Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   VOD : Netflix/Streaming Services (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33695779)

Doug P 05-01-2014 17:54

re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Just cancelled Netflix. Simply not me but understand many love it and that is great....

Happy viewing folks.....

toady 05-01-2014 18:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug P (Post 35660267)
Just cancelled Netflix. Simply not me but understand many love it and that is great....

Happy viewing folks.....

Its not for everyone, I didn't think it would suit me as we love watching movies, but decided to subscribe and to get rid of Sky Movies and save money in the process even though Sky shows more newer films.

LondonRoad 05-01-2014 19:39

I'm enjoying what netflix has to offer for now. Particularly enjoying Sons of Anarchy and House of cards. I'll try some of the others when I have time.

I'd definitely keep if they could sort the profiles out on tivo. As things stand my kids can only use it when I'm around which isn't ideal.

weenie 05-01-2014 20:46

That is the only problem I have, need to keep a eye on what my 11 year is watching...whereas with the movies on Virgin he can't as I have locked with parent control, maybe Netflix will do this in the future who knows???

passingbat 05-01-2014 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by weenie (Post 35660326)
That is the only problem I have, need to keep a eye on what my 11 year is watching...whereas with the movies on Virgin he can't as I have locked with parent control, maybe Netflix will do this in the future who knows???

You can do it now on Netflix via the settings on the website

clayts 05-01-2014 21:42

Finished Breaking Bad last night, will now watch Season 3 of Nurse Jackie (BBC2 had it up to Season 2 before it disappeared onto Sky Atlantic - http://www.theguardian.com/media/201...o-sky-atlantic) before moving onto either Orange Is..., Hemlock Grove or House of Cards... cannot decide which yet

LondonRoad 05-01-2014 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35660334)
You can do it now on Netflix via the settings on the website

You can't use profiles on the tivo so what ever setting I apply to my profile applies to the tivo.

Even if the parental settings are set low the images of horror movies are still visible. It's good that the movies can't be viewed but it also means I have to keep changing the settings anytime I want to watch House of cards, etc.

It is a work around but it is a nuisance.

Kabaal 05-01-2014 22:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by clayts (Post 35660336)
before moving onto either Orange Is..., Hemlock Grove or House of Cards... cannot decide which yet

I'd suggest you watch Orange and House of Cards before Hemlock, in any order as they are both excellent. Hemlock Grove while still good is easily the weakest of their series and is aimed more at a younger audience than the other 2.

vincerooney 06-01-2014 10:13

Netflix is pretty darn good after reviewing it over the christmas period. May subscribe for a further few months. If we'd got that in the XL package for no extra price i'd be quite tolerant of the further price increase in february. Just a shame its not included!

Stuart 06-01-2014 16:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabaal (Post 35659487)
Only being a single dollar cheaper, losing HD and being limited to one device i can't see that one getting much uptake.

Hopefully they start experimenting with higher tiers that offer more than just extra devices. I wouldn't mind paying a little more for DTS audio for example.

You might find they have changed the back end software used to provide the service so they can offer multiple tiers and this one non hd-stream to one device for a dollar less tier is merely a test for that.

passingbat 06-01-2014 17:08

A single user, SD only stream at a lower price might interest people who only watch Netflix while commuting to work etc. on their smart phone or low res tablet.

Netflix may also have in mind bundling it with some mobile phone plans like they do with music services such as Spotify?

johnathome 06-01-2014 23:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 35660432)
Netflix is pretty darn good after reviewing it over the christmas period. May subscribe for a further few months. If we'd got that in the XL package for no extra price i'd be quite tolerant of the further price increase in february. Just a shame its not included!

Totally agree. I've started watching OITNB and Lillehammer.

I've also watched all 3 seasons of Weeds, i had to get a DNS into my SmartTV so i can watch the rest of it.

muppetman11 08-01-2014 10:41

Quote:

What sets it apart from the rest for me is 1080p streaming with 5.1 audio. Do Lovefilm do 5.1 audio ?

passingbat 08-01-2014 11:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35661002)
. Do Lovefilm do 5.1 audio ?

Not generally. I think I saw something that said they were introducing it on one specific device, though memory is a bit hazy as it was a while ago that I saw it.

OLD BOY 08-01-2014 12:21

Quote:

I agree! There's more decent material on Netflix than all the Sky channels put together (sport excluded of course)!