Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   General IT Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Advice PC (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33708240)

nashville 02-10-2019 19:52

Advice PC

MY PC keeps closing down and saying I have an error then it restarts. Do I need a new PC as I have had it 10 years, ( windows 10 ) . Does not do it every day, But can do it three times another day. Thanks

Hugh 02-10-2019 19:53

Re: Advice PC

What is the error code?

heero_yuy 02-10-2019 20:16

You don't need a new PC. You need to find the source of the problem: I'd run a full virus scan including adware. Add Spybot search and destroy.

My main PC is quite old, was originally 98SE now XP SP3, loads of storage ( >4 terabytes) as it's my media server as well as the day-to-day machine. But it runs well. I keep the defences up to date and a firewall in the router.

daveeb 02-10-2019 20:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by nashville (Post 36012560)
MY PC keeps closing down and saying I have an error then it restarts. Do I need a new PC as I have had it 10 years, ( windows 10 ) . Does not do it every day, But can do it three times another day. Thanks

If you have a look in Event Viewer it may shed some light...just look at system events just prior to the shutdown.

nashville 03-10-2019 01:31

Thanks everyone, I will have a look tomorrow, and see if I find the error code,

Halcyon 07-10-2019 16:41

Backing up all your files to an external drive and a fresh install of Windows often does it the world of good. After 10 years of use Windows does breakdown.

nomadking 07-10-2019 16:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halcyon (Post 36013082)
Backing up all your files to an external drive and a fresh install of Windows often does it the world of good. After 10 years of use Windows does breakdown.

But does that preserve all of the installed apps and their settings? Or do you have install them all again from scratch?

nashville 07-10-2019 19:52

it is only a few months since Wondows 10 was reinstalled. , Since I made my post the P C has been ok since, so maybe it will be ok , fingers crossed

Halcyon 08-10-2019 09:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36013083)
But does that preserve all of the installed apps and their settings? Or do you have install them all again from scratch?

All apps, files, and anything you've customized would have to be re-installed.

tweetiepooh 08-10-2019 10:33

But if config is in files rather than the silly registry you may be able to restore them from backup.

nashville 08-10-2019 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halcyon (Post 36013178)
All apps, files, and anything you've customized would have to be re-installed.

It was reinstalled by a professional shop I always deal with. So Far now so good ,

Gavin78 09-10-2019 20:29

If it's 10 years old it could be a number of things I would go with either HD failure or PSU failure. It depends on how much you use it and what you use it for

jonbxx 10-10-2019 09:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin78 (Post 36013403)
If it's 10 years old it could be a number of things I would go with either HD failure or PSU failure. It depends on how much you use it and what you use it for

Yeah, if it's an old PC and the OS ad software are up to date, I would look at the power supply first and they can and do go bad, especially if it's a budget unit with cheaper capacitors.

It might also be worth checking the CPU temperatures in case the thermal paste has dried out or the heat sink is blocked. CPU-Z or similar programs are good for this

nashville 11-10-2019 17:34

just to let you all know my PC was in for repair and tested . They could not find any fault as it never closed down once,, I have been on it now for 3 hours and it seems fine. One problem is if I go into FB it will not open and says there is a problem and cannot open at present . So I think this was the problem, But FB is ok on my Ipad. Should I delete FB from my PC all together,?

daveeb 11-10-2019 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by nashville (Post 36013576)
just to let you all know my PC was in for repair and tested . They could not find any fault as it never closed down once,, I have been on it now for 3 hours and it seems fine. One problem is if I go into FB it will not open and says there is a problem and cannot open at present . So I think this was the problem, But FB is ok on my Ipad. Should I delete FB from my PC all together,?

I doubt FB is the issue, it's an online resource and not physically installed on a pc afaik.
Perhaps your pc just isn't really up to running windows 10, it is 10 years old after all.