Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Coronavirus (OLD) (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33708712)

Mick 10-02-2020 10:32

Coronavirus (OLD)

BREAKING: Coronavirus cases in the UK double due to ‘super spreader’ bringing 8 confirmed Coronavirus victims in Britain.

• The global number of deaths is 910, with 908 in China, including an American and a Japanese person
  • A total of 97 people died of coronavirus in China on Sunday - the largest in a single day since the outbreak was detected in mid-December, denting optimism the death control measures are fighting the outbreak
  • On Sunday, 3,062 new virus cases were reported in China - a 15% increase from the day before, bringing the total to 40,171, including 27 foreigners
  • More than 360 cases have been confirmed outside mainland China, with two deaths
  • The total number of deaths exceeds the 774 killed by the 2002/3 SARS outbreak
  • Confirmed cases of the new virus vastly exceed the 8,098 infected by SARS

Source: Sky News: https://news.sky.com/story/uk-corona...itive-11930618

papa smurf 10-02-2020 10:58

Re: Coronavirus

I have noticed that the price of face masks has gone from dirt cheap to quite expensive, i'm not saying they will do any good just noticing the price.

mrmistoffelees 10-02-2020 11:37

Absolute, complete overkill and sensationalism by the media on this.

The mortality rate is approximately 2%

Interesting dashboard here from John Hopkins

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6

papa smurf 10-02-2020 11:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 36024564)

That's around 140,000,000 globally if it gets out of hand.

mrmistoffelees 10-02-2020 12:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36024565)
That's around 140,000,000 globally if it gets out of hand.

The flu has caused approx. 10,000 deaths in the US alone this ‘season’

Let’s have some perspective

Hugh 10-02-2020 12:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 36024566)
The flu has caused approx. 10,000 deaths in the US alone this ‘season’

Let’s have some perspective

In the latest flu season, about 0.05% of people who caught the flu have died from the virus - whilst it's early days yet, as we don't know how virulent this strain of coronavirus is, at this time, the mortality rate is 2%, or 40 times the fatality rate.

denphone 10-02-2020 12:17

Quote:

We had this with the bird flu if l rightly remember.

mrmistoffelees 10-02-2020 12:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36024567)
In the latest flu season, about 0.05% of people who caught the flu have died from the virus - whilst it's early days yet, as we don't know how virulent this strain of coronavirus is, at this time, the mortality rate is 2%, or 40 times the fatality rate.

And whilst I don't have the exact figures to hand, I believe it to be something like 95% of deaths are not directly attributable to this strain of virus, it's due to complications of pre existing medical conditions.

If that 95% is correct that would lead to a 45 deaths from 40,573 confirmed cases that would give a mortality rate of 0.110% not lmuch different to nfluenza

---------- Post added at 12:43 ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36024569)
We had this with the bird flu if l rightly remember.

See also, Swine Flu

downquark1 10-02-2020 13:40

Even if the fatalities are not that high:

1) the NHS is incredibly over burdened at the moment
2) epidemics cause economic damage from mass sick leave
3) if the virus secures are permanent circulation this will be a yearly occurrence

Pierre 10-02-2020 14:10

Quote:

I heard that the mortality rate was actually just 1%.

It’s dangerous for elderly, very young and those with respiratory complications.

Taf 10-02-2020 14:17

I know of 2 GP surgeries that have been shut (one due to the virus being detected in a staff member, one as a precaution). This is going to cause hardship.

papa smurf 10-02-2020 14:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36024577)
I know of 2 GP surgeries that have been shut (one due to the virus being detected in a staff member, one as a precaution). This is going to cause hardship.

We have this locally

Grimsby Chinese takeaway closed after owners put themselves in quarantine to ease coronavirus fears after trip to China

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/n...-after-3828255

mrmistoffelees 10-02-2020 14:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36024578)
We have this locally

Grimsby Chinese takeaway closed after owners put themselves in quarantine to ease coronavirus fears after trip to China

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/n...-after-3828255

Wow, fourteen days of business lost due to media hysteria....

---------- Post added at 14:33 ---------- Previous post was at 14:28 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36024576)

It’s dangerous for elderly, very young and those with respiratory complications.

If my figures are correct (which reminds me to find them and post) it's less than that.

and too your second line. As is any respiratory condition. such as, the flu

(not trying to teach you to suck eggs, just emphasis)

---------- Post added at 14:35 ---------- Previous post was at 14:33 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by downquark1 (Post 36024575)
Even if the fatalities are not that high:

1) the NHS is incredibly over burdened at the moment
2) epidemics cause economic damage from mass sick leave
3) if the virus secures are permanent circulation this will be a yearly occurrence

1) Yes, and a great deal of the burden is caused by those who misuse it. Those for example that go to their GP's for a cold when all they need to do is follow sensible guidance.
2) Fair point
3) Big IF

downquark1 10-02-2020 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36024576)

This was an early projection from very incomplete data. The doctor who tried to warn the Chinese people about it has allegedly died from it and he was quite young.

denphone 10-02-2020 15:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36024577)

Brighton have closed a GP surgery.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51447761

jonbxx 10-02-2020 15:45

It's a tough tightrope public health bodies have to walk on with things like this...

Being 'cautiously aware' and monitoring the situation is probably where we should be now but politically, it can look like nothing much is being done. Overdoing it however can have the opposite effect creating panic. If we do not do enough to prevent the spread of a nasty bug or incite panic, both can have the same effect, people will not be at work due to either the real or perceived threat.

If coronavirus does have a 2% mortality rate, that's up there with spanish flu and something to be worried about if transmissibility is around the same as flu. That still isn't clear at the moment.

Time to review the Governments Pandemic Flu Strategy - https://assets.publishing.service.go.../dh_131040.pdf and so a search and replace for influenza and coronavirus. Also time to review business continuity plans I think (I am lucky, I am a home worker)

Taf 10-02-2020 16:48

According to a virologist statement I have been reading:

"Again, being infected does not mean you will die. Probably not, especially if you are not 40+ man with underlying medical condition!"

I hope she means "person" and that this is not a sexist virus. ;););)

Damien 10-02-2020 17:25

The fact we're all going to die from this really puts the months arguing about Brexit into perspective doesn't it?

Mr K 10-02-2020 19:01

Maybe people might wash their hands now? Apparently a third don't after visiting the loo. Or the numpties that proudly come coughing and sneezing over everyone in an open plan office get sacked? Simple precautions but we seem to struggle with the basics of hygiene.

papa smurf 10-02-2020 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36024599)
Maybe people might wash their hands now? Apparently a third don't after visiting the loo. Or the numpties that proudly come coughing and sneezing over everyone in an open plan office get sacked? Simple precautions but we seem to struggle with the basics of hygiene.

If you're worried about cleanliness read this.
https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/lat...bergs-21451197

TheDaddy 11-02-2020 04:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 36024570)
And whilst I don't have the exact figures to hand, I believe it to be something like 95% of deaths are not directly attributable to this strain of virus, it's due to complications of pre existing medical conditions.

If that 95% is correct that would lead to a 45 deaths from 40,573 confirmed cases that would give a mortality rate of 0.110% not lmuch different to nfluenza

Wouldn't it be more accurate to correlate the deaths to the number of confirmed victims when they became ill rather than when they died otherwise you're skewing the figures massively. You've also got to factor in that China might not be admitting how bad it is, I've heard a nasty story about people over 60 not being treated and therefore not being included in the figures

Maggy 11-02-2020 09:04

Let's listen to the WHO please and use caution but not become like Chicken Little running around shouting the sky is falling.

Hugh 11-02-2020 14:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy (Post 36024618)
Let's listen to the WHO please and use caution but not become like Chicken Little running around shouting the sky is falling.

WHO map of cases

http://who.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsd...f977d77e4a0667

Mick 11-02-2020 19:11

BREAKING: Coronavirus Total Deaths surpasses 1,000 & UK Prison inmate currently being tested for Coronavirus, recently transferred from Thailand.

• On Tuesday, 109 people died in mainland China in one day, topping 100 for the first time and bringing the total to 1,016
  • There were 2,478 new confirmed cases on the mainland, taking the total to 42,638
  • Around the world 462 cases are confirmed in 27 countries, with a death in Hong Kong and one in the Philippines
  • As of 2pm on Tuesday, the UK had tested 1,358 people - 244 more than Monday - with eight positive
  • The Westerdam cruise ship, where no coronavirus cases have been confirmed, was turned away from Thailand on Tuesday after the Philippines and Japan refused to let it dock
  • Bank of England governor Mark Carney said that the virus was "from an economic perspective, already bigger than SARS"
  • Postal operators in the US, China and elsewhere have said the suspension of flights is having a major impact on global flows of letters and parcels

https://news.sky.com/story/two-uk-pr...virus-11931564

Damien 11-02-2020 19:47

I think the rational and sensible thing to do now is panic. I for one have purchased a year's worth of anti-bacterial hand gel and will start eating a bottle a day of it.

Taf 11-02-2020 20:03

Perhaps a good time to put off ordering stuff from China on Ebay? Delivery times might be a little erratic.

pip08456 11-02-2020 21:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36024655)
BREAKING: Coronavirus Total Deaths surpasses 1,000 & UK Prison inmate currently being tested for Coronavirus, recently transferred from Thailand.

• On Tuesday, 109 people died in mainland China in one day, topping 100 for the first time and bringing the total to 1,016
  • There were 2,478 new confirmed cases on the mainland, taking the total to 42,638
  • Around the world 462 cases are confirmed in 27 countries, with a death in Hong Kong and one in the Philippines
  • As of 2pm on Tuesday, the UK had tested 1,358 people - 244 more than Monday - with eight positive
  • The Westerdam cruise ship, where no coronavirus cases have been confirmed, was turned away from Thailand on Tuesday after the Philippines and Japan refused to let it dock
  • Bank of England governor Mark Carney said that the virus was "from an economic perspective, already bigger than SARS"
  • Postal operators in the US, China and elsewhere have said the suspension of flights is having a major impact on global flows of letters and parcels

https://news.sky.com/story/two-uk-pr...virus-11931564

Perhaps this will add a bit of perspective.

Quote:

So far, 10,000 people have died and 180,000 people have been hospitalized during the 2019-2020 flu season, according to preliminary estimates from the CDC.
https://abcnews.go.com/Health/1300-p...ry?id=67754182

nomadking 11-02-2020 22:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36024663)
Perhaps this will add a bit of perspective.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/1300-p...ry?id=67754182

Didn't realise the the problem was done and dusted and that there are not going to be any more cases.:rolleyes:
Link

Quote:

Coronavirus 'could infect 60% of global population if unchecked'
The coronavirus epidemic could spread to about two-thirds of the world’s population if it cannot be controlled, according to Hong Kong’s leading public health epidemiologist.
Most experts thought that each person infected would go on to transmit the virus to about 2.5 other people. That gave an “attack rate” of 60-80%.
Even if the general fatality rate is as low as 1%, which Leung thinks is possible once milder cases are taken into account, the death toll would be massive
0.6-0.8% of the World population isn't a small number. That's only around 46 million deaths.:shocked:

TheDaddy 12-02-2020 03:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy (Post 36024618)

WHO called this virus public enemy number one earlier, bloody fearmongers...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36024659)
I think the rational and sensible thing to do now is panic. I for one have purchased a year's worth of anti-bacterial hand gel and will start eating a bottle a day of it.

Possibly the sanist most logical post I've ever read, the only thing that bothers me is one bottle a day won't be enough to save you

---------- Post added at 03:17 ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36024670)
Didn't realise the the problem was done and dusted and that there are not going to be any more cases.:rolleyes:
Link

0.6-0.8% of the World population isn't a small number. That's only around 46 million deaths.:shocked:

I hope I'm wrong but I fear in two weeks the death toll will have shot up, a lot

Paul 12-02-2020 03:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36024670)

Also rather meaningless since the entire world population isnt going to catch it.

JFYI, around 150,000 of the worlds population dies every day anyway, regardless of this virus.

Hugh 12-02-2020 09:07

Quote:

Don’t forget to keep the bottles and transform them into a hazmat suit.

heero_yuy 12-02-2020 09:27

Quote:

Quote from ITV News: A healthcare worker at Worthing Hospital is among the eight confirmed cases of coronavirus in the UK.

Staff at the West Sussex hospital received a memo on Tuesday telling them a member of staff working in the A&E department had been diagnosed with the disease.

A spokesperson for the Department of Health said that all services at the hospital, including surgery and out patients, are operating normally.

It is understood the healthcare worker at Worthing Hospital is not the same person as the locum doctor working in Brighton, who is also one of the eight cases.
:Yikes: Plague's in town. The hospital is less than a mile away from us.

denphone 12-02-2020 09:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 36024687)
:Yikes: Plague's in town. The hospital is less than a mile away from us.

You want to watch out for the red cross on the door for that.

nomadking 12-02-2020 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36024680)
Also rather meaningless since the entire world population isnt going to catch it.

JFYI, around 150,000 of the worlds population dies every day anyway, regardless of this virus.

That's based upon 60% catching it and 1% of those dying. That is what the experts are saying.

pip08456 12-02-2020 16:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36024708)
That's based upon 60% catching it and 1% of those dying. That is what the experts are saying.

We all know what we think of experts.

Mr K 12-02-2020 18:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36024718)
We all know what we think of experts.

Yeah, bleeding scientists, they and their evidence know nothing. Bloke down the pub knows better. They'll be telling us the climate is changing next.... Its all political correctness gone mad I should think.

papa smurf 12-02-2020 18:58

First case of coronavirus confirmed in London

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/12...tive-china-who

heero_yuy 12-02-2020 19:05

downquark1 13-02-2020 11:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36024723)
Yeah, bleeding scientists, they and their evidence know nothing. Bloke down the pub knows better. They'll be telling us the climate is changing next.... Its all political correctness gone mad I should think.

Some depressing science stuff I've put in spoiler.
Spoiler: 

Exponentials (which is how epidemics work) are very difficult to project without perfect data and modelling because slight errors quickly become huge differences. As such, predictions on total deaths are probably going to be way off. The current death-rate is probably between 0.5% and 3% given a paper someone told me about, so the total deaths will be limited to how well you contain it.

papa smurf 15-02-2020 16:13

Coronavirus bombshell: ‘REAL cause’ of outbreak claim - Chinese scientists break cover

CORONAVIRUS spread from a science laboratory in Wuhan and not a ‘wet market', a group of Chinese scientists have sensationally claimed.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...rket-bioweapon

“We noted two laboratories conducting research on bat coronavirus in Wuhan, one of which was only 280 metres from the seafood market.

Taf 15-02-2020 16:46

Quote:

Wash your hands all you like. The virus can enter by the eyes and be picked up from your own clothes.

So goggles, mask and naked then rubbing the gel all over? ;)

Hom3r 15-02-2020 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36024563)
I have noticed that the price of face masks has gone from dirt cheap to quite expensive, i'm not saying they will do any good just noticing the price.

the DIY facemasks are useful as a chocolate teapot.

Plus we are quite safe in the UK.

The biggest problem is they report the deaths, but not the people who have fully recovered.

I think I hear on the radio that only 0.0002% have actually died.

downquark1 16-02-2020 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36024900)
the DIY facemasks are useful as a chocolate teapot.

Plus we are quite safe in the UK.

The biggest problem is they report the deaths, but not the people who have fully recovered.

I think I hear on the radio that only 0.0002% have actually died.

Nope. the numbers from Friday

Quote:

- 66,887 cases worldwide (but mostly China)
- 10,109 suspected cases
- 1,523 fatalities
- 10,757 in serious/critical condition
- 7,720 recovered
0.0002% equates to 10% of one person dead.

Mr K 16-02-2020 15:30

There's some very dodgy maths going on in this thread...

Paul 17-02-2020 15:24

Using those figures ;

If you ignore the "suspected" cases then The fatality rate is 2.2%.
The infection rate (using a world population of 7.7 Billion) is 0.0000087%.
If you include the suspected, the fatality rate is 2.0%, the infection rate is still only 0.00001%.

Hugh 17-02-2020 17:22

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36025082)
Using those figures ;

If you ignore the "suspected" cases then The fatality rate is 2.2%.
The infection rate (using a world population of 7.7 Billion) is 0.0000087%.
If you include the suspected, the fatality rate is 2.0%, the infection rate is still only 0.00001%.

Fatality rates are calculated based on those who have died having caught the disease, not on the general population.

Paul 17-02-2020 18:29

Not really sure what your point is :confused:
The fatality rates above are calculated as you just said.

Mr K 18-02-2020 09:29

Cruise holidays seem to be advertising everywhere atm. I think they must have some 'availability'.

downquark1 26-02-2020 08:26

OK, now is the time to prepare.

Stop unnecessary travel
Make sure you have enough tinned food and medicine for 2 weeks, remember tin opener.
You probably won't be able to get a decent facemask. I've been trying for weeks. Looks like they don't help much anyway.
If your water supply is suspect make sure you have extra water.

If you suspect you have the virus don't go to the hospital, call the NHS number.

Carth 26-02-2020 09:00

Not wishing to downplay things, but the media are really going a little hysterical on this one.

In perspective:
SARS virus . . 4 people in the UK were infected, no deaths.
Bird Flu . . no reported infections or deaths
Influenza (sometimes called winter flu) . . an average of 600 UK deaths per year

It's winter, people catch colds & flu, probably more likely if recently returning from warmer/dryer climates.

If you're in the group of 'vulnerable' people, you should already be taking precautions against flu anyway.

just saying like . . .

jonbxx 26-02-2020 09:00

Slowly but surely, more direct impacts are being felt in this household...

The kids school sent out a letter this morning about COVID-19, hoping to reassure parents. Most of it looks like boilerplate text from Public Health England. One small wrinkle is that there was a ski trip to Italy last week but it was noted that the kids including my eldest were 200 miles away from the closest case.

I have warned my daughter that she might get some gip from other kids about her trip but she's cool with that. Funnily enough, it seems that the venn diagram of kids chatting most about COVID-19 and refuse to get vaccinations is pretty much a circle!

At work, our list of 'essential travel only' countries seem to be growing daily and our Business Continuity Management systems have opened up a sleepy eye...

nomadking 26-02-2020 09:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonbxx (Post 36025704)
Slowly but surely, more direct impacts are being felt in this household...

The kids school sent out a letter this morning about COVID-19, hoping to reassure parents. Most of it looks like boilerplate text from Public Health England. One small wrinkle is that there was a ski trip to Italy last week but it was noted that the kids including my eldest were 200 miles away from the closest case.

I have warned my daughter that she might get some gip from other kids about her trip but she's cool with that. Funnily enough, it seems that the venn diagram of kids chatting most about COVID-19 and refuse to get vaccinations is pretty much a circle!

At work, our list of 'essential travel only' countries seem to be growing daily and our Business Continuity Management systems have opened up a sleepy eye...

But did those people who were 200 miles away, remain 200 miles away? People move around or have contact with others who move around. How else do you think something spreads?

Hugh 26-02-2020 09:12

I think the difference in the actions/reactions between this and flu is that flu (in all its variants) is a known disease, whilst we are still in the early days of finding out what COVID-19 does.

There would be outrage if COVID-19 suddenly started spreading faster, with more fatalities, because the authorities weren’t taking "appropriate measures" - they’re damned if they do, and damned if they don’t.

papa smurf 26-02-2020 10:06

WARNING SIGNS Coronavirus – Iran’s deputy health minister looks sick while downplaying crisis just hours before HE tests positive

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/110392...ests-positive/

jonbxx 26-02-2020 10:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36025705)
But did those people who were 200 miles away, remain 200 miles away? People move around or have contact with others who move around. How else do you think something spreads?

Well, if any cases come up where she was, I would be more concerned but as it stands, I think we're good. 200 miles is the distance from my house in Hertfordshire to Liverpool and I wouldn't worry about cases there

nomadking 26-02-2020 10:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonbxx (Post 36025710)
Well, if any cases come up where she was, I would be more concerned but as it stands, I think we're good. 200 miles is the distance from my house in Hertfordshire to Liverpool and I wouldn't worry about cases there

Since the incubation seems to be assumed to be around 2 weeks, there is no guarantee of anything. Just think of the potential network of contacts that can be made in the space of a week. How do you think it "escaped" from China?
School holidays tend to slow up any spread of flu type diseases, therefore returning to school is when the process ramps up again.

jonbxx 26-02-2020 11:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36025712)
Since the incubation seems to be assumed to be around 2 weeks, there is no guarantee of anything. Just think of the potential network of contacts that can be made in the space of a week. How do you think it "escaped" from China?
School holidays tend to slow up any spread of flu type diseases, therefore returning to school is when the process ramps up again.

I am sure the 24 hour coach trip back from Italy wouldn't have helped either!

I'm going on the advice from Public Health England which advised the risk as low (the school checked this one pretty sharpish!)

nomadking 26-02-2020 12:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonbxx (Post 36025714)
I am sure the 24 hour coach trip back from Italy wouldn't have helped either!

I'm going on the advice from Public Health England which advised the risk as low (the school checked this one pretty sharpish!)

Link

Quote:

It comes as more schools closed or sent staff and pupils home following trips to Italy, which has over 300 cases.

jonbxx 26-02-2020 15:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36025716)

This is the specific government advice;

Quote:

If you have travelled from:
  • Iran
  • specific lockdown areas in northern Italy as designated by the Government of Italy
  • ‘special care zones’ in South Korea as designated by the Government of the Republic of South Korea
  • Hubei province (returned in the past 14 days
)

You should immediately:

stay indoors and avoid contact with other people as you would with the flu
call NHS 111 to inform them of your recent travel to the area
In Scotland phone your GP or NHS 24 on 111 out of hours. If you are in Northern Ireland, call 0300 200 7885.

Please follow this advice even if you do not have symptoms of the virus.

Lockdown areas in northern Italy:

in Lombardy: Codogno, Castiglione d’Adda, Casalpusterlengo, Fombio, Maleo, Somaglia, Bertonico, Terranova dei Passerini, Castelgerundo and San Fiorano
in Veneto: Vo’ Euganeo
Special care zones in South Korea:

Daegu
Cheongdo
Link

For my daughter, the advice is only to isolate if there are symptoms (cough, shortness of breath, fever, etc.) My work travel safety team are saying the same things and they are usually super paranoid

Chris 26-02-2020 16:13

Problem is, people generally don’t “self isolate as you would with the flu” ... or a bad cold for that matter. Pressures from employers and years of advertising by the likes of Lemsip positively encourage people to carry on as normal unless their stage of illness is so bad they physically can’t get out of bed. And with covid, 4 out of 5 infections produce symptoms that are no worse than a middling cold and far less severe than flu. It is going to take a herculaenean effort to keep this thing from going full pandemic, especially with the BBC giving airtime to boomers marooned in long-haul destinations, insisting everybody is overreacting and demanding that the FCO gives them a free ride home.

Hom3r 26-02-2020 18:05

A school in my town was closed as teacher had been in Italy over the 1/2 term break. the schools is now having a deep clean.

My newphew is due to go skiing with the school in Northern Italy on the 4th of April, the school has told my sister they'll change resort ot country.

Mr K 26-02-2020 20:50

I'm in Rome, a bit scary with loads of tourists kidding themselves in masks... Been hand washing a lot, far more effective. This area isn't really affected as yet. Hasn't spoilt my holiday, if anything the queues for the tourist hotspots have been less, so that's a bonus. The genie is out of the bottle with this so nowhere will be more safe than anywhere else. Pompeii is a must see if you ever get the chance, amazing and sad all at the same time.

Chris 26-02-2020 22:01

Pompeii is definitely on my bucket list :tu:

papa smurf 27-02-2020 08:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36025748)
Pompeii is definitely on my bucket list :tu:

If you want somewhere that's covered in ash and filth try Scunthorpe ;)

Pierre 27-02-2020 09:13

reports from China, that 14% of people that have had the virus and got over it, have been reinfected.

which suggests it is mutating quickly

:Source Radio 4 news this morning:

Pierre 27-02-2020 11:44

3 Attachment(s)
You may have seen this doing the rounds on Social Media.

Regarding a book written by Dean R Koontz in 1981. Which details a Virius developed in Wuhan, China in 2020, that causes respiratory problems.............

Cue twilight zone music..............

Reminds of the story of the book about an unsinkable ship called the Titan, that strikes an iceberg on it's maiden voyage. Written years before the Titanic sunk.

Paul 27-02-2020 17:07

https://bay.com.mt/coronavirus-in-nu...houldnt-panic/ :)

Chris 27-02-2020 17:30

There are lies, damn lies, and statistics ....

Of course we shouldn’t be panicking and clearing supermarket shelves. But we should be taking the requested precautions to prevent the spread of an infectious virus for which there is neither vaccine nor cure. If it spreads unchecked, a mortality rate of just 2% would eventually kill more than 100 million people worldwide.

Infection and mortality is low so far precisely because of quarantine procedures. Without them, that article’s rather crass comparisons with absolute rates of cancer, diabetes and heart disease deaths would be looking like a very poor joke.

Although the funniest* part of that article is how it offers as reassurance the fact that most people who die of Covid are over 50. I’m guessing “89.7 Bay FM” mostly appeals to kids and millennials.

*Not really funny at all

1andrew1 27-02-2020 22:13

Investors seem concerned. The Dow Jones has recorded its biggest points fall in history.
https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...pread-11944193

(As an aside, I hope Trump is no longer claiming any credit for movements in the Dow Jones! ;))

Damien 28-02-2020 07:30

This does look like it could get pretty bad. The incubation period is so long we could see the numbers in Europe jump from the few to the thousands, tens of thousands, within a week or two. That's if it was lost control and unfortunately this outbreak in Italy seems like it hasn't been contained .

Reports of reinfection are even worse, it'll just keep reinfecting everyone, but those reports are unconfirmed I believe.

tweetiepooh 28-02-2020 14:08

Interesting looks you get walking around with a common cold!

Mick 28-02-2020 14:15

BREAKING: First Brit to die of Coronavirus from cruise ship.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...-dies-11945226

Carth 28-02-2020 16:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36025880)
BREAKING: First Brit to die of Coronavirus from cruise ship.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...-dies-11945226

. . .and that's all it says, a British man has died.

No mention of age or underlying health issues (if any).

papa smurf 01-03-2020 11:00

Now that the over 60s are being advised to avoid public transport and crowded areas what exactly are they supposed to do about getting to work/ shopping etc .

Maggy 01-03-2020 11:32

As we did during all previous disasters and wars and pestilence..Panic! OR we can just keep calm and carry on as normal.

Mick 01-03-2020 15:30

BREAKING: 12 New Coronavirus patients confirmed in UK, largest rise in UK so far, bringing total amount of COVID-19 Cases in Britain to 35.

Quote:

One of the patients, from Essex, has not been abroad and it is not clear where they contracted COVID-19.

Six others had recently travelled to Italy, and two of the patients had been to Iran.

The patients who had recently travelled are from London, West Yorkshire, Greater Manchester and Gloucestershire. Another two are from Hertfordshire.

The case in Greater Manchester is a person who lives in Bury and was infected while in Italy recently, according to Bury Council and Public Health England.
https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...in-uk-11947094

Damien 01-03-2020 15:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy (Post 36026050)
As we did during all previous disasters and wars and pestilence..Panic! OR we can just keep calm and carry on as normal.

We can keep calm but we should make reasonable accommodations to the situation rather than carrying one as normal.

This does seem to be quite bad. It does seem like we're losing control of the spread of the virus. None of us have really lived though this situation and epidemiologists seem to be worrying that this is 'the one' they're always worried about coming. We do need to take it quite seriously.

denphone 01-03-2020 15:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36026047)
Now that the over 60s are being advised to avoid public transport and crowded areas what exactly are they supposed to do about getting to work/ shopping etc .

Only mass transmissions would activate the Civil Contingencies Act where the government can shut down public transport , stop mass gatherings to protect the public and close schools but evidence suggests that those measures are not very effective at stopping the spread of coronavirus.

If the Civil Contingencies Act is activated then it would be for several months at least but at the moment this is unlikely to happen.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...virus-outbreak

Damien 01-03-2020 15:49

The things that worry me are the instances of people getting it without any known contact with someone else like today's case in Essex. They're now pretty sure people can be carriers without having any symptoms and those that will get symptoms can take 2 weeks before they know. It's all a bit of a nightmare situation.

denphone 01-03-2020 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36026067)
The things that worry me are the instances of people getting it without any known contact with someone else like today's case in Essex. They're now pretty sure people can be carriers without having any symptoms and those that will get symptoms can take 2 weeks before they know. It's all a bit of a nightmare situation.

Yeah l heard about someone in Essex who has had no known contact and yet contacted it.

If it does become more widespread in the populace the potential disruption that could ensue will affect many of our everyday lives.

Hom3r 01-03-2020 22:19

1 Attachment(s)
Saw this on facebook, look like it's from a medical book.

Hugh 01-03-2020 22:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36026097)
Saw this on facebook, look like it's from a medical book.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...es/coronavirus
Quote:

Coronaviruses are a type of virus. There are many different kinds, and some cause disease. A newly identified type has caused a recent outbreak of respiratory illness called COVID-19 that started in China.
Quote:

About Coronaviruses

Coronaviruses are common in different animals. Rarely, an animal coronavirus can infect humans.

There are many different kinds of coronaviruses. Some of them can cause colds or other mild respiratory (nose, throat, lung) illnesses.

Other coronaviruses can cause more serious diseases, including severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) and Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS).

Coronaviruses are named for their appearance: Under the microscope, the viruses look like they are covered with pointed structures that surround them like a corona, or crown.

Maggy 02-03-2020 08:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36026065)
We can keep calm but we should make reasonable accommodations to the situation rather than carrying one as normal.

This does seem to be quite bad. It does seem like we're losing control of the spread of the virus. None of us have really lived though this situation and epidemiologists seem to be worrying that this is 'the one' they're always worried about coming. We do need to take it quite seriously.

Certainly we need to take it seriously but not to the point of panic.SENSIBLE precautions but not mass buying everything in sight. For example. Anyone got any hand sanitising gel? Because it's disappeared from the shelves at the 2 pharmacies and the local Co-op and Tesco Extra. Guess I need to buy up all the soap instead. ;)

TheDaddy 02-03-2020 14:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy (Post 36026105)
Certainly we need to take it seriously but not to the point of panic.SENSIBLE precautions but not mass buying everything in sight. For example. Anyone got any hand sanitising gel? Because it's disappeared from the shelves at the 2 pharmacies and the local Co-op and Tesco Extra. Guess I need to buy up all the soap instead. ;)

If you weren't worried before you should be now, the government's idea to combat this is to bring back a load of retired doctors and nurses, the very people most at risk in most cases. Wonder why all the hand sanitiser is sold out, only ones with alcohol in it will kill this virus.

Carth 02-03-2020 14:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36026113)
If you weren't worried before you should be now, the government's idea to combat this is to bring back a load of retired doctors and nurses, the very people most at risk in most cases. Wonder why all the hand sanitiser is sold out, only ones with alcohol in it will kill this virus.

Oh don't be saying things like that . . . all the shelves will be cleared of cheap vodka next :D

denphone 02-03-2020 14:53

Quote:

We were in Sainsbury's earlier today and a lot of the hand sanitiser and gels were sold out even though its only the alcohol ones that will kill the virus.

---------- Post added at 14:53 ---------- Previous post was at 14:46 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36026115)
Oh don't be saying things like that . . . all the shelves will be cleared of cheap vodka next :D

Cheap vodka is that the stuff off the back of a lorry.;)

Carth 02-03-2020 14:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36026117)
Cheap vodka is that the stuff off the back of a lorry.;)

No Den, you're probably thinking of Liverpool shirts and Chanel No 5 :D

denphone 02-03-2020 15:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36026119)
No Den, you're probably thinking of Liverpool shirts and Chanel No 5 :D

Oh l don't know l hear Man United shirts are doing a roaring trade..:D

Hugh 02-03-2020 16:25

Quote:

Make your own... ;)

https://www.syracuse.com/health/2020...e-at-home.html

joglynne 02-03-2020 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36026122)

By some weird coincidence several people bought me bottles of Gin for Christmas. As my tipple of choice is coffee I have considered putting some of the gin into a small atomiser and creating a hand sanitiser which will double up as a throat spay.

Mr K 02-03-2020 17:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36026117)
We were in Sainsbury's earlier today and a lot of the hand sanitiser and gels were sold out even though its only the alcohol ones that will kill the virus.

Soap and water is better anyway.
Quote:

The best option is soap and water. According to a 2019 study by the American Society for Microbiology, using running water and soap to wash your hands is more effective than a dab of gel that you have not quite rubbed in.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...virus-covid-19

Washing hands will be a novelty for a lot of people...

Hugh 02-03-2020 17:30

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by joglynne (Post 36026129)
By some weird coincidence several people bought me bottles of Gin for Christmas. As my tipple of choice is coffee I have considered putting some of the gin into a small atomiser and creating a hand sanitiser which will double up as a throat spay.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...7&d=1583170182

denphone 02-03-2020 17:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36026130)
Soap and water is better anyway.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...virus-covid-19

Washing hands will be a novelty for a lot of people...

We wash our hands all the time as it takes 30 seconds to a minute at the most.

By the way l would say not a lot of people don't wash their hands as thats rather generalising yet again old chap as we all do it in our family for starters.

nomadking 02-03-2020 17:53

The thing about this hand washing is when and where it has to be done. Just doing it at home seems pointless. The idea is to prevent spreading once you've "picked up" the virus when outside. Even by the time you get home might be too late. You will have made contact with something and transferred it to yourself and/or others long before then.

heero_yuy 02-03-2020 18:19

Just think of the vast number of people who eat in fast food joints, baker's cafe's etc who eat with their hands without washing them first.

Unless such places make hand cleaning products readily available the consequences will be dire.

Fortunately we don't eat that sort of crap.

jfman 02-03-2020 20:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 36026143)
Just think of the vast number of people who eat in fast food joints, baker's cafe's etc who eat with their hands without washing them first.

Unless such places make hand cleaning products readily available the consequences will be dire.

Fortunately we don't eat that sort of crap.

Frozen pizza is the way forward.

Mr K 03-03-2020 16:04

Good news, the owners of Corona Beer have lost £132million in sales, so there might be some deals going down at the supermarket :)
https://metro.co.uk/2020/02/27/maker...irus-12312964/

Chris 03-03-2020 16:37

It’s lost profit, not lost sales, and it’s over their entire range, not just Corona beer. Though I’m certain the hack who wrote that report was desperately hoping to dig up a story of such gross public stupidity as thinking they could catch a disease from a product that just happened to have the same name ...

pip08456 03-03-2020 17:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36026228)
It’s lost profit, not lost sales, and it’s over their entire range, not just Corona beer. Though I’m certain the hack who wrote that report was desperately hoping to dig up a story of such gross public stupidity as thinking they could catch a disease from a product that just happened to have the same name ...

I don't know Chris, in China yes but in the US?

"Another case in point: 38% of American beer drinkers surveyed this week said they wouldn't buy Corona "under any circumstances" at the moment. It's worth noting that, among regular Corona drinkers, only 4% said they would now refrain — that raises questions about whether the virus is, in fact, affecting consumer attitudes toward the brand."

Link

Chris 03-03-2020 17:07

Hmmm ... gross public stupidity ... USA ... :D