Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : Virgin Media & UKTV+ITV Channels (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33706598)

murfitUK 20-07-2018 03:22

Virgin Media & UKTV+ITV Channels

Reports suggest that VM could lose the rights to show UKTV's 10 channels including Gold, Drama and Dave from Sunday.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...-in-rights-row

Mobes 20-07-2018 08:41

Re: VM loses UKTV channels

Is this gonna happen????? The place cards r up! Hope it's a scare tactic 'cos I will be pissed >:(

MalteseFalcon 20-07-2018 09:14

Sounds true, on Drama a thing pops up saying from 21st July channel will be replaced by YouTV and Gold is being replaced by Paramount Classic HD. Really hope they manage to secure a deal at the last minute.

Mr K 20-07-2018 09:18

Surely not ! those are the channels I mostly watch outside of terrestial ! Will expect a price reduction, guess i'll be disappointed.

Probably brinkmanship till the last minute, when a deal is done, seems to be the way with these channel disputes.

At least Drama and Dave are on freeview - guess i'll have to dust my old hard drive recorder down

Maggy 20-07-2018 09:26

So if UKTV channels go where will they get any viewers to fast forward through the ads? It's lost revenue which ever way you look at it.

alwaysabear 20-07-2018 10:12

Looks like this is going to happen its a great shame for those who watch UK TV channels, but if you have access to freeview, you will still be able to watch a lot of the channels.
Unfortunately, Watch, Alibi and Gold are not among them.

SnoopZ 20-07-2018 11:15

I may have to seriously look into a Sky deal if they lose Gold, anyone know of any Sky offers as i have never had Sky before?

muppetman11 20-07-2018 11:25

I'm sure someone on another forum posted that Gold was being removed from Now TV shortly but I'm not sure if that's true.

denphone 20-07-2018 11:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35955404)
I'm sure someone on another forum posted that Gold was being removed from Now TV shortly but I'm not sure if that's true.

ATM there is no truth in that rumour.

OLD BOY 20-07-2018 11:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysabear (Post 35955395)
Looks like this is going to happen its a great shame for those who watch UK TV channels, but if you have access to freeview, you will still be able to watch a lot of the channels.
Unfortunately, Watch, Alibi and Gold are not among them.

I have watched the odd programme on Drama and last year I recorded a series that was on W, but to be honest, most of the content is quite old and almost everything shown are repeats.

So I will not miss these channels at all, but I feel sorry for those whose staple diet of TV viewing consists of archive material.

denphone 20-07-2018 12:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35955410)
I have watched the odd programme on Drama and last year I recorded a series that was on W, but to be honest, most of the content is quite old and almost everything shown are repeats.

So I will not miss these channels at all, but I feel sorry for those whose staple diet of TV viewing consists of archive material.

Many people have varied diets less you forget..;)

OLD BOY 20-07-2018 12:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35955417)
Many people have varied diets less you forget..;)

I know that, Den, I was just pointing out that these channels consist almost entirely of programmes that have been broadcast before (often many, many times).

People are saying, for example, that they will not be able to warch Quantico, which is, actually a good series. However, it was shown on Sky Living only last year.

SonicMaster 20-07-2018 12:34

One of the issues that has been raised by Virgin Media is that UKTV are increasingly airing programmes from their subscription channels (W, Gold, Alibi, Good Food and Eden) on their free channels (Dave, Drama, Really, Yesterday and Home) which continually devalues them.

All of their free channels are now available on Freeview and Freesat, so what Virgin Media will be looking for as valuable to them is the exclusive content on the 5 subscription channels (and not the 5 free channels) plus HD variants and on demand content.

They have probabably determined that since their last deal in 2016 the value of UKTV is substantially less so they want to pay substantially less and that seems fair enough.

It will do a lot of damage to both parties if they cannot come to an agreement, but it's a very valid argument.

Mr K 20-07-2018 14:25

Presumably stuff already recorded will be able to view ? I know you can't do this with premium channels once unsubscribed, but I guess uktv recordings will be ok ?

heero_yuy 20-07-2018 14:25

Glad I put a Freeview antenna up in the loft as a backstop. Some of the repeats are worth re-watching but I'll miss the HD varients.