Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797] (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33628733)

lucevans 13-04-2008 17:06

Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Well-known already, I know, but I couldn't resist...

HEWITT, Rt. Hon. Patricia (Leicester West)

1. Remunerated directorships
BT Group plc (non-executive)

2. Remunerated employment, office, profession etc
Special consultant, Alliance Boots Ltd. (£45,001-£50,000)
Senor Adviser, Cinven. (£55,001-£60,000)

I wonder why they don't list her income as a BT non-exec. ? Maybe she gets a dividend of the webwise profits....

80/20Thinking 13-04-2008 17:11

Thanks for all the feedback folks. I'll be responding in the next hour or so after a "very" late breakfast.

Bonglet 13-04-2008 17:17

Exactly johnhorb there all in it together trying to fleece us with the information they have been paid to publish by phorm themselves ;).

JohnHorb 13-04-2008 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonglet (Post 34527556)
Exactly johnhorb there all in it together trying to fleece us with the information they have been paid to publish by phorm themselves ;).

I'm not quite so cynical, but I await with interest any comments from Simon when he's had his breakfast.

Pasanonic 13-04-2008 17:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by 80/20Thinking (Post 34527551)
Thanks for all the feedback folks. I'll be responding in the next hour or so after a "very" late breakfast.

Thanks for returning Simon.

I have, since my questions, read some of your recent statements on the issue of conflict of interest yet would like to read more. However may I respectfully ask that you refrain from constantly referring to your work with PI and in particular previous campaigns with that group as it only confuses the issue and has no relevance to your position in 80/20 with regards to the Phorm issues. It also seeks to add some credibility to your current position that I feel is an incorrect inference.
Those things are past and we can only discuss the current situation and judge the matter on your responses as a sub-contracted employee of Phorm Inc.

unless you are the result of some hideous and secret government led, genetic experiment ( which as conspiracy nuts we all know goes on ;)) then I suggest that you only have one head and therefore may only wear the one hat here.

kindest regards

Craig.

AlexanderHanff 13-04-2008 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasanonic (Post 34527541)
I have not researched anything on here Alexander but feel free to wade through it if you feel there may be something of value.

http://www.publications.parliament.u...m/cmregmem.htm

The entire register is obfuscated in the way it is published. It should be held in a central database which can be queried. Even the original Register for 2006/2007 before any updates is a 137 page document, it would take a week or more to go through the entire register to find the information you are looking for :/

Alexander Hanff

Pasanonic 13-04-2008 17:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff (Post 34527568)
The entire register is obfuscated in the way it is published. It should be held in a central database which can be queried. Even the original Register for 2006/2007 before any updates is a 137 page document, it would take a week or more to go through the entire register to find the information you are looking for :/

Alexander Hanff

I know Alexander.
I have since posting the link been going into it myself. Obfuscation was the first thing to come to mind. I think I might strip all the information as a single text document and have a bot search it for relevant keywords when I go to bed.
( I can do this with public domain information right? rhetorical )

However I am a simple man who enjoys football and as my team are playing right now and have the upper hand I have partaken of a few beers and such a project might have to wait until tomorrow.

Bonglet 13-04-2008 17:42

Ahaaa caught in the act i think heres the one knew i'd find it somewhere ;)
i now wouldnt belive anything you told me at all sorry to say one of your other friends is here posting as phormprteam might be your ceo or someone with shares :P.

* Phorm now has 5 PR teams.
Citigate,
Freud,
John Stonborough,
Burson-Marsteller <--- parent company of 80/20,
and its own "small" in-house team.

So all of you guys going to this meeting *cough PR STUNT of the highest order* be sure to know that all there have deals tied with phorm so expect them to drift around the law and order aspects and spend nearly all of it with promoting how good phorm is and why we should have it thrust upon adding latency to networks as well as be the most intrusive piece of kit ever thought of by any ex spyware company.

JohnHorb 13-04-2008 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonglet (Post 34527578)

'Strategic partner' rather than 'parent company' (I think), but the rest stands.

Bonglet 13-04-2008 17:50

same strategy then destroy the opposition as the KEY strategy :P, still think its an offshoot myself rather than a standalone company
you can belive him if you want i wouldnt no matter his previous interests.

Pasanonic 13-04-2008 17:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonglet (Post 34527578)
Ahaaa caught in the act i think heres the one knew i'd find it somewhere ;)

* Phorm now has 5 PR teams.
Citigate,
Freud,
John Stonborough,
and its own "small" in-house team.

So all of you guys going to this meeting *cough PR STUNT of the highest order* be sure to know that all there have deals tied with phorm so expect them to drift around the law and order aspects and spend nearly all of it with promoting how good phorm is and why we should have it thrust upon adding latency to netowrks as well as be the most intrusive piece of kit ever thought of by any ex spyware company.

Having read this thread for some time I thought it was quite clear that the meeting was for and on behalf of Phorm as a part of their ongoing efforts to educate academics and interested parties so that they might then become 'on side'
There is nothing wrong with this, nor is it much of a stunt. It's good business practise if you can be confident of your business model. It can however backfire in a humongous way.

This is why it is important that we ( I say we and I know we are nothing more than a loosely connected group of dissenters right now ) have intelligent, informed and rational advocates at the meeting to ensure that it does not become the PR whitewash that may have been originally intended.

You have to be fair to Phorm Inc. and its representatives. They have every right to do this and if they can convince people that this is their means to transparency then it makes good sense.

I would expect anyone in our camp to ensure before the meeting starts that all parties on any committee including the chair declare their interests in the minutes. This is why it is important that academic and informed people are there to speak. I was reading with horror about masks and publicity stunts to gain attention. This is far from the way to manage things and no less of a 'stunt' than people are complaining about.

Which I forgot to ask. Will there be minutes on public record?

AlexanderHanff 13-04-2008 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasanonic (Post 34527587)
Which I forgot to ask. Will there be minutes on public record?

I am hoping to take a camcorder and tripod with me, so I will be recording the entire meeting (or at least from when I manage to get there) and releasing it on YouTube.

Alexander Hanff

Pasanonic 13-04-2008 18:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff (Post 34527589)
I am hoping to take a camcorder and tripod with me, so I will be recording the entire meeting (or at least from when I manage to get there) and releasing it on YouTube.

Alexander Hanff

I shall be opening photoshop and drawing you a medal sir! You are dedicated beyond the call. I'd still hope that they have a neutral chair and transcripts later but of course you can not argue with a good video on youtube.

I might register my interest if I can wrangle some things. It seems too important to miss.

AlexanderHanff 13-04-2008 18:22

I would rather you used Gimp or Inkscape :p

But on a serious note, I should be able to borrow one from my university (camcorder and tripod) as the meeting is directly related to my dissertation.

Alexander Hanff

Pasanonic 13-04-2008 18:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff (Post 34527617)
I would rather you used Gimp or Inkscape :p

Alexander Hanff

Would that I could Alexander, would that I could.
Sadly neither open or free program is able to assist me in the hobby I have.
http://www.tattyworld.net/userposts/846

I apologise for going off topic, being new I get a bit chatty beyond what is needed.