Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   VOD : Netflix/Streaming Services (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33695779)

denphone 25-03-2020 08:27

Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36028861)
Hayu is just intolerable rubbish to my mind. Hopefully, Virgin will replace it with something much better. Disney+ to top end viewers, perhaps, free of extra charge?

Not a chance of it being free of charge as streaming companies are not charities you know.

OLD BOY 25-03-2020 09:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36028864)
Not a chance of it being free of charge as streaming companies are not charities you know.

If Virgin can do it for Hayu, why not for Disney +? Ok, maybe not free of charge, but they could apply a discount equal to the value of Hayu.

All I'm saying is that it is an option which would counter Sky's hype about 'exclusive integration' which to my mind is of marginal benefit to the viewer.

Hugh 25-03-2020 10:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36028868)
If Virgin can do it for Hayu, why not for Disney +? Ok, maybe not free of charge, but they could apply a discount equal to the value of Hayu.

All I'm saying is that it is an option which would counter Sky's hype about 'exclusive integration' which to my mind is of marginal benefit to the viewer.

Do you mean the service that was included at no extra cost for all new and existing TV XL TiVo customers?

Legendkiller2k 25-03-2020 10:59

Quote:

Hayu is just intolerable rubbish to my mind. Hopefully, Virgin will replace it with something much better. Disney+ to top end viewers, perhaps, free of extra charge?

Ok OB you're getting a bit silly now mate.

OLD BOY 25-03-2020 11:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36028886)
Do you mean the service that was included at no extra cost for all new and existing TV XL TiVo customers?

It was no extra cost to viewers, but clearly, Virgin must have paid Hayu.

---------- Post added at 11:59 ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36028887)
Ok OB you're getting a bit silly now mate.

Why would that be silly? Who is paying Hayu? Presumably Virgin, out of subscription receipts.

Why would you say Virgin would not top up our fees with the same contribution? It would be a good selling point for Virgin, whereas Hayu was of limited value.

denphone 25-03-2020 12:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36028909)

Why would you say Virgin would not top up our fees with the same contribution? It would be a good selling point for Virgin, whereas Hayu was of limited value.

It might have been of limited value to you l suspect it was not of limited value to some women but still one size fits all seems to be your modus operandi.

Hugh 25-03-2020 12:31

Quote:

Why would that be silly? Who is paying Hayu? Presumably Virgin, out of subscription receipts.

Thats an assumption, whilst my statement was a fact. ;)

It still appears you were asking for a credit for something you weren’t paying extra for...

OLD BOY 25-03-2020 13:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36028912)
It might have been of limited value to you l suspect it was not of limited value to some women but still one size fits all seems to be your modus operandi.

It was of limited value to most people, Den. I don't doubt that some women would have liked it. But overall, Hayu is not the most popular of apps.

Even my wife, who likes programming from TLC and Quest Red, gave this a wide berth.

---------- Post added at 13:05 ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36028921)

It still appears you were asking for a credit for something you weren’t paying extra for...

Hugh, you're not getting what I was saying.

Hayu was provided to top end Virgin Media viewers 'at no extra cost'. However, Virgin must have paid Hayu for their streamer, and where the money came from doesn't matter. All I am saying is that if Virgin could do this for Hayu, surely they must be able to do it for Disney+.

They could either provide Disney to VM viewers on the top package for no extra charge, or they could provide it on a subsidised basis. It would pay for itself, surely, with the extra subscribers that would attract.

If Sky can discount Netflix by pairing it with Sky Box Sets and taking money off, so can Virgin come to an arrangement that suits its operation.

RichardCoulter 25-03-2020 13:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36028921)

At the end of the day, customers were paying for it, albeit it wasn't seperately itemised.

It's similar to the same argument that BT Sports isn't free to Full House customers.

OLD BOY 25-03-2020 13:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36028938)
At the end of the day, customers were paying for it, albeit it wasn't seperately itemised.

It's similar to the same argument that BT Sports isn't free to Full House customers.

I don't deny that, Richard, but it was a hidden extra. As I said, it matters not how VM funded it, that money would be better used going towards Disney +.

pip08456 25-03-2020 13:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36028924)

Hugh, you're not getting what I was saying.

Hayu was provided to top end Virgin Media viewers 'at no extra cost'. However, Virgin must have paid Hayu for their streamer, and where the money came from doesn't matter. All I am saying is that if Virgin could do this for Hayu, surely they must be able to do it for Disney+.

They could either provide Disney to VM viewers on the top package for no extra charge, or they could provide it on a subsidised basis. It would pay for itself, surely, with the extra subscribers that would attract.

If Sky can discount Netflix by pairing it with Sky Box Sets and taking money off, so can Virgin come to an arrangement that suits its operation.

That would depend on the agreement in place between SKY and Disney+.

Legendkiller2k 25-03-2020 13:33

Quote:

As far as i'm aware Disney have absolutely no interest in parterning with anyone, however that's not to say that won't change in the future.

1andrew1 25-03-2020 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36028938)

Hayu may have paid VM to get in front of their customers knowing that some of them will stay on and pay separately. However, I suspect that Comcast owning Sky and Hayu means that Hayu will channel any promotional deals towards Sky and not VM in the future.

---------- Post added at 13:45 ---------- Previous post was at 13:42 ----------

Quote:

Maybe they'll give us Sky Atlantic and free beer whilst they're at it. :)

OLD BOY 25-03-2020 13:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36028942)
As far as i'm aware Disney have absolutely no interest in parterning with anyone, however that's not to say that won't change in the future.

I was not suggesting that Disney offers any discount to VM. I was suggesting that VM use the money they were paying Hayu to reduce the cost of Disney + to their top end subscribers.

Or maybe VM might consider bundling all the streamers and offering a discount on that to the value of the Hayu cost. Both Sky and VM are able to offer multiple TV channels at a discount so the same should be happening for a bouquet of streamers. Surely, this would generate more VM subscribers taking the full package, so it would be worth doing this.

---------- Post added at 13:59 ---------- Previous post was at 13:55 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36028945)
Hayu may have paid VM to get in front of their customers knowing that some of them will stay on and pay separately. However, I suspect that Comcast owning Sky and Hayu means that Hayu will channel any promotional deals towards Sky and not VM in the future.

---------- Post added at 13:45 ---------- Previous post was at 13:42 ----------

Maybe they'll give us Sky Atlantic and free beer whilst they're at it. :)

On your first post, that was a hell of a long time for Hayu to be offering a freebie to Virgin Media, so I doubt that was the case. Three months maybe, six at a stretch, but no longer than that.

As for Comcast owning Sky and Hayu, that would certainly make perfect sense.

On the second post, I think the beer is more likely at this time! :D

Or maybe Corona lager...

Mad Max 25-03-2020 17:53

Disney+, big deal....