Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797] (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33628733)

OF1975 14-04-2008 10:41

Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:

Originally Posted by popper (Post 34527998)
they probably mean one of the 11 RAS's see #2175

That most likely kills that idea then LOL

Ravenheart 14-04-2008 10:47

Right, I've tried FF 2 with dephormation both enabled and disabled, and no Phorm activity.

I've also been running FF3 beta 5 since it came out, and this morning was the first time any Phorm connection had triggered. And there's been nothing since.

Also wouldn't the Dephormation cookie only react/respond to a request from Phorm?

Anyone seen a van of teenagers with a great dane who could help with this ;)

ceedee 14-04-2008 10:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravenheart (Post 34527986)
Ok, I've rebooted, and tried both FF 2.0.0.13 with Dephormation running and FF3 beta 5 without Dephormation and there's no sign of any Phorm activity.

Surely if it was the dephormation cookie it would fire peer Guardian off in FF2?

I'm all confused now (easily done)

I'm running FF 2.0.0.13 with the Dephormation add-on active plus PG2 (both P2P + Ads lists, plus those two IPs added manually) and nothing gets triggered when I visit the BT forum but it's blocking the Phorm website completely.

I'll leave it running so it can check me browsing to lots of suspect sites and report back anything interesting.

edit: Oh, and I'm on cable.ubr02.bath.blueyonder.co.uk if it's any interest...

---------- Post added at 10:56 ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravenheart (Post 34528001)
Also wouldn't the Dephormation cookie only react/respond to a request from Phorm?

Anyone seen a van of teenagers with a great dane who could help with this ;)

Nope.
But Dephormation Pete is often to be found lurking in the VM newsgroups.
He's hardly one of the pesky kids, mind you...
;)

Ursine 14-04-2008 11:05

I will also leave PG running and see if it returns any more Phorm hits,

Does anyone know how access and copy the Peer Guardian logs.

As I have mentioned previously I am not very techie and usually depend upon friends to aid me when I mess up, I really need someone who knows to advise me on this as I don't want to sidetrack anyone the day before the public meeting.

Would running FF 2.0.0.13 with the dephormation plugin disabled still show hits in Peer Guardian.
I have now removed the dephormation plugin and am no longer getting Phorm hits on PG2.

I really don't want to be seen as one of the tin-foil hat brigade but is it possible we stumbled on another trial which was shut down as soon as it was mentioned on here.

Portly_Giraffe 14-04-2008 11:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdadyslexia (Post 34527954)
Would it be possible for some one to publish a list of standard letters, to ISP's & MP's

I am sorry if there is a list of standard letters, but I did not see it!

I will publish a set based on amateria's templates at http://www.inphormationdesk.org later this week
(as soon as I get time) and will let the board know.

In other news I have emailed details of the story to the newsdesks of five tabloids under the heading "BT in criminal spy row". It'll be interesting to see if there's any response. Do we know which tabloid newspapers might be considering signing up with OIX?

ceedee 14-04-2008 11:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ursine (Post 34528007)
I will also leave PG running and see if it returns any more Phorm hits,
Does anyone know how access and copy the Peer Guardian logs.

Good question -- looks like an sql database.
Anybody got any _simple_ suggestions how we can check the logs?

Quote:

As I have mentioned previously I am not very techie and usually depend upon friends to aid me when I mess up, I really need someone who knows to advise me on this as I don't want to sidetrack anyone the day before the public meeting.
Shouldn't worry, Ursine. Those with better things to do can get on with them now there are a few of us monitoring PG2.
Welcome to the PG-Phorm Detectopm club! :)

Quote:

Would running FF 2.0.0.13 with the dephormation plugin disabled still show hits in Peer Guardian.
I have now removed the dephormation plugin and am no longer getting Phorm hits on PG2.
Which sites were you visiting to get those hits on PG2?

Quote:

I really don't want to be seen as one of the tin-foil hat brigade but is it possible we stumbled on another trial which was shut down as soon as it was mentioned on here.
It's possible but frankly unlikely. Who can tell what Phorm are capable of?
And VM have lost what little trust I had, so without becoming paranoid I think it's wise to be vigilant.

3x2 14-04-2008 11:19

RE: phorm.com/ff/dephormation

I really can't see any tests/results being valid ATM - there is little chance that Phorm is up and running on any exchange. BT are trying desperately to dig themselves out of "tens of thousands" of existing criminal offences. Can't see them adding more fuel by secretly running Phorm while this is going on.

Ravenheart 14-04-2008 11:22

Ursine,

Click view history to see the logs, there's little tabs with blocked addresses etc.

I did think it was odd that i stopped getting Phorm info after my call (that they hung up on) to customer services.

strange coincidence.. now where's my tinfoil hat I think i'm going to need it today

ceedee 14-04-2008 11:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by popper (Post 34527998)
they probably mean one of the 11 RAS's see #2175
"it appears they might have used the equivalent of a cable super head end to plug that DPA kit into, for DSL so thats one of the RAS."

I'm pretty sure I read that BT's new tests (which should be starting any time now?) would be based in Ealing and Croydon (which isn't the site of an RAS).

I've not heard of BT recruiting willing test subjects for the new trials so maybe they are more blind trials just setting cookies without swapping any OIX adverts?

Anybody here from the BT forums got more information?

OF1975 14-04-2008 11:35

To make it easier to monitor what is blocked by PG2 make sure you uncheck the "show allowed connections" box. That way you will only see the blocked items.

---------- Post added at 11:35 ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 ----------

I was just googling for news on Phorm to see how widely the new relevations have been publicised yet but while doing so I came across this interesting article drawing a comparison between GM foods and Phorm and I found it quite interesting. Apologies if its been posted already and I missed it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...pr/11/phorm.gm

Florence 14-04-2008 11:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptJamieHunter (Post 34527985)
The point that woke me up was

"Documents seen by The Register suggest that Phorm tests were performed at exchange level."

Does that mean that customers of non-dePhormed ISPs (Aquiss, for example) who use a BT line would have their data shoved over to Phorm anyway?

I spoke to Aquiss's MD, about this, his reply.
"He has already raised his concerns about that exact point over 3 weeks ago, but yet Phorm have not been forthcoming with any information or even ackowledged registered post."

Again this doesn't show the transparency that Phorm shout they have maybe Simon from 80/20 could get some answers since this would be an infringement of my privacy since I am not a BT Broadband customer or Virgin when on Aquiss and Aquiss are not signed up to trial Phorm.

Another snippet seems VM are in the news for more underhanded work this time with BBC iplayer.
Anyway anyone want Neils email addy neil.berkett@virginmedia.co.uk if the mods feel the need to remove this then members wanting please PM and I will forward it.

CaptJamieHunter 14-04-2008 11:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Portly_Giraffe (Post 34528010)
I will publish a set based on amateria's templates at http://www.inphormationdesk.org later this week
(as soon as I get time) and will let the board know.

In other news I have emailed details of the story to the newsdesks of five tabloids under the heading "BT in criminal spy row". It'll be interesting to see if there's any response. Do we know which tabloid newspapers might be considering signing up with OIX?

There's a letter I've written to various MPs and peers at http://thesection.pwp.blueyonder.co....en_letter.html - it's a bit out of date as it was written on 4th April but feel free to use any of it you find useful.

popper 14-04-2008 11:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceedee (Post 34528021)
I'm pretty sure I read that BT's new tests (which should be starting any time now?) would be based in Ealing and Croydon (which isn't the site of an RAS).

I've not heard of BT recruiting willing test subjects for the new trials so maybe they are more blind trials just setting cookies without swapping any OIX adverts?

Anybody here from the BT forums got more information?

well lets not forget that a blind trial setting or reading cookies not set by the websites your viewing is still unlawful..... without consent.

sure we might chose to ignore it, but if its a site your visiting then it might be said that you are authorising that site to use your PC ram/HD to store a cookie.

if BT/Vm do start blind trials to see if their cookies are working right as you browse to were ever, the sites cookie is fine, the blind trials is not as you didnt say they can store or read a cookie from them.

unless OC you went to their website were it got placed, in which case that becomes as the other sites you visit.

Ursine 14-04-2008 11:47

Ceedee

Thanks for the reassurance and the welcome.
Around 9 am this morning I was trying to access the BT beta forum and all access was blocked by Phorm hits on PG2 also the accessing the Cable forum but Phorm hits only showed when I looked at this thread, on checking PG's history logs it shows that ( Error 9.07 am) 10.12.01 am was the last hits from Phorm .
I then uninstalled the dephormation plugin and have since seen no more Phorm hits onPG2.:)

Again my appologies I have been reading the PG logs the wrong way round ( I did say I wasn't very techie ), and the last Phorm hit showing on the PG logs is 10.12.01 am this morning.

Whats the smiley for looking sheepish

OF1975 14-04-2008 11:53

Ok there seems to be a problem with the petition I started a few days ago. I can pull up the actual petition page but when I click on view signatures I get a 500 server error no matter which browser I use. This has lasted a few hours now. Could someone else try it for me please. Much appreciation in advance.