Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   [Updated]U.S hold diplomatic Summit with North Korea (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704749)

Hugh 12-03-2018 12:16

Re: North Korea

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35940353)
Wow Damien you either super stupid or super intelligent IDK.

They are so suddenly bothered because their long time sponsor (China) has acted.

Or, they've realised that they can manipulate Trump - they've got him to agree to meet, which no other President would do; what Trump has given them is a massive ego boost, by saying Kim Jong Un has made Trump meet with him by building up his ICBM and nuclear arsenal - tremendous publicity coup.

Kim Jong Un wants to be seen as Donald Trump’s equal, and a meeting would do that - just by sitting down with President Trump, Kim Jong Un would get what he craves the most: legitimacy.

He wants to be treated as an equal by the global superpower, and a photo opportunity with the most powerful leader in the free world would go a long way to helping him achieve that, and this is what his father and his grandfather wanted: to be on the same footing as the world’s greatest power.

One commentator said “A meeting with the American president has for decades been considered the prize at the end of a successful denuclearization process, not an incentive to get the process started, and neither Kim’s father nor grandfather made it to that finish line,” he added. “So I have to grudgingly take my hat off to Kim because he’s played a very poor hand brilliantly to get there.”

by the way, just because someone disagrees with you, doesn't give you the right to be very rude and call them super stupid; it's a very complex subject, not easily resolvable.

alanbjames 12-03-2018 12:23

Im sure i read somewhere that China has become more and more distant from North Korea over the past few years. Phaps China has told Kim where to go basically.

Damien 12-03-2018 12:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35940366)
Or, they've realised that they can manipulate Trump - they've got him to agree to meet, which no other President would do; what Trump has given them is a massive ego boost, by saying Kim Jong Un has made Trump meet with him by building up his ICBM and nuclear arsenal - tremendous publicity coup.

Kim Jong Un wants to be seen as Donald Trump’s equal, and a meeting would do that - just by sitting down with President Trump, Kim Jong Un would get what he craves the most: legitimacy.

He wants to be treated as an equal by the global superpower, and a photo opportunity with the most powerful leader in the free world would go a long way to helping him achieve that, and this is what his father and his grandfather wanted: to be on the same footing as the world’s greatest power.

:tu:

It's a positive development if the North Koreans are interesting in talking but we should be careful as to what their intentions are. Too many people taking them at face value which is naive for a country that has been unpredictable for decades.

As much as I don't like Trump I still don't want to see a President 'played' by North Korea. I really don't like North Korea. The threat to their neighbours and the horrors they've inflicted on their own population isn't to be underestimated.

If Trump gets real concessions then that will be quite the success however.

Mick 12-03-2018 13:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35940366)

One commentator said “A meeting with the American president has for decades been considered the prize at the end of a successful denuclearization process, not an incentive to get the process started, and neither Kim’s father nor grandfather made it to that finish line,” he added. “So I have to grudgingly take my hat off to Kim because he’s played a very poor hand brilliantly to get there.”

by the way, just because someone disagrees with you, doesn't give you the right to be very rude and call them super stupid; it's a very complex subject, not easily resolvable.

How predictable , that I would expect you to come up with this, that no other President would meet with Kim Jong Un, give him what he wants, it’s as if you have been watching low ratings & Fake News CNN. Because they’ve been saying the same nonsense.

No, no other president wouldn’t and didn’t, because they would not get the opportunity and didn’t even try, with the laidback super soft approach they had.. too busy caring what other world leaders would think of them, if they went in super heavy, threatening to totally obliterate them which is exactly what Trump did and Mattis. Trump does not give a shit, what other world leaders think of him, that’s one of the personal traits that got him elected.

The North Korea threat has been ignored by all the other former Presidents, for decades. Allowing them to build up their Nuclear capability. Trump is totally spot on, that this should have been sorted decades ago.

It is time to sit down and try resolve this, face to face if necessary or are you saying let’s carry on with how it is now, because you cannot possibly accept that Trump would go down in History has one of the most successful Presidents of all time, for heralding a massive peace keeping treaty and finally securing the safety of the Korean Peninsula?

But for you, let’s keep having North Korea throwing up ICBM with Potential Nuclear capability over Japan.

Trump could never win with the Crooked Hillary fans, they were mocking him for his tough stance, saying he is going to get everyone killed in a nuclear conflict but now Trump is going the diplomatic route, which is the best option out of all of them and he still can’t win. It’s pathetic. :rolleyes:

Hugh 12-03-2018 13:51

No need to be rude just because you disagree with me - you may think it’s bollocks, I see it as a different viewpoint.

I have disagreed with you in the past, but never said you speak bollocks.

Damien 12-03-2018 13:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35940376)
How predictable , that I would expect you to come up with this that no other President would meet with Kim Jong Un, give him what he wants, it’s as if you have been watching low ratings & Fake News CNN. Because they’ve been saying the same nonsense.

Meeting with the President is itself seen as a mark of respect. If you're a hostile nation, i.e Iran, you generally have to make some concession or progress to be granted it.

Obama was cautious with meeting the President of Iran for example. There were backchannel meetings with less senior members of the administrations and eventually a phone call. All whilst the Iranian deal slowly became more likely. He didn't sit down with the President from the get-go. That's what Hugh is getting at.

Quote:

It is time to sit down and try resolve this, face to face if necessary or are you saying let’s carry on with how it is now, because you cannot possibly accept that Trump would go down in History has one of the most successful Presidents of all time, for heralding a massive peace keeping treaty and finally securing the safety of the Korean Peninsula?
Yes but I think Trump should ensure they get something first. The worst case scenario is the meeting happens and Kim Jong-un gets footage if it happening, internal NK broadcasts boast of the historical mark of respect by the 'evil Americans', and no concessions are made.

It's also worth noting that these deals have happened before and fallen though because you cannot trust North Korea. Clinton hasn't gone down in history as one of the most successful Presidents of all time for that because he gave them too much credit. As have South Korea. Under the last leadership it was common for NK to show a willingness to talk and deal before accepting aid and then going back to their old ways.

I agree that if Trump manages to get NK to de-arm and become a greater part of the world then that would be a historical achievement, easily the most successful of his Presidency irrespective of what he then does, but I don't trust NK at all.

Mick 12-03-2018 14:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35940385)
No need to be rude just because you disagree with me - you may think it’s bollocks, I see it as a different viewpoint.

I have disagreed with you in the past, but never said you speak bollocks.

Fair enough, I’ve edited my post accordingly and diplomatically offer my apologies. :handshake

Hugh 12-03-2018 19:56

Thanks - very much appreciated.

Mick 17-04-2018 14:47

BREAKING: North and South Korea set to officially announce the end to War.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/17/nort...r&par=sharebar

Thank you, President Trump.

Damien 17-04-2018 15:11

Let's see what else that comes with first. They've not actually been at war for decades. Hopefully this comes with NK scaling back their nuclear weapons program for a start.

Mick 17-04-2018 15:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35943979)
Let's see what else that comes with first. They've not actually been at war for decades. Hopefully this comes with NK scaling back their nuclear weapons program for a start.

True about the war bit, but the news article highlights the fact that they have not been at peace either, just stuck in a truce for 60+ years.

denphone 17-04-2018 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35943979)

Its a start and that is better then nothing.

Damien 17-04-2018 15:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35943980)
True about the war bit, but the news article highlights the fact that they have not been at peace either, just stuck in a truce for 60+ years.

Yeah but I see this as largely symbolic. I am wondering what else is behind it? Who is getting what kind of concession and what happens next. Never trust North Korea.

pip08456 17-04-2018 15:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35943983)
Yeah but I see this as largely symbolic. I am wondering what else is behind it? Who is getting what kind of concession and what happens next. Never trust North Korea.

Let's just nuke 'em instead then. Problem solved!
or
Would you prefer the way things are going?

Damien 17-04-2018 15:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35943986)
Let's just nuke 'em instead then. Problem solved!
or
Would you prefer the way things are going?

I am not saying don't sign a peace treaty. I said wait and see to see what happens because I don't understand why North Korea suddenly want to adopt an open and diplomatic approach. As I said I hope it comes with something along aside the symbolism of stopping a non-existent war.

North Korea has a long history of breaking diplomatic agreements after they've been brokered and they've gotting something. It's not past them to blow up over some minor non-issue, declare the whole thing off and start mouthing off again.

It's a positive step but we need more to happen.

Mick 17-04-2018 15:27

Of course it will be very weird to see, two leaders who have slung insults at each other, if their meeting ever takes place, Trump referring to Kim as "Lil Rocket Man" and Kim calling Trump, "Dotard".

Maggy 18-04-2018 08:44

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-43792658

Quote:

CIA director Mike Pompeo travelled to Pyongyang for a secret meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, US media report.

The meeting to prepare for direct talks between US President Donald Trump and Mr Kim took place on about 1 April, unnamed officials said.

Mr Trump had earlier alluded to high-level direct talks with Pyongyang.

But this unexpected and clandestine meeting would mark the highest level US contact with North Korea since 2000.

Looks like it may happen..

RizzyKing 18-04-2018 08:52

China is the driving force behind the change of attitude in North Korea they realised things couldn't continue as they were and that North Korea was likely to initiate a conflict putting China in an impossible position. If a deal is done here and North Korea breaks it as they have in the past it will be China they deal with and it's quite likely China would break the traditional ties it's had with North Korea removing the gaurantees that have allowed kim to act so brazenly.

Mick 20-04-2018 23:32

BREAKING: North Korea closes Nuclear test facility.

https://news.sky.com/story/north-kor...-site-11340053

Damien 21-04-2018 07:14

More positive news, still suspicious into their sudden change of heart though.

TheDaddy 21-04-2018 07:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35944497)
More positive news, still suspicious into their sudden change of heart though.

You're right to be suspicious, the test site had to be closed and could the reason they aren't doing anymore nuclear tests be because they already have enough weapons? Donald won't be fooled despite his tweets and as a great man once said, jaw jaw is always preferable to war war, who knows where the talking will lead

Quote:

Nam Jae-chol, the head of South Korea's Meteorological Administration, warned in testimony before its parliament on Monday that further tests at Punggye-ri could cause the mountain to collapse and release radioactivity into the environment.

"Based on our analysis of satellite imagery, we judge that there is a hollow space, which measures about 60 metres by 100 metres beneath Mount Matap", he said. "Should another nuclear test take place, there is a possibility [of a collapse]".

Chinese scientists have issued similar warnings, suggesting that nuclear fallout could spread across "an entire hemisphere" if the mountain did collapse.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...aves-200-dead/

heero_yuy 21-04-2018 07:53

I think the reason that THAT test site is being closed has more to do with the fact that the mountain it's in is close to collapse if another test goes ahead.

I hope the US is watching it's satellite pictures carefully for a new site being set up.

Mick 27-04-2018 01:33

BREAKING: North Korea's leader Kim Jong Un has crossed in to South Korea for peace summit with South Korea's leader Moon Jae-In.

denphone 27-04-2018 05:19

Well that is something l thought would never ever happen so its a start but as to where it all ends well we shall see.

adzii_nufc 27-04-2018 08:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35944499)
I think the reason that THAT test site is being closed has more to do with the fact that the mountain it's in is close to collapse if another test goes ahead.

I hope the US is watching it's satellite pictures carefully for a new site being set up.

This, except it was speculated upon a while ago that the facility has actually collapsed in and wiped out major players in their Nuclear prospects, thus ending it completely. I don't think it was ever properly confirmed.

As of today, they're running with the story that it did indeed collapse

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...f-action-china

adzii_nufc 27-04-2018 11:32

Here's the clip:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-a...der-for-summit

Shook hands in both countries. I hope this is the monumental turnaround it could be.

Damien 27-04-2018 12:09

It is pretty extraordinary.

RizzyKing 27-04-2018 13:20

Both China and the U.S have played major roles in this and hopefully it will be more productive and long lasting then previous diplomatic attempts in the past. I think it will for two main reasons China is not as ready to support North Korean silliness as it has in the past recognising that it's economy is now too affected by global uncertainty and instability. Second reason is North Korea is on it's knees economically with too many dying of starvation and the people are getting more angry with their government with all it's fantastic claims kim needs to get decent food to the people and needs to completely reform the entire country.

Damien 27-04-2018 13:38

China finally snapped late last year after NK's constant provocations.

Mick 27-04-2018 13:44

And let’s remember they only snapped, after pressure and interventions from President Trump.

RizzyKing 27-04-2018 13:50

I think increasing regional instability played a part as well as NK's constant stupidity handing the U.S a reason to increase it's military presence. Trump has played a part in this but China was the big factor no longer supplying the fuel for kim's missile program hit NK hard and signalled even to the notoriously thick skinned NK's that times were changing and they couldn't continue as they had in the past. This might all still be nothing words have always been easy for NK sticking to agreements with actions will be the test.

Damien 27-04-2018 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35944978)
And let’s remember they only snapped, after pressure and interventions from President Trump.

Well to be fair they snapped because NK were actually testing the range of missiles, including flying them over Japan, and antagonising everyone in the region including the Americans. Trump taking an interest certainly added to that too.

As Rizzy pretty much said the last thing China want is increased American interest in the region! I think China and South Korea should take a lot of the credit but Trump has earned his share as well. He also gave cover to South Korea's President to meet with North Korea but announcing he would do so as well.

Mick 27-04-2018 16:43

North Korea was flying missles for years. about 4-5 Presidents did nothing to promote peace. South Korea Minister today, said the Summit is down to Trump and it really is. This would not have happened under a Hillary Presidency.

Damien 27-04-2018 16:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35944993)
North Korea was flying missles for years. about 4-5 Presidents did nothing to promote peace. South Korea Minister today, said the Summit is down to Trump and it really is. This would not have happened under a Hillary Presidency.

I was just talking about the circumstances here rather than getting into a Trump fight. I said he was a factor but there were others.

And yes they did fly missiles for years but nothing like the range and amount we saw last year. As an example over all of Obama's term they fired 12 missles a lot of which were satellites and the rest being short range missiles rather than intercontinental missiles.

The reason why people started getting concerned and China finally had enough was last year they fired 16 missiles including intercontinental missiles capable of holding nuclear warheads. That's why N.Korea became a massive issue last year.

As I said Trump can definitely share in the credit though for the reasons I gave above.

pip08456 27-04-2018 18:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35944995)
I was just talking about the circumstances here rather than getting into a Trump fight. I said he was a factor but there were others.

And yes they did fly missiles for years but nothing like the range and amount we saw last year. As an example over all of Obama's term they fired 12 missles a lot of which were satellites and the rest being short range missiles rather than intercontinental missiles.

The reason why people started getting concerned and China finally had enough was last year they fired 16 missiles including intercontinental missiles capable of holding nuclear warheads. That's why N.Korea became a massive issue last year.

As I said Trump can definitely share in the credit though for the reasons I gave above.

Missiles were satellites or were launching satellites??? I always thought rockets launches satellites. However, please explain the difference in a missile/rocket capable of delivering a satellite or nuclear warhead and an ICBM.

Damien 27-04-2018 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35944999)
Missiles were satellites or were launching satellites??? I always thought rockets launches satellites. However, please explain the difference in a missile/rocket capable of delivering a satellite or nuclear warhead and an ICBM.

I think the list I had had an entire list of ‘launches’ both rockets and missles and I worded that paragraph wrong

RizzyKing 27-04-2018 20:52

Trump definately played a part but he wasn't the only part and credit must be given to all player's not just one and perhaps it will enable more positive diplomacy in the future which is more important then elevating one person.

pip08456 27-04-2018 20:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by RizzyKing (Post 35945016)
Trump definately played a part but he wasn't the only part and credit must be given to all player's not just one and perhaps it will enable more positive diplomacy in the future which is more important then elevating one person.

I agree, it is more than one person that has brought this about but part of the credit has to go to Trump due to his stance on the missile tests.

RizzyKing 27-04-2018 23:43

I haven't said Trump shouldn't get some credit just not all of it this hasn't happened just because of Donald Trump.

richard s 29-04-2018 18:51

I think China told their noisy neighbors who live below them to pack it in or else.

Hugh 24-05-2018 16:18

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44242558

Quote:

Trump cancels Kim summit amid North Korea 'hostility'

US President Donald Trump has cancelled a summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, saying the world had "lost a great opportunity for lasting peace".

He said his decision was because of "tremendous anger and open hostility" in a recent North Korean statement.

In a letter to Mr Kim, he said he was still looking forward to meeting him "some day".

OLD BOY 24-05-2018 16:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35944993)

Nor under a Trump presidency, it seems :erm:

Damien 24-05-2018 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35947852)
Nor under a Trump presidency, it seems :erm:

It could change again. I was skeptical of this whole thing and people got too excited. North Korea are famously unpredictable and have had various agreements before which they then backed out off.

I think long-term this will fail but I wouldn't be surprised to see this meeting happen anyway. Also China and South Korea are apparently still involved so maybe it will happen with them.

Hugh 24-05-2018 19:22

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...0?guccounter=1
Quote:

South Korea was at a loss for words Thursday after President Donald Trump’s announcement that he was scrapping next month’s planned nuclear summit with North Korea.

“We are attempting to make sense of what, precisely, President Trump means,” South Korean presidential spokesman Kim Eui-kyeom said in a statement.

Damien 24-05-2018 19:23

He could have at least consulted them, everything is so off the cuff.

Mr K 24-05-2018 20:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35947882)

He did a tweet, what more do they want ?!

Mick 24-05-2018 21:31

Quote:

Latest: Senior White House official says North Korea promised Pompeo that international observers would be able to witness destruction of nuclear site. But that didn’t happen only journalists invited.

TheDaddy 24-05-2018 23:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35947895)
He did a tweet, what more do they want ?!

Exactly, they should try following him, then they'd be in the know like the rest of us

OLD BOY 24-05-2018 23:52

Quote:

On both sides! You must understand that the NK leadership are a slippery and unreliable bunch and normal diplomacy doesn't work with them. If Kim is going to be unpredictable, then maybe he will understand Trump. Fire with fire!

Hugh 25-05-2018 00:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35947952)
On both sides! You must understand that the NK leadership are a slippery and unreliable bunch and normal diplomacy doesn't work with them. If Kim is going to be unpredictable, then maybe he will understand Trump. Fire with fire!

When discussing nuclear war, probably not the most apt comment.

Thermonuclear war - sub-optimal for ongoing survival.

Damien 25-05-2018 09:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35947952)
On both sides! You must understand that the NK leadership are a slippery and unreliable bunch and normal diplomacy doesn't work with them.

No disagreement here. It's why I was so pessimistic in the first place.

OLD BOY 25-05-2018 09:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35947960)
When discussing nuclear war, probably not the most apt comment.

Thermonuclear war - sub-optimal for ongoing survival.

I'm afraid it's the only language that Kim understands. All this time, NK has been bellicose, threatening, manipulative. It makes agreements and then breaks them. This pattern of behaviour does need to be challenged. Go soft on these people and they will walk all over you, probably your dead body.

Damien 27-05-2018 07:47

Looks like it's back on again!

Hugh 27-05-2018 08:56

There appears to be some confusion.

Quote:

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

The Failing @nytimes quotes “a senior White House official,” who doesn’t exist, as saying “even if the meeting were reinstated, holding it on June 12 would be impossible, given the lack of time and the amount of planning needed.” WRONG AGAIN! Use real people, not phony sources.

4:21 PM - May 26, 2018
This information was given to the New York Times, and 50 other News reporters in a White House Briefing Room (with 200 others on taking part through a Conference Call) by a White House Press Official, and it was arranged by the White House Press Office.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...h-korea-609617
Quote:

President Donald Trump slammed the New York Times Saturday for using “phony sources” in a story citing a White House official – but the comments the paper referred to came from a formal background briefing attended by multiple news organizations and widely reported.

Trump appeared to be responding to a Times story about his on-again, off-again plans for a June 12 summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un..

POLITICO was among the news organizations that participated in the call and reported the official’s comments at the time.

Reporters were quick to call the president out following his tweet.

“I mean, every reporter on the call knows who this official was, and this official exists,” Mike Warren, a senior writer for the conservative Weekly Standard wrote on Twitter. “And we all heard the official say it.”
In fact, there is an audio recording of the meeting, and of the "non-existent" Senior White House official who is named.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...d-doesnt-exist

Quote:

An audio recording of a conversation between reporters and a senior White House official released Saturday disproved President Trump's claims that a source quoted by The New York Times "doesn't exist."

Trump lashed out at the Times on Twitter Saturday, saying the paper had used "phony sources" and quoted a member of his staff "who doesn’t exist." But audio released Saturday, and reports backed up by other news outlets, point out that the source does, in fact exist.

Before the audio release, Trump was immediately called out by reporters for his false claims.

4. I've obtained audio of the WH press briefing. You can hear Raj Shah, Deputy Press Secretary, introduce Pottinger (along with the terms - which are standard) and then Pottinger makes the statement that POTUS says was never made. Lots of reporters in briefing room and on phone. pic.twitter.com/2gEYkRSyTv

— Yashar Ali (@yashar) May 26, 2018
Journalist Yashar Ali, who posted the audio to Twitter, identified the source as National Security Council official Matt Pottinger. In the clip, deputy press secretary Raj Shah introduces Pottinger at an on-background meeting and asks reporters to refer to Pottinger as "a senior White House official."

Damien 27-05-2018 09:30

Doesn’t matter, he knows his most ardent supporters won’t read the rebuttal.

Mick 27-05-2018 10:12

The New York times is a disgusting news agency and I will NEVER accept their decision to publish Manchester Arena photos, of dead bodies and bomb fragments, in their efforts to embarrass the U.S relationship with the UK and an attempt to undermine the Trump Administration by sharing UK intel, just days after the Terrorist Attack occurred in my city. They are utter *******s & they deserve all the attacks they get whether they are right or wrong on their stories.

Maggy 28-05-2018 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35948186)
The New York times is a disgusting news agency and I will NEVER accept their decision to publish Manchester Arena photos, of dead bodies and bomb fragments, in their efforts to embarrass the U.S relationship with the UK and an attempt to undermine the Trump Administration by sharing UK intel, just days after the Terrorist Attack occurred in my city. They are utter *******s & they deserve all the attacks they get whether they are right or wrong on their stories.

Really? I've always found them to be even handed in their reporting.Everyone gets brick batted.

papa smurf 28-05-2018 09:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35948278)
Really? I've always found them to be even handed in their reporting.Everyone gets brick batted.

I live in Cleethorpes and find it's not available at the news agents .

Hugh 28-05-2018 10:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35948282)
I live in Cleethorpes and find it's not available at the news agents .

Hope this helps...

https://www.nytimes.com/

ianch99 28-05-2018 13:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35948186)

So you don't like them then? Who do you like?

Mick 28-05-2018 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35948182)
There appears to be some confusion.

This information was given to the New York Times, and 50 other News reporters in a White House Briefing Room (with 200 others on taking part through a Conference Call) by a White House Press Official, and it was arranged by the White House Press Office.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...h-korea-609617

In fact, there is an audio recording of the meeting, and of the "non-existent" Senior White House official who is named.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...d-doesnt-exist

It seems The New York times was indeed still incorrect with all the above regardless of that audio... that audio does NOT say what the NYT claims it says according to the Federalist...

So it seems the NYT did indeed publish FAKE NEWS all along. :rolleyes:

Quote:

Clearly The New York Times peddled fake news. There may have been a real White House briefing with real White House officials, but The New York Times couldn’t be trusted to accurately summarize what the White House official said. And it wasn’t on a minor point.

Recall that the whole point of their characterization was to say this official was at odds with Trump and that Trump wasn’t listening to his advisors. The fact that Trump and his advisors were not disagreeing with each other undermines the entire point of The New York Times story.
http://thefederalist.com/2018/05/28/...ling-fake-news

---------- Post added at 20:52 ---------- Previous post was at 20:48 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35948278)

Yes really, if you think posting UK intel of dead bodies from a terrorist attack and bomb fragments, days after the event actually occurred and you think that is even handed, then you have strange standards indeed Maggy. :td:

Chloé Palmas 28-05-2018 20:57

Comes back to the whole aspect of journalism though ; if you are presented with a leak do you report it or not?

Disgusting as it may be, the ethics surrounding it are far greater than pictures of what happened in our back yard.

Hugh 28-05-2018 21:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35948385)
It seems The New York times was indeed still incorrect with all the above regardless of that audio... that audio does NOT say what the NYT claims it says according to the Federalist...

So it seems the NYT did indeed publish FAKE NEWS all along. :rolleyes
:

http://thefederalist.com/2018/05/28/...ling-fake-news

---------- Post added at 20:52 ---------- Previous post was at 20:48 ----------

Yes really, if you think posting UK intel of dead bodies from a terrorist attack and bomb fragments, days after the event actually occurred and you think that is even handed, then you have strange standards indeed Maggy. :td:

Trump said that the spokesman didn't exist - that's Fake News, as the briefing was set up by the White House Press Office, and Matt Pottinger was the spokesman :rolleyes:

Quote:

@realDonaldTrump

The Failing @nytimes quotes a senior White House official,” who doesn’t exist
btw, the author of that piece in the Federalist (a very Libertarian Pro-Trump website) has been described as
Quote:

Senior editor Mollie Hemingway has been the site's most reliable Trump defender, even trying to justify the president's repeated threats of government action against news organizations he doesn't like. Hemingway has gone so far as equating respected media companies with fake news websites that make up stories.
https://www.salon.com/2017/12/01/roy...ervative-mind/

More "Fake News"...

Damien 28-05-2018 21:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35948385)

The Times article in question published pictures of the home made bomb, not bodies. The UK press also carried those images after it was published in the Times.

1andrew1 28-05-2018 21:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35948400)
The Times article in question published pictures of the home made bomb, not bodies. The UK press also carried those images after it was published in the Times.

So, can I take it that like the article in The Federalist, the slur against the New York Times is erroneous?

Damien 28-05-2018 21:45

I am just restating what the NY Times leaked intelligence story was. It was pictures of the bomb which were then put in many other media publications including ones in the UK. The UK Government were largely angry at the leak itself.

Mick 29-05-2018 10:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35948400)

They are just as disgusting as well. But as for the pictures of bodies, it did post those bloody bodies, slightly blurred out but still identifiable as motionless fatalities - I know what I saw at the time and those pictures were in the NYT as well as other publications but I single out NYT as they seemingly gained leaks from U.S Intelligence agencies.

---------- Post added at 10:10 ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35948392)
Trump said that the spokesman didn't exist - that's Fake News, as the briefing was set up by the White House Press Office, and Matt Pottinger was the spokesman :rolleyes:

btw, the author of that piece in the Federalist (a very Libertarian Pro-Trump website) has been described as

https://www.salon.com/2017/12/01/roy...ervative-mind/

More "Fake News"...

But not really - I know what I believe and it is not the NYT-end of.

Anyway lets get back on topic - this thread is about North Korea, not what you inaccurately portray what is or is not fake news.

---------- Post added at 10:36 ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 ----------

I said back on topic which is anything related to actions in North Korea.

ianch99 29-05-2018 14:12

If you are losing the argument always best to bring it back on topic :)

Meanwhile, back on topic, Fox News, Desperate Don's go to news source had a totally different take on talking to North Korea in Obama's day:

Fox News Had a Different Reaction When Obama Wanted to Negotiate with North Korea

Mick 29-05-2018 16:29

Only I have not lost any arguments. I don’t see posting an opinion or contributing to a topic a competition. If I’m wrong, I will say so, if I’m not, I will also say so.

Mr K 29-05-2018 20:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35948485)
If I’m wrong, I will say so

hmmm, so when have you been 'wrong' Mick ? ;)

Hugh 29-05-2018 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35948517)
hmmm, so when have you been 'wrong' Mick ? ;)

Stop being deliberately provocative - otherwise, the Infraction System will be invoked.

Hugh 31-05-2018 15:40

1 Attachment(s)
Dude, that's the wrong Kim!!!*

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...9&d=1527777544

*h/t @t_wedernoch

papa smurf 31-05-2018 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35948752)

*h/t @t_wedernoch

But look at the smile on his face .

OLD BOY 31-05-2018 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35948752)

*h/t @t_wedernoch

But that's the Kim he wants. :D

Hugh 01-06-2018 21:11

It’s back on!

Excellent.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...ace-on-june-12
Quote:

Trump says summit with North Korea will take place on June 12

President Trump said Friday that his meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un will take place as scheduled on June 12, ending a week of uncertainty about the historic summit.

Trump made the announcement after an 80-minute meeting in the Oval Office with top North Korea official Kim Yong Chol, who hand-delivered a personal letter from Kim Jong Un — a symbolic gesture aimed at easing tensions that led Trump last week to scrap the summit.

“We’re going to be June 12 — we’ll be in Singapore. It’ll be a beginning,” Trump told reporters on the South Lawn, adding that “I think we’re going to have a very positive result in the end.”

Damien 01-06-2018 22:15

Trump should sell this on Pay Per View.

Chloé Palmas 02-06-2018 12:17

If it was in Thailand instead of Singapore that would probably get a lot more PPV subscriptions (for all the wrong reasons...)

Hugh 07-06-2018 20:44

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...h-korea-630404

Quote:

President Donald Trump said Thursday that he does not need to prepare “very much” for his upcoming meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un because success at the summit will be “about attitude."

“I think I'm very well prepared. I don't think I have to prepare very much. It's about attitude, it's about willingness to get things done, but I think I've been preparing for this summit for a long time, as has the other side,” Trump told reporters during a meeting with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe. “I think they've been preparing for a long time also. So this isn't a question of preparation, it's a question of whether or not people want it to happen, and we'll know that very quickly.”

But planning for the upcoming summit has apparently gone on without the type of National Security Council planning that would have been crucial in previous administrations. National security adviser John Bolton has yet to hold a cabinet-level meeting on Trump’s upcoming summit with Kim, nor has Trump convened a meeting of national security officials on next week’s Singapore summit.

Mr K 07-06-2018 21:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35949702)

Maybe he's practised his putting ? There's some nice golf courses in Singapore.

Hugh 09-06-2018 21:43

https://www.politico.eu/article/us-p...t-kim-jong-un/
Quote:

President Donald Trump said Saturday that he’ll decide “within the first minute” of his summit meeting with Kim Jong Un if North Korea is a reliable negotiating partner.

“I think within the first minute, I’ll know,” Trump said during a free-wheeling press conference before he departed the ongoing G-7 talks for the Singapore summit with Kim. “Just my touch, my feel. That’s what I do,” he added.

"You know the way they say that you know if you’re going to like somebody in the first five seconds? Well, I think I’ll know very quickly whether or not something good will happen.”

That worked out so well with

Manafort
Bannon
Sessions
Scaramucci
Flynn
Priebus
Tillerson
McMaster
Shulkin

Maggy 10-06-2018 08:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35949940)
https://www.politico.eu/article/us-p...t-kim-jong-un/

That worked out so well with

Manafort
Bannon
Sessions
Scaramucci
Flynn
Priebus
Tillerson
McMaster
Shulkin

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

OLD BOY 10-06-2018 20:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35948929)
Trump should sell this on Pay Per View.

Don’t give him any ideas! :p:

Hugh 11-06-2018 21:18

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/boro...tes-and-canada
Quote:

Kim Jong Un Offers to Host Peace Talks Between United States and Canada

SINGAPORE (The Borowitz Report)—One day before his summit with Donald J. Trump, the North Korean dictator, Kim Jong Un, has offered to host peace talks between the United States and Canada.

Speaking to reporters at his hotel in Singapore, Kim said that the rising tensions between the North American neighbors were posing an “intolerable threat to world peace.”

In addition to offering to host U.S.-Canada talks in Pyongyang, Kim urged the immediate creation of a demilitarized zone along the border separating the two hostile nations.
:D

ianch99 11-06-2018 22:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35950167)

Is there a date set? If so, that is one the for the dairy :)

Mick 12-06-2018 03:43

Finally, history is made... Way to go Mr President..

Like you said in one of your latest tweets, forget about the haters and losers.

Damien 12-06-2018 06:38

Re: [Updated]U.S hold diplomatic Summit with North Korea

They’re about to sign something. Has Kim agreed to get rid of his nuclear weapons?! If so in return for what?

TheDaddy 12-06-2018 06:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35950206)
Finally, history is made... Way to go Mr President..

Like you said in one of your latest tweets, forget about the haters and losers.

I think he prefers to be called leader of the workers party, I'm sure he'll appreciate the sentiment regardless though

Damien 12-06-2018 07:35

Document signed what we don’t know what’s in it

---------- Post added at 07:35 ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 ----------

Complete denuclearisation with security assurances. If true (and it happens) then that’s a big achievement for Trump and probably the biggest he’ll have,

Not sure why North Korea have agreed though. This massive change of heart is bizarre. Once the nukes have gone then does Kim really trust the assurances of America that he’ll be safe?

Hugh 12-06-2018 07:47

It’s great that this could be happening.

However, don’t forget one of them has previous in leaving treaties he doesn’t like...

Damien 12-06-2018 08:07

I might have oversold it. The document just says they should 'work' towards denuclearisation. No details on what that would mean, how to get there or what the 'security assurances' will be.

Someone pointed out how common such agreement are with NK so we'll have to wait and see how this develops: https://www.armscontrolwonk.com/arch...he-precedents/

Mr K 12-06-2018 08:35

They might just be signing an agreement about mobile libraries for all we know. A bit meaningless as N Korea have reneged on previous treaties. Kim just fancies a day in the limelight and tv pics to cheer up the starving peasants back home. Donald just likes being on tv. Bet he's set his legendary Tivo for it.

2 tin pot dictators with the same hairdresser, no wonder they get on well....

1andrew1 12-06-2018 09:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35950228)
They might just be signing an agreement about mobile libraries for all we know. A bit meaningless as N Korea have reneged on previous treaties. Kim just fancies a day in the limelight and tv pics to cheer up the starving peasants back home. Donald just likes being on tv. Bet he's set his legendary Tivo for it.

You're just bitter and envious because Obama never signed a deal for mobile libraries with North Korea. Give them both the Noble Peace Prize immediately to shut up all the doubters and losers!

Mick 12-06-2018 09:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35950228)

No, what's meaningless is most of your negative crap. :rolleyes:

1andrew1 12-06-2018 10:12

On this initiative I'm giving Trump the benefit of the doubt and am hopeful that something comes of it. I think the two leaders are well-matched and both have strong motives to strike a deal. Time will tell but I'm 60/40 on a successful outcome i.e., denuclearisation of North Korea.

denphone 12-06-2018 10:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35950246)
On this initiative I'm giving Trump the benefit of the doubt and am hopeful that something comes of it. I think the two leaders are well-matched and both have strong motives to strike a deal. Time will tell but I'm 60/40 on a successful outcome i.e., denuclearisation of North Korea.

Yes time will tell whether this day will mark a sea change in a good many things Andrew as one has to be hopeful but no more then that currently.

Mr K 12-06-2018 10:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35950246)

He thought he had an agreement with the Canadian PM, that didn't last long !

I'm sure Kim is much more trustworthy. If he didn't have nuclear weapons, we'd have done our 'regime change' thing long before now. They have worked for Kim, he's not going to give them up. The agreement is very vague and doesn't really commit anyone to anything, it's all about tv pictures ensuring these 2 remain in power.

Hugh 12-06-2018 14:31

During his press conference, Trump described the joint military exercises with South Korea as "provocative" to North Korea. Previously, both South Korea and the US have described the drills as "defensive" and "routine", so by stating that the exercises are a "provocation", Trump could also be setting himself, and the US military, up for difficulties if the they attempts to resume the drills in the future if the talks break down.

Many analysts consider the halting of the military exercises as a huge concession from the US.

adzii_nufc 12-06-2018 14:36

North Korea to scrap the idea of nukes, receive constant aid from the US and the South, build relations and gradually become part of this world. :erm:

Too much?

pip08456 12-06-2018 15:27

Not if it actually works.

Hugh 12-06-2018 15:29

Here is the meat of the Joint Statement.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/...091218916.html
Quote:

President Donald J. Trump of the United States of America and Chairman Kim Jong Un of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) held a first, historic summit in Singapore on June 12, 2018.

President Trump and Chairman Kim Jong Un conducted a comprehensive, in-depth, and sincere exchange of opinions on the issues related to the establishment of new U.S.-DPRK relations and the building of a lasting and robust peace regime on the Korean Peninsula. President Trump committed to provide security guarantees to the DPRK, and Chairman Kim Jong Un reaffirmed his firm and unwavering commitment to complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.

Convinced that the establishment of new U.S.-DPRK relations will contribute to the peace and prosperity of the Korean Peninsula and of the world, and recognizing that mutual confidence building can promote the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula, President Trump and Chairman Kim Jong Un state the following:

The United States and the DPRK commit to establish new U.S.-DPRK relations in accordance with the desire of the peoples of the two countries for peace and prosperity.
The United States and the DPRK will join their efforts to build a lasting and stable peace regime on the Korean Peninsula.

Reaffirming the April 27, 2018 Panmunjom Declaration, the DPRK commits to work toward complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.

The United States and the DPRK commit to recovering POW/MIA remains, including the immediate repatriation of those already identified.

Having acknowledged that the U.S.-DPRK summit — the first in history — was an epochal event of great significance in overcoming decades of tensions and hostilities between the two countries and for the opening up of a new future, President Trump and Chairman Kim Jong Un commit to implement the stipulations in this joint statement fully and expeditiously. The United States and the DPRK commit to hold follow-on negotiations, led by the U.S. Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, and a relevant high-level DPRK official, at the earliest possible date, to implement the outcomes of the U.S.-DPRK summit.