Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : BBC Sounds getting downgraded (again) on VM? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33711139)

cheekyangus 29-06-2022 10:20

BBC Sounds getting downgraded (again) on VM?

I've been noticing that the BBC Sounds TV App seems to be progressively being downgraded on Virgin Media.

First they removed the Start, Back 20, Forward 20, Live buttons when streaming Live Radio stations.

Now they seem to have removed the track information!

These features are still on the Roku version of the TV App, and I literally did an update of that Roku app today before I checked to see if the features were still present.

Is this happening to TV360 users? I'm wondering if it's just V6 this is happening on.

epsilon 29-06-2022 10:43

Re: BBC Sounds getting downgraded (again) on VM?

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36126507)
I've been noticing that the BBC Sounds TV App seems to be progressively being downgraded on Virgin Media.

First they removed the Start, Back 20, Forward 20, Live buttons when streaming Live Radio stations.

Now they seem to have removed the track information!

These features are still on the Roku version of the TV App, and I literally did an update of that Roku app today before I checked to see if the features were still present.

Is this happening to TV360 users? I'm wondering if it's just V6 this is happening on.

I pressed the skip back button on the remote and they magically reappeared. Try it.

ozsat 29-06-2022 10:43

The V6 here still has those buttons showing here on live channels although I have to press 'down' to bring them up.
And track info is still being displayed.
Anything being removed will be by choice of the BBC - who seem tro give up on older devices quite quickly. They stopped UHD/HDR support on the original Amazon 4K Firesticks.

BenMcr 29-06-2022 16:31

The app on my 360 behaves exactly the same as it does on my Samsung TV.

It seems that the play controls are now designed to hide themselves after a short period of time.

epsilon 29-06-2022 16:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36126534)

It seems that the play controls are now designed to hide themselves after a short period of time.

It was launching with just the stop button visible on the V6, similar to older versions without playback controls. The buttons and track info reappeared after I pressed skip back on the remote. Probably just a glitch and maybe what cheekyangus was seeing.

cheekyangus 29-06-2022 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by epsilon (Post 36126508)
I pressed the skip back button on the remote and they magically reappeared. Try it.

Thanks. That's fixed it. It fixed the controls first, but once I went out of one station into another it fixed the track details too. Clearly a glitch, and one that even reboots of the box doesn't fix.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozsat (Post 36126509)
The V6 here still has those buttons showing here on live channels although I have to press 'down' to bring them up.
And track info is still being displayed.
Anything being removed will be by choice of the BBC - who seem tro give up on older devices quite quickly. They stopped UHD/HDR support on the original Amazon 4K Firesticks.

Yes, indeed. Depends on the popularity of the device though, I've got an ancient Roku that's still supported, whereas newer but likely less popular devices have had support dropped entirely.
Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36126534)

I know they are designed to autohide, I wasn't meaning that. It was only showing the Stop button, like epsilon describes below.
Quote:

Originally Posted by epsilon (Post 36126535)
It was launching with just the stop button visible on the V6, similar to older versions without playback controls. The buttons and track info reappeared after I pressed skip back on the remote. Probably just a glitch and maybe what cheekyangus was seeing.

cheekyangus 30-06-2022 09:14

The glitch is continual, I had to use the skip back button on the remote just now to bring the on-screen buttons back.

heero_yuy 30-06-2022 10:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36126570)
The glitch is continual

Undocumented feature. ;)

cheekyangus 30-06-2022 10:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 36126573)
Undocumented feature. ;)

:D

cheekyangus 08-07-2022 08:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36126570)
The glitch is continual, I had to use the skip back button on the remote just now to bring the on-screen buttons back.

UPDATE. It was a continual issue, even after finding out about the skip back trick, as that only "fixed" it until you exit.

But it appears to have now been fixed properly as the the last couple of days it has been fixed when the app started.

Both the track info AND the on-screen controls, are now working properly, to be clear.

Rillington 08-07-2022 16:26

I hope this gets sorted but at least you have access to it as VM has decided not to make BBC Sounds available to TV-only customers.

BenMcr 08-07-2022 18:07

That's because the original TiVo boxes are too old to run it.

Also be aware that TiVo boxes are no longer available for replacement if or when they break. You'd either have to upgrade to a V6 or 360 box with an associated Virgin Fibre broadband service or cancel the TV service.

ozsat 08-07-2022 19:08

Do you get a free V6 or 360 upgrade for an unreplacable box?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36127696)
That's because the original TiVo boxes are too old to run it.

Also be aware that TiVo boxes are no longer available for replacement if or when they break. You'd either have to upgrade to a V6 or 360 box with an associated Virgin Fibre broadband service or cancel the TV service.

cheekyangus 08-07-2022 19:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rillington (Post 36127686)
I hope this gets sorted but at least you have access to it as VM has decided not to make BBC Sounds available to TV-only customers.

It has been sorted. That was the point of my last post.

BenMcr 08-07-2022 21:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozsat (Post 36127701)
Do you get a free V6 or 360 upgrade for an unreplacable box?

If you already have Virgin Fibre then usually it's a V6.

If you don't, then a new bundle offer including Virgin Fibre would need to be agreed to continue with TV.