Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Security & Virus Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Do you use a Password Manager? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707315)

SnoopZ 20-01-2019 18:32

Do you use a Password Manager?

Do you use a Password Manager other than the ones built into a browser?

I use Lastpass which syncs across all my devices, but with the leak of over a billion emails/passwords for site logins i have been spending hours updating all my passwords to unique jibberish and considering purchasing there 2fa option, this is taking a while as i have to go back 20 years!

pip08456 20-01-2019 19:38

Re: Do you use a Password Manager?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35980131)
Do you use a Password Manager other than the ones built into a browser?

I use Lastpass which syncs across all my devices, but with the leak of over a billion emails/passwords for site logins i have been spending hours updating all my passwords to unique jibberish and considering purchasing there 2fa option, this is taking a while as i have to go back 20 years!

I use LastPass too, have done since it came out. I closed a lot of accounts that I no longer use. Not that it would matter as I change my passwords every 3 months on a rolling basis. Those that matter anyway.

SnoopZ 20-01-2019 19:50

Im currently closing accounts that i haven't used for several years, although i change the password first.

Do you pay for the 2fa with lastpass?

pip08456 20-01-2019 20:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35980145)
Im currently closing accounts that i haven't used for several years, although i change the password first.

Do you pay for the 2fa with lastpass?

No I get by happily with the free version.

tweetiepooh 21-01-2019 10:37

I use LastPass and am happy with it. We have the Premium so I can share passwords with family. You can share without showing what the password actually is. I've used the sharing to setup DropBox accounts for kids, then share the password with them.

I had premium when it was needed for Android. At £1.55 per month the cost is minimal.

Paul 21-01-2019 14:55

I have been using it for about 6 months, it has one annoyance though, it (inconsistantly) does not auto login itself when you first fire up the browser.

SnoopZ 21-01-2019 15:29

I never use auto login on a PC i prefer to log in with a password.

If you guys use it on an Android phone, which browser do you use with it as it isn't supported with my preferred Opera for Android, i am currently using Dolphin, it works with Chrome for Android but i don't use that anymore as it doesn't block all ads?

techguyone 21-01-2019 21:18

Bitwarden here, happily on both Android & PC

SnoopZ 24-01-2019 22:10

I just realised that on the FREE version of Lastpass you can enable 2 factor authentication, it only took me several years to find that out!

LFC Scouser 29-01-2019 14:42

I've used KeePass for about 10 years. Wonderful bit of software - don't use a cloud password manager yet but the idea of them does appeal to me.

djfunkdup 29-01-2019 14:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC Scouser (Post 35981148)
I've used KeePass for about 10 years. Wonderful bit of software - don't use a cloud password manager yet but the idea of them does appeal to me.

Just to let you know,Regarding Last Pass.The actual password is not stored on the Last Pass cloud/server.i'ts actually stored locally on the pc.So even if Last Pass was hacked they would not have access to your account as they would not have the password. Only the e-mail that was used for login that's all :)

That's why i like LastPass.i'v been using it for years with no issues and i feel it's as secure as it needs to be ,

SnoopZ 29-01-2019 16:51

I'm loving lastpass even more since I setup 2fa on pc and mobile, highly recommend using it if you guys don't have it setup.

---------- Post added at 16:51 ---------- Previous post was at 16:48 ----------

And if using it on mobile it integrates perfectly with the Dolphin browser as it doesn't with alot of others.

tweetiepooh 30-01-2019 10:40

You can setup one time passwords and other recovery mechanisms for LastPass.

SnoopZ 30-01-2019 11:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 35981237)
You can setup one time passwords and other recovery mechanisms for LastPass.

I need to look into setting up a recovery mechanism because if i lose my phone i wont get a text message and the lastpass authenticator won't be available to me.

---------- Post added at 11:21 ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 ----------

Any idea how to setup a recovery if my phone is lost?

I've setup a security email, but i don't see anywhere i can use it if the phone is lost.

tweetiepooh 31-01-2019 09:06

You can create a one-time-password table, print it and lock it away.

Lastpass can also do things like let you in if you are using a computer you've used before and know some details on the account. They do their best but need to be secure.