Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : Series Links, too many (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33708571)

stripes 27-12-2019 12:26

Series Links, too many

I've been using Tivo etc. for some years now, and have finally decided to get help on a long-standing problem.

If I put a Series Link on EastEnders (living in London), I then get recordings of EastEnders Scotland, EastEnders Wales, EastEnders HD, and so on, as well as my London channel.

How can I limit what I'm 'linking' to just the channels I've specified?

Same thing happens if I want to see old EastEnders. It's shown on channel 130 Drama, but I ALSO get the repeat from Drama +1 (226).

And no, putting 'new only' screws the whole thing up!

Anyone got any hints as to what I'm doing wrong?

Ta.

Allen.

nomadking 27-12-2019 12:57

Re: Series Links, too many

I suspect you've set it to record "Everything". It should be set to record "New & reruns". "New" will pick BBC1 HD and "reruns" will pick up Drama, all with no duplication.

OLD BOY 27-12-2019 12:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by stripes (Post 36021257)
I've been using Tivo etc. for some years now, and have finally decided to get help on a long-standing problem.

If I put a Series Link on EastEnders (living in London), I then get recordings of EastEnders Scotland, EastEnders Wales, EastEnders HD, and so on, as well as my London channel.

How can I limit what I'm 'linking' to just the channels I've specified?

Same thing happens if I want to see old EastEnders. It's shown on channel 130 Drama, but I ALSO get the repeat from Drama +1 (226).

And no, putting 'new only' screws the whole thing up!

Anyone got any hints as to what I'm doing wrong?

Ta.

Allen.

That's strange. Maybe you should delete your existing series link and create a new one. The 'New only' selection should not foul that up.

nomadking 27-12-2019 13:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36021260)
That's strange. Maybe you should delete your existing series link and create a new one. The 'New only' selection should not foul that up.

It would foul it up in the sense that the reruns on Drama would be missing.

stripes 27-12-2019 13:02

Thanks, nomadking, and old boy. I'll do that, and see what happens.

A.

OLD BOY 27-12-2019 13:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36021262)
It would foul it up in the sense that the reruns on Drama would be missing.

Would you really want to see the old repeats as well?

stripes 27-12-2019 13:20

I didn't watch it in the old days (too busy working!). So I decided to stick it on the Tivo for 'occasional' watching, given there's so little worth watching most of the time.

Thus I want to see the repeats (if by that you mean the 28-year-old repeats), but NOT repeats of the repeats...

A

spiderplant 27-12-2019 13:43

It might not be possible to do exactly what you want here. There's a design limitation with Series Links - you can either set them to record from a single channel or from All channels, but you can't select to only record from 101 and 130, for example. You can sometimes work round this by setting the "Get in HD" option either to "Always" or "Never".

OLD BOY 27-12-2019 14:52

If my memory serves me correctly, you can set a further series link for the Drama channel only. I think I'm right in saying that! Worth a try, perhaps.

ScottishSteve 27-12-2019 14:58

Was just going to suggest what Old Boy said, a second series link for Drama only should do the trick

RobboEdin 27-12-2019 15:15

No, I believe you can only have one series link for EastEnders.

spiderplant 27-12-2019 15:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobboEdin (Post 36021286)
No, I believe you can only have one series link for EastEnders.

Correct. If you try to create a second one, it'll silently delete the first.

stripes 27-12-2019 15:54

Fair enough. Not that they will, but a channel-specific option on future updates of Series Link would be (I think) fairly easy to add, and would certainly solve this particular problem.

A

nomadking 27-12-2019 17:28

I find the "new and reruns" on "All" channels(if required) does the trick. Just tried it with Eastenders on BBC1 HD and then also on Drama. It works as desired. Only 14 episodes set up with no repeat recordings ie no Drama+1, BBC 1 Scotland etc.

OLD BOY 27-12-2019 18:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36021302)
I find the "new and reruns" on "All" channels(if required) does the trick. Just tried it with Eastenders on BBC1 HD and then also on Drama. It works as desired. Only 14 episodes set up with no repeat recordings ie no Drama+1, BBC 1 Scotland etc.

In which case, it seems that if the OP deletes the present series link and does it again as suggested, this may resolve the problem.

Stripes, your existing problem is certainly puzzling. You don't also have a Wish List set up for Eastenders, do you?