Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Science & Technology (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Electric Smart Meters (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710003)

Jaymoss 29-04-2021 20:32

Re: Electric Smart Meters

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth (Post 36078359)
And don't forget to factor in any cashback from Topcashback or Quidco.

I had a year almost free with Bulb. Got my first £50 when I was referred then got loads of family to join from my referral. Left as soon as everyone who might want it had finished their switches hehehehe

alanbjames 30-04-2021 21:29

Well i fixed my price for 2 years with them, having a free smart meter and saving £14 a month on Direct Debit compared to what im paying now. Thats a whopping saving of £168 a year.

Tali 03-05-2021 17:28

Quote:

Ovo who now are part of SSE
Ovo bought the SSE supply business, so strictly speaking, SSE are now part of OVO.

Quote:

the annoying this is, is they're not necessarily compatible across providers,
The older meters should get an over the air upgrade this year, and should start working with other suppliers after the upgrade.

New meters being installed will work with anyone.

Quote:

They aren't able to get a mobile signal so need to be read by a man in a van
True, with current technology, the meter can't always get a signal. Mesh communications is on its way, which will help in areas with poor signal.

alanbjames 04-05-2021 04:04

2 other people in the complex are on supply with SSE and have smart meters and have no issues with them.

I was told i'm having a second generation meter.

Depending on how i get on with the meter, my son may get one installed at the house to.

Ken W 04-05-2021 13:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanbjames (Post 36078469)
Well i fixed my price for 2 years with them, having a free smart meter and saving £14 a month on Direct Debit compared to what im paying now. Thats a whopping saving of £168 a year.

I am with EDF and have a Smart Meter and reduced my annual DD by £72 per year

tweetiepooh 05-05-2021 16:42

Since ours was fitted our leccy usage has risen 70% or more. Meter was checked and swapped out. Leccy company blame solar inverter drawing AC, a solar company we check with says that's nonsense as inverter will draw DC from panels. If true the inverter is using more power than anything else in the house.

Possible old meter was reading really low but that would be really, really low.

Itshim 05-05-2021 17:32

With edf but kept having to give reading smart meter upgraded over air now working . However don't really see it saving me money other than tariff l am on. Out of sight on top corner of freezer would need a ladder to see it!

raging bull 06-05-2021 06:56

Currently on EDF after being transfered from the now defunct ToTo, also having to give readings as system not compatable?

alanbjames 06-05-2021 22:05

Ive been fitted with a V2 meter which makes it easier to switch supplier apparently.

Ive been with Swalec SSE for 14 years and happy. My son has been with them 9 years and has also now booked to have a smart meter fitted next week.

Jaymoss 06-05-2021 23:01

I swap almost every year. I keep chasing the best price

alanbjames 07-05-2021 07:30

Chasing the best price is 2 much of a hassle especially in some cases when ur only saving a few pound a year.

Taf 07-05-2021 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanbjames (Post 36078969)
Chasing the best price is 2 much of a hassle especially in some cases when ur only saving a few pound a year.

The "secret" is to wait for the domino effect to finish. One hikes its prices, then the others follow suit.

This time, it was Orbit that triggered the scramble, but their new tariff dropped well below the others. The trouble is that prices vary with postcode.

Jaymoss 07-05-2021 10:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanbjames (Post 36078969)

Yeah click on the money saving expert site check the unit rate click switch and 5 minutes later job done . Such a hardship.

alanbjames 21-05-2021 11:47

So far so good with this meter, according to it i'm using 7-8p an hour and im way under budget.

Hom3r 21-05-2021 12:00

is there a monthly fee for using an electric metre?