Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Paying at the supermarket checkout (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710202)

Halcyon 08-07-2021 11:04

Paying at the supermarket checkout

I often have to do a big shop as my kids always raid the cupboards and need to go and do more food shopping.

I tend to mix the shops I go to...So buy some stuff in Tesco, Lidl, Aldi, Sainsburys.

Now when I get to the budget supermarkets (Lidl, Aldi) I am made to feel like I need to hurry and that I'm a burden to them.

As an example yesterday I was in Aldi and trying to frantically pack my shopping and the checkout girl was pointing to the card machine and trying to make me hurry up.

They scan items so fast it is hard to keep up.

I'm sure I could hear like a countdown beeping. It's like if they dont complete the sale in less than 30 seconds they'l be shot or something!

It is quite stressful when you are trying your best to pack your shpping, juggle everything, and pay.

Anyone else feel the same?

Jaymoss 08-07-2021 11:08

Re: Paying at the supermarket checkout

That is why they have a bagging shelf. As my shopping comes through the till it goes back in the trolley and then bagged after. Works loads better anyway than trying to pack right at the till

heero_yuy 08-07-2021 11:19

You can also apply a bit of science: Distribute the fresh veg along the conveyer as it slows down the checkout operator as they have to weigh it and put in the details.

Put stuff out in the order in which you will pack it, ie Heavy items and bottles first, light stuff like rolls and bread last.

I can usually keep pace with the Lidl operators. We don't have an Aldi so I don't know about them.

Some of the Sainsbury's operators are pretty fast too.

Chris 08-07-2021 11:19

IIRC they have signage telling you not to try to pack your bags at the checkout. You’re meant to chuck it back in the trolley and then bag it up at the space they’ve made for that purpose next to the exit. If she’s pointing at the card machine it’s because you’re fiddling around with your bags instead of paying the bill and moving on. She is deliberately trying to hurry you - one of the ways they keep prices down is by employing fewer checkout staff but moving people through the checkouts faster to compensate.

Halcyon 08-07-2021 11:28

Well I'm not being slow on purpose but I won't be rushed!

pip08456 08-07-2021 12:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halcyon (Post 36085653)
Well I'm not being slow on purpose but I won't be rushed!

There's no need to be rushed. Just don't pack your bags at the checkout, use the area provided.

OLD BOY 08-07-2021 14:02

Very soon, all supermarkets will be redesigned to work out what you are putting in your trolley and your bill will be sent to you via your mobile phone. That’s what they do in the new Amazon shops.

Much less stressful for everyone.

BenMcr 08-07-2021 14:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36085651)
IIRC they have signage telling you not to try to pack your bags at the checkout. You’re meant to chuck it back in the trolley and then bag it up at the space they’ve made for that purpose next to the exit. If she’s pointing at the card machine it’s because you’re fiddling around with your bags instead of paying the bill and moving on. She is deliberately trying to hurry you - one of the ways they keep prices down is by employing fewer checkout staff but moving people through the checkouts faster to compensate.

That's why the end of the checkouts usually have the cutout too - the idea is that you put your empty trolley up against it to make it easier to put stuff back in.

spiderplant 08-07-2021 14:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36085663)
Very soon, all supermarkets will be redesigned to work out what you are putting in your trolley and your bill will be sent to you via your mobile phone. That’s what they do in the new Amazon shops.

Aldi and Lidl don't even have self-checkouts (or at least not in any that I've been in). Seems they think it's cheaper to pay people than buy new technology.

BenMcr 08-07-2021 14:59

They are trialling it

https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog...peedier-sales/

But I'm not sure what advantage it would bring for most of their stores. My local Aldi would have to take out at least one till to put self-serve ones in, and I can't see it speeding anything up much. Especially considering my local one still seems very popular with full trolley shoppers.

I can only really see it being useful for them where they either have their bigger stores and have space for them or allowing them smaller locations where putting in enough of their usual tills wouldn't be possible.

Personally I always prefer using the scan and pay services when they are available. Although it's not as 'handsfree' as the Amazon version, since the mobile app versions came along it's good enough for how I shop.

Hom3r 08-07-2021 15:01

I have used scan and pack for years.

I can be in and out with a full shop in around 30 minutes.

Halcyon 08-07-2021 15:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36085659)
There's no need to be rushed. Just don't pack your bags at the checkout, use the area provided.

To tell you the truth I had never thought of doing that.

I guess becuase I use several supermarkets I hadnt realised you do it that way there.

pip08456 08-07-2021 15:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halcyon (Post 36085672)

I guess becuase I use several supermarkets I hadnt realised you do it that way there.

There you go, problem solved. I'm sure you can keep up putting your purchases back in the trolley, pay with your card and move over to the packing shelf and pack your bags at your leisure.

Jaymoss 08-07-2021 16:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halcyon (Post 36085672)

How strange you missed my reply the one directly under the OP hehehe

nomadking 08-07-2021 17:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36085668)
I have used scan and pack for years.

I can be in and out with a full shop in around 30 minutes.

Until you're selected for a check. Doesn't a proportion of the shopping have to be unpacked in order to double check you've scanned everything correctly?