Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   HD : BT Sports (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709661)

Raider999 03-01-2021 09:22

BT Sports

Of interest, did any one watch yesterday's Premiership Rugby on BT Sports HD2?

There were 2 games which I recorded and watched later on. Both recordings suffered from extreme freezing/pixelation throughout - the Wasps v Exeter match was particularly bad early in the 2nd half, becoming unwatchable.

Had similar problems to a lesser extent with the West Brom v Arsenal football on BT Sports HD1 - a couple of occurrences during the match rather than 15-20 with the rugby.

This problem only surfaced yesterday and only affects BT sports recordings, so I suspect something has changed with the quality of the BT feeds.

japitts 03-01-2021 12:30

Re: BT Sports

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36064837)

Yep, and they were perfect... no reports on VM's community forum either.

BT-2 is on the same mux as Sky Sports PL, ITV-Be, Sky News, Nick, MTV & Sky Nature (all HD variants)... are those ok for you?

Well done to Wasps taking down an admittedly weakened Exeter, just a shame the mighty Bath have them next week....

johnasimmons 03-01-2021 13:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36064837)

There were 2 games which I recorded and watched later on. Both recordings suffered from extreme freezing/pixelation throughout - the Wasps v Exeter match was particularly bad early in the 2nd half, becoming unwatchable.

Had similar problems to a lesser extent with the West Brom v Arsenal football on BT Sports HD1 - a couple of occurrences during the match rather than 15-20 with the rugby.

This problem only surfaced yesterday and only affects BT sports recordings, so I suspect something has changed with the quality of the BT feeds.

All good here too (London); might be the signal/cable to your premises that needs looking at

Raider999 03-01-2021 13:19

Thanks for the replies, I had recorded the games on my SkyQ box. No problems with recording BT matches prior to yesterday, but the Rugby on BT2 were virtually unwatchable. Similar problems on last nights West Brom v Arsenal game on BT1 (although the problems were a lot less frequent - 2 or 3 during the match)

fenman35 03-01-2021 13:51

Weather related in your area?

Itshim 03-01-2021 13:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by fenman35 (Post 36064896)

Via cable surely not :D

Raider999 03-01-2021 15:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by fenman35 (Post 36064896)

Nothing weather related and only affects BT recordings from yesterday.

Sky sports recordings from yesterday perfectly OK as were BT recordings prior to then.

fenman35 03-01-2021 15:27

" I had recorded the games on my SkyQ box"

Could be a problem in the atmosphere or snow/ice on the dish

edit Were the recordings at the same time and on the same feed?

Raider999 03-01-2021 15:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by fenman35 (Post 36064913)
" I had recorded the games on my SkyQ box"

Could be a problem in the atmosphere or snow/ice on the dish

In that case should have affected all recordings not just BT Sports ones - also for the record no weather problems in my area whatsoever.

fenman35 03-01-2021 16:03

How old is the dish/cables installation, maybe water in one of the cables.

edit Were the recordings at the same time and on the same H/V feed?

Raider999 03-01-2021 18:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by fenman35 (Post 36064921)
How old is the dish/cables installation, maybe water in one of the cables.

edit Were the recordings at the same time and on the same H/V feed?

New dish etc 3 months ago - 5 recordings at same time, all BT recordings affected, all non-BT recordings perfectly OK.

ozsat 03-01-2021 19:42

It often happens that only one or two batches of channels can be hit by a slightly misaligned or obscured dish.

On Sky the there are two transponders which carry the BT HD channels and they share with no other channels.

I'm sure if it was a transmission issue others would be reporting it and there is nothing in either the BT or Sky forums.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36064914)
In that case should have affected all recordings not just BT Sports ones - also for the record no weather problems in my area whatsoever.

Raider999 03-01-2021 22:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozsat (Post 36064972)
It often happens that only one or two batches of channels can be hit by a slightly misaligned or obscured dish.

On Sky the there are two transponders which carry the BT HD channels and they share with no other channels.

I'm sure if it was a transmission issue others would be reporting it and there is nothing in either the BT or Sky forums.

Ozsat - many thanks for your reply.

The dish is definitely not obscured. I understand what you are saying re the BT HD channels being grouped on their own on 2 transponders.

This would suggest that recording the SD channels may be a temporary fix?

If it is an alignment problem, I do not understand why it has only just surfaced after 3 months.

Raider999 04-01-2021 08:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozsat (Post 36064972)

Ozsat - I have restarted my main SkyQ box and am testing a recording shortly.

One thing - the Signal Strength is only 70% (Quality is 90%) - does this indicate a misalignment problem?

Secondly, I recorded a re-run of a German football match overnight on BTHD2 and BTSD2. The HD recording says software issue the SD recording does not.

This seems to strengthen your suggestion.

ozsat 04-01-2021 14:44

The built in meter on SkyQ is useless - 70% could be low but you really need to know what it was before any problems.

No sign of any tree branches infringing on the line of site?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36065013)
Ozsat - I have restarted my main SkyQ box and am testing a recording shortly.

One thing - the Signal Strength is only 70% (Quality is 90%) - does this indicate a misalignment problem?

Secondly, I recorded a re-run of a German football match overnight on BTHD2 and BTSD2. The HD recording says software issue the SD recording does not.

This seems to strengthen your suggestion.