Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Science & Technology (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Electric Smart Meters (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710003)

Jaymoss 22-05-2021 16:43

Re: Electric Smart Meters

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36080420)
Oh. I was under the impression we consumers still had a choice as they weren't (yet) compulsory?

they will just miraculously say they do not have dumb meters and only install smart and there will be nothing you can do about it

Carth 22-05-2021 17:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36080429)
they will just miraculously say they do not have dumb meters and only install smart and there will be nothing you can do about it

There's a street light on the corner of our property, amazing what you can do with 40ft of cable and some insulated pliers :D

Jaymoss 22-05-2021 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36080431)
There's a street light on the corner of our property, amazing what you can do with 40ft of cable and some insulated pliers :D

hahahaha

Hugh 22-05-2021 19:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36080431)

Be a beggar if you live in one of those councils that switch the street lights off between midnight and 5:30am... :D

spiderplant 22-05-2021 22:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36080407)
SMART meters are there so the suppliers know when peak is

Do you think they don't know that already?

What would be useful is a smart water meter. Last year we had a underground leak after the meter. We had no idea until two guys from the water company turned up, investigating why the total water usage of the village had doubled. The bill would have been £8000. Luckily they didn't charge us.

Jaymoss 22-05-2021 22:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36080446)
Do you think they don't know that already?

What would be useful is a smart water meter. Last year we had a underground leak after the meter. We had no idea until two guys from the water company turned up, investigating why the total water usage of the village had doubled. The bill would have been £8000. Luckily they didn't charge us.

Pretty much none of it is rocket science but it will give them 100% the best idea of how to make the most money. There is really no point to them other than maybe make the consumer paranoid.

Yeah I can see your point on water meter. I am on the big difference scheme so get my water cheap anyway and not on a meter

Carth 22-05-2021 23:23

There's a river 1.5 miles from the edge of my property, it's amazing what you can do with . . . erm . . actually no, I won't bother :D

Paul 23-05-2021 23:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36080407)
SMART meters are there so the suppliers know when peak is and eventually you mark my words will start tiered tariffs where peak times cost more as a big screw you to the consumer

Um, they already know when they are, and have for a very long time.

That was my dads job, in grid control, 50 years ago.

Tiered taffifs have existed for almost as long (Economy 7).

Jaymoss 23-05-2021 23:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36080514)
Um, they already know when they are, and have for a very long time.

That was my dads job, in grid control, 50 years ago.

Tiered taffifs have existed for almost as long (Economy 7).

Yes I know and ?? does the fact eco 7 exists make me wrong? it is all statistics and spin and will be presented as incentive to use less power and be more eco friendly when really it is lets see how we can make more money. Almost everything any corporation gets involved in is all to make more money. There imo will be new tariffs and not just for those who have storage heaters

alanbjames 24-05-2021 13:51

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36080518)
Yes I know and ?? does the fact eco 7 exists make me wrong? it is all statistics and spin and will be presented as incentive to use less power and be more eco friendly when really it is lets see how we can make more money. Almost everything any corporation gets involved in is all to make more money. There imo will be new tariffs and not just for those who have storage heaters

Heres some pics i took of my current usage.

Jaymoss 24-05-2021 14:05

I honestly thought i was a relatively high leccy user with all my gadgets but I guess being single in a 2 bed house makes a diff. My gas and electric is covered by 75 quid a month DD

alanbjames 24-05-2021 14:08

Im all Elec and my DD is £109 but as u see i don't use it.

Jaymoss 24-05-2021 15:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanbjames (Post 36080574)
Im all Elec and my DD is £109 but as u see i don't use it.

£26 per week . You have not had it a month yet ;)

alanbjames 24-05-2021 15:51

i refuse to skimp on electric. If my needs must they must.

Jaymoss 24-05-2021 15:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanbjames (Post 36080584)
i refuse to skimp on electric. If my needs must they must.

so you have absolutely no use of a Smart meter. Case rested hehehehe