Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Smart meters (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707280)

SnoopZ 25-01-2019 08:20

Re: Smart meters

I had an email from eon a few days ago saying..... we need to change your meters, if you don't want it changed yet please call them.

So as usual the email goes in the bin and I have no intention of wasting my time calling them.

Mr K 25-01-2019 08:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35980730)
I had an email from eon a few days ago saying..... we need to change your meters, if you don't want it changed yet please call them.

So as usual the email goes in the bin and I have no intention of wasting my time calling them.

they're coming for your meters and you know it ! head in the sand not to call if you don't want it happening.

Go for the small companies, they've never bothered me about smart meters, or ever read the meters coming to think about it...

Dude111 29-01-2019 08:04

Yes call them straight away!!!!!!

They will sneak over when you arent home and do it!!!

SnoopZ 29-01-2019 10:05

They're persistent, just had yet another email...... into the bin it goes.

RichardCoulter 29-01-2019 13:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by techguyone (Post 35980297)
Any forcing is because they're supposed to be universal by 2020, perhaps there will be penalty charges for the suppliers who don't meet this impossible target :D

They couldn't fit one to my place when I foolishly applied a few years ago because my mobile signal is non existent and their device couldn't phone home (I use a signal box booster so I get a phone signal) but the installer pointed out, whilst I may have, when I move the next person may not and then their machine won't work so no install, thankfully as I've since changed my view and will stay with a 'thick' as opposed to a 'smart' meter.

Additionally the early adopters have found out or will (and we're talking thousands of installs here) that their lovely smart meter will turn thick if they ever switch supplier :D

Because the things were rolled out before the technology was mature.

SMETS1 is the thing to check for if you have one or want one, this won't be smart come switchover time.
SMETS2 is a newer standard and this will allow a switch and remain smart.

All a bit of a joke really.

I've read that they are working on a new software download to make the first version useable with all suppliers in the same way that version 2 is.

heero_yuy 30-06-2019 17:00

I don't know if it's a software update but both buttons on our smart meter are suddenly now working and I can navigate the menus to get all the readings needed. Consumption is "Import KWh". Button "B" selects the main menu and button "A" rotates through the displays.

The remote display is still a POS and remains discharged and dumped in the cupboard. Utterly useless.

Nobody from the utility company (EDF) has ever got back to me to ask if the smart meter is of any use.

And I still get estimated bills. :mad:

A pointless exercise. :rolleyes:

Taf 30-06-2019 17:40

I am getting fortnightly letters: "We have arranged to have your SMART meter fitted in a week's time. Please call to change the installation date if it is not suitable".

So each time I call and tell them I do not want one.

heero_yuy 30-06-2019 17:46

TBQH Taf you don't want this POS in your house. If you want to monitor your energy use go for a third party piece of kit.

I happen to be working on a project with this kit and I have a prototype installed here so I can see the details of our consumption.

papa smurf 30-06-2019 17:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36000939)
I am getting fortnightly letters: "We have arranged to have your SMART meter fitted in a week's time. Please call to change the installation date if it is not suitable".

So each time I call and tell them I do not want one.

Same here just chuck em in the bin,they have even started texting me [never give them your number] .

Chris 30-06-2019 17:55

I’ve been at the same address for 15 years and never been asked to have one. I tend to use smaller energy providers but even when one went bust and got taken over by the co-op, I stuck with them a couple of years and still wasn’t offered one. Not that I’m complaining. A local charity lent me an energy monitor about 10 years ago (and never asked for it back), so I have long ago established where the wasteful energy use in my house is likely to be, and taken steps to deal with it. I don’t need, or want, an energy readout cluttering up my surfaces and occupying a power socket I can use for something else.

SnoopZ 30-06-2019 17:56

Eon bombarded me with emails, letters and phone calls going back years, i just ignored i won't have a smart meter until i legally have to have one.

I have just changed to Bulb Energy and so far they haven't asked me to get 1 installed luckily!

heero_yuy 30-06-2019 18:13

Quote:

Quote from Chris:

A local charity lent me an energy monitor about 10 years ago (and never asked for it back), so I have long ago established where the wasteful energy use in my house is likely to be, and taken steps to deal with it. I don’t need, or want, an energy readout cluttering up my surfaces and occupying a power socket I can use for something else.
Exactly, if it makes heat then it costs. Not rocket science. My particular interest was whether they were billing you for KVAr or KWHr with the smart meters. There is a difference if you have freezers and fridges.

It's kWhr for anybody who's interested, as was with the old rotating disk wattmeters.

Taf 30-06-2019 19:12

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 36000940)
TBQH Taf you don't want this POS in your house. If you want to monitor your energy use go for a third party piece of kit.

I happen to be working on a project with this kit and I have a prototype installed here so I can see the details of our consumption.

Since getting our own home I have recorded our meter readings every Sunday. Back to 2nd August 1987.

Red = gas
Blue = gas average for the year
Green = electricty
Yellow= electricity average over the year

I wonder if you spot when our twins were born...

SnoopZ 30-06-2019 21:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36000948)
Since getting our own home I have recorded our meter readings every Sunday. Back to 2nd August 1987.

Red = gas
Blue = gas average for the year
Green = electricty
Yellow= electricity average over the year

I wonder if you spot when our twins were born...

Dedicated graph, but every Sunday since 1987, don't you go on vacation? :)

Out of interest who is your provider?

Taf 01-07-2019 10:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36000955)
Dedicated graph, but every Sunday since 1987, don't you go on vacation? :)

Out of interest who is your provider?

Last holiday was in 2005, such is the life of a Carer. And the only thing running was the freezer, so it was a case of dividing the reading by two on return. Accurate enough.

We've been with SWALEC (SSE) for many years, the best deal we can get around here. Sure, some start-ups have offered to save us about £20 a year, but then they required £60 to leave them.

The new government "cap" on bills has actually cost us dearly as discounts were stripped from the tariffs. And now it's fairly impossible to find the cheapest due to the vagaries of the "cap" and it's variabilty.

---------- Post added at 10:43 ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 ----------

Incidentally how do gas SMART meters give an accurate cost display? The formula involves the calorific value which changes often, so do they also receive the latest values over the airwaves?