Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Sky Glass TV (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710438)

Mr K 07-10-2021 20:58

Re: Bye bye Virgin Media?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36096448)
Its got an aerial socket (it’s freeview enabled), so there’s that as back-up.

For which you'd need an aerial, which defeats the object of no wires, outside house adornments ?

jfman 07-10-2021 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36096451)
For which you'd need an aerial, which defeats the object of no wires, outside house adornments ?

If anyone were to be prepared for the apocalypse with a some D size batteries, a torch, a wind up radio and an indoor antenna I’d have predicted you, Mr K. After all you’ve had 5 years to prepare. ;)

Mr K 07-10-2021 21:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36096452)
If anyone were to be prepared for the apocalypse with a some D size batteries, a torch, a wind up radio and an indoor antenna I’d have predicted you, Mr K. After all you’ve had 5 years to prepare. ;)

Funny you should say that. I've been struggling to find D size batteries lately , I blame B***** :D

nomadking 07-10-2021 21:10

So basically an all-channel version of Virgin TV Go.

jfman 07-10-2021 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36096455)
So basically an all-channel version of Virgin TV Go.

This bit isn’t quite confirmed.

Hugh 07-10-2021 21:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36096451)

Or…

Do what we do in the guest bedroom, and use an internal aerial (as back up to the Fire Stick).

nomadking 07-10-2021 21:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36096456)
This bit isn’t quite confirmed.

If it is the case that not all Sky channels will be included, doesn't that mean people will still need the dish etc for those missing channels?

jfman 07-10-2021 21:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36096458)
If it is the case that not all Sky channels will be included, doesn't that mean people will still need the dish etc for those missing channels?

Well it doesn’t have a satellite tuner, but the indication is it won’t have the same number of channels they advertise on the comparable Q package. Now they might all be FTA ones but it’s not quite confirmed. But even if FTA, there isn’t the tuner to integrate them.

nomadking 07-10-2021 22:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36096459)
Well it doesn’t have a satellite tuner, but the indication is it won’t have the same number of channels they advertise on the comparable Q package. Now they might all be FTA ones but it’s not quite confirmed. But even if FTA, there isn’t the tuner to integrate them.

Isn't it simply going to be streaming channels over the broadband connection, rather than "tuning in" to anything. It's meant to be a full satellite replacement, so should have all Sky Channels.
Quote:

For an extra £10 per month, you can get a Puck for adding the Sky Glass interface to other TVs in your room as part of Sky Whole Home. And, Sky will introduce an exchange program that lets you "regularly" swap out the TV for the newer model, too.
I wonder if that device requires the Sky Glass TV as a base station, and not something that everybody else could use.
Not sure I'd want to be tied to a limited range of TVs from one supplier.

TimeLord2018 07-10-2021 22:22

The Puck devices will only be sold with Sky Glass meaning they cannot be purchased separately.

nomadking 07-10-2021 22:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeLord2018 (Post 36096465)
The Puck devices will only be sold with a Sky Glass TV, meaning they cannot be purchased separately.

But from a technical point of view, could they be sold separately? Or do they need a Sky Glass TV in order to work?

Paul 07-10-2021 22:40

43" - Too Small
55" - Too Big.

Both my TVs are 50", which is just right for me atm.
Plus I would not want to buy another TV just to watch Sky
(One of my current ones I only got 3 months ago).

On top of that, it doesnt look like you can record (or download ?) anything.

All in all, pretty pointless. I'll wait for an actual box to appear.

Legendkiller2k 07-10-2021 23:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36096439)
Ooooh, you're such a tease....:D

Tbf it's already in the open lol their iptv service lot of testing going on now so shouldn't be long before vm broadband customers can get it, then afterwards it'll be available to anyone with decent broadband (25mbs) is what they recommend although for sd 4mbs will be plenty.

nialli 08-10-2021 10:49

I started this thread with a clumsy title. Can an admin please change it to "Sky Glass" or something more appropriate? Thanks

tweetiepooh 08-10-2021 11:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36096469)
43" - Too Small
55" - Too Big.

For our room 43" could be too big. Viewing distance between say 1m and 4m, wide range of angles. But good TV's in smaller packages aren't forthcoming.