Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Installation of CCTV (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33701171)

Damien 01-08-2015 15:46

Installation of CCTV

Has anyone here installed CCTV at their home? I.E Covering the front/back door? I wondered how I would go about looking into it. :dunce:

Jimmy-J 01-08-2015 16:36

Re: Installation of CCTV

How to Install a Security Camera System for a House

This might help.

Derek 01-08-2015 20:03

How handy are you with running wiring etc?

A bog standard 4 channel DVR and a couple of decent resolution cameras should be fine for most household tasks. Just mount the cameras so you catch faced and not hat the tops of heads.

As for DVRs I know a certain large Scottish wide security service ;) use Qvis units and they are a doddle to set up and administer.

Damien 01-08-2015 21:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 35791605)
How handy are you with running wiring etc?

A bog standard 4 channel DVR and a couple of decent resolution cameras should be fine for most household tasks. Just mount the cameras so you catch faced and not hat the tops of heads.

As for DVRs I know a certain large Scottish wide security service ;) use Qvis units and they are a doddle to set up and administer.

Yeah positioning the cameras will be interesting. Could do two covering the front and back of house and two covering the entry so that those later two stand a better chance of catching a face.

Carlos Carboni 01-08-2015 21:43

I got this for around 20 quid via ebay from China.

Easy to setup, HD video day or night. You might want to go wireless

TheDaddy 01-08-2015 23:47

Make absolutely certain the camera only records your property, even catching a slight proportion of your neighbours property or the public street could leave you liable for prosecution

techguyone 02-08-2015 12:05

That's quite amusing when we get the police around wanting to know if we caught on camera the hooligans in the street :D

Derek 02-08-2015 13:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35791621)
Make absolutely certain the camera only records your property, even catching a slight proportion of your neighbours property or the public street could leave you liable for prosecution

Filming a public street illegal? Try telling that to Johnny Chav who films his mate being arrested while shouting out dubious legal advice.

TheDaddy 02-08-2015 19:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by techguyone (Post 35791648)
That's quite amusing when we get the police around wanting to know if we caught on camera the hooligans in the street :D

Amusing or not

http://www.theguardian.com/law/2014/...-judgment-says

LSainsbury 02-08-2015 20:02

CCTV is no different from taking a photo on a public street. There are no laws against this in the UK.

Damien 02-08-2015 20:07

Yeah my understanding is that as long as it's clear you're mostly covering your own property then it's ok. What isn't ok is pointing a camera wholly at your neighbours.

Derek 03-08-2015 06:37

Most CCTV units have masking capabilities in them so anything private is blocked out and not recorded anyway.

TheDaddy 14-10-2021 11:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35791621)

Just seen on Jeremy Vine that someone has lost a judgement for up to £100k for invading his neighbours privacy and not properly storing the records. Yes he was a bit extreme with his 4 ring doorbells but I'm surprised it's taken this long for someone to go to court and now they have it'll only be the start, best advice I have for anyone installing them and is concerned is talk to your neighbours, if they're okay with it then you have nothing to worry about. I'm currently installing three at my father in laws but one will now not be installed at all due to it capturing to much of someone else's property

Carth 14-10-2021 12:05

My neighbour has one that covers all of his back yard/garden . . . and 2/3 of mine.
Saving me a few bob, quite happy here :D

nomadking 14-10-2021 12:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36097370)
Just seen on Jeremy Vine that someone has lost a judgement for up to £100k for invading his neighbours privacy and not properly storing the records. Yes he was a bit extreme with his 4 ring doorbells but I'm surprised it's taken this long for someone to go to court and now they have it'll only be the start, best advice I have for anyone installing them and is concerned is talk to your neighbours, if they're okay with it then you have nothing to worry about. I'm currently installing three at my father in laws but one will now not be installed at all due to it capturing to much of someone else's property

If you look as the pictures of the houses, not only is there another house in between the 2 houses, there is a roadway leading to a parking area. It's not as if any of the cameras are, or even could be, aimed at any private areas(eg inside windows), it's all areas out in the open where anybody can see. Just crazy and completely nonsensical decision.