Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Post-Brexit Thread (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33703180)

ianch99 25-06-2016 10:48

Re: Post-Brexit Thread

EU Brexit referendum: France's Calais seeks border deal changes

Seems fair I suppose ..

Quote:

The mayor of Calais wants changes to a deal which allows Britain to carry out immigration checks on the French side of the English Channel, after a UK vote to leave the EU.
Natacha Bouchart said Paris must act after Thursday's referendum in which the UK voted to leave the EU.
"The British must take the consequences of their choice," she said on Friday.
Under the 2003 Touquet deal, Britain can carry out check in Calais to stop migrants trying to get to Britain.

Damien 25-06-2016 10:52

The French government is in charge of that. They haven't indicated it is in danger yet.

ianch99 25-06-2016 10:58

This is interesting: maybe Leave are not going to do what they promised on immigration after all?

I am not sure how influential this chap is but if he is, worrying for those that voted leave:

Evan Davis Clashes With Daniel Hannan MEP On Newsnight After EU Referendum Brexit Vote

Quote:

Evan Davis has accused a leading Brexit campaigner of peddling an immigration policy “completely at odds with what the public think they’ve just voted for” after Brexit.

The Newsnight presenter confronted MEP Daniel Hannan, when he was reduced to putting his head in his hands out of visible frustration over the “change of tone on freedom of movement”.

A tense exchange between the two saw Davis accuse Hannan of promising to take back control of immigration, but after a Brexit win on Friday, admit the country would still allow free movement of labour from Europe.

Hannan had said the UK should stay within the “common market” - the EU trading group - but Davis reminded him that meant Britain would still have to allow in unlimited numbers of European workers.

“I’m sorry we’ve just been through three months of agony on the issue of immigration,” Davis lamented. “The public have been led to believe that what they have voted for is an end to free movement.”

Damien 25-06-2016 11:01

The problem is that different Leavers had different ideas of what Leave is. Hannan, like Gove and Johnson, aren't too fussed about immigration but rather the social chapter stuff from the EU imposing themselves on UK law. It's why Hannan has always quite admired something 'close' to what Norway do. I.E Pay for entry to the single market.

Gavin78 25-06-2016 11:03

I just read on sky news website that the 6 founding members are having a meeting to discuss UK leaving the EU minus the UK as they have EU related stuff to talk about as well and the UK can't be part of that anymore lol like we give a crap.

merkel went on to say that we wont let the UK destroy the EU. all I can say is take a chill pill we wanted to do it on our own we had or haven't shown any interest in destroying the EU. if the EU is that weak that it needs the UK to hold it together then it shows how weak the EU really was and we were puppets on a string.

It shows how the other member states must have actually being laughing at us from across the water and now we have left it's turned into negativity towards us and they don't see the funny side now we have taken their toys away

ntluser 25-06-2016 11:12

Given the news reported today that several countries are now pushing for an EU referendum, it seems likely that the EU may be diminished or may even break up.

Given too the massive unhappiness in the EU countries this presents the new PM with an opportunity to create a new purely economic trading bloc with countries that leave.

It could be a genuine free trade area with no VAT, no Tariffs, no EU courts and no political union with immigration levels left at the discretion of national governments.

We do need and welcome immigrants but the government would have to manage their countrywide distribution better as heavy concentrations of immigrants in one area tend to breed resentment.

We also need to do a lot more to get the unemployed 5% of the population into a job because present schemes are not working. Part of that task will also be weeding out those who have no intention of getting a job and dealing with them.

Anypermitedroute 25-06-2016 11:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by techguyone (Post 35845439)
I don't understand why Anypermitedroute's girlfriend wouldn't be 'safe' ffs, is she going to be attacked or something? Given Austrias track record, you'd be less 'safe' in Austria.

I'm just glad we got the ref when we did, what with Gen Snowflake and the population makeup in the big Cities, another 5- 10 years would have killed that off forever.

This is our best chance to do something new and good, but it'll never work whilst half the country refuses to accept it and only offers doom and gloom.

I think a massive section of the public need to grow the fark up... petitions... calls for another ref... cries of how it's unfair... selfish old people etc etc.

It's happened, it's real, get over it.

Work together or it WILL fail.

Or is that what they want?

I said unwelcome and safe in the context of whether safe to remain or be asked to leave.

No one knows this until discussion have taken place, we can have a view but there is now no guarantees of anything other than pulling out of EU

Big Brian 25-06-2016 11:21

Re: Should the UK invoke Article 50?

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35845189)
why antagonise the EU there is a mechanism in place to facilitate our exit we should use it ,we should part on good terms .

I think parting on good terms is a must to allow us to get good trade deals. Is there a way we can get deals with EU country or does it have to be a bloc deal? I know Germany want trade as usual and there is no way they will put up tariffs.

---------- Post added at 11:21 ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35845461)
The problem is that different Leavers had different ideas of what Leave is. Hannan, like Gove and Johnson, aren't too fussed about immigration but rather the social chapter stuff from the EU imposing themselves on UK law. It's why Hannan has always quite admired something 'close' to what Norway do. I.E Pay for entry to the single market.

How much would it cost? This is the big question. We don't want to be back to paying to the EU as that kinda defeats the purpose of leaving somewhat.

I think we are in a different position to Norway and Switzerland as we have already been in the Single Market. I can't see why leaving the Political EU should bar us from leaving the Single Market. After all it was the Single Market we joined in the first place. No I think it would have to be some kind of different deal to them.

Ignitionnet 25-06-2016 11:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35845428)
This is why people are expecting an election so a governing party can get a mandate of what to do on Leave. I think though that Boris/Gove would be more inclined for the EEA option.

If we even had a chance of getting it that is. At the moment it seems the best deal we could get economically but the EU may well reject it.

I definitely think Boris/Gove are more inclined towards the EEA option. It would tick most of the boxes for Daniel Hannan. It would probably outrage many on the UKIP side.

As long as they can point to freedom of movement as a 'necessary evil' they're alright.

Economically I think the EU wouldn't necessarily be too opposed. The UK was always a bad fit, that politically incorrect uncle you hope stays in the corner at the family party getting drunk and not talking to anyone.

martyh 25-06-2016 11:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35845452)
Oh come on. What's wrong with what I said? :confused:

I think it's a fair assessment of the situation. I didn't say we were heading for disaster but that it's a divided country, it is by the way, and we need to achieve the best deal possible.

There's nothing really wrong with what you said but at least let the people have their day before the boring doom and gloom stuff starts ,a positive mental attitude never hurts ;)

Ignitionnet 25-06-2016 11:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by techguyone (Post 35845439)
I don't understand why Anypermitedroute's girlfriend wouldn't be 'safe' ffs, is she going to be attacked or something? Given Austrias track record, you'd be less 'safe' in Austria.

It's happened, it's real, get over it.

Work together or it WILL fail.

Yesterday 2 European immigrants that I know were asked when they were going home.

Yes, let's work together towards a sensible solution that works for all involved.

Damien 25-06-2016 11:29

Re: Should the UK invoke Article 50?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Brian (Post 35845465)
How much would it cost? This is the big question. We don't want to be back to paying to the EU as that kinda defeats the purpose of leaving somewhat.

£350,000,001 a day! Not really. I don't know. Probably similar to what we pay now without the rebate. The real cost though would be freedom of movement.

Quote:

I think we are in a different position to Norway and Switzerland as we have already been in the Single Market. I can't see why leaving the Political EU should bar us from leaving the Single Market. After all it was the Single Market we joined in the first place. No I think it would have to be some kind of different deal to them.
I think that's pretty much what the EEA sorta is. I think Hannan wants a version of that.

RBMark 25-06-2016 11:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignitionnet (Post 35845467)
I definitely think Boris/Gove are more inclined towards the EEA option. It would tick most of the boxes for Daniel Hannan. It would probably outrage many on the UKIP side.

As long as they can point to freedom of movement as a 'necessary evil' they're alright.

Economically I think the EU wouldn't necessarily be too opposed. The UK was always a bad fit, that politically incorrect uncle you hope stays in the corner at the family party getting drunk and not talking to anyone.

Or the UK that amazingly diverse country that attracts millions from around the world who will literally crawl through Spain/France etc to get here. This is a great diverse beautiful country, your hate filled anti UK comments should be kept for Facebook where you'll have plenty who agree with you!

I've read some of your comments in the past about reasons why you can't afford to live/buy a home in London! People in glass houses!!!!!!

Big Brian 25-06-2016 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 35845460)
This is interesting: maybe Leave are not going to do what they promised on immigration after all?

I am not sure how influential this chap is but if he is, worrying for those that voted leave:

Evan Davis Clashes With Daniel Hannan MEP On Newsnight After EU Referendum Brexit Vote

Let's sort this out once and for all. Leave never promised to stop immigration, they promised to limit it and cut it down. You can't stop it completely, you need immigration. You have to set a target of say 50k a year and not go above it. You don't have to take 50k, you may only need 20k so you stop well. In Australia, theirs is geared to get more immigration. This is why we say "an Australian Style.' and not an Australian system. It isn't rocket science really.

Incidentally, I hear talk of people asking reporters when they have to leave. They don't have to leave, this is where the confusion is. On the news a Poll asked that question live to a reporter. She asked this because she didn't have a British Passport. Do any of us have a British Passport? Wouldn't know haven't renewed mine since the 80's. I'd say if you have a job you'll be safe.

ntluser 25-06-2016 11:32

It would be good to leave on good terms if the EU will allow us to.

It might help if the new PM were to announce:-

a) we were still hoping to trade with the EU in some way without tariffs on either side

b) we were not planning to expel existing working, law abiding foreign nationals

c) we were allowing immigration into the UK within limits specified by the UK government

This would demonstrate good will and relieve some of the anxiety felt by foreign nationals here.