Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Warning about the Now TV HD trial. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707778)

RichardCoulter 13-06-2019 01:02

Warning about the Now TV HD trial.

If you get an invitation to take part in this testing, I recommend reading through the terms and conditions before deciding whether to accept.

They say that you could be held liable for any losses they suffer due to your actions or those of members of your household. Also, you don't seem to get anything out of it - you can only take part in the trial using passes that you have paid for, and it seems to imply that they may charge people extra to take part in the trial in the future, although it does say that they will warn you if that is the case.

Stephen 13-06-2019 10:11

Re: Warning about the Now TV HD trial.

And..... It's a public test not a free trial.

Why would 6iy expect it to be free?

jfman 13-06-2019 18:28

Any losses they suffer due to your actions? Yeah - piracy. Nothing new there.

RichardCoulter 13-06-2019 20:20

I wondered what they meant.

There are rumours that Now TV in HD will cost an extra £2 a month, I wonder if this will cannibalise their satellite service??

Stephen 13-06-2019 21:17

What do you mean by that? £2 extra isn't too bad to get HD.

It's totally separate from the Sky service.

RichardCoulter 13-06-2019 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35999064)
What do you mean by that? £2 extra isn't too bad to get HD.

It's totally separate from the Sky service.

I mean if people can get Sky channels in HD at a cheaper price, they may be tempted to ditch the more expensive satellite product.

Stephen 13-06-2019 21:26

You don't have the same range of channels/services though on Now TV.

Many people that take up Now TV do so as a temporary service or for a second TV/device.

jfman 13-06-2019 21:39

I’d imagine the vast majority of non-enthusiasts, if price was an issue, would settle for 720p anyway so the net effect on the satellite service would be minimal.

Dude111 15-06-2019 20:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter
I wondered what they meant.

I dunno but I dont care for HD .. Standard def is fine and always has been :)

Stephen 15-06-2019 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude111 (Post 35999234)

SD was fine back in the dark ages of movies and other media. HD and 4K are the current best ways to see and hear things now. The detail you can see in 4k is unbelievable. Watching classic movies in this format is outstanding.

OLD BOY 18-06-2019 19:10

Quote:

You might think differently when you trade in your 9" black and white set. :D

---------- Post added at 19:10 ---------- Previous post was at 19:09 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35999237)
SD was fine back in the dark ages of movies and other media. HD and 4K are the current best ways to see and hear things now. The detail you can see in 4k is unbelievable. Watching classic movies in this format is outstanding.

100% agree!

daveeb 18-06-2019 19:55

Quote:

It seemed fine back in the day but now I think it's horrible. I can only watch stuff in 1080 or preferably 4K these days. The missus can't tell the difference :shocked:

Stuart 20-06-2019 09:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35998894)
If you get an invitation to take part in this testing, I recommend reading through the terms and conditions before deciding whether to accept.

They say that you could be held liable for any losses they suffer due to your actions or those of members of your household. Also, you don't seem to get anything out of it - you can only take part in the trial using passes that you have paid for, and it seems to imply that they may charge people extra to take part in the trial in the future, although it does say that they will warn you if that is the case.

I haven't read them, but TBH, they sound like standard terms and conditions. I've certainly seen variants of the one about the user being held liable for any losses the supplier incurs due to the actions of the user, usually along with one that states the supplier will not be held responsible for any actions the user takes. That's standard. Same as the warning that they may charge for a given product or trial in the future. They may or may not introduce a charge, but this means they are protected against any complaint should they do so.

RichardCoulter 21-06-2019 19:47

Now TV are going to start sending out surveys asking if people would be prepared to pay more for HD, 1080i etc.

They are also going to ask if people would be happy to pay less if the service was restricted eg only one device, 720. They have also, (for the first time AFAIK) acknowledged that they are aware that some people give their log in details to family and friends.

The question "do you share your password to others" will also be asked.

I suggest that the answer to this question is considered carefully, given that it's against their t&c's and you are liable for any losses that they incur as mentioned above...

Stephen 21-06-2019 20:12

Or the likely outcome will be like Netflix where you can watch on a certain number of devices with the same account.

I wouldn't worry about how you answer the survey. It is very likely to be anonymous.