Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   General : Is it no longer cheaper to have a phone with broadband? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705488)

RichardCoulter 07-10-2017 20:58

Is it no longer cheaper to have a phone with broadband?

A friend of mine has the minimum broadband only from VM.

I mentioned to her that ages ago I read that it was cheaper to have a phone line with it, even if it was never used (but that she could avail herself of the free weekend calls if she wished to do so). She uses her mobile as she always has it to hand and never uses up her minutes, so is unlikely to ever use it.

I said that I would try and find out the correct answer for her (she's severely disabled).

I've just tried speaking to the VM offshore call centre and, as usual, I couldn't get much sense out of them. I think that she was trying to say that it was now £27 for BB only and £29 for BB & phone.

Does anyone know the correct answer?

Many thanks.

admars 07-10-2017 21:24

Re: Is it no longer cheaper to have a phone with broadband?

I know you get a discount for having all 3, but not sure about 2, you'd have to contact Virgin again as only they understand the way it works :(

I'm going from my experience when I was going to cancel TV, so would just have phone and BB, the guy I spoke to said that the minimum TV package which is more or less freeview would be £X, but my discount for having all 3 was larger than £X, so it was cheaper for me have it than not to.

saying that, that was a while ago so if I phoned today I may get different answer.

Skie 07-10-2017 22:21

50meg: £27/pm for 12 months then £33/pm
50meg + talk weekends: £29/pm then £40/pm

So broadband and no phone does seem cheaper.

RichardCoulter 08-10-2017 03:25

Thank you very much for the replies.

Paul 08-10-2017 04:37

I dont think its ever actually been cheaper, just cheaper than paying for them individually.

Inactive Digital 08-10-2017 09:09

I seem to recall it was initially a few pence cheaper per month to have both, but after introductory discounts expired the cost was significantly more expensive - so not worth having both in the long run.

Ken W 08-10-2017 10:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skie (Post 35919419)
50meg: £27/pm for 12 months then £33/pm
50meg + talk weekends: £29/pm then £40/pm

So broadband and no phone does seem cheaper.

A friend has 100 BB and land line no TV which costs him £27 plus line rental.

heero_yuy 08-10-2017 14:21

A friend of mine is on a retention deal of 20mb broadband only at £6 a month.:shocked:

RichardCoulter 09-10-2017 01:44

I always thought that at one time it worked out a couple of quid cheaper to have both.

The reason that was speculated was that VM wanted people to have a phone line so that they would be encouraged to use VM for calls. Call charges were said to be more expensive than other providers, so they made their money that way.

This was a few years ago though.

As landline use declines, you'd think that they'd do something like this to encourage take up.

rtho782 09-10-2017 12:27

The "standard" price has always had BB only cheaper, but it used to be that you got introductory offers on Phone+BB that made it cheaper if you got a retentions deal every year.

Now that BB advertising is inclusive of line rental price wise, you get offers on both, and BB only generally works out cheaper.

RichardCoulter 09-10-2017 17:44

Ahhh right, that's probably it then.