quote:

Will be interesting to see if this is carried over to the UK or not.

Carth 29-11-2021 13:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36103490)

Depends if the UK Government can supplement the loss of earnings through redundant speed traps by something else ;)

papa smurf 29-11-2021 13:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36103490)

i wouldn't buy a car with it fitted.

heero_yuy 29-11-2021 13:53

A thriving market in hacked boxes beckons.

Hugh 29-11-2021 13:56

That would invalidate your car insurance, surely?

Carth 29-11-2021 14:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 36103497)
A thriving market in hacked boxes beckons.

Why hack it when you can (apparently) turn it off?

Good point though, and some will be daft enough to purchase them ;)

BenMcr 29-11-2021 15:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36103488)
A bit pointless condisering this.

It's the same as some of the other features - my car has lane assist that's on every time I start the car, but I can turn it off and on after that.

The braking safety features I can't turn off.

Carth 29-11-2021 15:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36103515)
It's the same as some of the other features - my car has lane assist that's on every time I start the car, but I can turn it off and on after that.

The braking safety features I can't turn off.

Yep, most 'driver assist/safety features' are turned off in ours.

The low tyre pressure warning came on last week . . . a massive 1psi low on one wheel . . . that cost me a quid to pump up :rolleyes:
MOT failure if that's turned off though I think

Pierre 29-11-2021 15:27

It’s dangerous, there may be times when you need a burst of speed to get you out of trouble.

Also Ferrari, Lamborghini etc will go out of business.

BenMcr 29-11-2021 15:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36103516)
Yep, most 'driver assist/safety features' are turned off in ours.

The low tyre pressure warning came on last week . . . a massive 1psi low on one wheel . . . that cost me a quid to pump up :rolleyes:
MOT failure if that's turned off though I think

That one on mine is the more basic version that bases the tyre pressure of maths rather than having the monitors in the wheel. Not sure what it counts as too low pressure as they were well below the recommended pressures the other day (due to normal activity) and it didn't go off.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36103517)
It’s dangerous, there may be times when you need a burst of speed to get you out of trouble.

Also Ferrari, Lamborghini etc will go out of business.

Which is why I assume it says "If the driver does not decelerate, the system will reduce the power available and make it more difficult to use the pedal." i.e. you can still do the burst of speed, but it's the sustained excess speed you can't do.

As for high performance cars, if it's based on cameras and gps, then I'd expect it turns itself off on tracks and other private locations where there isn't a limit.

On the public roads those cars would be subject to the same speed limits as everyone else.

Paul 29-11-2021 15:57

My car uses this to display the current limit (on the sat nav)
Quote:

the car will be equipped with an intelligent camera capable of reading signs and a geolocation tool. Depending on the location of the car, the system will determine the maximum allowed speed.
I've noticed it be incorrect on the odd times I use the sat nav, so it doesnt inspire much confidence. I would think you could also just block the camera.

BenMcr 29-11-2021 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36103522)
My car uses this to display the current limit (on the sat nav)

I've noticed it be incorrect on the odd times I use the sat nav, so it doesnt inspire much confidence. I would think you could also just block the camera.

Mine has both too and will flip from what is a temporary limit or the last one it saw, to the one that's supposed to be in the sat nav.

Sounds like they're aiming for something similar for all cars so I'd hope they do some serious testing to make sure the consistency gets better.

Quote:

“To guarantee an optimal level of performance, we are moving towards a merger between the cameras and the mapping system ”, explains Fabrice Herveleu, expert in active safety and vehicle automation, to our colleagues at Caradisiac.