Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : Why TV only customers are only allowed to have an old Tivo box (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710420)

Rillington 02-10-2021 22:01

Why TV only customers are only allowed to have an old Tivo box

I'm wondering why TV only customers are only allowed to have the old Tivo boxes and why VM will force you to have their internet service if you want a more modern box, such as the V6 or the 360. Is it simply a business decision or might there be other reasons?

RobboEdin 02-10-2021 22:08

Re: Why TV only customers are only allowed to have an old Tivo box

V6 and TV 360 require Virgin Media broadband to work. TiVo has its own broadband connection.

Mr K 03-10-2021 00:54

No rush to get rid of my old Tivo box. As well as it's independent broadband connection , it's supplementary scart output is useful.

spiderplant 03-10-2021 09:47

V6 and 360 require VM residential broadband to be able to access all the necessary servers on VM's internal network. They don't even work properly on VM Business broadband.

Rillington 13-10-2021 16:35

how come?

As said, the Tivo boxes have its own broadband connection which surely uses the VM network so I don't understand why nothing ever gets added for customers who have a Tivo box, and only have TV from Virgin Media.

1701-e 13-10-2021 17:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rillington (Post 36097264)
how come?

As said, the Tivo boxes have its own broadband connection which surely uses the VM network so I don't understand why nothing ever gets added for customers who have a Tivo box, and only have TV from Virgin Media.

The TiVo is past it's best use date. It's full. Nothing more sinister than that.

epsilon 13-10-2021 17:31

Quote:

how come?

They are old and maxed out on resources, there's a limit to how far you can develop old tech.

OLD BOY 13-10-2021 18:18

It’s only a matter of time before the old TiVos are retired. They are no longer fit for purpose.

Inactive Digital 14-10-2021 00:24

What's the expected lifespan of a set top box spec? I'm guessing it's probably different for a consumer-bought unit compared to VM's business model where they have to purchase and supply millions of units to customers.

The Tivo was launched around 2010 and was never the snappiest, but the plum update in 2015/16(?) slowed it down even further - it was painfully slow at performing some tasks as a result. Was it a case a VM choosing a poor spec from the get go, or did Tivo's software advance more than was initially anticipated? Or maybe a bit of both, or maybe norther of those?!

jfman 14-10-2021 00:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36097281)
It’s only a matter of time before the old TiVos are retired. They are no longer fit for purpose.

According to who?

heavyside 14-10-2021 08:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inactive Digital (Post 36097333)
What's the expected lifespan of a set top box spec? I'm guessing it's probably different for a consumer-bought unit compared to VM's business model where they have to purchase and supply millions of units to customers.

The Tivo was launched around 2010 and was never the snappiest, but the plum update in 2015/16(?) slowed it down even further - it was painfully slow at performing some tasks as a result. Was it a case a VM choosing a poor spec from the get go, or did Tivo's software advance more than was initially anticipated? Or maybe a bit of both, or maybe norther of those?!

When I had TiVo it was slow and turgid. It never worked properly for me and I never managed to get multi-room working. The V6 was a breath of fresh air in terms of speed and functionality. I find the 360 snappier still, a little low on features at present, but what it does it does well.

spiderplant 14-10-2021 15:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inactive Digital (Post 36097333)

The main problem was the TiVo was specced to run Flash. But a few years later Flash had an unexpectedly swift demise and got replaced by Haxe and HTML5, which are more memory-hungry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36097334)
According to who?

TiVo isn't going anywhere any time soon. It is needed for people who have no broadband, no HDMI, or want more than 3 TV boxes.

Rillington 14-10-2021 18:36

Thank you Spiderplant, and that's good to know.

andreww342003 15-10-2021 15:45

Quote:

how come?

It's worth mentioning the modem inside the Tivo units are DOCSIS 1.1 spec, not 3.1 or 3 that Virgin are trying to push on their network, and were limited to 10Mb when Tivo was first introduced. Which could explain why the V6 lacks an internal cable modem, since every digital cable box featured one (Except for the ntl pace Di4001, which used DAVIC instead)

Rillington 15-10-2021 16:48

What's DOCSIS?

And 10mb is more than fast enough for streaming as it is said that you need a 2mb connection to stream effectively. I find that YouTube streams video perfectly well.