Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797] (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33628733)

Tharrick 16-06-2008 10:35

Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

I've just installed firefox 3, and found that it refuses to allow me to install the dephormation plugin as it 'does not provide secure updates'

Dephormation 16-06-2008 10:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tharrick (Post 34576430)
I've just installed firefox 3, and found that it refuses to allow me to install the dephormation plugin as it 'does not provide secure updates'

It can be done, sadly the details you need are not available from the dephormation.org.uk site at present.

Dephormation is currently offline in protest against the ICO failure to prosecute BT. I'll bring it back up immediately if BT do announce a trial.

In the event a trial does take place (which I doubt) Dephormation is not going to give you any worthwhile protection.

Firstly, the opt out method may have changed. Secondly, even if you do opt out it seems you are profiled anyway (but not served ads). And thirdly if you do opt out and BT ignore your decision who will you complain to? The ICO?

The only sensible option you have is moving to a better Internet Service Provider who respects your basic requirement for privacy, security, and integrity of communication services.

Google cache with instructions for FF3 is here.

Tarquin L-Smythe 16-06-2008 10:58

If the trials were to start now would be a good time for BT because come the AGM all they say is it is under way we have no data to hand and its going swimmingly.that leaves us talking 2006 & 2007 which they will pee on because of the inaction of all relevant Govt Departments .Please read the times on-line from yesterday if there is such a thing a Phorm PR watching they must have been surprised at the reaction to the intention of the start of the 2008 trial. There are still a few of us with Bt and being not so tech wise would like to know how to check and report back so in the event of the trial starting we can have a little data to hand , I have the kit but due to illness have the memory of a fruit fly.
keep up the fight we know we're right

PS the post on BT forum under News Worthy was me,naughty me I broke my lifetime ban. Ha Ha.

SelfProtection 16-06-2008 11:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tharrick (Post 34576430)

It looks like the dephormation plugin needs to be from an HTTPS Secured Site.
If the developer of the dephormation plugin considers it safe to use on Firefox 3, perhaps sourcing it from nodpi.org or another https website may be viable.

That is up to the developer it is his Copyright material.
I have just noticed the Firefox 3 (non beta) is due for Release Tomorrow.

http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs...for_developers

Securing updates
In order to provide a more secure add-on upgrade path for users, add-ons are now required to provide a secure method for obtaining updates before they can be installed. Add-ons hosted at AMO automatically provide this. Any add-ons installed that do not provide a secure update method when the user upgrades to Firefox 3 will be automatically disabled. Firefox will however continue to check for updates to the extension over the insecure path and attempt to install any update offered (installation will fail if the update also fails to provide a secure update method).

tarka 16-06-2008 11:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dephormation (Post 34576429)
I can't help but wonder if there is a PR feint going on here, to test and measure public resistance (they've done this a few times over the last few months).

I have to agree. They seem to have stopped engaging the public on the issue and I am assuming that there is a lot going on in the background to try and generate positive press (my own personal opinion NOT fact ;)).

I know this quote has been mentioned before but it's mentioned in their latest blog posting and is quite misleading. Quoting Baroness Miller...

she pointed the Lords to the recent Economist article on Phorm and says we are a company that is “on the cutting edge of what can protect the public” [in data protection terms].

I feel it's misleading because it implies that users will be better protected with their technology in place when in fact it does nothing of the sort, in fact you could argue that it has the opposite effect.

spin spin spin spin... I'm starting to get dizzy!

Florence 16-06-2008 11:16

I just wonder if this is Firefox'x way to beat the phorm as all updates if not https would be mirrored by phorm this way phorm shouldnt see the script... Nice one firefox thinking ahead beat us on that one :D

What I really do hope is something goes badly wrong with Phorm equipment a datacentre fire, explosion power outage would be good. I also hope all Government MP's do understanf IT better than they have shown recently since they are playing with fire allowing this to continue. Lambs to slaughter comes to mind.

Privacy_Matters 16-06-2008 11:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Florence (Post 34576456)
I just wonder if this is Firefox'x way to beat the phorm as all updates if not https would be mirrored by phorm this way phorm shouldnt see the script... Nice one firefox thinking ahead beat us on that one :D

What I really do hope is something goes badly wrong with Phorm equipment a datacentre fire, explosion power outage would be good. I also hope all Government MP's do understanf IT better than they have shown recently since they are playing with fire allowing this to continue. Lambs to slaughter comes to mind.

Would be nice to think that :D

But, it is to do with malicious software being downloaded to PCs via the existing Update Service. This is their method to stop it happening.

SelfProtection 16-06-2008 11:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dephormation (Post 34576434)
It can be done, sadly the details you need are not available from the dephormation.org.uk site at present.

Dephormation is currently offline in protest against the ICO failure to prosecute BT. I'll bring it back up immediately if BT do announce a trial.

In the event a trial does take place (which I doubt) Dephormation is not going to give you any worthwhile protection.

Firstly, the opt out method may have changed. Secondly, even if you do opt out it seems you are profiled anyway (but not served ads). And thirdly if you do opt out and BT ignore your decision who will you complain to? The ICO?

The only sensible option you have is moving to a better Internet Service Provider who respects your basic requirement for privacy, security, and integrity of communication services.

Google cache with instructions for FF3 is here.

The Problem with the suggested type of workaround is that Firefox 3 would then be vulnerable to possible exploitation via all other unsecured plugins.

Dephormation 16-06-2008 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarquin L-Smythe (Post 34576442)
There are still a few of us with Bt and being not so tech wise would like to know how to check and report back so in the event of the trial starting we can have a little data to hand

Dephormation will be back shortly :) it can quickly and easily log fake cookie handling and unexpected redirects. Drop me a PM with your email if you're keen to have it now.

Florence 16-06-2008 11:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dephormation (Post 34576463)
Dephormation will be back shortly :) it can quickly and easily log fake cookie handling and unexpected redirects. Drop me a PM with your email if you're keen to have it now.

You should chat to Mel from ISPreview he is also working on something to deal with fake cookies from phorm. http://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/show...3&postcount=14

http://lh5.ggpht.com/pathogenrush/SE.../firephorm.png

We do ned to gather information and work as one to get the best..

Dephormation 16-06-2008 12:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by SelfProtection (Post 34576459)
The Problem with the suggested type of workaround is that Firefox 3 would then be vulnerable to possible exploitation via all other unsecured plugins.

I've a dilemma here. Because if you believe you have any worthwhile protection when using Dephormation, you've completely misunderstood what Phorm are doing.

In other words, it would risk giving non-tech users a false sense of security if they use it as a security/privacy protection measure. If you feel somewhat insecure while Phorm is on your connection, IMHO you're in the right frame of mind.

I'm not going for an ego trip, or mass appeal. In fact, I'm stunned and humbled by the numbers of people who've downloaded it. 30,000+ when I last checked. It was never my intention to provide a crutch to make Phorm somehow acceptable.

OTOH I can see there's a demand for Dephormation as an analysis tool too. Let me find out about the costs involved. I may need to start asking for small donations to keep it going.

---------- Post added at 12:00 ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 ----------

On other thought (and I'll shut up) that hasn't had a lot of consideration is this.

If Phorm ever became established, with its ridiculous cookie based opt out... You would find yourself in the potentially invidious position of buying your right to privacy back. You'd need a suite of add ons to ensure your ISP was aware of your preference to opt out. Add ons for IE, add ons for FF, add ons for MS Office, add ons for Open Office.

Of course, that would all assume the honest endeavor of the ISP.

I don't object to buying anti-virus, on the presumption that the crooks who create viruses go to jail when caught.

I do object to buying software to retain my rights, particularlly given the evidence that people who take those rights away illegally escape punishment.

That's yet another reason why it must never be allowed to happen.

Rant over. I'll shuddup now.

Florence 16-06-2008 12:07

:clap:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dephormation (Post 34576470)
I've a dilemma here. Because if you believe you have any worthwhile protection when using Dephormation, you've completely misunderstood what Phorm are doing.

In other words, it would risk giving non-tech users a false sense of security if they use it as a security/privacy protection measure. If you feel somewhat insecure while Phorm is on your connection, IMHO you're in the right frame of mind.

I'm not going for an ego trip, or mass appeal. In fact, I'm stunned and humbled by the numbers of people who've downloaded it. 30,000+ when I last checked. It was never my intention to provide a crutch to make Phorm somehow acceptable.

OTOH I can see there's a demand for Dephormation as an analysis tool too. Let me find out about the costs involved. I may need to start asking for small donations to keep it going.

---------- Post added at 12:00 ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 ----------

On other thought (and I'll shut up) that hasn't had a lot of consideration is this.

If Phorm ever became established, with its ridiculous cookie based opt out... You would find yourself in the potentially invidious position of buying your right to privacy back. You'd need a suite of add ons to ensure your ISP was aware of your preference to opt out. Add ons for IE, add ons for FF, add ons for MS Office, add ons for Open Office.

Of course, that would all assume the honest endeavor of the ISP.

I don't object to buying anti-virus, on the presumption that the crooks who create viruses go to jail when caught.

I do object to buying software to retain my rights, given the evidence that people who take those rights away illegally do so with the endorsement of the Home Office, ICO, and UK Government.

That's yet another reason why it must never be allowed to happen.

Rant over. I'll shuddup now.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Rant is what is needed fromtime to time clears the air and helps you focus better after.

Deko 16-06-2008 13:04

1 hour and no posts. You all working

We need to find out about this rumoured BT trial starting this week, Didn't BT say they would give 24 hours notice on this ?

Anyone using BT been invited to this trial ?

Florence 16-06-2008 13:08

I was messing around on msdewey and ended up here...
http://phormwatch.blogspot.com/2008/...m-meeting.html

The BT trials nothing yet my son is a customer on the total package he is unknown on here :) my secret weapon as his adress is also not known. He is on guard and will let me know the min he hears or has an invite to do the trial.

Moh Kohn 16-06-2008 13:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff (Post 34576382)
Sneak preview of the new design for NoDPI.Org

The colours are just place holders. Let me know what you think.

Alexander Hanff

Hi Alex,

Just my tuppence worth.. I think the general layout is ok, but i'd personally go for making the banner more prominent (the original scale of it on nodpi.org looks good to me - not too large but with a good impact)

Good luck with it all