Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Film & Cinema (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Films to see in 2021 (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709603)

General Maximus 30-09-2021 20:10

Re: Films to see in 2021

I was being sarcastic. I couldn't less whether people are black, white pink or blue and it really pisses me off every time a good film comes out and somebody says "there weren't enough black people in it " or "it should have had a female director". I am very passionate about the right person for the right job and being PC and giving a job to a female director for example for the sake it doesn't immediately make the film amazing. Charlies Angels is a perfect example of that. LOTR was fantastic and I didn't even notice there weren't any black people in it until they made a big deal about it at the Oscars.

pip08456 01-10-2021 00:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36095272)
I was being sarcastic. I couldn't less whether people are black, white pink or blue and it really pisses me off every time a good film comes out and somebody says "there weren't enough black people in it " or "it should have had a female director". I am very passionate about the right person for the right job and being PC and giving a job to a female director for example for the sake it doesn't immediately make the film amazing. Charlies Angels is a perfect example of that. LOTR was fantastic and I didn't even notice there weren't any black people in it until they made a big deal about it at the Oscars.

So you've seen the trailer and already made your mind up. How do you know it will not be an amazing film because the main cast are black? I care not what colour the actors are. What would you have thought about LOTR if there weren't any white people in it until they made a big deal about it?

Talk about double standards...

Paul 01-10-2021 01:36

It looks like it might be worth a watch.

Hugh 01-10-2021 10:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36095272)

I’m confused - you loved Black Panther, which had a Black director, was co-written by a Black screenwriter (with the director), and had a predominately Black cast.

What different about this film?

Paul 01-10-2021 15:11

Perhaps he is questioning how "realistic" is it.

Its a common trend in films and tv from the US now.
The "representation" of minorities now generally exceeds reality.

I have no idea what % the coloured population was in the west back then (excluding slaves I guess).
I could not find an equivelent for race, but in a 2019 poll, people in the US estimated that 23.6% of the population were gay, you can probably guess where they got that perception from (the real figure is about 4.5%).

Hugh 01-10-2021 15:27

"realistic"?

As compared to a fictional hidden high-tech kingdom in Africa?

Anyway, it is estimated that up to 25% of all cowboys in late 19th Century USA (after the Civil War) were Black.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...oys-180962144/

https://www.oupress.com/books/145202...-american-west

Re the estimates - it’s not just gays they overestimate, they do the same thing for Hispanics and Blacks.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/4435/pu...pulations.aspx

Quote:

The typical American estimates the percentages of blacks and Hispanics in this country to be more than twice as high as they actually are.

On average, Americans say that 33% of the U.S. population is black. In fact, a majority of Americans (56%) estimate that the percentage of blacks in this country stands at 30% or higher. As many as 17% of Americans say the percentage of blacks is 50% or greater. Only 7% accurately state that the percentage of blacks falls between 10% and 14% of the entire population.

Americans' impressions about the percentage of Hispanics in this country are somewhat more accurate than their impressions about the percentage of blacks. Americans, on average, say that 29% of the U.S. population is Hispanic, which is slightly more than twice the actual percentage of Hispanics. About two in five Americans say Hispanics constitute 30% or more of the population. Just 10% accurately estimate that between 10% and 14% of the population is Hispanic.

Paul 01-10-2021 16:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36095392)
"realistic"?

As compared to a fictional hidden high-tech kingdom in Africa?

Thats a comparison you made, not me. ;)

I mearly suggested he was questioning how realistic an (almost) all black cast would be for a western.

25% is only 1 in 4 - but then of course, its possible that gangs back then would likely all be similar in make up (i.e. all black, or all white). :)

---------- Post added at 16:31 ---------- Previous post was at 16:29 ----------

either way, the film looked ok, and on my list to check out when it arrives.

General Maximus 01-10-2021 19:20

[QUOTE=pip08456;36095307]So you've seen the trailer and already made your mind up.[quote]
nope

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36095307)
How do you know it will not be an amazing film because the main cast are black?

It might be, who knows until you see it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36095307)
I care not what colour the actors are. What would you have thought about LOTR if there weren't any white people in it until they made a big deal about it? Talk about double standards...

not really, i couldn't care less whether a film is all white or black (e.g. Black Panther) as long as it is a good film. All my comments were in gest and purely to point out the irony and hypocrisy of this particular film because Regina King is in it. If it was an all white cast she would be the first person to moan her ass off about the lack of black actors in it so because I noticed her in the trailer my comments were intended to sarcastically prove a point and I wonder if she said to anyone "where are the white guys?"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36095404)
I mearly suggested he was questioning how realistic an (almost) all black cast would be for a western.

I am glad to see you are embracing your realism factor but in this instance I was solely trying to highlight Regina King's double standards.

Damien 01-10-2021 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36095387)
Perhaps he is questioning how "realistic" is it.

Its a common trend in films and tv from the US now.
The "representation" of minorities now generally exceeds reality.

I have no idea what % the coloured population was in the west back then (excluding slaves I guess).
I could not find an equivelent for race, but in a 2019 poll, people in the US estimated that 23.6% of the population were gay, you can probably guess where they got that perception from (the real figure is about 4.5%).

I would assume that's part of the point of the film. Imagining a wild west where the characters are predominately black.

Paul 01-10-2021 23:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36095442)
I am glad to see you are embracing your realism factor but in this instance I was solely trying to highlight Regina King's double standards.

You might want to remember that most people (including me) have no clue who Regina King is, or what she moans about. You point was totally lost.

General Maximus 07-10-2021 18:46

Jimmy-J 07-10-2021 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36096411)

At first glance I thought that was going to be a trailer for Edward Scissorhands 2... The final cut. ;)

General Maximus 07-10-2021 20:56

Lol

General Maximus 15-10-2021 19:11

The tickets for Eternals are available for advanced booking.

General Maximus 20-10-2021 18:59