Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : Does Adsmart now take up some of our disc space? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33708128)

RichardCoulter 04-09-2019 19:36

Does Adsmart now take up some of our disc space?

AIUI, Adsmart on Sky uses up some of the disc space.

Is this the same for Virgin Media?

cheekyangus 04-09-2019 20:10

Re: Does Adsmart now take up some of our disc space?

On-demand on Sky uses disk space, it stores information to help avoid buffering while watching content. Likely it does it for Adsmart for the same reasons.

Virgin Media's on-demand tech works consistently well enough it doesn't need to do that, so it will not need to use space on their boxes for the service I'd have thought.

pip08456 04-09-2019 20:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36008782)
On-demand on Sky uses disk space, it stores information to help avoid buffering while watching content. Likely it does it for Adsmart for the same reasons.

Virgin Media's on-demand tech works consistently well enough it doesn't need to do that, so it will not need to use space on their boxes for the service I'd have thought.

No, targeted ads are downloaded onto the hard drive.

Quote:

Sky will send a library of ads over satellite to the hard disc of a Sky+HD set-top box. Based on the information its customers have provided, relevant ads are inserted into live broadcast streams.
Link

cheekyangus 04-09-2019 21:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36008796)
No, targeted ads are downloaded onto the hard drive.

Link

Clearly you misunderstood me, you just said what I thought I said. :)

pip08456 05-09-2019 08:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36008838)
Clearly you misunderstood me, you just said what I thought I said. :)

Really

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36008782)

cheekyangus 05-09-2019 09:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36008885)
Really

Yes really.

I said the reason it uses disk space on Sky. You said disk space is used.

I was saying that Sky uses disk space for both on-demand content and Adsmart, and the reason why was probably the same, that they wouldn't want a delay because of a inconsistent internet connection, so downloading to disk in advance is the answer.

Then I said VM's tech was better (in this regard at least) so they don't need to do this for on-demand, so therefore likely wouldn't need to for Adsmart.

Obviously a "live content stream" isn't "on-demand", I wasn't saying it was, I was simply saying that because Sky use a method for on-demand, and use the same method for Adsmart, the reasoning was probably the same.

I sincerely apologise if my written words in both my prior posts on this thread and right now don't convey this to you, or others. What I believed I was saying in my brain obviously didn't make it to screen as well as I thought. I didn't realise it could be misinterpreted quite so much.

Maybe I should have just said in reply to Richard: Yes, I believe that is what happens on Sky, I haven't a clue what VM do, but at a guess they probably don't.

RichardCoulter 05-09-2019 20:43

Hopefully Spiderplant will see this and know the answer.

spiderplant 05-09-2019 20:54

They are stored on the disc, but I've never seen more than half a dozen stored at any one time. So less space than a single ad-break of a recorded programme would take.

RichardCoulter 05-09-2019 22:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36008996)
They are stored on the disc, but I've never seen more than half a dozen stored at any one time. So less space than a single ad-break of a recorded programme would take.

Thanks, so it's as little as makes no difference then :)

Do these ads get sent over the internet and is there a way to view them as I don't think i'll ever see mine due to the way I watch TV (recordings using Quickview). I'm just intrigued as to what they think i'll be interested in!

jfman 05-09-2019 22:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36008994)
Hopefully Spiderplant will see this and know the answer.

Does the average end user care? Even a cache of 50 thirty second adverts would be negligible to overall disk space.

spiderplant 05-09-2019 22:31

Yes, they are sent over the internet.

Using Quickview won't prevent ad replacement happening. But it's really hard to tell when it's happening. The only way I can think is if an old recording includes recent adverts.

---------- Post added at 22:31 ---------- Previous post was at 22:31 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36009003)
Does the average end user care?

The average end user won't be on this forum :)

cheekyangus 05-09-2019 23:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36009004)
Yes, they are sent over the internet.

Using Quickview won't prevent ad replacement happening. But it's really hard to tell when it's happening. The only way I can think is if an old recording includes recent adverts.

---------- Post added at 22:31 ---------- Previous post was at 22:31 ----------

The average end user won't be on this forum :)

Never occurred to me it would work on old recordings. Will it do it to ones I did a year ago?

spiderplant 06-09-2019 08:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36009008)
Will it do it to ones I did a year ago?

No, only ones recorded since July. There are markers in the recordings so the box can tell where each advert starts.

cheekyangus 06-09-2019 08:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36009022)
No, only ones recorded since July. There are markers in the recordings so the box can tell where each advert starts.

I thought that might be the case. Many thanks spiderplant. :)

Raider999 06-09-2019 13:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36009023)
I thought that might be the case. Many thanks spiderplant. :)

FFwd thru the ads - doesn't matter whether they are smart or not