Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Traffic Shaping (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=45320)

Toto 31-03-2006 15:59

Traffic Shaping

Well, some have aluded to this, but now it looks official.

Quote:

In addition, we reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to manage all traffic and traffic types on our data network to ensure a consistent and optimal service for all our Broadband customers. [img]Download Failed (1)[/img]At peak times (normally 6pm to 11pm), we may therefore limit the bandwidth available to less time-sensitive traffic types, in particular peer to peer traffic, or in extreme circumstances, where network congestion leads to potential denial of service for some customers, to reduce bandwidth allocations at an individual or a network level, in order to maintain a consistent quality of service for all customers. These restrictions do not apply outside of peak hours.
Taken from section 20 of the ntlworld user policy.

jtwn 31-03-2006 16:05

Re: Traffic Shaping

'We reserve the right' as opposed to we are in every area we can needlessly in the view of saving bandwidth/money.

Seems like a sensible thing to do to ease congestion with the higher tier services to beat off BT and the like until better technologies come.

Still I can max or near enough 24/7 :Pumpkin:

---------- Post added at 16:05 ---------- Previous post was at 16:00 ----------

Oh and p2p, like I said with Bittorrent, Rogers and the amount of the network it takes up!

Neil 31-03-2006 16:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtwn
'We reserve the right' as opposed to we are in every area we can needlessly in the view of saving bandwidth/money.

Reserve the right is a polite way of saying that they are going to do it.

Quote:

Seems like a sensible thing to do to ease congestion with the higher tier services to beat off BT and the like until better technologies come.

That's not the reason it's being implemented.

Quote:

Still I can max or near enough 24/7 :Pumpkin:

No you can't, you'll get your download speed abilities throttled from 6pm.

---------- Post added at 16:05 ---------- Previous post was at 16:00 ----------

jtwn 31-03-2006 16:23

How much you betting Neil? Because if its over nothing you are going to lose.

Neil 31-03-2006 16:30

Quote:

I have absolutely no idea what you mean. :erm:

2||Para 31-03-2006 16:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil
Reserve the right is a polite way of saying that they are going to do it.

Or already doing it but didn't want to own upto it.

Bill C 31-03-2006 16:31

Quote:

This should be fun

etccarmageddon 31-03-2006 16:37

Quote:

what is the reason?

handyman 31-03-2006 16:41

Quote:

Take a wander down to ntlw head end , take a peek at the equipment there set-up to do this and then come back here , lol

This is happening..

Bill C 31-03-2006 16:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by etccarmageddon
Quote:

what is the reason?

So how many believed me when i said they might be something going on with my connection. 6 till 12 was when i had my problems. soon as 12.00 midnight was hit it stopped. ? Now i know they have said 11.00pm but they might have been testing so took it till 12.00

etccarmageddon 31-03-2006 16:44

if that really is you Bill, it's great to see you back.

(although somewhat puzzling that you have a new ID and flashing eyes)

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlimited
So how many believed me when i said they might be something going on with my connection. 6 till 12 was when i had my problems. soon as 12.00 midnight was hit it stopped. ? Now i know they have said 11.00pm but they might have been testing so took it till 12.00

I didn't believe you re shaping as I'd assumed it was due to your local network being overloaded due to underinvestment!

Bill C 31-03-2006 16:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by etccarmageddon
if that really is you Bill, it's great to see you back.

(although somewhat puzzling that you have a new ID and flashing eyes)

Quote:

I didn't believe you re shaping as I'd assumed it was due to your local network being overloaded due to underinvestment!

Thanks for the welcome back. Yes it is me. :Yikes:

Funny thing is there has been no work on the ubr from what i can see but my connection is now fine. Put 2 and 2 together and what do you get ?

I am moving to Be Unlimited on the 1st of August anyway :)

Frank 31-03-2006 16:47

Quote:

So how many believed me when i said they might be something going on with my connection. 6 till 12 was when i had my problems. soon as 12.00 midnight was hit it stopped. ?

Specifically what application is slow though? It's usually only certain applications like Bittorrent. Some of the newest clients encrypt packets so traffic shaping no longer works as the packets are not recognised as BitTorrent packets so they can't be shaped.

Bill C 31-03-2006 16:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank
Quote:

So how many believed me when i said they might be something going on with my connection. 6 till 12 was when i had my problems. soon as 12.00 midnight was hit it stopped. ?

Specifically what application is slow though? It's usually only certain applications like Bittorrent. Some of the newest clients encrypt packets so traffic shaping no longer works as the packets are not recognised as BitTorrent packets so they can't be shaped.

Newsgroups on port 119,7000,8000,9000 and Bittorrent. I use Unlimited newshosting.com who have a test page HERE

Anything else is fine and gaming is unaffected.

Frank 31-03-2006 17:05

Makes sense. My ISP has done the same thing for a long time, but as adoption of BitTorrent clients that support encryption increases, that service at least will no longer be an issue. Newsgroups... different story as the packets are easily identifiable and the protocol probably isn't about to change.