Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT rent rights (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707452)

Taf 01-03-2019 10:39

ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT rent rights

Quote:

Rules aimed at preventing ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS from renting properties breach human rights laws, the High Court has ruled.

The "Right to Rent" scheme, which requires landlords to check the immigration status of tenants, was introduced in England in 2016.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47415383

What the merry hell are these judges on? :mad::confused:

Carth 01-03-2019 10:59

Re: ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT rent rights

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35984834)

Probably about £400k a year, most of which is seemingly spent on mind blowing drugs :D

BenMcr 01-03-2019 11:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35984834)

I don't see an issue with this. It's the government's responsibility to ensure that the immigration policy and procedures are managing who lives here.

Landlords are not and should not be immigration officials. However, if you do make landlords do an immigration check, then they have to do it for everyone they rent to, otherwise it is racial profiling and illegal.

And if you are a UK citizen without a passport, visa or other proof of residency, then how do you prove your right to rent?

Carth 01-03-2019 11:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35984837)

And if you are a UK citizen without a passport, visa or other proof of residency, then how do you prove your right to rent?

You'd probably have a Nat Ins number and checkable medical records . . . at a guess

BenMcr 01-03-2019 11:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 35984839)
You'd probably have a Nat Ins number and checkable medical records . . . at a guess

That doesn't prove your current immigration status, just that at some point you qualified for an NI number and have been ill in the UK.

Carth 01-03-2019 11:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35984842)
That doesn't prove your current immigration status, just that at some point you qualified for an NI number and have been ill in the UK.

how do you get an NI number if you're an illegal immigrant?

BenMcr 01-03-2019 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 35984843)
how do you get an NI number if you're an illegal immigrant?

Overstayed a valid visa? Child born in the UK of someone who did?

The issue with the law isn't about immigration law, it's about forcing landlords to do it and ending up them racially profiling people when they do.

nomadking 01-03-2019 12:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35984845)
Overstayed a valid visa? Child born in the UK of someone who did?

The issue with the law isn't about immigration law, it's about forcing landlords to do it and ending up them racially profiling people when they do.

How on earth is it racially profiling anybody? It applies to everybody.

Should the alternative be that the prospective tenants have to be vetted and approved by the Home Office?

Damien 01-03-2019 12:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 35984853)
How on earth is it racially profiling anybody? It applies to everybody.

Should the alternative be that the prospective tenants have to be vetted and approved by the Home Office?

Why do you need an alternative? We got on fine without having to check the status of everybody wanting to rent.

RichardCoulter 01-03-2019 13:00

It does seem to look like the Government is trying to get, not just landlords, but employers, the NHS etc to do their job for them instead of taking action themselves.

Getting a NI number is relatively easy, in fact, there are more NI numbers in existence than there are living people in the UK.

If they cannot get one, one ruse that they use is to trawl historical death notices for children who died early in their lives. Once the child would have reached 16 years of age, the assume their identity and apply for a NI number. No morals whatsover.

Damien 01-03-2019 16:35

The hostile environment policy isn't it? Turning all sorts of interactions with the state into a chance to be caught out. In theory it's fine but as well as giving the rest of us an extra step to many of our interactions and can also catch out people who don't have formal evidence of their right to remain as we found out with Windrush.

You need a universal national identity scheme if you're going to do stuff like this.

papa smurf 01-03-2019 16:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35984888)
The hostile environment policy isn't it? Turning all sorts of interactions with the state into a chance to be caught out. In theory it's fine but as well as giving the rest of us an extra step to many of our interactions and can also catch out people who don't have formal evidence of their right to remain as we found out with Windrush.

You need a universal national identity scheme if you're going to do stuff like this.

I don't like the idea of identity cards ,i know who i am and it's worked for me for the last 62 years.

denphone 01-03-2019 16:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35984888)

But they did plan that and then kicked it into touch.

---------- Post added at 16:40 ---------- Previous post was at 16:39 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35984889)
[/B]

I don't like the idea of identity cards ,i know who i am and it's worked for me for the last 62 years.

Sometimes we have consider the greater good papa rather then ourselves.

OLD BOY 01-03-2019 16:43

Quote:

[/B]

You might know who you are, but your present enlightened state may not go on forever...:erm:

Damien 01-03-2019 17:26

Quote:

[/B]

Fine but if it only contained the information of a passport? I.E No biometrics.

Or no ID card at all but then we should be more relaxed about how often we require proof of citizenship. But not formalising the concept/process whilst demanding it is going to cause problems for some people.