Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : Changes to Virgin TV (2020) (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33708568)

Media Boy UK 26-12-2019 16:02

Changes to Virgin TV (2020)

This is a continuation of the 'Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)' thread which you can find here:

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...php?t=33707215

1. The old thread has been closed, but will remain for information purposes;
2. I will collate all the information from my various sources and post on Cable Forum;

In addition to that I will be on hand to answer any questions that arise and to provide links to other sources of information as they come up.

Thank you.

CONFIRMED Channels news for Virgin UK and N. Ireland TV:

December 2019:
28th. NOW 70s to launch today on Virgin UK Channel 348.

January 2020:
7th. 5Spike to close today on Virgin UK Channel 154.
7th. Paramount Network will move from Virgin UK Channel 188 to Virgin UK Channel 154.
7th. VH1 to close on Virgin Channel 316.
7th. Sony Movies Christmas will rebrand as Sony Movies Classic on Virgin UK Channel 424.
7th. ZooMoo HD to close on Virgin Channel 739.
21st. Home to be rebrand as HGTV on Virgin Channel 279.
21st. Home +1 to be rebrand as HGTV +1 on Virgin Channel 283.
27th. Universal Channel HD to close on Virgin Channel 121.
27th. Universal Channel to close on Virgin Channel 122.
27th. Universal Channel +1 close on Virgin Channel 206.
31st. Horse and Country TV may close on Virgin Channel 298 (Still not 100% Confirmed).

February 2020:
1st. Sky Comedy HD to launch on Virgin Channel 121.*
1st. Sky Comedy to launch on Virgin Channel 122.*
1st. Sky Comedy +1 to launch on Virgin Channel 206.*

*Both Launch date and channels numbers for Sky Comedy are still not 100% confirmed at time of posting.

©copyright 2019 Media Boy 2006 - 2019. An ''Keep it real and free'' Production.

Chad 26-12-2019 22:31

Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2020)

Let's hope 2020 brings lots of new lineal channels to all TV providers

Aguero9320 26-12-2019 22:53

Could this be a sign of what’s to come in 2020 for VM and Sky alike?

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...treaming-debut

OLD BOY 27-12-2019 08:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 36021219)
Let's hope 2020 brings lots of new lineal channels to all TV providers

I can't see how that will happen, Chad, with the streamers hoovering up more and more content.

jfman 28-12-2019 12:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36021226)
I can't see how that will happen, Chad, with the streamers hoovering up more and more content.

You’d have said the same a year ago, yet here we are with more linear channels than at any point in history.

denphone 28-12-2019 12:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36021383)
You’d have said the same a year ago, yet here we are with more linear channels than at any point in history.

If he takes his rose tinted glasses off he would notice that.;)

jfman 28-12-2019 12:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36021384)
If he takes his rose tinted glasses off he would notice that.;)

A scroll down the BARB audience data has channels being viable with absolutely minuscule viewing figures. Interestingly, the Disney group of channels was a combined 0.2%!

cheekyangus 28-12-2019 14:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36021385)
A scroll down the BARB audience data has channels being viable with absolutely minuscule viewing figures. Interestingly, the Disney group of channels was a combined 0.2%!

The Disney numbers are not that unusual, many well known Pay channels have hardly any. Most of Discovery's Pay channels for example.

BARB for Nov 2019

Disney Channel 0.05
Disney Channel +1 0.03
Disney Junior 0.07
Disney Junior Plus 0.03
Disney XD 0.02
Disney XD +1 0.01

Discovery History 0.03
Discovery History+1 0.01
Discovery Home & Health 0.01
Discovery Home & Health +1 0.01
Discovery Science 0.04
Discovery Science+1 0.01
Discovery Shed 0.01
Discovery Turbo 0.04
Discovery Turbo +1 0.01

jfman 28-12-2019 14:34

Oh I'm not claiming that it's unusual, in fact the opposite that it's absolutely routine.

It's not many £7.99s a month if you ask me.

Dave42 28-12-2019 18:49

well we know we getting the sky UHD hopefully very soon indeed

Taf 28-12-2019 18:57

I probably missed it, but any idea where the content of Universal is moving to (at all) ?

Mad Max 28-12-2019 19:31

Why would anyone sit down to watch linear shows if you have the means to watch the show when you want to watch it, I just don't get why some people are tied to watching something when it's broadcast, the only difference is of course live sport.

cheekyangus 28-12-2019 20:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36021421)
I probably missed it, but any idea where the content of Universal is moving to (at all) ?

New episodes of Law & Order:SVU are already on Sky Witness, Chicago Med is moving there too. I have no idea about the rest.

---------- Post added at 20:16 ---------- Previous post was at 19:48 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36021424)
Why would anyone sit down to watch linear shows if you have the means to watch the show when you want to watch it, I just don't get why some people are tied to watching something when it's broadcast, the only difference is of course live sport.

Though in the most I agree, and I usually don't watch linear live, it sometimes makes little difference. Aside from watching any time you feel like, the other main reason for watching on-demand shows is no advertising breaks.

The problem there is many on-demand services still have adverts and they are unusually unskippable, so at least linear channels you can record them and high speed fast-forward them. On-demand on VM often has ads and there is only one speed to the fast-forward, and sometimes the playback crashes and you have to start again.

So if the on-demand option available has ads, there's one less advantage so live watching. So impatient people will just watch live.

If it were me I'd record the linear broacast, and start watching it once it's recorded enough to skip ads without catching up. I sometimes even do it with live sport, if it's on an ad-channel.

Media Boy UK 28-12-2019 21:16

My TiVo box is reporting that BoXmas (Channel 330) will close on January 8th. The rest of Box Network channel EPG say "To Be Announced".

Raider999 28-12-2019 21:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36021426)
New episodes of Law & Order:SVU are already on Sky Witness, Chicago Med is moving there too. I have no idea about the rest.

Though in the most I agree, and I usually don't watch linear live, it sometimes makes little difference. Aside from watching any time you feel like, the other main reason for watching on-demand shows is no advertising breaks.

The problem there is many on-demand services still have adverts and they are unusually unskippable, so at least linear channels you can record them and high speed fast-forward them. On-demand on VM often has ads and there is only one speed to the fast-forward, and sometimes the playback crashes and you have to start again.

So if the on-demand option available has ads, there's one less advantage so live watching. So impatient people will just watch live.

If it were me I'd record the linear broacast, and start watching it once it's recorded enough to skip ads without catching up. I sometimes even do it with live sport, if it's on an ad-channel.

Exactly what I do most of the time, also means you can skip half-time.

With a recorder (most people have one) who needs streaming?

jfman 29-12-2019 01:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36021439)
Exactly what I do most of the time, also means you can skip half-time.

With a recorder (most people have one) who needs streaming?

Which brings me back to the glorious question what goes streaming bring to the table that a PVR doesn't?

ozsat 29-12-2019 08:06

The biggest difference for me between streaming catchup and using a DVR - is the DVR always allows skipping over the ads.
Also, streaming is still not 100% coverage of recent programmes.

I see those watching live sport on streaming are often complaining that they are receiving notifications or social media updates of score updates - before their live stream has shown it!

OLD BOY 29-12-2019 11:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36021426)

I find it frustrating to watch the ITV Hub, All4 and My5 due to the ads, and that is why the only streaming services we watch are Netflix, Amazon Prime, BBC i-Player, Now TV and Apple+.

All the other programmes we watch are recorded. So therefore, we do not encounter the kind of problems you find with ad-supported streaming.

---------- Post added at 11:39 ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36021451)
Which brings me back to the glorious question what goes streaming bring to the table that a PVR doesn't?

If you watch programmes from a non-ad supported streaming service, there are two advantages over the PVR. Firstly, you have a huge wealth of programmes to choose from, whereas your PVR has limited disk space. Secondly, although you can fast forward through the advertisements with programmes recorded from the commercial channels, you don't even have to do that with SVOD or the i-Player. Just press play and no further interventions are necessary.

The only issue I have with VOD is the fact that programmes can be withdrawn before you have the chance to watch them. This is a particular problem with Now TV.

Raider999 29-12-2019 14:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36021465)
I find it frustrating to watch the ITV Hub, All4 and My5 due to the ads, and that is why the only streaming services we watch are Netflix, Amazon Prime, BBC i-Player, Now TV and Apple+.

All the other programmes we watch are recorded. So therefore, we do not encounter the kind of problems you find with ad-supported streaming.

---------- Post added at 11:39 ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 ----------

If you watch programmes from a non-ad supported streaming service, there are two advantages over the PVR. Firstly, you have a huge wealth of programmes to choose from, whereas your PVR has limited disk space. Secondly, although you can fast forward through the advertisements with programmes recorded from the commercial channels, you don't even have to do that with SVOD or the i-Player. Just press play and no further interventions are necessary.

The only issue I have with VOD is the fact that programmes can be withdrawn before you have the chance to watch them. This is a particular problem with Now TV.

That is a major issue for me too.

Several times I have missed the first 1 or 2 episodes of a series, been asked by friends if I have watched it, downloaded them from IPlayer only to find they have disappeared before I have time to watch them.

On other occasions they have gone from IPlayer before I find out about them.

Really not sure why this happens as when I record them from EPG they stay for ever - who decided on the arbitrary time limit?

OLD BOY 29-12-2019 16:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36021469)
That is a major issue for me too.

Several times I have missed the first 1 or 2 episodes of a series, been asked by friends if I have watched it, downloaded them from IPlayer only to find they have disappeared before I have time to watch them.

On other occasions they have gone from IPlayer before I find out about them.

Really not sure why this happens as when I record them from EPG they stay for ever - who decided on the arbitrary time limit?

The i-Player was really only a catch up service, but latterly they have successfully received permission to keep programmes on there for a year, despite objections from Sky and others.

I am sure this will sort itself out. I believe the plan is for material to stay on the player for the first 12 months and then migrate over to Britbox.

SonicMaster 30-12-2019 12:23

First week of Paramount Network in the new format:

The A-Team
Knight Rider
Airwolf
Street Hawk
Spartacus: Blood and Sand
Arrow
Suits
Police Interceptors
Traffic Cops
Trucking Hell
Bouncers
Car Crash TV
High Alert
Criminals: Caught on Camera
Can't Pay? We'll Take it Away!
Winter Road Rescue
World's Deadliest Weather
World's Toughest Prisons

It's very clearly just 5Spike under a new name.

I don't have anything against the content, as 5Spike has been very successful at appealing to the old Bravo demographic, and Spike is a good brand for that, but there's no way that these shows should be associated with the Paramount brand in the UK.

cheekyangus 30-12-2019 13:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicMaster (Post 36021542)
First week of Paramount Network in the new format:

The A-Team
Knight Rider
Airwolf
Street Hawk
Spartacus: Blood and Sand
Arrow
Suits
Police Interceptors
Traffic Cops
Trucking Hell
Bouncers
Car Crash TV
High Alert
Criminals: Caught on Camera
Can't Pay? We'll Take it Away!
Winter Road Rescue
World's Deadliest Weather
World's Toughest Prisons

It's very clearly just 5Spike under a new name.

I don't have anything against the content, as 5Spike has been very successful at appealing to the old Bravo demographic, and Spike is a good brand for that, but there's no way that these shows should be associated with the Paramount brand in the UK.

The only shows that are transferring from Paramount Network UK on that list are Suits and Arrow.

ScottishSteve 30-12-2019 14:08

The channel 'Box Upfront' on channel 330 looks like it won't be returning after the 'Boxmas' Takeover
From 6am on Wed 8th January it says
This channel is no longer available

Media Boy UK 30-12-2019 15:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottishSteve (Post 36021559)
The channel 'Box Upfront' on channel 330 looks like it won't be returning after the 'Boxmas' Takeover
From 6am on Wed 8th January it says
This channel is no longer available

As reported by me on December 28th (But I did forgot the channel name).
https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...8&postcount=14

trueblood 30-12-2019 16:28

Looking at next year's radio times for the 7th of Jan and some Ch 5 numbers are changing.
Ch 5 HD 105
Ch 5 SD 154
Paramount HD 150
Paramount SD 187
Now this is the radio times so don't know how accurate this may be. ;)

Media Boy UK 30-12-2019 16:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by trueblood (Post 36021572)
Looking at next year's radio times for the 7th of Jan and some Ch 5 numbers are changing.
Ch 5 HD 105
Ch 5 SD 154
Paramount HD 150
Paramount SD 187
Now this is the radio times so don't know how accurate this may be. ;)

What about 5Star and 5USA also Channel 5 +1?

Do you also see anything about Paramount +1?

Also Thanks for information.

So that

Channel 5 HD - 105
Parmount HD - 150
Channel 5 SD - 154
Paramount SD - 187

ozsat 30-12-2019 16:32

In all EPGs - Paramount is moving up to replace 5Spike.

Media Boy UK 30-12-2019 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozsat (Post 36021574)
In all EPGs - Paramount is moving up to replace 5Spike.

But Channel 150 is being use for Channel 5 HD on Virgin Media right now.

Radio Times is reporting that 5Spike Channel number will be use for Channel 5 SD Channel on Virgin Media.

ozsat 30-12-2019 17:03

Seems different places were told different things

ScottishSteve 30-12-2019 17:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36021577)
But Channel 150 is being use for Channel 5 HD on Virgin Media right now.

Radio Times is reporting that 5Spike Channel number will be use for Channel 5 SD Channel on Virgin Media.

Maybe the Channel 5 SD and Paramount SD services will be removed completely just like BBC 1/2 & STV where applicable as it is a single feed service with no regional variants for advertising.

Media Boy UK 30-12-2019 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottishSteve (Post 36021582)
Maybe the Channel 5 SD and Paramount SD services will be removed completely just like BBC 1/2 & STV where applicable as it is a single feed service with no regional variants for advertising.

We are now starting to think that:

-Comedy Central HD will move from Channel 181 to Channel 132.
-MTV HD will move from Channel 183 to Channel 134.

---------- Post added at 19:11 ---------- Previous post was at 18:23 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottishSteve (Post 36021582)

I do not know why Virgin are moving the SD Channel of Channel 5 to Channel 154 for after all Virgin do carry an Channel 5 AD Channel on Virgin Channel 855.

cheekyangus 30-12-2019 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36021585)

I do not know why Virgin are moving the SD Channel of Channel 5 to Channel 154 for after all Virgin do carry an Channel 5 AD Channel on Virgin Channel 855.

I think there are many who don't know the Audio Description versions are there, and others who think the talking is there all the time and don't realise you have to toggle it on so they're basically normal Standard Definition channels.

JMcB 31-12-2019 00:27

Love to see the 2020 thread already.

I'm hoping for some 4k/UHD channels, Disney+ & Apple TV

Legendkiller2k 31-12-2019 13:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMcB (Post 36021623)
Love to see the 2020 thread already.

I'm hoping for some 4k/UHD channels, Disney+ & Apple TV

I'd eat my hat if Apple+ arrived on vms box.

OLD BOY 31-12-2019 14:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36021669)

Why? I know Apple have form, but the first rule of launching a streamer is to get in as many subscritions as possible by getting on as many platforms as possible. Apple + is on the Roku already so it is clearly not being made available exclusively via Apple products.

I expect Apple + to appear on Virgin and BT some time in 2020, and Disney + on Sky, Virgin and BT close to the launch date.

denphone 31-12-2019 15:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36021669)

l wonder if OB will eat his hat like before if Disney+ does not arrive.:naughty::naughty:

heero_yuy 31-12-2019 17:04

I seem to remember a certain nstokes had to eat his underpants a while ago. :D

1andrew1 31-12-2019 17:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36021676)
Why? I know Apple have form, but the first rule of launching a streamer is to get in as many subscritions as possible by getting on as many platforms as possible. Apple + is on the Roku already so it is clearly not being made available exclusively via Apple products.

I expect Apple + to appear on Virgin and BT some time in 2020, and Disney + on Sky, Virgin and BT close to the launch date.

What about Sky Atlantic? Do we all agree that it will not trouble the V6's EPG in 2020?

denphone 31-12-2019 17:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 36021694)
I seem to remember a certain nstokes had to eat his underpants a while ago. :D

Your memory serves you well heero.:D

---------- Post added at 17:16 ---------- Previous post was at 17:14 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36021696)
What about Sky Atlantic? Do we all agree that it will not trouble the V6's EPG in 2020?

Not a chance Andrew although l have noticed the first 2 series of Westworld is airing on the SYFY channel very soon.:D

cheekyangus 31-12-2019 17:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36021697)
Not a chance Andrew although l have noticed the first 2 series of Westworld is airing on the SYFY channel very soon.:D

Is it?

Many thanks denphone. :woot:

Legendkiller2k 31-12-2019 18:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36021696)

VAR says no due to a billionth of a millimetre of hair being offside.

1andrew1 31-12-2019 18:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36021709)
VAR says no due to a billionth of a millimetre of hair being offside.

Obviously a hairy armpit. :D

denphone 31-12-2019 18:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36021706)
Is it?

Many thanks denphone. :woot:

Monday the 6th January 21.00 and 22.00.

Taf 31-12-2019 18:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36021717)

Isn't SYFY one of the channels about to disappear? Along with Discovery. :dunce:

vincerooney 31-12-2019 20:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36021719)
Isn't SYFY one of the channels about to disappear? Along with Discovery. :dunce:

is it? where did that come from?

Also are we definitely getting sky comedy? it seems to have a lot of things from sky atlantic moving over would have thought sky would keep it exclusive.

cheekyangus 31-12-2019 22:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36021717)

Thanks. :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36021728)

Also are we definitely getting sky comedy? it seems to have a lot of things from sky atlantic moving over would have thought sky would keep it exclusive.

I've got the impression the comedies on Sky Atlantic have underperformed for them, people perceive it as a drama channel. I think they are moving some comedies from Sky1 too. The American ones, the British comedies will stay on Sky1.

Given Universal is closing, I can't see VM not getting Sky Comedy.

Frazz 01-01-2020 01:19

Happy new year to you all. Let's hope good things come to virgin media.��

Derekb108 02-01-2020 02:15

Quote:

It would be a good idea to scrap the channel the only thing that was a game of thrones I dont think HBO will happy that it will stay an exclusive to sky for ever it'll soon put it out to syndication to the high bidder!....

vincerooney 02-01-2020 02:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derekb108 (Post 36021798)
It would be a good idea to scrap the channel the only thing that was a game of thrones I dont think HBO will happy that it will stay an exclusive to sky for ever it'll soon put it out to syndication to the high bidder!....

it was a strange policy wasnt it. "ooh we have this exclusive channel no one else does" it led to a lot more piracy for GOT to be honest. plus the advert money for sky was reduced from what ive heard due to the low numbers.

could this be sky saying "oh look we're still not giving you sky atlantic!! you didnt win!!! but have this channel which a lot of the programmes are now on.........."

Ultimate.Conj 02-01-2020 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36021424)

100% agree mate.

---------- Post added at 13:49 ---------- Previous post was at 13:49 ----------

Happy New Year everyone

Taf 02-01-2020 18:55

Quote:

I got Universal mixed up with Discovery. Sorry.

As for SYFY... I hope Sky decides to keep it...

Quote:

Sky has largely taken operational control of NBCU’s UK channels (e.g. Universal TV, Syfy UK etc.) and thus you can find many related TV shows on Sky’s own channels, such as Sky Witness, although this in turn means that Universal is ceasing on other platforms.
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...ext-month.html

Derekb108 02-01-2020 20:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36021799)
it was a strange policy wasnt it. "ooh we have this exclusive channel no one else does" it led to a lot more piracy for GOT to be honest. plus the advert money for sky was reduced from what ive heard due to the low numbers.

could this be sky saying "oh look we're still not giving you sky atlantic!! you didnt win!!! but have this channel which a lot of the programmes are now on.........."

Its definitely a strange policy, GOT was the most pirated program ever, who knows what Got revenue they would have got for being on channel 4 or even Sky 1...

cheekyangus 02-01-2020 21:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derekb108 (Post 36021848)
Its definitely a strange policy, GOT was the most pirated program ever, who knows what Got revenue they would have got for being on channel 4 or even Sky 1...

They did show Season 1 of GoT on Sky1 as a rerun just before Season 2. That's how I first saw the show. Then I watched via LoveFilm rentals for several seasons.

Ultimate.Conj 03-01-2020 08:40

I'm looking forward to the Sky UHD content to kick in.
Does anyone know when the deal is due to start?

denphone 03-01-2020 09:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj (Post 36021870)

If anybody knows MB knows.

cheekyangus 03-01-2020 09:24

According to JJ20X on Forumbox, MTV Classic and La Liga TV are showing on the network. Given their locations on the network he thinks they are in testing.
https://www.forumbox.co.uk/forum/thr...0843#post80843

Maggy 03-01-2020 09:31

In regards to Sky Atlantic I expect nothing and nothing is what we get.

muppetman11 03-01-2020 11:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derekb108 (Post 36021848)

HBO must be very happy with their arrangement with Sky as they've recently extended the deal.

nialli 03-01-2020 14:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36021884)
HBO must be very happy with their arrangement with Sky as they've recently extended the deal.

Sky announced an extension of its "multi-year programming partnership" with HBO in October 2019, "meaning Sky and NOW TV customers will be able to enjoy award-winning content from HBO and Warner Bros. ... for many years to come," according to the Sky press release.

muppetman11 03-01-2020 14:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by nialli (Post 36021915)
Sky announced an extension of its "multi-year programming partnership" with HBO in October 2019, "meaning Sky and NOW TV customers will be able to enjoy award-winning content from HBO and Warner Bros. ... for many years to come," according to the Sky press release.

I know isn't that what I said.

Ultimate.Conj 03-01-2020 16:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36021917)
I know isn't that what I said.

I think Sky signed an extension to their deal with HBO :D:D

Media Boy UK 03-01-2020 16:50

TV Times is reporting the following channel numbers that are not right:

141. 5USA (Channel 4 HD is broadcasting on that channel right now outside London)
141. 5USA HD (Channel 4 HD is broadcasting on that channel right now outside London)
711. CITV HD (CITV do not have an HD Channel)

---------- Post added at 16:46 ---------- Previous post was at 16:40 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36021875)
According to JJ20X on Forumbox, MTV Classic and La Liga TV are showing on the network. Given their locations on the network he thinks they are in testing.
https://www.forumbox.co.uk/forum/thr...0843#post80843

Look like Virgin Media are launching both MTV Classic and La Liga TV on old VH1* and ZooMoo HD* slots.

*Both channels are set to close on January 7th.

I think MTV Classic will be given Channel 317.
I think La Liga TV will be given Channel 550 or 555. (I am 80% going with channel 550)

---------- Post added at 16:50 ---------- Previous post was at 16:46 ----------

Quote:

No idea.

But Sky Comedy IS coming to Virgin Media.

https://mediaboyblog.blogspot.com/20...es-virgin.html

vincerooney 03-01-2020 18:46

excellent news about sky comedy. Lets hope it launches at the same time rather than a typical sky exclusive for 6 months or some other daft idea.

Media Boy UK 03-01-2020 18:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36021931)
excellent news about sky comedy. Lets hope it launches at the same time rather than a typical sky exclusive for 6 months or some other daft idea.

Well Sky Crime DID launch on the same day as Sky.

Sky Comedy will appear on Universal TV Channels numbers (Unless Sky ask Virgin to move the Sky Basic channels numbers again.)

Media Boy UK 04-01-2020 01:04

Sky on Twitter has confirmed that Sky Comedy is set to launch in the UK on January 27th 2020.

https://twitter.com/SkyHelpTeam/stat...01905553100800

Raider999 04-01-2020 22:31

Quote:

I had a conversation with a sky retentions person a couple of days ago - she said sky are actively trying to get enough UHD program content to warrant having dedicated channels.

vincerooney 05-01-2020 00:52

Apparently friends is going to be shown on sky comedy.....have we gone full circle? i thought it was on comedy central after E4? Its ended up back on sky again from like 20 years ago?

cheekyangus 05-01-2020 10:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36022013)
Apparently friends is going to be shown on sky comedy.....have we gone full circle? i thought it was on comedy central after E4? Its ended up back on sky again from like 20 years ago?

Channel 5 have been showing it lately too. Though they have same ownership as Comedy Central.

Horizon 05-01-2020 11:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36022013)

This is probably due to the recent deal between Sky and AT&T/Warners.

Friends will air on HBOMax in the States from May, but as a result of the deal, Sky gets first access rights to all HBO stuff as far as we're concerned in the UK, so that must be why Friends will be on Sky Comedy.

Ultimate.Conj 06-01-2020 12:55

Is there a list of programmes for Sky Comedy, or will it be The Simpsons 24/7 lol

cheekyangus 06-01-2020 13:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj (Post 36022135)
Is there a list of programmes for Sky Comedy, or will it be The Simpsons 24/7 lol

Not seen anything since the initial press release. I'd be surprised if The Simpsons is on Sky Comedy.

A quick search brings up this list on the Wikipedia page.

Mrs. Fletcher
The Righteous Gemstones
A.P. Bio
Sunnyside
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Ballers
Barry
Kidding
The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
Last Week Tonight with John Oliver
Saturday Night Live
Will & Grace
Parks and Recreation
Entourage
Eastbound & Down
Veep
30 Rock
Miracle Workers
Sex & The City
The Office
Everybody Hates Chris
Run

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_Comedy

As it's Wikipedia, and anyone can add to the page, I'd take that list with a pinch of salt. Though The Righteous Gemstones was mentioned in the Press Release.

ScottishSteve 06-01-2020 13:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36022136)
Not seen anything since the initial press release. I'd be surprised if The Simpsons is on Sky Comedy.

A quick search brings up this list on the Wikipedia page.

Mrs. Fletcher
The Righteous Gemstones
A.P. Bio
Sunnyside
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Ballers
Barry
Kidding
The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
Last Week Tonight with John Oliver
Saturday Night Live
Will & Grace
Parks and Recreation
Entourage
Eastbound & Down
Veep
30 Rock
Miracle Workers
Sex & The City
The Office
Everybody Hates Chris
Run

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_Comedy

As it's Wikipedia, and anyone can add to the page, I'd take that list with a pinch of salt. Though The Righteous Gemstones was mentioned in the Press Release.

I seen an advert for Sky Comedy on Sky News last night and quite a few of those were in the ad so it will probably be right enough, up until now 'Last Week Tonight with John Oliver' & 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' among others have been Sky Atlantic exclusives.

Nice to see them spreading over more channels (and ones we can get)

SonicMaster 06-01-2020 18:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36021924)
TV Times is reporting the following channel numbers that are not right:

141. 5USA (Channel 4 HD is broadcasting on that channel right now outside London)
141. 5USA HD (Channel 4 HD is broadcasting on that channel right now outside London)
711. CITV HD (CITV do not have an HD Channel)

---------- Post added at 16:46 ---------- Previous post was at 16:40 ----------

Look like Virgin Media are launching both MTV Classic and La Liga TV on old VH1* and ZooMoo HD* slots.

*Both channels are set to close on January 7th.

I think MTV Classic will be given Channel 317.
I think La Liga TV will be given Channel 550 or 555. (I am 80% going with channel 550)

---------- Post added at 16:50 ---------- Previous post was at 16:46 ----------

No idea.

But Sky Comedy IS coming to Virgin Media.

https://mediaboyblog.blogspot.com/20...es-virgin.html

5USA HD doesn't currently exist... are Viacom finally launching an HD stream for 5USA?

vincerooney 06-01-2020 23:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottishSteve (Post 36022138)
I seen an advert for Sky Comedy on Sky News last night and quite a few of those were in the ad so it will probably be right enough, up until now 'Last Week Tonight with John Oliver' & 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' among others have been Sky Atlantic exclusives.

Nice to see them spreading over more channels (and ones we can get)

Its excellent. curb and last week tonight were all i was interested from atlantic. fingers crossed it does launch...

ScottishSteve 07-01-2020 00:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36022202)
Its excellent. curb and last week tonight were all i was interested from atlantic. fingers crossed it does launch...

It’s definitely coming as it replaces Universal Channel

On another note I notice VH-1 Xmas has been reverted back to MTV Rocks and the V6 EPG logo is a lot bigger which is sensible.

Maybe the rest of the MTV channels will follow suit.

cheekyangus 07-01-2020 00:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottishSteve (Post 36022203)

On another note I notice VH-1 Xmas has been reverted back to MTV Rocks and the V6 EPG logo is a lot bigger which is sensible.

Several of the UKTV logos got bigger a few weeks, maybe a month ago, I forget exactly. I mentioned it on here somewhere.

ScottishSteve 07-01-2020 00:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36022204)
Several of the UKTV logos got bigger a few weeks, maybe a month ago, I forget exactly. I mentioned it on here somewhere.

Yes it looks a lot better

The changes have happened

5HD is on 105
Paramount HD on 150

5Spike has gone already

---------- Post added at 00:47 ---------- Previous post was at 00:29 ----------

VH1 now gone EPG now says MTV Classic with the bigger V6 EPG Logo the channel has just commenced at 00:50

I’m quite surprised that Channel 5 and Paramount SD are still there

nialli 07-01-2020 09:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottishSteve (Post 36022203)

Wikipedia even gives Sky Comedy channel numbers for Virgin:
Channel 121 (HD)
Channel 122 (SD)
Channel 206 (+1)

cheekyangus 07-01-2020 09:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottishSteve (Post 36022205)
Yes it looks a lot better

The changes have happened

5HD is on 105
Paramount HD on 150

5Spike has gone already

---------- Post added at 00:47 ---------- Previous post was at 00:29 ----------

VH1 now gone EPG now says MTV Classic with the bigger V6 EPG Logo the channel has just commenced at 00:50

I’m quite surprised that Channel 5 and Paramount SD are still there

There have been even more changes to Viacom channel numbers.
Comedy Central HD is now 132
MTV HD is now 134
Comedy Central SD is now 181
MTV SD is now 183

And as you say, still present, Channel 5 SD is 154 and Paramount SD is 187.

---------- Post added at 09:32 ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 ----------

Additional. I forgot to say the HD versions of Comedy Central and MTV have NOT changed packages, so the guide order for some customers reads greyed out main channel next to available +1 channel and the SD available version much further down the EPG.

SonicMaster 07-01-2020 12:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36022215)
There have been even more changes to Viacom channel numbers.
Comedy Central HD is now 132
MTV HD is now 134
Comedy Central SD is now 181
MTV SD is now 183

And as you say, still present, Channel 5 SD is 154 and Paramount SD is 187.

---------- Post added at 09:32 ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 ----------

Additional. I forgot to say the HD versions of Comedy Central and MTV have NOT changed packages, so the guide order for some customers reads greyed out main channel next to available +1 channel and the SD available version much further down the EPG.

This is a very poor way to implement an HD swap of sorts. Now the majority of VM customers will have to search for these channels far down the EPG, and the ratings may suffer as a result.

MTV Rocks and MTV Classic have new style logos but all the others have the old style, so it looks very messy on the EPG.

jobbie8 07-01-2020 13:00

An onscreen message says MTV is free until February 7th.

Media Boy UK 07-01-2020 16:41

We have been told today by Media Boy Sources that they have seen information that said Sky are set to rebrand two Sky own channels as "Sky Action" and "Sky Drama".
Our scources are thinking Sky Two will become Sky Drama but are not sure about Sky Action.

Horizon 07-01-2020 17:34

I would look out for a future Sky kids channel too.

vincerooney 07-01-2020 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by nialli (Post 36022213)
Wikipedia even gives Sky Comedy channel numbers for Virgin:
Channel 121 (HD)
Channel 122 (SD)
Channel 206 (+1)

i dont think wikipedia is massively accurate...i once made my own article and it suvived a few days

Raider999 07-01-2020 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicMaster (Post 36022237)
This is a very poor way to implement an HD swap of sorts. Now the majority of VM customers will have to search for these channels far down the EPG, and the ratings may suffer as a result.

MTV Rocks and MTV Classic have new style logos but all the others have the old style, so it looks very messy on the EPG.

If you are looking for HD channels, why not use the HD option to restrict the EPG to HD channels?

RegularCapital 07-01-2020 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 36022257)
I would look out for a future Sky kids channel too.

As Sky/Comcast now owns the non-UKTV Flextech channels, I guess a future Sky Kids channel would be a revived successor to TCC (The Children's Channel). Comcast owns Dreamworks Animation, so there's already a sizable library, plus the content they've already commissioned for their Sky Kids/NOW TV Kids streaming service. In the US, there's also a Universal Kids channel, they also co-owned KidsCo, a children's channel in Continental Europe which has since closed, despite being UK based, it was never available in the UK.

Sky has also signed an agreement with WarnerMedia for their kids content, but it's likely that this will be for VOD only and in the Cartoon Network/Boomerang/Cartoonito sections of the service as well as their respective channels and won't air on a hypothetical channel.

Phunkenstein 07-01-2020 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36022256)
We have been told today by Media Boy Sources that they have seen information that said Sky are set to rebrand two Sky own channels as "Sky Action" and "Sky Drama".
Our scources are thinking Sky Two will become Sky Drama but are not sure about Sky Action.

Curious to see if this comes true.

A lot of Sky 1’s current US output skews towards action so things like H5O, MacGyver, Magnum, SWAT, Seal Team and the Cinemax shows like Jett and Warrior could easily anchor an ‘action’ channel.

Drama seems a little less clear unless they are thinking more bingeable and female skewing content like Gossip Girl or Nashville - or maybe (just to randomly speculate in case do have the rights) some of the HBO Max original dramas which are aimed at younger audiences.

SonicMaster 07-01-2020 22:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36022264)
If you are looking for HD channels, why not use the HD option to restrict the EPG to HD channels?

Erm. I'm not. That's the point.

cheekyangus 08-01-2020 10:01

According to JJ20X on Forumbox the subscription pack codes for MTV HD and Comedy Central HD have both been changed overnight.

MTV HD will currently be available to M/Player, More, Mix, M+ & L/Fun
Comedy Central HD Mix, M+ & L/Fun

The implementation of the changes suggests MTV HD's availability will change at the end of the Free period, just like the SD version. Apparently there's an on-screen message, but it's not showing to me. I normally have the SD version of the channel so maybe not seeing the message is an indication that the HD version will remain to some afterwards.

SonicMaster 08-01-2020 12:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36022296)
According to JJ20X on Forumbox the subscription pack codes for MTV HD and Comedy Central HD have both been changed overnight.

MTV HD will currently be available to M/Player, More, Mix, M+ & L/Fun
Comedy Central HD Mix, M+ & L/Fun

The implementation of the changes suggests MTV HD's availability will change at the end of the Free period, just like the SD version. Apparently there's an on-screen message, but it's not showing to me. I normally have the SD version of the channel so maybe not seeing the message is an indication that the HD version will remain to some afterwards.

Now it makes sense. So looks like Comedy Central HD and MTV HD are joining Mix, M+, L & Fun permanently, plus MTV HD is having a 'free view' on M & Player too.

Media Boy UK 08-01-2020 14:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36022256)

I have been thinking more about that.

I think this will happen:

Sky Two > Sky Drama
SYFY > Sky Action (SYFY broadcasts Action series right now)

Horizon 08-01-2020 14:54

I always liked the sound of Skyfy better.:)

Raider999 08-01-2020 16:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicMaster (Post 36022273)
Erm. I'm not. That's the point.

I did wonder, but it wasn't clear whether you wanted HD or SD channels.

Media Boy UK 08-01-2020 19:19

Local TV Broadcaster "That's TV" rebrand some channels.

RXTV has reveal that "That's TV" has now rebranded some channels.

The following channels has been rebrand:

That's Norfolk > That's TV East
That's TV Swansea Bay > That's TV South Wales

That's TV East and That's TV South Wales can be found on Virgin UK Channel 159 in Norwich and Swansea areas.

https://www.rxtvlog.com/2020/01/that...structure.html

SonicMaster 08-01-2020 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36022328)
I did wonder, but it wasn't clear whether you wanted HD or SD channels.

"Now the majority of VM customers will have to search for these channels far down the EPG" is pretty clear it's about the SD channels which had just been moved. I'm very pleased that the situation has now been resolved.

Media Boy UK 08-01-2020 19:25

Digital Bit Rate is reporting that Virgin Media UK has started to LaLiga TV.

La Liga TV is testing on the following:

CO72:

SID 1304 (Broadcasting nothing)

http://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.ph...&sec=0&lang=en

But SID 1303 is being unuse - An new HD Channel set to launch (Nick Jr. HD?)

cheekyangus 08-01-2020 20:39

The other one JJ20X reported testing on the 3rd. Surprised it took so long to show on DBR.

Media Boy UK 08-01-2020 20:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36022353)
The other one JJ20X reported testing on the 3rd. Surprised it took so long to show on DBR.

I know that JJ20X did report on the 3rd abut La Liga TV but DBR has reveal that La Liga TV is now on CO 72 (Was CO 67) and has been given new SID - SID is now 1304 (Was 2096)

Look like Virgin Media are making room for an unkown HD Channel to launch on SID 1303 on CO 67.

I think DBR can only pick up to ??80 but due to Virgin testing La Liga TV up at 2096 they miss it - I mean DBR also miss MTV Classic testing.

(Note to others - La Liga TV was set to use ZooMoo HD old broadcast slot)

vincerooney 08-01-2020 23:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36022356)
I know that JJ20X did report on the 3rd abut La Liga TV but DBR has reveal that La Liga TV is now on CO 72 (Was CO 67) and has been given new SID - SID is now 1304 (Was 2096)

Look like Virgin Media are making room for an unkown HD Channel to launch on SID 1303 on CO 67.

I think DBR can only pick up to ??80 but due to Virgin testing La Liga TV up at 2096 they miss it - I mean DBR also miss MTV Classic testing.

(Note to others - La Liga TV was set to use ZooMoo HD old broadcast slot)

i assume la liga is free for people with the premier sports subscription?

denphone 09-01-2020 05:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36022366)
i assume la liga is free for people with the premier sports subscription?

You would have thought so.