Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   VOD : Netflix/Streaming Services (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33695779)

jfman 20-03-2020 15:09

Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36028152)
You underestimate the progress that will be made by the next decade. Of course capacity is limited right now, but surely you are not suggesting that it will always be thus.

I trust that you now accept that there is enough electricity to cope with streaming these days!

Electricity consumption is actually falling in the UK - has been for over a decade. Tiny sticks, more energy efficient STBs and LED televisions contributing to this.

buckeye 20-03-2020 16:16

This is purely anecdotal evidence but I'm not so sure Netflix's reduction in bitrates has been applied to the UK.
I'm still getting their full bitrate on UHD material today.

Pip's mention of CDN's is a bit of a red herring, all the streamers have their own CDN's or leased ones, for example BBC Iplayer has at least two leased CDN's.
ISP's optimise their infrastructure to provide a balanced delivery of all internet services,
however its not unknown for the likes of Netflix to pay to have their own infrastructure within an ISP's hence the furore in the US over the abandonment of net neutrality rules.

In the grand scheme of things whether a streaming service does or doesn't reduce bitrates or give a lesser service than we have paid for is irrelevant,
stay safe everyone here.l

Chris 20-03-2020 16:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36028152)
You underestimate the progress that will be made by the next decade. Of course capacity is limited right now, but surely you are not suggesting that it will always be thus.

I trust that you now accept that there is enough electricity to cope with streaming these days!

This discussion has been going on, on this forum, for over 5 years now OB, how much more time do the networks need to provide enough bandwidth for just the existing streaming customer base to actually use it *instead of* sat/terrestrial linear broadcast? Because that’s the way you’ve always said we’re heading. Streaming continues to have a role in the mix but the infrastructure is way, way behind where it would have to be just for those who already have a Netflix account, to consume all of their tv via Netflix.

And re the power grid, don’t be silly - because the data networks *haven't* built out nearly enough capacity to support a fully IPTV delivered system, they aren’t drawing the sort of power that will blow every fuse in Britain. Only if they ever actually try, will we have to deal with that next, and rather serious, problem.

pip08456 20-03-2020 16:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckeye (Post 36028177)
This is purely anecdotal evidence but I'm not so sure Netflix's reduction in bitrates has been applied to the UK.
I'm still getting their full bitrate on UHD material today.

Pip's mention of CDN's is a bit of a red herring, all the streamers have their own CDN's or leased ones, for example BBC Iplayer has at least two leased CDN's.
ISP's optimise their infrastructure to provide a balanced delivery of all internet services,
however its not unknown for the likes of Netflix to pay to have their own infrastructure within an ISP's hence the furore in the US over the abandonment of net neutrality rules.

In the grand scheme of things whether a streaming service does or doesn't reduce bitrates or give a lesser service than we have paid for is irrelevant,
stay safe everyone here.l

I have no problem with you thinking its a red herring.

In other news Amazon follows suit.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...g-quality.html

Wonder what Disney will do?

Apparently VM and OR can't see a problem.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/03...use-openreach/

OLD BOY 20-03-2020 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36028180)
This discussion has been going on, on this forum, for over 5 years now OB, how much more time do the networks need to provide enough bandwidth for just the existing streaming customer base to actually use it *instead of* sat/terrestrial linear broadcast? Because that’s the way you’ve always said we’re heading. Streaming continues to have a role in the mix but the infrastructure is way, way behind where it would have to be just for those who already have a Netflix account, to consume all of their tv via Netflix.

And re the power grid, don’t be silly - because the data networks *haven't* built out nearly enough capacity to support a fully IPTV delivered system, they aren’t drawing the sort of power that will blow every fuse in Britain. Only if they ever actually try, will we have to deal with that next, and rather serious, problem.

Bandwidth will be made available as it is needed, and as it has done up until now. The coronavirus outbreak and the measures that have been taken to counteract it were not expected. With the sudden increased demand for streaming services and working from home, this has put the whole system under strain.

I have stated repeatedly on here that the future I envisage is related to 2035. What you and my other detractors on here keep doing is looking at every new situation and claiming that my prediction has not come to pass. This is not 2035, it's 2020 unless I've just gone through a timewarp.

I would like to know why you guys keep up these same tired arguments, despite the progress you see all around you. I guess I have some sympathy with you though Chris because I know that you have virtually no internet capacity where you live, but if you did have gigabit broadband I dare say you would see the future in a different light.

The 'lack' of electricity and bandwidth that may exist now will be resolved over the decade and things will look very different. But hey, if you believe that we will simply continue as we are now, that's fine. We'll look back on your scepticism in 15 years, and will we laugh? Yes, we will, and we will recall with amazement all that crap they pushed out on those inflexible scheduled TV channels, inundated with commercials! We will split our sides remembering all those recordings we tried to squeeze into our space limited hard drives and wonder how we managed before VOD and bookmarking. Oh, the good old days!

---------- Post added at 20:34 ---------- Previous post was at 20:26 ----------

Virgin Media have negotiated a deal with NBC/Universal to bring their customers new cinema releases to help compensate for the cinemas being impacted by the Coronavirus.

https://www.virginmedia.com/corporat...versal-at-home

muppetman11 20-03-2020 21:39

At £15.99 a pop

cupcakes aka dd 21-03-2020 01:17

Orange in France are requesting Disney delay it’s launch next week

jfman 21-03-2020 07:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36028221)
Bandwidth will be made available as it is needed, and as it has done up until now. The coronavirus outbreak and the measures that have been taken to counteract it were not expected. With the sudden increased demand for streaming services and working from home, this has put the whole system under strain.

I have stated repeatedly on here that the future I envisage is related to 2035. What you and my other detractors on here keep doing is looking at every new situation and claiming that my prediction has not come to pass. This is not 2035, it's 2020 unless I've just gone through a timewarp.

I would like to know why you guys keep up these same tired arguments, despite the progress you see all around you. I guess I have some sympathy with you though Chris because I know that you have virtually no internet capacity where you live, but if you did have gigabit broadband I dare say you would see the future in a different light.

The 'lack' of electricity and bandwidth that may exist now will be resolved over the decade and things will look very different. But hey, if you believe that we will simply continue as we are now, that's fine. We'll look back on your scepticism in 15 years, and will we laugh? Yes, we will, and we will recall with amazement all that crap they pushed out on those inflexible scheduled TV channels, inundated with commercials! We will split our sides remembering all those recordings we tried to squeeze into our space limited hard drives and wonder how we managed before VOD and bookmarking. Oh, the good old days!

---------- Post added at 20:34 ---------- Previous post was at 20:26 ----------

Virgin Media have negotiated a deal with NBC/Universal to bring their customers new cinema releases to help compensate for the cinemas being impacted by the Coronavirus.

https://www.virginmedia.com/corporat...versal-at-home

I don't need to wait fifteen years to get a laugh out of this subject.

OLD BOY 21-03-2020 11:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36028231)
At £15.99 a pop

I know! Cheaper than the cinema, though.

Hugh 21-03-2020 11:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36028254)

Our local Vue is a fiver through the day (not including 3D or IMAX).

Raider999 21-03-2020 11:48

Quote:

But cinemas are closed anyway

Legendkiller2k 21-03-2020 11:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36028231)
At £15.99 a pop

Yeah i lol'd at that price not many will pay that one thinks and it might further push people to alternative methods.
Samr prices on chilli, Amazon, Ratuken etc.

---------- Post added at 11:51 ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 ----------

Quote:

Cinemworld for me is £18.40p/m via a unlimited card or £10 a pop.

ozsat 21-03-2020 12:05

I think it is a good price - especially as you don't have the guy two rows back constantly talking - or the girl two rows down crunching her snacks - or the oldies who keep rattling the seats as they can't get comfy.

buckeye 21-03-2020 12:44

For anyone looking for a bit more entertainment whilst many of us are virtually confined to our homes then cdkeys have some good cheap Now TV vouchers on sale (I think the one month movie or entertainment passes offer the best value)

https://www.cdkeys.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=now%20tv

RichardCoulter 21-03-2020 17:15

I'm expecting Now TV offers/retention deals to dry up soon. They simply won't need to offer them!

Re: Netflix. If a 25% reduction is said not to affect the picture quality, it begs the question as to why they use this amount of bandwidth anyway??