Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Post-Brexit Thread (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33703180)

RBMark 25-06-2016 11:55

Re: Post-Brexit Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntluser (Post 35845485)
May be we need to set up a counter petition requesting that we don't have a second referendum.

Or a third petition requesting a third referendum, then remains can have a forth, then leave have a fifth. I just don't think it's possible to over rule a democratic vote in a democratic country.

ntluser 25-06-2016 11:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by RBMark (Post 35845491)
Or a third petition requesting a third referendum, then remains can have a fourth, then leave have a fifth. I just don't think it's possible to over rule a democratic vote in a democratic country.

Absolutely. LOL!!

Big Brian 25-06-2016 12:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35845480)
I think there is some convention that allows EU citizens to stay if they've been here 5/10 years it's just not very clear or well advertised. Other than that though we don't actually know, for sure, what their status is. It's just very unlikely they'll be made to leave because it would be far too costly, disruptive and unworkable to make them leave.

Some voters though seem to think that the immigration that has already happened would be reversed if we left.

Both campaigns are to blame for this perception though. Remain wanted to terrify people that there would be deportations and Leave didn't want to alienate voters who are voting because of immigration, especially in there area, they both made lip-service to the notion they would stay. Especially the Tory Leavers (Gove, Hannan and Johnson) but not especially loudly.

They'll be fine.

Yes There was something I heard on tv about preparing for a massive influx before we leave the EU but don't know how much truth there was in it.

---------- Post added at 12:01 ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35845483)
The EU States are waking up and discovering when they drafted Article 50 they made no provision for the remaining states to force the start of negotiations. Only the British government can invoke Art50 and it is annoying the rest of them like hell.

I think secretly they wanted us to vote leave. One spokesperson on tv said we were moaners and there's not a lot of love lost. Junkyard seems to want rid of us quickly. Makes you wonder?

---------- Post added at 12:02 ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntluser (Post 35845485)
May be we need to set up a counter petition requesting that we don't have a second referendum.

What's the reason for a second ref?

Gary L 25-06-2016 12:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Brian (Post 35845493)
What's the reason for a second ref?

Because they're bad losers.

there's winners and there's losers in life.
some people can't bare being losers.

Big Brian 25-06-2016 12:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary L (Post 35845490)
This petition says..

"We the undersigned call upon HM Government to implement a rule that if the remain or leave vote is less than 60% based a turnout less than 75% there should be another referendum."

So you're signing for a new rule to be implemented in the future. you're not signing to 'demand' a second referendum based on the one just taken place. just any future ones.

it's really badly worded.

They did that in Scotland in the 70s and though yes were in the majority for an assembly they didn't get it.

ntluser 25-06-2016 12:07

The EU tolerated but restricted us while we were in and now that we have voted for Brexit they have realised that as well as not having our contribution a bad trade deal may mean that they will not have as much income from the British market as they hoped.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in that meeting of the 6 EU founders. It will be really interesting to hear what they decide.

Ignitionnet 25-06-2016 12:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by RBMark (Post 35845471)
Or the UK that amazingly diverse country that attracts millions from around the world who will literally crawl through Spain/France etc to get here. This is a great diverse beautiful country, your hate filled anti UK comments should be kept for Facebook where you'll have plenty who agree with you!

I've read some of your comments in the past about reasons why you can't afford to live/buy a home in London! People in glass houses!!!!!!

I've neither been hate-filled or anti-UK. I've been realistic. The UK has never been a good fit for the EU as it stands, always an odd one out.

I'll post here for as long as those who own the site permit me to, and whatever I want as long as it's within the rules, thanks.

---------- Post added at 12:12 ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by RBMark (Post 35845481)
The EU states Britain must URGENTLY trigger article 50! Let it begin

http://news.sky.com/story/1717427/uk...rgently-france

Absolutely not. Businesses and the financial markets need some time to stabilise.

---------- Post added at 12:12 ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35845483)
The EU States are waking up and discovering when they drafted Article 50 they made no provision for the remaining states to force the start of negotiations. Only the British government can invoke Art50 and it is annoying the rest of them like hell.

Indeed. What can they do, threaten to kick us out? ;)

---------- Post added at 12:14 ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Brian (Post 35845493)
Yes There was something I heard on tv about preparing for a massive influx before we leave the EU but don't know how much truth there was in it.

There's potential for a spike in outward migration as well, though. It's sadly unlikely that those coming in would match the 'calibre' of those going out. Bit of a brain drain.

---------- Post added at 12:16 ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntluser (Post 35845498)
The EU tolerated but restricted us while we were in and now that we have voted for Brexit they have realised that as well as not having our contribution a bad trade deal may mean that they will not have as much income from the British market as they hoped.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in that meeting of the 6 EU founders. It will be really interesting to hear what they decide.

They didn't really restrict us any more than anyone else to be fair. They tolerated us, we tolerated them, we moaned incessantly about them, they moaned incessantly about us.

See if either side starts singing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMYUYtsUGgg

papa smurf 25-06-2016 12:23

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=Big Brian;35845493]Yes There was something I heard on tv about preparing for a massive influx before we leave the EU but don't know how much truth there was in it.[COLOR="Silver"]

we have our bit covered

papa smurf 25-06-2016 12:30

1 Attachment(s)
boarder control seems a little tighter

deadite66 25-06-2016 12:42

Coincidentally Tankfest is on this weekend :)

techguyone 25-06-2016 12:46

Why would we need to have border controls in Calais?

Is it part of the UK now?

Why do we seem to have a responsibility to all the people camping in France (who aren't even European) because they seem to think they can come here?

They are not in our country and are not our problem. Perhaps if France had moved them on rather than let them build shanty cities in their Country there wouldn't be a need to do anymore than that.

martyh 25-06-2016 13:24

UK's EU commissioner Lord Hill to resign

wonder how this un-elected official is going to replace the 20 grand a month wage

Big Brian 25-06-2016 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by techguyone (Post 35845511)

Why do we seem to have a responsibility to all the people camping in France (who aren't even European) because they seem to think they can come here?

They are not in our country and are not our problem. Perhaps if France had moved them on rather than let them build shanty cities in their Country there wouldn't be a need to do anymore than that.

That agreement is between us and France and nothing to do with the EU. Though the Mayor of some town wants it scrapped it's up to ours' and Frances' Governments. I think it will hold for a few years yet. Can't you see why? They drown on the way to France, we can't have them drowning after they leave France can we?

martyh 25-06-2016 13:41

Anybody looking for a job i would suggest UK border control :D

Damien 25-06-2016 13:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by techguyone (Post 35845511)

We have the border in Calais so they can't come here before we see who they are. If it was in Dover those camps would be here.