Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   HD : Time Delay on sky sports Channels (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33708700)

Rob King 04-02-2020 11:38

Time Delay on sky sports Channels

Has any one else noticed the delay when watching football on sky channels on V6 box the Channels are Premier league channel and Sky Main event both in HD its nearly 7 seconds behind its been like this for weeks

spiderplant 04-02-2020 11:48

Re: Time Delay on sky sports Channels

It takes time to encode and decode the video.

Out of interest, how are you measuring the delay? It's not easy unless you live next to the stadium

denphone 04-02-2020 12:04

The time delay when Amazon Prime showed their football was at least 45 seconds from what l hear.

Mr K 04-02-2020 13:22

Freeview is the only place for truly live sport*. During the last World Cup goals on my Freeview TV were several seconds of what came through.on VMs feed. Sky/VM/BT should be done under the Trade Descriptions Act for putting 'Live' on their channels.

*Well truly live is going to the game and seeing in in ultra Ulta ultra HD, but that seems to be old hat these days !

devilincarnate 04-02-2020 13:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36024224)

*Well truly live is going to the game and seeing in in ultra Ulta ultra HD, but that seems to be old hat these days !

Have you seen the delay on UHD lol

spiderplant 04-02-2020 14:24

Quote:

Freeview is the only place for truly live sport*

Freeview is also delayed. It's unavoidable for any service that uses digital compression.

cheekyangus 04-02-2020 14:57

Quote:

Freeview is the only place for truly live sport*. During the last World Cup goals on my Freeview TV were several seconds of what came through.on VMs feed. Sky/VM/BT should be done under the Trade Descriptions Act for putting 'Live' on their channels.

For a while now Freeview SD has been behind VM HD here!

When watching Pointless on BBC1 Scotland HD on VM and the kitchen on Freeview the latter is a slipt second behind. There used to be a substancial lag with Cable here, be it SD or HD but now it seems to have reversed. Certainly on the channels we watch.

Media Boy UK 04-02-2020 16:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36024239)
For a while now Freeview SD has been behind VM HD here!

When watching Pointless on BBC1 Scotland HD on VM and the kitchen on Freeview the latter is a slipt second behind. There used to be a substancial lag with Cable here, be it SD or HD but now it seems to have reversed. Certainly on the channels we watch.

When all Virgin Media channels want MPEG4 their all want 10secs back.

I was watching police academy 4 on ITV4 +1 when it join MPEG4 mid way into the movie.

spankysmagicpian 04-02-2020 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36024250)
When all Virgin Media channels want MPEG4 their all want 10secs back.

I was watching police academy 4 on ITV4 +1 when it join MPEG4 mid way into the movie.

What???? :confused::confused::confused:

Rob King 04-02-2020 21:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36024219)
It takes time to encode and decode the video.

Out of interest, how are you measuring the delay? It's not easy unless you live next to the stadium

I switch from one channel the back and the time is 7 seconds different

nialli 05-02-2020 16:23

Streaming to a tablet or phone is even worse - that's minutes behind, not seconds

Raider999 05-02-2020 17:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by nialli (Post 36024342)
Streaming to a tablet or phone is even worse - that's minutes behind, not seconds

Another reason not to embrace streaming for sport

ncfc1902 05-02-2020 20:01

Still none the wiser as to why the feed on the Sky Premier League channel is 7 seconds behind the Sky Sports Main Event channel when both channels are showing the same live match.

Rob King 05-02-2020 21:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by ncfc1902 (Post 36024351)
Still none the wiser as to why the feed on the Sky Premier League channel is 7 seconds behind the Sky Sports Main Event channel when both channels are showing the same live match.

Yes I agree try it next time there's a football game on those 2 channels

Legendkiller2k 05-02-2020 21:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by nialli (Post 36024342)

Really must be poor internet then as i stream live sport and the delay is only 17 seconds, 40 seconds tops.