Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : Analogue Cable Memories (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33706646)

RWCable 04-08-2018 07:19

Re: Analogue Cable Memories

Noooo, digital box -> VCR via RF -> TV via RF. As it was an on-demand film I can see why it would be protected from recording using the Macrovision method. We weren't recording, it's just convenient to have your VCR connected to the digibox and TV so you can record and playback anytime. They probably should have given a warning message though because it freaked me out at the time lol

Btw I remember one morning in 2005/06 when BBC were doing a news report about HDTVs or their testing of HD broadcasts. Momentarily they said "this is what it would look like if we sent HD to your current equipment" and it was pretty much like that lol, but less "natural" looking. I think they also said if you have a computer, your monitor is likely to be HD which amazed me at the time lol, and is true in a sense. I also remember them introducing the famous 3D weather maps we've been staring at for 13 years.

Would it still happen with STB -> VCR over SCART/Component instead of RF?

heero_yuy 04-08-2018 07:47

Quote:

Quote from RWCable:

Noooo, digital box -> VCR via RF -> TV via RF. As it was an on-demand film I can see why it would be protected from recording using the Macrovision method. We weren't recording, it's just convenient to have your VCR connected to the digibox and TV so you can record and playback anytime. They probably should have given a warning message though because it freaked me out at the time lol

Would it still happen with STB -> VCR over SCART/Component instead of RF?
I have a SCART from our VHD box feeding my Sony HDD/DVD recorder and its SCART feeding a modulator. (Works even on standby) Never seen any disruption on the slave sets.

RWCable 04-08-2018 08:04

Analogue cable clips start around 2:50 minutes with an archive clip from the 1970s, then a clip showing someone using a CFT-2100, which were still being used in Milton Keynes in 2011/12. BT (which owned the cabling) refused to upgrade the cabling for Virgin Media's digital services. I believe the analogue service in Milton Keynes was stopped in 2013/14.

If anyone has a General Instrument CFT-2100/CFT-2200 box plug it in and make a video!!! :)

Btw as landlines are still analogue, how much bandwidth are they taking up? I take it there's no special equipment multiplexing the signal from house to street cabinet?

heero_yuy 04-08-2018 09:13

Quote:

Quote from RWCable:

Not sure how to embed on here!

Here's a link to the video I said I'd upload: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6nZIdb8dc8

You need to enter it like this: [youtube]j6nZIdb8dc8[/youtube]

RWCable 04-08-2018 09:34

Done. Cheers! :)

Onramp 04-08-2018 10:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by RWCable (Post 35958104)
If anyone has a General Instrument CFT-2100/CFT-2200 box plug it in and make a video!!! :)

If anyone did happen to maybe have one of those or a similar model, they might not want to own up to that!

RWCable 04-08-2018 10:29

I would!! It's like a lot of old tech, not really much to look at now, but I do appreciate it for what it was at the time. Thinking in terms of how we had 5 terrestrial channels, these things could open up a world of viewing and information, provide primitive near on-demand, be remotely managed, and joined on to a network of similar equipment. The delivery mechanism is basically one wire to your house where all this takes place. What we have today is basically the same, but really refined.

The primitiveness of it interests me because it was really pushing the limits of what you could do with analogue tech, e.g. the multiplexing of dozens of channels, the encryption/scrambling and decoding of such signals etc, and the little digital bits are interesting to me as well.

These boxes basically turned what you had, which was a TV with variable reception quality and limited things to watch into kind of, "windows of the world" and seeing these things work provided a nice insight into the possibilities of technology. That's how I saw it growing up anyways, still fascinates me

spiderplant 04-08-2018 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onramp (Post 35958121)
If anyone did happen to maybe have one of those or a similar model, they might not want to own up to that!

I had several until last year. I'm afraid they went in the skip. Didn't realise anybody cared!

RWCable 04-08-2018 10:43

Probably just me! Did you ever try plugging them in after the switch off? Oh and did anyone work on the analogue switch off?

Onramp 04-08-2018 12:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by RWCable (Post 35958126)
Probably just me! Did you ever try plugging them in after the switch off? Oh and did anyone work on the analogue switch off?

Probably not just you, I'm also quite enthusiastic about this subject. Want to start a cable company? :D (seriously though, I would, but it's not cheap).

RWCable 04-08-2018 12:28

Let's do it. Next cable billionaires.... And we'll have UKTV Gold and Dave. They'll be begging for us

spiderplant 04-08-2018 12:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by RWCable (Post 35958126)

I never even plugged them in before switch off. I've only ever worked on digital.

Ken W 04-08-2018 13:32

Comtel installed my cable with a black I think it was a 4000 box many years ago.

It had a pass thru for analogue TV

Dude111 04-08-2018 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant
I had several until last year. I'm afraid they went in the skip. Didn't realise anybody cared!

Indeed.....I love this thread!!

I didnt realise anyone cared about analogue cable/TV as much as me!!

It was simply beautiful and having stuff recorded from it is goregous :)

OLD BOY 04-08-2018 20:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by RWCable (Post 35958133)
Let's do it. Next cable billionaires.... And we'll have UKTV Gold and Dave. They'll be begging for us

You need to aim higher!