Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Rising cost of living (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710461)

Hugh 29-03-2023 09:37

Re: Rising cost of living

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysalis (Post 36148916)
Sounds like a sales pitch for government policy.

Rising interest rates by its nature is designed to increase poverty and unemployment, as it has long been believed a poorer population reduces inflation via lower demand for goods. A banker even admitted this not that long ago in an interview in America when pushed hard on it. But even without doing so it is obvious, raising interest rates causes financial misery.

So why is he blaming early retirement? With more people unemployed there is less spending power, which based on the basic principles of inflation will lower inflation, the only reason I can think off is the government asked him to back up their policy.

Early retirement isnt even the main reason for increased job vacancies, the primary cause is the zero asylum and cancellation of freedom of movement policies. Blaming the sick, and people who have retired is a distraction.

What he said was two contradictory things...

Quote:

Mr Bailey said that people taking early retirement are spending savings to maintain their lifestyle, maintaining demand in the economy, at the same time as dropping out of the workforce and reducing the supply of labour.

This combination of a shrinking workforce and higher spending by retirees in turn is driving up prices, forcing the Bank ot raise interest rates more swiftly.

He said: “The rise in economic inactivity is a change to the supply of labour, independent of demand, in particular by older workers.

“If those workers have accumulated enough savings to sustain a desired level of consumption much like the one they had before their early retirement, at least for a while, aggregate demand will not have fallen by as much as aggregate supply.
I'm not a big fan of anecdata, but since we retired, we are spending less (to live within our means), so eating out a lot less, and only dipping into our savings for fixes to the home (replacement side fence, five replacement double glazed panes, etc.). OK, we had four holidays abroad last year, but that was to make up for not having any for two years...

Paul 29-03-2023 13:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonbxx (Post 36148924)
That said, if I could afford to retire now, I would be offski. Work to live, not live to work…

Ditto, I wish I could afford to retire, but inflation has killed any chance of that for quite a while.

Sephiroth 29-03-2023 21:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36148935)
Ditto, I wish I could afford to retire, but inflation has killed any chance of that for quite a while.

[COLOR="blue”]
Nothing will make me retire other than through incapacity. Work keeps the brain going. Plus the dosh, of course.

One or two people on here make my point very well!
[/COLOR]

Chrysalis 30-03-2023 06:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36148927)
What he said was two contradictory things...

I'm not a big fan of anecdata, but since we retired, we are spending less (to live within our means), so eating out a lot less, and only dipping into our savings for fixes to the home (replacement side fence, five replacement double glazed panes, etc.). OK, we had four holidays abroad last year, but that was to make up for not having any for two years...

Thank you for highlighting the quoted bits that explained his reasoning, your own personal experience though is what I would expect from someone with a drop in income.

Hugh 30-03-2023 09:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36148951)
[COLOR="blue”]
Nothing will make me retire other than through incapacity. Work keeps the brain going. Plus the dosh, of course.

One or two people on here make my point very well!
[/COLOR]

Thats a bit harsh on your fellow Wokey CF’er… :nono:

tbf, it might be something in the water in RG12/RG40 that could be causing the seemingly prevalent cognitive impairment… :scratch:

ianch99 30-03-2023 12:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36148963)

tbf, it might be something in the water in RG12/RG40 that could be causing the seemingly prevalent cognitive impairment… :scratch:

No surprises here. It is Woke-ingham after all :D

tweetiepooh 31-03-2023 10:14

On the other side of cost of living rises are the costs faced by producers. They too need to eat and in many cases prices have been artificially kept low by the big purchasers and fixing. Why should farmers, especially in areas like dairy, not be paid properly? I have family in the dairy industry and, for some, if it weren't that they love there stock they just wouldn't do it.

Maggy 31-03-2023 11:36

I've gone back to make and mend just like my mother and father taught me.Which is why I got my old washer,dryer and stove fixed. Pity the fridge freezer didn't oblige.Amazing how long t-shirts can last as well if you take care with them.Same with old woollens.A bit of make and mend goes a long way.

Sephiroth 31-03-2023 12:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36148963)

No surprise that Hugh & Ian jumped onto this one.

Btw, who lives in RG12? Not me. But were you accusing me of some impairment?

Also, nice to see OB back in this section.

Hom3r 03-04-2023 12:18

I'm a full-time carer for my dad and I get a crap £480 a month, I was on Universal Credit where I was expected to search for a job, but I had told my joc coach about my dad being in hospital and when he is released I will be his carer.

He gave me the benifit of the doubt as I was honest with him form day one.

So when my dad got Attendance Allowance (This pays for the food) I was then able to get Carers Allowance, which comes out of UC, plus I get a roughly £150 top up.

But still crap money, when you bare in mind I paid £600 a month in tax.

So no my spur of the moment spends and therefore my Conway Stewart Churchill Fountain Pen is on hold as I cannot justify the £850 cost.

Ms NTL 23-02-2024 18:16

Cheap kebab. Just over £2 a kilo

https://www.cableforum.uk/images/local/2024/02/4.jpg

https://www.parmainternational.co.uk...-10kg-meahbd10

Under £2 per kilo

https://www.cableforum.uk/images/local/2024/02/5.jpg

https://www.parmainternational.co.uk...40lb-meadoub40

I am wondering what type of meat it is, with such price? What animal?

"Parma", prestigious name .....

daveeb 23-02-2024 20:53

Maybe the butcher had given the floor a good sweeping and got creative with a secret mix of herbs and spices.