Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   US President Joe Biden (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709710)

jfman 22-01-2021 10:46

Re: President Joe Biden’s first 100 days in office

Trying to use Parliamentary shenanigans to overturn the outcome of the vote in history only ends badly. The Trump supporters and those trying to impeach Biden need to learn the lesson of the Liberal Democrats.

heero_yuy 22-01-2021 10:47

Apparently the bust of Churchill has been replaced by that of Chavez. (No not that one)

Quote:

Quote from abc news: WASHINGTON -- Paul Chavez had no idea where a sculpture of his father, Latino American civil rights and labor leader Cesar Chavez, would end up in the White House.

He agreed just this week to lend the bronze bust to President Joe Biden and hustled to get it wrapped up and shipped across the country from California. It was an utter surprise Wednesday when he saw Biden at his desk in the Oval Office, with the bust of the late Cesar Chavez right behind the president.

“We're still smiling cheek to cheek,” Paul Chavez said in an interview Thursday.

Biden pressed themes of unity and inclusivity and advocacy for racial justice during the campaign, and Chavez said Biden appeared to be trying to convey that through a series of quick decorative changes he's made to the world's most powerful office.

Chris 22-01-2021 10:53

The Oval Office decor is supposed to reflect the incoming president’s priorities and influences. It isn’t a statement about whether or not the American President loves or hates Winston Churchill or the British. I’m not entirely certain when the idea took hold that this was the case, but it’s quite silly.

papa smurf 22-01-2021 10:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36067517)
The Oval Office decor is supposed to reflect the incoming president’s priorities and influences. It isn’t a statement about whether or not the American President loves or hates Winston Churchill or the British. I’m not entirely certain when the idea took hold that this was the case, but it’s quite silly.

I read somewhere that the bust was loaned to Bush and they never returned it,i have no idea if that is true or not.

Maggy 22-01-2021 11:26

Quote:

:tu:

1andrew1 22-01-2021 11:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36067519)
I read somewhere that the bust was loaned to Bush and they never returned it,i have no idea if that is true or not.

Hugh posted a link here. There were apparently two busts. One's there permanently, the other was loaned whilst Bush was President.

---------- Post added at 11:36 ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 ----------

Quote:

I think that was just a device used Obama's opponents to portray him as being anti-British.

Damien 22-01-2021 11:41

It does make us look a bit desperate and sad to be upset about that kinda thing.

jfman 22-01-2021 12:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36067528)
It does make us look a bit desperate and sad to be upset about that kinda thing.

Quite a collapse from the Empire on which the sun never set.

nomadking 22-01-2021 12:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36067528)

Upset? Who? Where? Or are they merely commenting.

jfman 22-01-2021 12:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36067538)

Most of the comments seem to infer deeper meaning, or try to gleam some interpretation from it that likely doesn't exist.

It could be that someone who takes pride in their Irish descent doesn't want to look at a British, alcoholic, racist all day. It might just be because it's ugly. I guess we will never know...

Chris 22-01-2021 12:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36067539)
Most of the comments seem to infer deeper meaning, or try to gleam some interpretation from it that likely doesn't exist.

It could be that someone who takes pride in their Irish descent doesn't want to look at a British, alcoholic, racist all day. It might just be because it's ugly. I guess we will never know...

Is that you, Joseph ...?

Damien 22-01-2021 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36067538)

Well I've connected it to when Obama did the same thing and there was a tiff about it in the British Press to the point Obama himself was asked about it.

Angua 22-01-2021 16:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36067544)
Well I've connected it to when Obama did the same thing and there was a tiff about it in the British Press to the point Obama himself was asked about it.

Odd that there is not a bust of Roosevelt in the PMs office, but there ya go.

jonbxx 22-01-2021 18:20

US Embassy in Londons' response to the bust nonsense - https://twitter.com/USAinUK/status/1352642302091653121

Paul 22-01-2021 18:53

I think thats enough about a bust of Winston Churchill, or anyone else.
If thats all people can find to talk about for his first 100 days then we can close this.