Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media News Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   VM News Another Price Increase (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707827)

RichardCoulter 04-07-2019 19:32

Re: VM News Another Price Increase

Premier Sports are also increasing their prices:

https://www.premiersports.com/arsenal-pre-season.html

Premier Sports is currently £9.99 per month on Sky, Virgin TV and the Premier Player. Please note if you are a Premier Sports Sky platform customer you can access the Premier Player for free.

From July 8th, the subscription price will increase to £11.99 monthly for new customers to Premier Sports on Sky or the Premier Player.

Reading this, it looks like Premier Sports won't be increasing for new customers on VM!? Is this correct?

denphone 04-07-2019 20:12

l can forsee see another Setanta Sports on the horizon..

nashville 05-07-2019 16:29

They should give the to all disabled people with packages too

richard s 06-07-2019 20:59

Virgin Media has become a rich persons service provider.... I will drop the phone and TV and see what they will charge just for 150 Mb which I am on.

RobboEdin 06-07-2019 21:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard s (Post 36001667)
Virgin Media has become a rich persons service provider.... I will drop the phone and TV and see what they will charge just for 150 Mb which I am on.

You won’t be able to stay on 150Mb. You’ll have to choose either 100 or 200.

Mullington 07-07-2019 09:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken W (Post 36001018)
I also have not heard about this Talk Protected for the over 65s and I am 76.

My guess would be that this discount only applies to a very small percentage of VM's users. There can't be many phone only users on their books and why would anyone join VM just to use the phone?

Me and the wife are in our 70's too and my wife is disabled. However, we have a basic tv package and broadband too so we're not eligible for that "Talk Protected Scheme". I'd consider us "vulnerable" and reliant on the service, but that doesn't appear to be VM's definition if things. We've been on broadband since the Cable & Wireless days.

I've just had the "your bill is going up £3 per month on Sept 1st" email, but I frankly can't see any cheaper alternatives? We've basically lost the saving we made on paying our phone rental yearly, up front on this latest price increase.

daveeb 07-07-2019 11:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mullington (Post 36001678)
My guess would be that this discount only applies to a very small percentage of VM's users. There can't be many phone only users on their books and why would anyone join VM just to use the phone?

Me and the wife are in our 70's too and my wife is disabled. However, we have a basic tv package and broadband too so we're not eligible for that "Talk Protected Scheme". I'd consider us "vulnerable" and reliant on the service, but that doesn't appear to be VM's definition if things. We've been on broadband since the Cable & Wireless days.

I've just had the "your bill is going up £3 per month on Sept 1st" email, but I frankly can't see any cheaper alternatives? We've basically lost the saving we made on paying our phone rental yearly, up front on this latest price increase.

It's an ongoing and relentless give with one hand take back with the other process. If i'd sucked up every price rise in the last 20+ years i've had cable services i'd be paying double what I am now. Up to now they've generally been quite receptive to modest discounts, i've never threatened to leave to get a deal, however from what others say retentions appears to have recently moved continents and are a lot less helpful. I guess i'll find out when I ring them.

SnoopZ 07-07-2019 12:32

What is stopping me leaving is the Internet i don't have any fast alternative, but then if i leave i have the costs of getting a BT line installed and paying for a Sky TV box so i may as well stay, if only other providers could provide services using the VM network.

daveeb 07-07-2019 12:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36001698)
What is stopping me leaving is the Internet i don't have any fast alternative, but then if i leave i have the costs of getting a BT line installed and paying for a Sky TV box so i may as well stay, if only other providers could provide services using the VM network.

Snap, I'm so far from the exchange and even further from the cabinet. I did have Sky BB as a backup and it was awful, 3 meg on a really good day. Until Gigafast rolls into town (supposedly any day) I have no viable alternative.

denphone 07-07-2019 13:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveeb (Post 36001700)
Snap, I'm so far from the exchange and even further from the cabinet. I did have Sky BB as a backup and it was awful, 3 meg on a really good day. Until Gigafast rolls into town (supposedly any day) I have no viable alternative.

My parents are even futher from the exchange and they don't even get 2 meg on a good day as using their broadband is a bit like going from a 5 star hotel to a dirt cheap B&B.

Mullington 07-07-2019 13:35

Nothing ventured, nothing gained I guess.

daveeb 07-07-2019 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36001701)
My parents are even futher from the exchange and they don't even get 2 meg on a good day as using their broadband is a bit like going from a 5 star hotel to a dirt cheap B&B.

Annoyingly my geographically nearest exchange is really close, i'm just not on it :rolleyes: I got rid of Sky last year, bit of a shame as their customer service was quite good. Who are your folks with Den ?

denphone 07-07-2019 14:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveeb (Post 36001708)
Annoyingly my geographically nearest exchange is really close, i'm just not on it :rolleyes: I got rid of Sky last year, bit of a shame as their customer service was quite good. Who are your folks with Den ?

Sky.

djmagnifique 07-07-2019 19:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36001698)

Why don't you just cancel the tv side? The new Sky boxes will work with a Virgin internet connection.

SnoopZ 07-07-2019 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by djmagnifique (Post 36001757)
Why don't you just cancel the tv side? The new Sky boxes will work with a Virgin internet connection.

No point i only paying £76 a month on a deal for over 200mbit, phone and full house TV, anything else would work out more expensive, then there is the issue of having a dish on the house and buying a Sky box.

I'm actually happy with my services from VM and whenever i have priced up Sky it is always alot more £s.