Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   SD : Talking Pictures in trouble again for broadcasting words offensive to black people. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705912)

Mad Max 18-01-2018 20:21

Re: Talking Pictures in trouble again for broadcasting words offensive to black peopl

Quote:

Originally Posted by jj20x (Post 35933017)
And yet nobody is actually discussing Brexit, at all.

So an interesting interjection.

So why mention "Brexit" in your previous post?

jj20x 18-01-2018 20:28

Re: Talking Pictures in trouble again for broadcasting words offensive to black peopl

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35933053)
So why mention "Brexit" in your previous post?

I'm sure that you are quite able to read the previous comments about racist, extremist elements hijacking the sentiment. The point was the hijacking not Brexit per se. Brexit was never part of the discussion.

As much as certain individuals may wish to divert the focus specifically on to Brexit, that is just a red herring.

Mad Max 18-01-2018 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by jj20x (Post 35933054)
I'm sure that you are quite able to read the previous comments about racist, extremist elements hijacking the sentiment. The point was the hijacking not Brexit per se.

As much as certain individuals may wish to divert the focus specifically on Brexit, that is just a red herring.

Ah I see, so you didn't hijack the thread by casually just throwing the word "Brexit " in? All makes sense now!

jj20x 18-01-2018 20:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35933055)
Ah I see, so you didn't hijack the thread by casually just throwing the word "Brexit " in? All makes sense now!

Aha! it all becomes clear. Now we have posters becoming offended by the casual use of the term "Brexit".

I don't think the point requires further explanation. You simply reinforced my point "certain individuals may wish to divert the focus specifically on to Brexit". It's still a red herring!

Hugh 18-01-2018 20:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35933032)
AFAIK archive material is treated in exactly the same way as new material, so by default, any now deemed inappropriate is effectively banned.

Probably why Love Thy Neighbour has only had one selective repeat in many, many years.

It isn't.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/tv-radio-an...broadcast-code
Quote:

Programmes broadcast prior to 3 April 2017 are covered by the version of the Code that was in force at the date of broadcast. See our Legacy Codes for previous versions of the Broadcasting Code.

Mad Max 18-01-2018 20:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by jj20x (Post 35933056)
Aha! it all becomes clear. Now we have posters becoming offended by the casual use of the term "Brexit".

I don't think the point requires further explanation. You simply reinforced my point "certain individuals may wish to divert the focus specifically on to Brexit". It's still a red herring!

Rubbish, and you know it, you put that in there to stir it up, and btw I am not easily offended, especially when it comes to all things Brexit, but I can see that you are, thanks for being so honest...

jj20x 18-01-2018 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35933058)
Rubbish, and you know it, you put that in there to stir it up, and btw I am not easily offended, especially when it comes to all things Brexit, but I can see that you are, thanks for being so honest...

I'm not really bothered if it offends you or not. It certainly wasn't put there to stir things up.

The original comment was not about "Brexit", the comment was "A sad reflection of "Brexit" Britain." As you still pretend not to understand the comment, it relates to elements such as certain BNP, EDL etc members who hijacked the sentiment in an attempt to reintroduce their own racist agenda back into the mainstream.

Your herring is still very red!

Arthurgray50@blu 18-01-2018 20:56

Talking Pictures is an 'old movie' channel. And one that l like to watch.

I just wish this PC brigade would get a life. Yes, there are words that are used 'could' be used as racist.

But, please, l have been called names in the past that could be branded as racist. It goes in one ear and out the other.

Isn't strange that people such as the late Mary Whitehouse started all this. And now its all about.

My opinion is that, if you don't like what you are watching on Tv, then turn over. Remember, there are over three hundred channels to watch these days.

If TP, didn't show these films due to the PC brigade. Then they might as well pack up.

All the films and Tv series l watch was Alf Garnett, Love thy Neighbour etc. Its part of life.

Trouble is that there used to be a great Tv show called the Black and White Show many years ago.

This was axed as the stars sang songs with black paint on the face. And people got offended by this.

Didn't two years ago a famous Tv star complain about the nickname for Spurs, and people were getting arrested because of it.

All the case got thrown out of court

Yet the nickname was came from many years ago. And is still being used today

Get a life people

Mad Max 18-01-2018 21:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by jj20x (Post 35933061)
I'm not really bothered if it offends you or not. It certainly wasn't put there to stir things up.

The original comment was not about "Brexit", the comment was "A sad reflection of "Brexit" Britain." As you still pretend not to understand the comment, it relates to elements such as certain BNP, EDL etc members who hijacked the sentiment in an attempt to reintroduce their own racist agenda back into the mainstream.

Your herring is still very red!

Of course it wasn't, herring for tea was it?

jj20x 18-01-2018 21:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35933063)
Of course it wasn't, herring for tea was it?

Repetition doesn't make your point any less incorrect.

---------- Post added at 21:13 ---------- Previous post was at 21:10 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35933062)

I just wish this PC brigade would get a life.

It wasn't about the PC brigade was it? Merely Ofcom enforcing the Broadcasting Code. However you look at it, the onus is on Talking Pictures to make sure it complies.

pip08456 18-01-2018 21:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35933062)

I just wish this PC brigade would get a life. Yes, there are words that are used 'could' be used as racist.

But, please, l have been called names in the past that could be branded as racist. It goes in one ear and out the other.

Isn't strange that people such as the late Mary Whitehouse started all this. And now its all about.

My opinion is that, if you don't like what you are watching on Tv, then turn over. Remember, there are over three hundred channels to watch these days.

If TP, didn't show these films due to the PC brigade. Then they might as well pack up.

All the films and Tv series l watch was Alf Garnett, Love thy Neighbour etc. Its part of life.

Trouble is that there used to be a great Tv show called the Black and White Show many years ago.

This was axed as the stars sang songs with black paint on the face. And people got offended by this.

Didn't two years ago a famous Tv star complain about the nickname for Spurs, and people were getting arrested because of it.

All the case got thrown out of court

Yet the nickname was came from many years ago. And is still being used today

Get a life people

Actually it was The Black and White Minstrel Show.

Mad Max 18-01-2018 23:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by jj20x (Post 35933065)
Repetition doesn't make your point any less incorrect.

---------- Post added at 21:13 ---------- Previous post was at 21:10 ----------

It wasn't about the PC brigade was it? Merely Ofcom enforcing the Broadcasting Code. However you look at it, the onus is on Talking Pictures to make sure it complies.

Says the person who is repeating the same old, same old, keep believing in your own hype!

Hugh 18-01-2018 23:27

Enough - take it to PM.

Any more bickering will invoke the Infraction System.

Carth 19-01-2018 02:43

It saddens me that an Englishman, Irishman and Scotsman will never ever walk into a bar again.

The Vicar, Rabbi and Priest won't be playing golf together anymore, and I doubt the chicken crossing the road will last much longer.

You have to chuckle at the madness or we'd all go . . . well, you know, *nudge nudge wink wink*

say no more :D

RichardCoulter 19-01-2018 06:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35933057)

It must be, otherwise broadcasters could show 'offensive' material that was acceptable and broadcast years ago, yet this is what TP are in trouble for.

Your link only goes back to 2005, which is probably when Ofcom was created.