Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Panic at the Pumps (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710400)

Hom3r 24-09-2021 18:05

Panic at the Pumps

I popped to my local Sainsbury's to get some food today, it was a nightmare to get in as the queues to the fuel station was beyond a joke.

I warned my sister on the family WhatsApp group.

She, my brother-in-law and niece all reported madness at the pumps on their routes to work.

I always fill up when I hit 1/4 tank left, but will wait a bit.

Trouble is, I 100% guarantee the pump prices will go up, and I already pay £1.50 a litre.

mrmistoffelees 24-09-2021 18:09

Re: Panic at the Pumps

SWMBO tanked up her car today (on orange and she’s back to work next week) our local filling station was busier than normal but no long queues, we are starting to see a couple of stations in our area close however.

heero_yuy 24-09-2021 18:12

Talking to the manager at the local Toby that is next to Sainsbury's apparently the petrol station was dry at 9 this morning.

Huge queues this afternoon and they had staff vetting those trying to enter the site.

Glad the tank in the car is 3/4 full.

Paul 24-09-2021 18:15

First I knew about this was queues at Morrisons today.
I was getting low as I havent filled up since August, so went to pop in today, and wow ...
Took me about 10 minutes to get to a pump, still, that should do me until November now.

1andrew1 24-09-2021 18:18

Credit to jfman yesterday who posted in the energy suppliers thread
Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36094224)
I’m sure everyone will fill up tomorrow “just in case”.

That’s how runs on banks start.

Paul 24-09-2021 18:24

Right, because no one else ever would have predicted that.

mrmistoffelees 24-09-2021 18:28

‘Don’t think of pink elephants’

heero_yuy 24-09-2021 18:43

Well it only takes somebody in El Gov. to say there's no shortage to provoke utter panic.

Hom3r 24-09-2021 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 36094348)
Well, it only takes somebody in El Gov. to say there's no shortage to provoke utter panic.

I blame the wording the News channels use, they said issues getting fuel to stations and muppets panic.

mrmistoffelees 24-09-2021 19:03

1 Attachment(s)
:D:D:D

Sephiroth 24-09-2021 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36094350)
I blame the wording the News channels use, they said issues getting fuel to stations and muppets panic.

Panicking people are not muppets...

There's that idiot Shapps saying there's no fuel shortage at the refineries (knowing full well that it's at the pumps and drivers where the problem lies).

People will always panic and do what they feel they must to mitigate their situation. Smug politicians make things worse.

Then there's that bumbling fool Boris telling 200 or so bemused UN delegates of Kermit's relevance to climate change. He's not fit to be running the UK; spouting off about climate change whilst the UK crumbles to dust around him.

Jeez.

cimt 24-09-2021 20:50

I went for petrol just then and they only had E10, no E5 or diesel.

mrmistoffelees 24-09-2021 20:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36094368)

There's that idiot Shapps saying there's no fuel shortage at the refineries (knowing full well that it's at the pumps and drivers where the problem lies).

People will always panic and do what they feel they must to mitigate their situation. Smug politicians make things worse.

Then there's that bumbling fool Boris telling 200 or so bemused UN delegates of Kermit's relevance to climate change. He's not fit to be running the UK; spouting off about climate change whilst the UK crumbles to dust around him.

Jeez.

I’d argue that those that don’t take the time to read the full story behind the sensationalist headlines are, in fact, muppets.

Mr K 24-09-2021 20:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36094368)

Jeez.

Reticent though I am to defend Boris, he's right* to prioritise climate change . It does mean certain doom unless we make dramatic changes. All the other issues facing the country/world we have a chance of dealing with; a planet where we're beyond the tipping point of climate disaster we've no chance.

* I'll delete this later..... ;)

1andrew1 24-09-2021 21:30

Quote:

Boris Johnson has bowed to months of pressure from business by authorising a temporary visa scheme covering up to 10,000 foreign workers, in order to ease a shortage of lorry drivers that has caused widespread disruption.

Ministers and officials met on Friday to sign off a package of measures, including issuing temporary visas to thousands of foreign truck drivers and meat processing workers following chaotic scenes at petrol stations and sporadic food shortages.

Downing Street hopes to make a formal announcement as early as Saturday afternoon, according to Whitehall officials. The package is expected to “last three to six months, to see us through Christmas”, one said.
For those wondering how the HGV vacancies have been created
Quote:

About 20,000 EU drivers returned home during the pandemic, according to industry estimates, but a further 50,000 British drivers with HGV licences also stopped working during the past 18 months.
https://www.ft.com/content/8335166f-...f-d7554c3b40b2