Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   SD : Talking Pictures in trouble again for broadcasting words offensive to black people. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705912)

RichardCoulter 10-01-2018 23:47

Talking Pictures in trouble again for broadcasting words offensive to black people.

Talking Pictures have again been reprimanded by Ofcom for broadcasting words which were in everyday use at the time the material was made, but are not acceptable today:

http://www.a516digital.com/2018/01/m...es-in.html?m=1

The question is, should we still show material that contains dated language, or should we censor it (or bleep out the words)?

It would be interesting to know if it was someone black that was offended, or if someone white was offended on their behalf.

I doubt that they will have done anything on purpose as, on the one occasion that I contacted them about something I found offensive to disabled people on their EPG, they were polite, friendly and amended it immediately.

Mad Max 11-01-2018 00:03

Re: Talking Pictures in trouble again for broadcasting words offensive to black peopl

It's PC gone mad, Richard, if we cannot watch material from the past, which was the norm then, we are losing our freedom to watch/view whatever we like, censorship akin to the banning of the Daily Mail by Virgin trains!

Paul 11-01-2018 00:14

Re: Talking Pictures in trouble again for broadcasting words offensive to black peopl

So nobody even complained, the stupid morons just took it upon themselves to be "offended".

We live in a world of PC mad hopelessly fragile idiots.

Its a wonder they dont get offended by their own shadows, after all - they are grey/black. :rolleyes:

Mad Max 11-01-2018 00:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35931922)
So nobody even complained, the stupid morons just took it upon themselves to be "offended".

Its a wonder they dont get offended by their own shadows, after all - they are grey/black. :rolleyes:

Spot on!

theone2k10 11-01-2018 00:33

Here we go again PC gone mad it's only offensive to those who try and take offence to it.
I was just reading an article about a company accused of being racist because their advert featured a child wearing a top that said "biggest monkey in the jungle" it's just getting pathetic next what next take offence at coal?

RichardCoulter 11-01-2018 01:14

This link shows that someone complained that the word 'Sambo' was used;I believe that the previous word was 'Coon'.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom...cast-bulletins

This link explains why black people find these words offensive:

https://ferris.edu/jimcrow/coon/

In my younger days I remember people using the word 'sambo', but not 'coon'. It's telling that these terms have fallen out of use as the man charged with reviewing content before it was broadcast didn't flag them up as potentially offensive because he'd never heard of them!

denphone 11-01-2018 05:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35931919)
It's PC gone mad, Richard, if we cannot watch material from the past, which was the norm then, we are losing our freedom to watch/view whatever we like, censorship akin to the banning of the Daily Mail by Virgin trains!

Mary Whitehouse is alive and well MM.

OLD BOY 11-01-2018 07:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35931922)

And yet, they don't seem to think that the offensive language used in US films and dramas (lately also material from the BBC) with the F word and worse liberally spread across these shows merits censorship!

The use of swear words probably offends more people than the words Ofcom have picked up on, but they choose to pick on words that offend fewer people!

Crazy situation.

Stephen 11-01-2018 08:07

Yet South Park and other modern shows use words like this all the time.

Cartmen dresses as a superhero called Coon. Based on a raccoon but you know that show pushes the boundaries of taste.

Mick 11-01-2018 09:09

If this >.< offends anyone, then tough luck.

denphone 11-01-2018 09:12

What annoys me is the amount of classic old TV series which won't ever get shown on TV ever again because of the PC brigade..

RobboEdin 11-01-2018 09:50

There was a case in Scotland a few years ago where a mother refused to send her child to a school which had a wall mural painted in 1936. The mural contained a representation of an item that we all saved jam jars towards in my childhood.

Mr K 11-01-2018 10:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35931950)
What annoys me is the amount of classic old TV series which won't ever get shown on TV ever again because of the PC brigade..

Yeah, 'Love thy Neighbour' and 'Curry and Chips', classic sitcoms....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Thy_Neighbour (the sidespiltting comedy of having a black neighbour)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curry_and_Chips (a blacked up Spike Milligan played an Asian immigrant shop worker who went by the name of Kevin O'Grady !)

However think they mostly don't get repeated because they were crap. (however that hasn't stopped them repeating 'On the buses', which is full of sexist/racist stuff)

Till Death Do Us Part was another dodgy one, but I liked it. People seem to have missed were supposed to be laughing at Alf Garnett's views, not laughing with him.

Guess it depends whether people are genuinely offended, and only they can say that.

OLD BOY 11-01-2018 11:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35931964)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Thy_Neighbour (the sidespiltting comedy of having a black neighbour)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curry_and_Chips (a blacked up Spike Milligan played an Asian immigrant shop worker who went by the name of Kevin O'Grady !)

However think they mostly don't get repeated because they were crap. (however that hasn't stopped them repeating 'On the buses', which is full of sexist/racist stuff)

Till Death Do Us Part was another dodgy one, but I liked it. People seem to have missed were supposed to be laughing at Alf Garnett's views, not laughing with him.

Guess it depends whether people are genuinely offended, and only they can say that.

Well I think people need to man up a bit. Whoops - gender sensitive... :erm:

heero_yuy 11-01-2018 15:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35931912)
It would be interesting to know if it was someone black that was offended, or if someone white was offended on their behalf.

I think we can be pretty sure it was a white professional PC offence taker.

They're ruining the world and the language.

I mean now I have to say: A gentleman of dark countenance lurking in my winter fuel. :D

nodrogd 11-01-2018 15:39

When the people that grew up with these series/film have passed on then perhaps they can be quietly consigned to the archives. But I see no point in trying to un-invent the past while they are still alive. The important thing is that people are being respected IN THE PRESENT. The past is what it is & cant be changed.

What happened to the days when if something offended you then you just changed the channel & moved on?

Mr K 11-01-2018 18:49

I think we're talking about the 'N' word here. Its not an over reaction - they shouldn't have broadcast it.

Do have some sympathy for Talking Pictures. It's a great channel run on a shoestring, but they should have picked this up. However if we're not careful we'll just end up with vomit inducing channels like True Movies just broadcasting made for tv american 'wholesome' crap.

ozsat 11-01-2018 19:13

It was not the 'N' word - it was the name of the little boy who was chased round the tree by tigers in the story many of us were told at school.

The book is still on open sale on Amazon and many other places.

Mr K 11-01-2018 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozsat (Post 35932055)
It was not the 'N' word - it was the name of the little boy who was chased round the tree by tigers in the story many of us were told at school.

The book is still on open sale on Amazon and many other places.

Ah the 'S' word, in that case it's a total over reaction.

ozsat 11-01-2018 19:35

And from a 1950's tv series.

---------- Post added at 19:35 ---------- Previous post was at 19:31 ----------

Good old Mary Whitehouse - let's follow her example.

Give Jimmy Saville and award and disown our children.
Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35931934)
Mary Whitehouse is alive and well MM.

Maggy 12-01-2018 11:27

Lots of 60s and 70s shows that were sexist,homophobic and racist appear on various cable tv shows..No one seems to be objecting to them.

spiderplant 12-01-2018 12:56

Newer shows aren't immune...

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...-a8154626.html

denphone 12-01-2018 13:06

Personally l think people should be given the choice on TV of watching or not watching a programme rather then something not being shown at all as there are many other channels they can watch if they don't like it as its called freedom and choice.

heero_yuy 12-01-2018 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35932178)
Personally l think people should be given the choice on TV of watching or not watching a programme rather then something not being shown at all as there are many other channels they can watch if they don't like it as its called freedom and choice.

Maybe they should mark it in the schedules with a snowflake as a warning. :D

Stuart 12-01-2018 14:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35932146)
Lots of 60s and 70s shows that were sexist,homophobic and racist appear on various cable tv shows..No one seems to be objecting to them.

Yep.. The Sweeney and The Goodies spring to mind. I remember loving The Goodies as a kid, and I still like Graham Garden, Tim Brook Taylor and Bill Oddie, but some of the sketches they came up with for that did appear quite racist. I don't recall "The Sweeney" being racist, but from what I remember, the women featured tended to be in secondary roles, which would undoubtedly be considered sexist now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35931964)

I don't think I've ever seen "Curry and Chips", but I remember "Love Thy Neighbour" and can see how that would be considered racist. That said, from what I remember, the white guy always lost if he went up against the black guy.

"Till Death Do Us Part" and "In Sickness and In Health". I can see how they would be considered racist, if you only glance at them. Why do I say that? Because, if you only glanced at it, you would only see one white man calling other races all sorts of names. You wouldn't see the other characters (of all colours) criticising, fighting, ignoring or trying to placate him. You also wouldn't see that the one person who loses out in all this racist man's plotting, scheming and ranting is the racist himself. Alf Garnet said some truly awful things, but the only person negatively impacted by his actions and statements was him. The author of both actually said that the idea was that Alf was the only person who comes off badly as a result of Alf's actions.

There is one important point above that haters of TDOUP and ISAIH miss. In both shows a fairly large, fairly racially diverse (for the time) of both men and women are actually shown getting along with each other. Yes, some racial stereotypes are shown, but IIRC, these are only use when they are talking to Alf, so they could be trying to wind him up (Winston certainly used his Racial stereotype, and the fact he was gay, to wind Alf up).

As said above, we were supposed to laugh at Alf's ideas and views, not with them.

Still, I think as a people, we have become far too easily offended.

ozsat 13-01-2018 07:20

Talking Pictures do have an annoucement before some programmes indicating that some people may now be offended by language used.

Thing is - the PC brigade use that to select their (if there is more than one of them) viewing.
Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35932191)
Maybe they should mark it in the schedules with a snowflake as a warning. :D

Carth 13-01-2018 12:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35931949)
If this >.< offends anyone, then tough luck.

:nworthy: well done, It's only 12:21 and I know I won't see anything funnier than that for the rest of the day. :D

OLD BOY 13-01-2018 18:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 35932343)
:nworthy: well done, It's only 12:21 and I know I won't see anything funnier than that for the rest of the day. :D

I don't get the joke but agree with the sentiments.

pengedragon 18-01-2018 12:57

This thread is incredible

What a shame we don’t live in the good old days when you could be racist without being called out on it, eh lads

Paul 18-01-2018 13:37

"lads" ? LOL.

jj20x 18-01-2018 15:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by pengedragon (Post 35932988)
This thread is incredible

What a shame we don’t live in the good old days when you could be racist without being called out on it, eh lads

The prevailing view does appear to be "let's make racism acceptable again". A sad reflection of "Brexit" Britain.

denphone 18-01-2018 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by jj20x (Post 35933007)
The prevailing view does appear to be "let's make racism acceptable again". A sad reflection of "Brexit" Britain.

Well l did not vote for Brexit nor do l think racism is acceptable as l myself am of ethnic origin and personally l found these old series very enjoyable as they are what they are around that time and many ethnic people actually enjoyed them and found them funny.

Paul 18-01-2018 15:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by jj20x (Post 35933007)

The "prevailing view" is to stop being artificially "offended" on behalf of other people, and has nothing to do with Brexit.

jj20x 18-01-2018 15:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35933009)
Well l did not vote for Brexit nor do l think racism is acceptable as l myself am of ethnic origin and personally l found these old series very enjoyable as they are what they are around that time and many ethnic people actually enjoyed them and found them funny.

It's not a case of being pro or anti Brexit, just the fact that certain extremist, racist groups have hijacked the Brexit sentiment to promote their extreme views.

I'm not sure that many of the old comedies were really that funny. I often watch dated material and think, did people really find that funny? Some of the material is absolutely dreadful. We moved away from a lot of the poor quality comedy but it is still alive and well in Germany.

I think the real point is that much of this content predates the various Race Relations Acts and the Broadcasting codes they gave birth to. The reason that such content didn't continue to be produced comes from the protection offered by these Acts and codes.

It amuses me that Ofcom is frequently referred to as a toothless regulator, but when it does step up to enforce the Broadcasting Code, it is accused of overstepping its remit.

---------- Post added at 15:41 ---------- Previous post was at 15:37 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35933010)
The "prevailing view" is to stop being artificially "offended" on behalf of other people, and has nothing to do with Brexit.

See my previous post regarding the Brexit connection. Also accept that this has NOTHING to do with being offended and everything to do with enforcing Broadcasting Codes. Not selectively ignoring broadcasting standards to allow racism back into broadcasting through the back door.

Maggy 18-01-2018 16:08

The topic is not Brexit. There is a thread for Brexit.

jj20x 18-01-2018 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35933015)
The topic is not Brexit. There is a thread for Brexit.

And yet nobody is actually discussing Brexit, at all.

So an interesting interjection.

Stuart 18-01-2018 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by jj20x (Post 35933017)

The subject is not Brexit. Brexit is, i think, one result of people feeling annoyed at being told what to believe, and a concerted effort by the papers to blame the EU for everything (including us being told what to believe, what to find offensive etc). It's not generally the EU telling us this (in my experience).

But, that is off topic.

I think people (especially now) are too quick to get offended, and in my experience, both left and right wing people are too quick to get offended.

Do I wish for a return of the old days when we could happily walk down the street calling people various combinations of words beginning with N, P and F (all of which are now offensive) while wolf whistling all the women? No. Nor do I wish to be in a situation where we have potentially innocent people losing their career because someone said they said something someone was offended by.

OLD BOY 18-01-2018 18:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35933025)
The subject is not Brexit. Brexit is, i think, one result of people feeling annoyed at being told what to believe, and a concerted effort by the papers to blame the EU for everything (including us being told what to believe, what to find offensive etc). It's not generally the EU telling us this (in my experience).

But, that is off topic.

I think people (especially now) are too quick to get offended, and in my experience, both left and right wing people are too quick to get offended.

Do I wish for a return of the old days when we could happily walk down the street calling people various combinations of words beginning with N, P and F (all of which are now offensive) while wolf whistling all the women? No. Nor do I wish to be in a situation where we have potentially innocent people losing their career because someone said they said something someone was offended by.

The problem is, as usual, it has gone too far. We need to reign this all in a bit, stop deliberately being offensive, but also stop reacting in a ridiculous fashion to innocent statements and jokes.

I am really non-plussed about the fuss over Talking Pictures. Clearly, culture and standards change over the years. Are we going to ban everything from the 1990s and before?

We really need to get a grip and get over ourselves.

jj20x 18-01-2018 18:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35933025)

The thread gives the impression that some posters are taking offence at Ofcom enforcing the Broadcasting Code, so you do seem to have a point.

Quote:

Nor do I wish to be in a situation where we have potentially innocent people losing their career because someone said they said something someone was offended by.
But that's not what this is about. Broadcasters are issued their various licences and are required to comply with the Broadcasting Act, Broadcasting Codes and to operate within the terms of their licence. It is up to the broadcaster to ensure that programmes comply with the various acts and codes. If a broadcaster neglects to ensure that programmes comply with the required codes, they can expect to get into trouble with the regulator. If they repeatedly fail to ensure that programmes comply, then they should expect to lose their licence.

The issue isn't whether or not a programme has caused offence, it is whether or not a broadcast complies with current broadcasting standards.

RichardCoulter 18-01-2018 18:52

AFAIK archive material is treated in exactly the same way as new material, so by default, any now deemed inappropriate is effectively banned.

Probably why Love Thy Neighbour has only had one selective repeat in many, many years.

OLD BOY 18-01-2018 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by jj20x (Post 35933029)
The thread gives the impression that some posters are taking offence at Ofcom enforcing the Broadcasting Code, so you do seem to have a point.

But that's not what this is about. Broadcasters are issued their various licences and are required to comply with the Broadcasting Act, Broadcasting Codes and to operate within the terms of their licence. It is up to the broadcaster to ensure that programmes comply with the various acts and codes. If a broadcaster neglects to ensure that programmes comply with the required codes, they can expect to get into trouble with the regulator. If they repeatedly fail to ensure that programmes comply, then they should expect to lose their licence.

The issue isn't whether or not a programme has caused offence, it is whether or not a broadcast complies with current broadcasting standards.

True, but the Broadcasting Code goes too far. Nearly every programme I see these days carrires some sort of warning, treating us all like children.

denphone 18-01-2018 19:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35933034)
True, but the Broadcasting Code goes too far. Nearly every programme I see these days carrires some sort of warning, treating us all like children.

The nanny state is what they call it...

jj20x 18-01-2018 19:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35933034)

The point being that children may actually be watching. Such messages are to alert parents that the content may be unsuitable for younger viewers. I doubt that the broadcasters have an OLD BOY in mind when they display such warnings. ;)

OLD BOY 18-01-2018 19:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by jj20x (Post 35933040)
The point being that children may actually be watching. Such messages are to alert parents that the content may be unsuitable for younger viewers. I doubt that the broadcasters have an OLD BOY in mind when they display such warnings. ;)

Well by 10 o'clock, the little perishers should be in bed!

Maybe they should blare out a siren at 8 to ensure everyone understands that.

jj20x 18-01-2018 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35933046)
Well by 10 o'clock, the little perishers should be in bed!

Maybe they should blare out a siren at 8 to ensure everyone understands that.

You've probably noticed that there isn't a consistent approach to this across various broadcasters. Some of those "warnings" are likely to be there simply because the broadcaster wishes to inform the viewer of the type of content. Not always a requirement of the broadcasting code, occasionally just the policy of an individual broadcaster.

Mad Max 18-01-2018 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by jj20x (Post 35933017)

So why mention "Brexit" in your previous post?

jj20x 18-01-2018 20:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35933053)
So why mention "Brexit" in your previous post?

I'm sure that you are quite able to read the previous comments about racist, extremist elements hijacking the sentiment. The point was the hijacking not Brexit per se. Brexit was never part of the discussion.

As much as certain individuals may wish to divert the focus specifically on to Brexit, that is just a red herring.

Mad Max 18-01-2018 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by jj20x (Post 35933054)
I'm sure that you are quite able to read the previous comments about racist, extremist elements hijacking the sentiment. The point was the hijacking not Brexit per se.

As much as certain individuals may wish to divert the focus specifically on Brexit, that is just a red herring.

Ah I see, so you didn't hijack the thread by casually just throwing the word "Brexit " in? All makes sense now!

jj20x 18-01-2018 20:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35933055)
Ah I see, so you didn't hijack the thread by casually just throwing the word "Brexit " in? All makes sense now!

Aha! it all becomes clear. Now we have posters becoming offended by the casual use of the term "Brexit".

I don't think the point requires further explanation. You simply reinforced my point "certain individuals may wish to divert the focus specifically on to Brexit". It's still a red herring!

Hugh 18-01-2018 20:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35933032)
AFAIK archive material is treated in exactly the same way as new material, so by default, any now deemed inappropriate is effectively banned.

Probably why Love Thy Neighbour has only had one selective repeat in many, many years.

It isn't.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/tv-radio-an...broadcast-code
Quote:

Programmes broadcast prior to 3 April 2017 are covered by the version of the Code that was in force at the date of broadcast. See our Legacy Codes for previous versions of the Broadcasting Code.

Mad Max 18-01-2018 20:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by jj20x (Post 35933056)
Aha! it all becomes clear. Now we have posters becoming offended by the casual use of the term "Brexit".

I don't think the point requires further explanation. You simply reinforced my point "certain individuals may wish to divert the focus specifically on to Brexit". It's still a red herring!

Rubbish, and you know it, you put that in there to stir it up, and btw I am not easily offended, especially when it comes to all things Brexit, but I can see that you are, thanks for being so honest...

jj20x 18-01-2018 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35933058)
Rubbish, and you know it, you put that in there to stir it up, and btw I am not easily offended, especially when it comes to all things Brexit, but I can see that you are, thanks for being so honest...

I'm not really bothered if it offends you or not. It certainly wasn't put there to stir things up.

The original comment was not about "Brexit", the comment was "A sad reflection of "Brexit" Britain." As you still pretend not to understand the comment, it relates to elements such as certain BNP, EDL etc members who hijacked the sentiment in an attempt to reintroduce their own racist agenda back into the mainstream.

Your herring is still very red!

Arthurgray50@blu 18-01-2018 20:56

Talking Pictures is an 'old movie' channel. And one that l like to watch.

I just wish this PC brigade would get a life. Yes, there are words that are used 'could' be used as racist.

But, please, l have been called names in the past that could be branded as racist. It goes in one ear and out the other.

Isn't strange that people such as the late Mary Whitehouse started all this. And now its all about.

My opinion is that, if you don't like what you are watching on Tv, then turn over. Remember, there are over three hundred channels to watch these days.

If TP, didn't show these films due to the PC brigade. Then they might as well pack up.

All the films and Tv series l watch was Alf Garnett, Love thy Neighbour etc. Its part of life.

Trouble is that there used to be a great Tv show called the Black and White Show many years ago.

This was axed as the stars sang songs with black paint on the face. And people got offended by this.

Didn't two years ago a famous Tv star complain about the nickname for Spurs, and people were getting arrested because of it.

All the case got thrown out of court

Yet the nickname was came from many years ago. And is still being used today

Get a life people

Mad Max 18-01-2018 21:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by jj20x (Post 35933061)
I'm not really bothered if it offends you or not. It certainly wasn't put there to stir things up.

The original comment was not about "Brexit", the comment was "A sad reflection of "Brexit" Britain." As you still pretend not to understand the comment, it relates to elements such as certain BNP, EDL etc members who hijacked the sentiment in an attempt to reintroduce their own racist agenda back into the mainstream.

Your herring is still very red!

Of course it wasn't, herring for tea was it?

jj20x 18-01-2018 21:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35933063)
Of course it wasn't, herring for tea was it?

Repetition doesn't make your point any less incorrect.

---------- Post added at 21:13 ---------- Previous post was at 21:10 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35933062)

I just wish this PC brigade would get a life.

It wasn't about the PC brigade was it? Merely Ofcom enforcing the Broadcasting Code. However you look at it, the onus is on Talking Pictures to make sure it complies.

pip08456 18-01-2018 21:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35933062)

I just wish this PC brigade would get a life. Yes, there are words that are used 'could' be used as racist.

But, please, l have been called names in the past that could be branded as racist. It goes in one ear and out the other.

Isn't strange that people such as the late Mary Whitehouse started all this. And now its all about.

My opinion is that, if you don't like what you are watching on Tv, then turn over. Remember, there are over three hundred channels to watch these days.

If TP, didn't show these films due to the PC brigade. Then they might as well pack up.

All the films and Tv series l watch was Alf Garnett, Love thy Neighbour etc. Its part of life.

Trouble is that there used to be a great Tv show called the Black and White Show many years ago.

This was axed as the stars sang songs with black paint on the face. And people got offended by this.

Didn't two years ago a famous Tv star complain about the nickname for Spurs, and people were getting arrested because of it.

All the case got thrown out of court

Yet the nickname was came from many years ago. And is still being used today

Get a life people

Actually it was The Black and White Minstrel Show.

Mad Max 18-01-2018 23:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by jj20x (Post 35933065)
Repetition doesn't make your point any less incorrect.

---------- Post added at 21:13 ---------- Previous post was at 21:10 ----------

It wasn't about the PC brigade was it? Merely Ofcom enforcing the Broadcasting Code. However you look at it, the onus is on Talking Pictures to make sure it complies.

Says the person who is repeating the same old, same old, keep believing in your own hype!

Hugh 18-01-2018 23:27

Enough - take it to PM.

Any more bickering will invoke the Infraction System.

Carth 19-01-2018 02:43

It saddens me that an Englishman, Irishman and Scotsman will never ever walk into a bar again.

The Vicar, Rabbi and Priest won't be playing golf together anymore, and I doubt the chicken crossing the road will last much longer.

You have to chuckle at the madness or we'd all go . . . well, you know, *nudge nudge wink wink*

say no more :D

RichardCoulter 19-01-2018 06:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35933057)

It must be, otherwise broadcasters could show 'offensive' material that was acceptable and broadcast years ago, yet this is what TP are in trouble for.

Your link only goes back to 2005, which is probably when Ofcom was created.

Hugh 19-01-2018 08:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35933093)
It must be, otherwise broadcasters could show 'offensive' material that was acceptable and broadcast years ago, yet this is what TP are in trouble for.

Your link only goes back to 2005, which is probably when Ofcom was created.

Or..

It could be they don’t feel the need to show ‘offensive’ material ‘that was acceptable and broadcast years ago’, or they don’t think there is a market for it - those option also exist...

Ofcom was founded in 2003.

Maggy 19-01-2018 11:57

Any more references to the B word will result in deletions.

Stuart 19-01-2018 13:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35933068)
Actually it was The Black and White Minstrel Show.

It was, and while I do think we are too easily offended, I wonder how that lasted so long. Even though things have changed massively since the 60s and 70s, I would like to ask why no one back then asked why, when there are *plenty* of excellent black singers, we felt the need to get several white singers to black up for national TV..

Carth 19-01-2018 13:18

To be honest, I get offended by the inane tripe shown on mainstream TV - the 'soaps' especially try to outdo each other with controversial stories that touch on 'sensitive and current' issues.

Reality TV and Celebrity shows . . what's that all about then if not poking fun and embarrassing people in front of the whole viewing public?

Comedy? you're having a laugh, good sitcoms are rare now, as are true comedians.

You get the odd Drama that's ok for a series or two, but then usually falls flat or too repetitious.

Many of you out there will disagree with the above, I could well be the 1 in 10,000 minority . . . but what happens if I (and others like me) suddenly start writing in saying I'm offended by the awful, sometimes childish, often cheap viewing that is being offered to me?

How long before everything on TV has a warning before, during, and after its viewing?

We currently have pay-to view sport, pay-to-view porn etc . . so why can't we have a pay-to-view channel which features the old classic shows that are now deemed 'offensive' to some . .

As you can maybe guess, I don't watch much TV . . but I do trawl Youtube for the (few remaining) classics that made me laugh or held my attention longer than 23 seconds.

* If the above has caused distress, worry, or affected you in any way, please call the official helpline number which is displayed on page 26 of the new TV regulations booklet you were given upon purchase of your TV *

OLD BOY 19-01-2018 13:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 35933114)
To be honest, I get offended by the inane tripe shown on mainstream TV - the 'soaps' especially try to outdo each other with controversial stories that touch on 'sensitive and current' issues.

Reality TV and Celebrity shows . . what's that all about then if not poking fun and embarrassing people in front of the whole viewing public?

Comedy? you're having a laugh, good sitcoms are rare now, as are true comedians.

You get the odd Drama that's ok for a series or two, but then usually falls flat or too repetitious.

Many of you out there will disagree with the above, I could well be the 1 in 10,000 minority . . . but what happens if I (and others like me) suddenly start writing in saying I'm offended by the awful, sometimes childish, often cheap viewing that is being offered to me?

How long before everything on TV has a warning before, during, and after its viewing?

We currently have pay-to view sport, pay-to-view porn etc . . so why can't we have a pay-to-view channel which features the old classic shows that are now deemed 'offensive' to some . .

As you can maybe guess, I don't watch much TV . . but I do trawl Youtube for the (few remaining) classics that made me laugh or held my attention longer than 23 seconds.

* If the above has caused distress, worry, or affected you in any way, please call the official helpline number which is displayed on page 26 of the new TV regulations booklet you were given upon purchase of your TV *

Yes, streaming services and pay tv providers could indeed have a 'sign up' page which indicates acceptance of programmes that offend snowflakes, but this gets tedious and free to air broadcasters would probably not want to do this.

If only the authorities took a step back from this oppressive regime of control over everything to 'protect' us. There are far more urgent problems for the government to be dealing with, such as people rough sleeping. Of course, that's more difficult to deal with than pushing out more and more dictats for people to be subject to!

gba93 19-01-2018 13:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 35933114)

I, for one, totally agree - which makes us 2 in 10,000

Carth 19-01-2018 13:35

oppressive regime of control over everything to 'protect' us

Oh I like that, very much so.

Are we in danger of becoming paranoid about having to conform to every little subtle nuance of todays society? Is freedom of choice something that will also be outlawed in the next few years?

Stay tuned for next weeks thrilling installment :D

OLD BOY 19-01-2018 13:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by gba93 (Post 35933117)

You forget about the silent majority!! :D

Carth 19-01-2018 13:37

Well that looks like 3 of us, now where do we complain? :D:D

denphone 19-01-2018 13:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by gba93 (Post 35933117)

Make that 4 in 10,000.:)

OLD BOY 19-01-2018 13:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35933123)
Make that 4 in 10,000.:)

At this rate, this thread has a long way yet to go!

Now, anyone going for the 5 in 10,000? :D

pip08456 19-01-2018 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35933125)
At this rate, this thread has a long way yet to go!

Now, anyone going for the 5 in 10,000? :D

I'll take that 5 spot.;)

Mad Max 19-01-2018 14:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 35933122)
Well that looks like 3 of us, now where do we complain? :D:D

Count me in too, and well said btw, nail on the head....have a gold star...:D

Carth 19-01-2018 14:24

Hey steady on people, at this rate we will have to be forming a committee, having a spokesperson (for media interviews), starting a facebook group and applying for a Government grant (as a minority) :D

Isn't it amazing though, that an initial post mentioning my distaste for mainstream TV has brought out a few of the 'silent majority' in agreement.

We are on the march against oppression - today Cable Forum, tomorrow the World ;)

. . . anyone else remember the Tooting Popular Front? :naughty:

gba93 19-01-2018 14:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 35933131)
Hey steady on people, at this rate we will have to be forming a committee, having a spokesperson (for media interviews), starting a facebook group and applying for a Government grant (as a minority) :D

Isn't it amazing though, that an initial post mentioning my distaste for mainstream TV has brought out a few of the 'silent majority' in agreement.

We are on the march against oppression - today Cable Forum, tomorrow the World ;)

. . . anyone else remember the Tooting Popular Front? :naughty:

In the inimitable words of Wolfie Smith "Power to the People" :D

tweetiepooh 19-01-2018 15:09

But if I complain about the use of "Jesus" as a swear word it would be ignored as common usage so why not show material that uses "offensive phrasing" because it is in use (or was). Just because it's used doesn't mean that the makers agree with the usage.

There is also a difference between racist and racial that depends a lot on the intent but the law as stands is on how the "listener" perceives the usage. This is what's led to many people finding themselves in hot water because some comment is felt to be "hate speech". Even innocent comments can be said to be hateful because someone hearing is in some unique circumstance that possibly the speaker isn't aware of.

theone2k10 19-01-2018 16:10

I'm just waiting for some idiot to issue a complaint about New Zealand rugby team being call the All Blacks.

Mr K 19-01-2018 19:46

TP is the most inoffensive of channels, showing films your granny went to see. Tbh theres much more violence bad language in the soaps each night. They probably have limited resources to check for every potentially offensive word. If we don't want the giants like Sky to dominate everything, these smaller channels need to be encouraged, otherwise we'll just end up with no choice.

OLD BOY 19-01-2018 22:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35933161)
TP is the most inoffensive of channels, showing films your granny went to see. Tbh theres much more violence bad language in the soaps each night. They probably have limited resources to check for every potentially offensive word. If we don't want the giants like Sky to dominate everything, these smaller channels need to be encouraged, otherwise we'll just end up with no choice.

For once, Mr K, we seem to agree!

multiskilled 19-01-2018 23:53

I think the reason OFCOM got involved is contained in the very first sentence, "It follows the pre-watershed broadcast." I Suspect if it had have been after nothing would have happened.

OLD BOY 20-01-2018 01:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by multiskilled (Post 35933190)
I think the reason OFCOM got involved is contained in the very first sentence, "It follows the pre-watershed broadcast." I Suspect if it had have been after nothing would have happened.

Fair enough, but when I was a teenager, I watched these programmes without censorship.

Is the snowflake generation unable to function without this protective mechanism in place?

Bless!

RichardCoulter 20-01-2018 01:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35933094)
Or..

It could be they don’t feel the need to show ‘offensive’ material ‘that was acceptable and broadcast years ago’, or they don’t think there is a market for it - those option also exist...

Ofcom was founded in 2003.

Or it could be that they are taking the easy option and just not showing archive material for fear of getting into trouble (as TP have found out).

multiskilled 24-01-2018 01:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35933192)
Fair enough, but when I was a teenager, I watched these programmes without censorship.

Is the snowflake generation unable to function without this protective mechanism in place?

Bless!

The watershed was also in place when you were a teenager. As we don't know what time the programme was actually transmitted other than it was pre watershed, it could have been viewed by children younger than their teens.

Also the terms objected to are not in common use these these days is there any point in adding them to the playground lexicon.

RichardCoulter 24-01-2018 01:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by multiskilled (Post 35933646)
The watershed was also in place when you were a teenager. As we don't know what time the programme was actually transmitted other than it was pre watershed, it could have been viewed by children younger than their teens.

Also the terms objected to are not in common use these these days is there any point in adding them to the playground lexicon.

The second incident (where the word 'Sambo' was used) was broadcast at 15:25 on 13/9/17.

denphone 24-01-2018 05:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35933647)
The second incident (where the word 'Sambo' was used) was broadcast at 15:25 on 13/9/17.

As multiskilled states this word was used far more 40 years ago as l certainly know as most of our family and l were called it on a pretty regular basis along with many other names but generally we have come a long way since then thankfully.

Hugh 24-01-2018 17:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35933193)
Or it could be that they are taking the easy option and just not showing archive material for fear of getting into trouble (as TP have found out).

We’ll never know...

Arthurgray50@blu 24-01-2018 23:05

I just wish these programmes would return
Till Death us do Part
Love thy neighbour
Etc etc

Its about time the PC brigade got off the fence and let life continue as it should
I have been called some really offensive words such as W**** H**** by various people - l am not allowed to mention who they are. As this is how stupid the system is now getting.

I am just waiting for someone to be taken top court over an offensive remark.

We are talking about telly from the past, which is extremely popular today.

So please get a life.

RichardCoulter 24-01-2018 23:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35933653)
As multiskilled states this word was used far more 40 years ago as l certainly know as most of our family and l were called it on a pretty regular basis along with many other names but generally we have come a long way since then thankfully.

As I child I seldom heard the word, children were more likely to call each other white honkey or black honkey after hearing it on Love Thy Neighbour.

It must have been particularly hard for your brother at this time when it was deemed socially acceptable to make insulting remarks.

denphone 25-01-2018 05:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35933817)
As I child I seldom heard the word, children were more likely to call each other white honkey or black honkey after hearing it on Love Thy Neighbour.

It must have been particularly hard for your brother at this time when it was deemed socially acceptable to make insulting remarks.

Once you have been called those names a few times our family generally just ignored it and just rose above it Richard and got on with our lives.

Hugh 25-01-2018 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35933816)
I just wish these programmes would return
Till Death us do Part
Love thy neighbour
Etc etc

Its about time the PC brigade got off the fence and let life continue as it should
I have been called some really offensive words such as W**** H**** by various people - l am not allowed to mention who they are. As this is how stupid the system is now getting.

I am just waiting for someone to be taken top court over an offensive remark.

We are talking about telly from the past, which is extremely popular today.

So please get a life.

You were called a Welly Hoyer? I didn't realise you did Welly Hoying?

Almost as bad as being accused of Morris Dancing... ;)

OLD BOY 25-01-2018 14:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by multiskilled (Post 35933646)

I think, from memory, such language was used in the early evening as well.

Frankly, it's pathetic. I remember in one of the Star Trek series, the crew of the starship were called 'pinkskins' by these white aliens. I was so offended. Not!

Paul 25-01-2018 14:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35933923)
Frankly, it's pathetic. I remember in one of the Star Trek series, the crew of the starship were called 'pinkskins' by these white aliens. I was so offended. Not!

Those racist Andorians :erm:

(They were Blue btw, not White)

Hugh 25-01-2018 14:47

Times change - we don't find it acceptable to ban Irish and dogs from boarding houses any more, or put homosexuals in prison or mental hospital, make women endure marital rape, or make women in offices make the tea/coffee as an expected part of their roles; society evolves.

Regarding the word that is at the basis of this thread, I think Charles M. Blow put it very well, about how it's the context and the person using a word (not just that one) that's important.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/24/op...etType=opinion

Quote:

MY father’s name is William Paul Coates. I, like my six brothers and sisters, have always addressed him as Dad. Strangers often call him Mr. Coates. His friends call him Paul. If a stranger or one of my father’s friends called him Dad, my father might have a conversation. When I was a child, relatives of my paternal grandmother would call my father Billy. Were I to ever call my father Billy, we would probably have a different conversation.

I have never called my father Billy. I understand, like most people, that words take on meaning within a context. It might be true that you refer to your spouse as Baby. But were I to take this as license to do the same, you would most likely protest. Right names depend on right relationships, a fact so basic to human speech that without it, human language might well collapse...

...A few summers ago one of my best friends invited me up to what he affectionately called his “white-trash cabin” in the Adirondacks. This was not how I described the outing to my family. Two of my Jewish acquaintances once joked that I’d “make a good Jew.” My retort was not, “Yeah, I certainly am good with money.” Gay men sometimes laughingly refer to one another as “******s.” My wife and her friends sometimes, when having a good time, will refer to one another with the word “bitch.” I am certain that should I decide to join in, I would invite the same hard conversation that would greet me, should I ever call my father Billy.

OLD BOY 25-01-2018 14:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35933928)
Those racist Andorians :erm:

(They were Blue btw, not White)

So they were, sorry! :dunce:

RichardCoulter 27-01-2018 06:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35933817)

Someone said to me earlier today that they thought that the term 'honkey' was a fictitious insult created especially for Love Thy Neighbour and used instead of the usual names so as not to cause offence. Trouble was was that black & white people started using it as a new term to insult each other!

Can anyone here remember if this is actually correct or not?

Edit: Someone who works in the industry said yesterday that Talking Pictures hope to start subtitling their programmes from March. I wonder if this is because they think that they might as well do this for those with hearing difficulties if they have to check all dialogue anyway to ensure no more words slip through??

heero_yuy 27-01-2018 08:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35934236)
Someone said to me earlier today that they thought that the term 'honkey' was a fictitious insult created especially for Love Thy Neighbour and used instead of the usual names so as not to cause offence. Trouble was was that black & white people started using it as a new term to insult each other!

Can anyone here remember if this is actually correct or not?

The term was used in the !973 Bond film "Live and let die"

Quote:

Take that white honkey out the back and waste him
Love thy neighbour debuted in 1976.

pip08456 27-01-2018 09:38

In the 1958 movie The Defiant Ones, Tony Curtis' character John "Joker" Jackson refers to himself as "a honky".

RichardCoulter 10-02-2018 15:15

So it seems that what I was told was incorrect.

My own research has come up with a few explanations as to where it originated from, but all seem to agree that it's a derogatory term used by black people against white people. There are also different spellings of the term.

I find this odd as I could have sworn that the two neighbours in Love Thy Neighbour called each other black and white honkey :confused:

The two most common ones are that black people wanted something to use in response to being called a nigger and that the insult was used towards white men who went into black areas looking for prostitutes. They would honk their horns to summon a black prostitute that caught their eye, so any passing black men would call them "honkeys".

Stephen 10-02-2018 15:28

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honky

There are many theories about the origin.

Arthurgray50@blu 10-02-2018 20:03

This issue is now starting to piss me off.
Talking Pictures is about old Films. And yes in films from before the 60's quite often had many comments that would be offensive today.

For Christ sake can't these people get a life.

I am sending an email today stating that l support them in what ever film they show.

If they edit any part of a film from before the 60's amd 70's.It wont be worth having the channel.

IF, people don't like what they hear or see on Tv / Film. Turn over the channel. And get a life