Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   The Welsh language (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705254)

Taf 10-08-2017 14:20

The Welsh language

Quote:

Is the Welsh language a help or hindrance to the nation?
Quote:

You can go to a Welsh medium school, come out of it and you cannot speak Welsh. What's the point in all of the money? It's nonsense.
Quote:

S4C is down, Radio Cymru is down, the Census of 2011 is down, all of them are down. All this money they're pumping into the language is not making more people speak Welsh.
Quote:

In an ideal world, everyone would just be left to their own devices and pick up Welsh naturally.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-40876802

Maggy 10-08-2017 14:36

Re: "The Welsh language

Touchy subject.However there is a north/south Wales divide over it.

richard s 10-08-2017 21:02

I would love to learn Welsh... it gives Wales and its people that special identity after all I believe it is one of the rare Celtic languages in existance. It is a shame the English Celtic language did not survive due to all the invasions in England's past history.

Mr K 10-08-2017 21:11

The Welsh language is part of a national identity. My mother's first language was Welsh, I'm the only English born and bred in the family. Been visiting Wales for years, the amount of people speaking Welsh keeps increasing.

It's arrogant of English tourists to be offended by Welsh people speaking Welsh in Wales - but they often whinge on. I think we English are jealous because we don't have much of a national identity any longer.

Kursk 11-08-2017 03:10

English is a beautifully expressive language and rightly deserves its international status. Welsh is the poetic language of the indigenous Britons. Both languages are part of our heritage and as such belong to us all.

We are to spend £m's preserving the Houses of Parliament, Buckingham Palace, Stonehenge, Castles, burial sites and monuments; they are important to our history.

We should preserve our languages too for the same reason.

Paul 11-08-2017 04:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35911845)
It's arrogant of English tourists to be offended by Welsh people speaking Welsh in Wales

Despite the fact that we now live in a country where everyone gets offended by everything, Ive never heard of this one.

I have heard of Welsh people speaking English, until some English people appear, then they switch to speaking Welsh.

Of course, that may not be true either. :erm:

denphone 11-08-2017 06:30

Quote:

The Welsh language is part of a national identity. My mother's first language was Welsh, I'm the only English born and bred in the family. Been visiting Wales for years, the amount of people speaking Welsh keeps increasing.

It's arrogant of English tourists to be offended by Welsh people speaking Welsh in Wales - but they often whinge on. I think we English are jealous because we don't have much of a national identity any longer.

Now now Mr K stop generalising me dear.:nono::nono:

---------- Post added at 05:30 ---------- Previous post was at 05:28 ----------

Quote:

More rubbish invented claims yet again.:nono::nono:

Mr K 11-08-2017 10:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35911917)
More rubbish invented claims yet again.:nono::nono:

Just look at the national days Den; St George's Day -does it mean anything to the people of England ? it's barely mentioned. Where as St. Davids, Andrews and Patrick's Day are widely celebrated in their own countries and beyond.

---------- Post added at 09:14 ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35911912)
Despite the fact that we now live in a country where everyone gets offended by everything, Ive never heard of this one.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ist-board.html

Quote:

In many cases, this perception stemmed from use of the Welsh language. Every English focus group which took part in the study had stories about visitors feeling deliberately excluded when locals started talking in Welsh.
What the tourists don't understand is that people genuinely speak Welsh in Wales. It's been compulsory in Welsh schools for over 25 years now and use of the language has become more widespread.

Kursk 11-08-2017 11:36

Re: The Welsh language

I wonder if people feel excluded by Germans who speak German in Germany or Spaniards who speak.......well, you get the idea.

tweetiepooh 11-08-2017 13:20

I learnt some of the language of heaven when I was at uni in Wales (Neuadd Pantycelyn, Aberystwyth) but that was many moons ago and since I've not used it, I've lost most of it. Some students there Welsh was definitely their first language and some struggled in English. Many went to Aber and stayed in Pantycelyn to keep their Welshness.

Damien 11-08-2017 13:39

Dydw i ddim yn gwybod a yw hyn yn gweithio, Fi jyst ei gyfieithu â google

OLD BOY 11-08-2017 14:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35911930)
Just look at the national days Den; St George's Day -does it mean anything to the people of England ? it's barely mentioned. Where as St. Davids, Andrews and Patrick's Day are widely celebrated in their own countries and beyond.

---------- Post added at 09:14 ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 ----------

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ist-board.html

What the tourists don't understand is that people genuinely speak Welsh in Wales. It's been compulsory in Welsh schools for over 25 years now and use of the language has become more widespread.

It's all just a load of tosh, in my view. Language divides us, leads to misunderstandings and isolates those who speak these minority languages (unless they are bi-lingual).

In a perfect world, we would all speak one language. I'm sure we would all get on better if we did and it would cease to be a trade barrier. I'm sure there must be many a small business who would trade abroad if only they could communicate with people in those countries.

As for all these saints days, they are only useful as excuses to have a Bank Holiday for most people. Sorry, generalising again!

downquark1 11-08-2017 14:15

Welsh is just Yiddish spoken by Scottish people.

heero_yuy 11-08-2017 14:31

Paul 11-08-2017 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35911946)
Dydw i ddim yn gwybod a yw hyn yn gweithio, Fi jyst ei gyfieithu â google

Ymddengys bod cyfieithu Google yn gweithio'n iawn.