Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Coronavirus (OLD) (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33708712)

papa smurf 30-05-2020 15:29

Re: Coronavirus

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36037748)
Probably not - there’s probably a genetic factor involved, and since most people in that area are related, that may be the reason for the resistance to infection... ;)

Yea you could be right, locally the town is known as sandwich town,cos we're all in bred:)

OLD BOY 30-05-2020 20:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36035297)

North Lincolnshire now has 510 confirmed cases - up nine in the last 24 hours and an infection rate of 296.5 per 100,000 of the population.

My God, and that's just contemplating easing of the restrictions!

Everybody, stop thinking!! :shocking:

jfman 30-05-2020 20:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36037775)
My God, and that's just contemplating easing of the restrictions!

Everybody, stop thinking!! :shocking:

The one good thing we have is plenty of experience in ignoring internationally recognised best practice on dealing with pandemics.

It will not work.

1andrew1 31-05-2020 14:31

I'm looking forward to the lockdown easing.

But the number of deaths in the UK v other European countries does concern me. Am I right to be concerned?

The countries with the largest number of CV-19 deaths on 29 May were:
UK: 324
Italy: 87
Sweden: 84

jfman 31-05-2020 14:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36037847)
I'm looking forward to the lockdown easing.

But the number of deaths in the UK v other European countries does concern me. Am I right to be concerned?

The countries with the largest number of CV-19 deaths on 29 May were:
UK: 324
Italy: 87
Sweden: 84

Yes.

We’ve essentially reset the clock to mid February. What controls are in place now that were not then to prevent exponential spread?

Paul 31-05-2020 15:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36037847)
Am I right to be concerned?

I'm sure the forums resident viral experts will soon tell you. ;)

Chris 31-05-2020 15:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36037848)
Yes.

We’ve essentially reset the clock to mid February. What controls are in place now that were not then to prevent exponential spread?

I assume this is a wilfully dim question designed to provoke debate.

jfman 31-05-2020 16:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36037852)

Far from it. We know what happens with uncontrolled spread. It’s tried, tested and failed to sufficiently keep the number of serious cases (and deaths) down.

The lockdown was an emergency brake. Until we are in a position to quickly identify cases as they arise, trace and test known contacts there is a sense of inevitability about where this goes and further lockdowns become inevitable.

Washing your hands to God Save the Queen won’t cut it.

papa smurf 31-05-2020 16:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36037852)

Seems it was unwillfully dim;)

Damien 31-05-2020 19:30

I think opening up is more of a risk here than it was elsewhere as we do still have quite a few cases, the track and trace system isn't fulling up and neither is the app (surprise!) so we'll see..

On the other hand, I don't see how much longer they could maintain it. We're already having one of the longest lockdowns in Europe, albeit less strict, and you can only hold it so long.

OLD BOY 31-05-2020 20:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36037854)
Far from it. We know what happens with uncontrolled spread. It’s tried, tested and failed to sufficiently keep the number of serious cases (and deaths) down.

The lockdown was an emergency brake. Until we are in a position to quickly identify cases as they arise, trace and test known contacts there is a sense of inevitability about where this goes and further lockdowns become inevitable.

Washing your hands to God Save the Queen won’t cut it.

The lockdown was an attempt to slow the spread of the virus down, not to stop it. That was never going to happen.

jfman 31-05-2020 20:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36037874)
The lockdown was an attempt to slow the spread of the virus down, not to stop it. That was never going to happen.

Certainly done in the ineffective manner that the UK have managed the situation it would never stop the virus from spreading.

This will have longer term consequences in terms of trade and tourism - countries that have effectively managed the situation will keep the UK on a blacklist - e.g. Greece not admitting UK tourists due to our deaths/infection rate being too high.

Pierre 31-05-2020 20:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36037872)
I think opening up is more of a risk here than it was elsewhere as we do still have quite a few cases, the track and trace system isn't fulling up and neither is the app (surprise!) so we'll see..

On the other hand, I don't see how much longer they could maintain it. We're already having one of the longest lockdowns in Europe, albeit less strict, and you can only hold it so long.

Everywhere, in Europe at least is opening up again and so we have to. As Raab said this morning we can’t be in lockdown forever. It’s a balancing act and we gave to try and move one.......Stay alert, use common sense.

jfman 31-05-2020 20:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36037879)
Everywhere, in Europe at least is opening up again and so we have to. As Raab said this morning we can’t be in lockdown forever. It’s a balancing act and we gave to try and move one.......Stay alert, use common sense.

We don't have to anything simply because Europe is doing something, especially compared countries that either locked down earlier (Italy), harder (Spain) or simply managed the situation better (Germany).

We should manage the situation based on our experience here - what happened to take back control?

Mr K 31-05-2020 20:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36037880)
We don't have to anything simply because Europe is doing something, especially compared countries that either locked down earlier (Italy), harder (Spain) or simply managed the situation better (Germany).

We should manage the situation based on our experience here - what happened to take back control?

He took back control, and fancied a day trip to Barnard Castle to see the bluebells/test his eyesight, on his wife's Birthday, in the middle of a pandemic...