Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Film & Cinema (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Rate the last movie you saw (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=37399)

denphone 11-04-2020 18:40

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36031226)
Which version - David Niven or Steve Coogan?

David Niven Hugh.

ThunderPants73 11-04-2020 20:26

Outbreak.

Mr K 11-04-2020 20:42

The Skull (1965) 8/10. Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee and a skull that comes to life. What more do you want?

denphone 11-04-2020 20:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36031285)
The Skull (1965) 8/10. Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee and a skull that comes to life. What more do you want?

Two great acting masters of their art there Mr K.:)

denphone 14-04-2020 20:24

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker 9/10

The critics were wrong as usual.;):D

richard s 20-04-2020 18:43

Avengers End Game... Sad ending minus 3 avengers ... 8/10

denphone 09-05-2020 19:02

The Magnificent Seven the original and best.... 10/10

ThunderPants73 22-05-2020 21:35

Legends of the Fall 7/10 Don't judge me.

SnoopZ 22-05-2020 21:42

Venom and the Lion King, picked both at random when I started using the free CinemaHD app on my firestick.

cimt 23-05-2020 01:34

Not seen Venom yet and I think Lion King is in my list on Disney+. I just never watch movies now for some reason.

heero_yuy 24-05-2020 12:25

Alita: Battle Angel

8/10. Stunning visuals as befits a film that James Cameron and Robert Rodriguez are involved in. This is based on a manga and I like the way they've enhanced Alita's eyes to make them larger and more manga style.

A sequel has been commissioned. Maybe we get to see what the hovering city looks like inside.

General Maximus 24-05-2020 12:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 36036576)
A sequel has been commissioned.

that's good news, I hadn't heard that. I loved the film and was gutted when I got to the end and discovered it was going to be in more than one part. It made money but I got worried when I found it hadn't been anywhere near as successful as they had hoped it would be.

heero_yuy 24-05-2020 13:12

Quote:

Quote from Wikipedia: Cameron and Rodriguez have hinted that the film could lead to multiple sequels.[126] On February 6, 2019, they announced that they have plans for Alita: Battle Angel 2 in the future. The casting of Edward Norton in a non-speaking role as Nova in this film was intended to be a setup for the sequel.[127] Additionally, the uncredited cameos by Michelle Rodriguez and Jai Courtney were meant to set up larger roles in a sequel.
I heard it had been commissioned but with Disney taking over Fox it's now in question.

Digital spy:

Hugh 24-05-2020 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 36036584)
I heard it had been commissioned but with Disney taking over Fox it's now in question.

Digital spy:

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/...-angel-sequel/
Quote:

According to our sources – the same ones who told us a Percy Jackson TV show is in the works and that live-action remakes of Robin Hood and Bambi are in development, all of which were correct – the studio are now reportedly considering green-lighting an Alita sequel. The higher-ups have noticed both the strong home video sales and a passionate fanbase that’s only getting bigger, which has led to discussions behind the scenes on returning to the 26th Century for another outing.

heero_yuy 24-05-2020 15:30

Thanks for posting that Hugh :tu: Good news if true. We enjoyed the film and the storyline certainly allows for a sequel.

General Maximus 24-05-2020 19:30

absolutely

ThunderPants73 31-05-2020 11:26

Six Days Seven Nights 7/10
Moneyball 7.5/10

Carth 31-05-2020 12:23

Old DVD found while rooting through drawers (ooooeerr missus)

Bottom Live - Weapons Grade Y Fronts Tour (2003)

Just over 1 hour 30 minutes of ridiculous plot, awful scenery, forgotten lines, ad-libs, foul language, sexual innuendo, bottom burps and gratuitous violence.

Loved it 10/10

*sigh* they can't make em like that anymore ;)

adzii_nufc 14-06-2020 12:13

Artemis Fowl. 2/10

Clearly intended to set up multiple sequels/franchise but they've killed it fairly quick. Clearly the budget was spent solely on CGI. An hour in and you notice 30 minutes are left and nothing has actually happened. The plot hasn't gone anywhere.

Carth 14-06-2020 12:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by adzii_nufc (Post 36039747)
Artemis Fowl. 2/10

Clearly intended to set up multiple sequels/franchise but they've killed it fairly quick. Clearly the budget was spent solely on CGI. An hour in and you notice 30 minutes are left and nothing has actually happened. The plot hasn't gone anywhere.

I looked at reviews, saw very similar comments, gave it a swerve :)

cimt 14-06-2020 12:32

I did wanna give it a watch because it sounded like it could be awesome. Sounds like they totally butchered it though.

General Maximus 15-06-2020 09:24

I wasn't impressed from the trailer

tweetiepooh 15-06-2020 09:33

We watched a number of versions of Pilgrim's Progress. Some were pretty bad and we abandoned but 2 are really very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sK9Pz3SP8s - animated version, reasonably true to the original story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faeen3y7PV0 - a musical version made by a church in the US for $2500. This is not quite what you expect from the word musical. The script is in rhyming couplets (some are a bit strained) with a couple of songs but they fit in very well. It does depart a bit from the Bunyan version and some names are different. It's shot in Oregon and the scenery is beautiful. Highly recommend spending 90 mins on this.

General Maximus 13-07-2020 02:02

Feels like yonks since I did one of these. I think the last time was back in January for 1917.

Greyhound 7.5/10: Been a long time since I watched a WW2 film and this doesn't disappoint. One of the good things these days is that they can make films and show you things with visual effects that couldn't have been done before. You watch stuff like Band of Brothers and in the first ep they get shipped over to England for deployment. None of what they achieved thereafter would have been possible if not for the navy. Very good story.

The Old Guard 6.5/10: I enjoyed this a lot more than I was expecting to. 6.5 sounds like a low score but it doesn't mean the film was bad. Interesting story and good action but tbh you could see it was a tv movie and it felt like it needed a Hollywood touch and developing for the big screen.

denphone 13-07-2020 13:09

Rise of the Planet of the Apes 8/10.

General Maximus 26-08-2020 18:25

Tenet: 6/10

I don't know how to describe this without sounding too negative. I feel very underwhelmed. Sure the action and visual effects were good but it isn't anything we haven't seen before. I found myself paying less attention to the story and more time trying to wrap my head around what they were doing temporally but again, if you like your scifi it isn't anything new and we have seen it before. It was good to be back at the cinema again and there are many more movies to come.

denphone 29-08-2020 08:44

A very hard to please General it seems.

General Maximus 29-08-2020 09:01

Watch it and tell me what you think

denphone 29-08-2020 09:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36048047)
Watch it and tell me what you think

l will.

General Maximus 04-09-2020 23:01

Mulan (2020): 8.5/10

What a superb film. I have never seen the animated version and was considering watching it before this film just so I understood what the crux of the story was but I decided against it. I love the original Aladdin, Lion King and Beauty and the Beast and as good as the live action versions were the cartoons were better and I wanted to appreciate this film for what it was. I loved it for two reasons. Firstly they did a fantastic job of bringing the culture and time period to life but secondly, and what makes the film special, is that it had meaning. Even though it is Disney and aimed more at a child audience they managed to convey that undertone of loyalty and honour that you see in films like Gladiator and The Last Samurai and in this instance it was even more relevant given the culture and society. No matter what stands in your way, a true heart will keep on fighting. I loved it. The only criticism if I had one is the length of the film. I know it is hard given the target audience but I would have gladly seen another 40 mins added to it to make it a 2hr 30 mins film like The Last Samurai. It deserves it and I would have enjoyed seeing the world, culture and characters padded out a bit more. As it is though, great story, great characters, fantastic costumes and choreography. I just wish I could have seen it at the cinema. I think it is going to do well either way though. The Chinese love stuff like this and it is going to make a fortune in China even if it tanks in the rest of the world (like The Great Wall :))

Damien 05-09-2020 21:41

Tenet: 8/10

Not Nolan's best film but probably his most 'Nolan' of all the films. I think he just about pulled it off at the end but it is complicated and you sort of just have to trust the structure holds up since it usually does with Nolan films. The action sequences really make me want a Nolan Bond film tho!

pip08456 06-09-2020 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36048686)
Mulan (2020): 8.5/10

What a superb film. I have never seen the animated version and was considering watching it before this film just so I understood what the crux of the story was but I decided against it. I love the original Aladdin, Lion King and Beauty and the Beast and as good as the live action versions were the cartoons were better and I wanted to appreciate this film for what it was. I loved it for two reasons. Firstly they did a fantastic job of bringing the culture and time period to life but secondly, and what makes the film special, is that it had meaning. Even though it is Disney and aimed more at a child audience they managed to convey that undertone of loyalty and honour that you see in films like Gladiator and The Last Samurai and in this instance it was even more relevant given the culture and society. No matter what stands in your way, a true heart will keep on fighting. I loved it. The only criticism if I had one is the length of the film. I know it is hard given the target audience but I would have gladly seen another 40 mins added to it to make it a 2hr 30 mins film like The Last Samurai. It deserves it and I would have enjoyed seeing the world, culture and characters padded out a bit more. As it is though, great story, great characters, fantastic costumes and choreography. I just wish I could have seen it at the cinema. I think it is going to do well either way though. The Chinese love stuff like this and it is going to make a fortune in China even if it tanks in the rest of the world (like The Great Wall :))

I agree 100% all those slagging it off are the ones expecting a frame by frame remake of the animated film. They seemed to ignore the part at the beginning saying, There have been many stories about Mulan, here is mine (or words to that effect).

I'm surprised you didn't mention Ming Na Wen having a cameo at the end though.

General Maximus 06-09-2020 19:10

I did notice that although the significance was lost on me as i havent seen the original.

Damien 06-09-2020 21:55

No one should expect a shot for shot remake anyway, literally what would be the point of that? It's better to do something new.

SnoopZ 03-10-2020 23:33

Ready Player One 10/10 because I was glued to it, and Olivia Cooke is gorgeous! :romance:

General Maximus 03-10-2020 23:46

I love it, it is my 4th fav film. I wish it had done better at the cinema, it deserved to be epic like Avatar. I do belueve they are working on a sequel though.

ThunderPants73 12-10-2020 19:45

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Daniel Craig).
7.5/10 Good but not as good as the original.

General Maximus 12-10-2020 21:26

haven't seen it in many years but I thought it was really good.

denphone 15-10-2020 08:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36053451)
haven't seen it in many years but I thought it was really good.

It was very good.

General Maximus 25-10-2020 21:37

Back to the Future: 8.5/10

A film I haven't seen in donkeys years, at least 25 years. I was too young to see it at the cinema when it was first released so it is great to see a film which I watched to death when I was growing up on the big screen. Hearing the soundtrack in all its glory was fantastic. It is a shame they didn't think to show BTTF 2 and 3 as well.

Mr K 25-10-2020 21:49

Borat Subsequent Moviefilm: Delivery of Prodigious Bribe to American Regime for Make Benefit Once Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan (2020)
Disgraceful, tasteless and very direspectful to the Donald, 10/10 ;)

Jimmy-J 26-10-2020 04:11

Unhinged: Predictable but good. 7/10

ThunderPants73 26-10-2020 11:02

The Hunt
7.5/10
Movie was meh, but Betty Gilpin was brilliant. One of my favourite actresses right now.

Damien 12-01-2021 10:19

Soul 9/10. Pixar are just so good at what they do.

General Maximus 21-01-2021 19:53

Wonder Woman 1984: 6/10

A fantastic disappointment. I really thought that I was going to miss out not being able to see it at the cinema but it turns out it was a blessing in disguise. The first film was full of character development and emotion and provided depth to what was an otherwise comic book story. This sequel started off on the right foot but once they left the opening scene it didn't go down hill, it fell off a cliff. Far far too much time spent on cheesy unrealistic characters with a ridiculous story line and no way near enough time given to Wonder Woman or developing her character. All the things which made the first film special and so good are missing from this film.

Soul: 9/10

Pixar magic at work again. A lovely sweet and innocent story about things work which you wish so dearly were true. As always they have incorporated the best of humanity, moral and teach you how to be a good person.

Dude111 26-01-2021 01:43

I last saw the movie PASSENGER 57 (1992) on VHS :) (Recorded from analogue cable (HBO))

Much better than the offiical VHS tape of this movie! ('Digitally processed' and looks like crap)

Stephen 26-01-2021 11:26

I think you need a new TV and Blue Ray player.

Analogue doesn't look better than digitally. Restored HD movies. Especially on VHS ORRECORDED OFF A TV SIGNAL.

SnoopZ 26-01-2021 11:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 36068249)
I think you need a new TV and Blue Ray player.

Analogue doesn't look better than digitally. Restored HD movies. Especially on VHS ORRECORDED OFF A TV SIGNAL.

This is Dude, hes still stuck in the dark ages, hes probably still on a black and white CRT telly.

cimt 26-01-2021 12:17

Yeah if you want proof of how crap VHS is, watch Blade Runner on that and then on blu-ray. That is still one of the best looking films to this day.

Chris 26-01-2021 12:24

Dude actively wants stuff to look and sound crap. Each to their own I guess.

Stephen 26-01-2021 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by cimt (Post 36068267)
Yeah if you want proof of how crap VHS is, watch Blade Runner on that and then on blu-ray. That is still one of the best looking films to this day.

I have the briefcase Ltd edition of Blade Runner. The film looks absolutely stunning.

cimt 26-01-2021 14:07

I had some ultimate edition of it years ago and it was awesome. I think it had like 5 different versions on it. I don't think it's available anymore otherwise I'd be on that straight away.

heero_yuy 26-01-2021 17:01

We have the "Final Cut" on special edition DVD. Pretty good using component RGB to the Bravia.

Need to look out a 1080p Bluray rip.

VHS is pretty dire having half the horizontal resolution of analogue broadcast TV which in itself is poor. (PAL/NTSC Colour is only 1MHz which equates to a horizontal resolution of ~60 pixels. Mono is 5MHz)

Stephen 26-01-2021 17:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by cimt (Post 36068296)
I had some ultimate edition of it years ago and it was awesome. I think it had like 5 different versions on it. I don't think it's available anymore otherwise I'd be on that straight away.

That's the discs that came in the edition I have. Along with extra like a model of the police car and a metal origami unicorn.

cimt 26-01-2021 18:58

I actually can't find it anymore, I may have to just go for the final cut. I think I sold it which I know, it was a massive mistake.

heero_yuy 28-01-2021 18:03

Sourced a 1080p copy of the Final Cut with Dolby 5.1 sound. Looks like this Saturday evenings viewing is solved. :)

cimt 28-01-2021 18:33

Good good, it was one of those that you'd recommend to people who were hesitant about blu-ray. Band of Brothers is another excellent one which I do still have somewhere.

heero_yuy 28-01-2021 18:46

Looking forward to it. With the 100 watt subwoofer the 42" Bravia TV gives real cinema sound and as we're only 8 ft away the picture is as big. :)

General Maximus 25-02-2021 10:19

Monster Hunter: 2/10

Well it happens every year; you watch one film that is so bad that you wish you could have the time back for me this year this is it. No story at all and completely hollow, it just begs belief. All I can say is that the money they spent on making this could have been put to better use like making another three seasons of The Expanse.

cimt 25-02-2021 17:30

It's a video game movie by the guy who did the Resident Evil movies. Did you expect anything more?

General Maximus 25-02-2021 17:42

I loved Resident Evil 1 and 2

General Maximus 02-04-2021 22:06

Godzilla vs Kong (2021): 4/10

I cannot overstate how bad this film is. It is stupid from the get go and just makes you want to turn it off. If you thought Godzilla King of the Monsters was bad you haven't seen anything yet. Its only redeeming quality is that the lighting in it is absolutely top notch. This film is so bad that I can't even be bothered to spend my time typing out the long list of things that are just inexcusable. I don't understand how all the people in involved in making this thought it was any good and kept going with it :banghead:

AVOID AT ALL COSTS!

Stephen 02-04-2021 22:57

I have to say I enjoyed godzilla and do feel sometimes you look for or expect too much from movies and TV. Sometimes it's good just to sit and enjoy a film without thinking about all the errors or things that go against science or realism. As long as it entertains then I can be happy.

SnoopZ 02-04-2021 22:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36076016)
Godzilla vs Kong (2021): 4/10

I cannot overstate how bad this film is. It is stupid from the get go and just makes you want to turn it off. If you thought Godzilla King of the Monsters was bad you haven't seen anything yet. Its only redeeming quality is that the lighting in it is absolutely top notch. This film is so bad that I can't even be bothered to spend my time typing out the long list of things that are just inexcusable. I don't understand how all the people in involved in making this thought it was any good and kept going with it :banghead:

AVOID AT ALL COSTS!

How much did you pay to watch it?

You have put me off watching the free version, even though IMDb gives it a 6.9?

cimt 03-04-2021 11:54

It probably kills his realism factor. I've only heard good things about it so far.

Paul 04-04-2021 03:32

Quote:

I cannot overstate how bad this film is.

I think you just did ;)

Quote:

If you thought Godzilla King of the Monsters was bad you haven't seen anything yet.

I didnt, I enjoyed it.

Quote:

AVOID AT ALL COSTS!

Nope, I fully intend to watch it, and I'm now a little more certain I'll enjoy it.

"Realism" is not the point of all films, entertainment and enjoyment are more important to me. :D

General Maximus 04-04-2021 12:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36076121)
I'm now a little more certain I'll enjoy it.

i can't wait to see what you think (seriously)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36076121)
"Realism" is not the point of all films

I didn't mention my realism factor ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36076023)
How much did you pay to watch it?

that's classified. I was really looking forward to watching it at the cinema but I am glad I didn't now. Even though I get to go to the cinema for free I still would have been well pee'd off if I had made the effort to go and paid for parking etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36076023)
IMDb gives it a 6.9?

I looked at that and thought it was a joke. I gave it 4/10. There are so many things that are wrong with it it is laughable. It has got so many plot holes in it that you would have to class it as one of those films 5-7 year olds would watch where they watch it for the spectacle and not think about what is happening in the film and how it would happen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cimt (Post 36076050)
It probably kills his realism factor. I've only heard good things about it so far.

There is a channel on youtube called "everything wrong with" and they take a perfectly good film and skip through and point out all the little mistakes and things that don't make sense for a laugh and it will titled something like "everything wrong with Independence Day in 16 minutes or less". When they get to this film it is going to be "everything wrong with Godzilla vs Kong in 5 hours or less" the list is going to be that long.

Stephen 04-04-2021 12:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36076148)

I didn't mention my realism factor ;)

that's classified. I was really looking forward to watching it at the cinema but I am glad I didn't now. Even though I get to go to the cinema for free I still would have been well pee'd off if I had made the effort to go and paid for parking etc.

I looked at that and thought it was a joke. I gave it 4/10. There are so many things that are wrong with it it is laughable. It has got so many plot holes in it that you would have to class it as one of those films 5-7 year olds would watch where they watch it for the spectacle and not think about what is happening in the film and how it would happen.

There is a channel on youtube called "everything wrong with" and they take a perfectly good film and skip through and point out all the little mistakes and things that don't make sense for a laugh and it will titled something like "everything wrong with Independence Day in 16 minutes or less". When they get to this film it is going to be "everything wrong with Godzilla vs Kong in 5 hours or less" the list is going to be that long.

Those videos are done toungue in check. The do some almost perfect movies to, like Ghostbusters or Ghost etc. It's just for fun. Cinema Sins didn't to be taken seriously.
I don't care if a films has a few mistakes or errors. As long as I enjoy the on screen action then I'm happy.

General Maximus 04-04-2021 12:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 36076151)
I don't care if a films has a few mistakes or errors

me neither, and to be fair, most of the stuff cinema sins picks up on I wouldn't notice in a million years. Still funny to watch though.

cimt 04-04-2021 15:48

That's cause they just pick up on stuff for jokes these days. Back in the day it used to be actual issues with films but still tongue in cheek. Jeremy, the guy who does that channel is actually an excellent writer. I've got one of his books and it's about a group of superheroes who have disabilities.

Mr K 04-04-2021 22:00

'The Incredible Shrinking Man' (1957). 9/10
Found this beauty on the Horror Channel, why don't they make them like this any longer? :)

General Maximus 05-04-2021 00:10

If you like that you should try Land of the Giants (tv series)

Paul 05-04-2021 22:24

Quote:

Thoroughly enjoyed it :D 8/10.

A bit of a bummer if you lived in Hong Kong, they wreaked it :angel:

(Kong v Godzilla for those not following)

General Maximus 06-04-2021 19:27

Not as good as I thought it was going to be. Looking forward to the hishe now.

Stuart 07-04-2021 11:55

I'm looking forward to Godzilla Vs Kong. Based on the trailers, and other reviews I have read, I think if I go into it expecting to find a couple of hours of action, fighting monsters and possibly a little humour, I won't be disappointed. I'm not expecting a realistic version of monsters fighting. I enjoyed the first Godzilla (although the 2nd tried to expand the story a little too much), and I enjoyed "Kong: Skull Island", so I'm expecting to enjoy this.

The last film I saw? "The Equalizer 2". I saw both of them at the Cinema on their original release.

When the first Equalizer film came out, I was planning to skip it, as I was never interested in the TV show, so figured I probably wouldn't be interested in the film. However, one night, I was in the mood to see a film, and saw that it had Denzel Washington in it. I had an "Unlimited card" (essentially a Cineworld season ticket), so it didn't cost me any extra to see it, and, TBH, I probably wouldn't have bothered if I'd have had to pay extra.

So, I figured if it was bad, all I'd lost was a couple of hours. I saw it, and thoroughly enjoyed it. So, when no 2 came around, I was excited. Watched No 2 again the other night, and it's still as good a film as it was..

8 out of 10, and I hope that Denzel Washington comes back to the part of Robert McCall again. I know Amazon has a reboot of the TV series coming, but that isn't about Robert McCall, so there is hope..

SnoopZ 07-04-2021 23:44

It's not often I agree with General when he says movie is bad, but OMG Godzilla Vs Kong is so bad it's laughable, the only good thing about it is the special effects.

Glad I didn't pay to watch it!!!

Pierre 08-04-2021 09:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36076462)
It's not often I agree with General when he says movie is bad, but OMG Godzilla Vs Kong is so bad it's laughable, the only good thing about it is the special effects.

Glad I didn't pay to watch it!!!

My six year old disagrees. As an adult I found it stupid, but my kids ( that are big Godzilla fans) loved it, and when MechaGodzilla appears they went crazy.

The film knows it’s audience.

tweetiepooh 08-04-2021 10:28

At the moment I'm watching a lot of Christian films on Youtube.

Too many of these are of the romance/return to faith/return to home town type but there are some that are worth watching. Also too many rapture/Left Behind types.

The best ones are those that don't try to compete on special effects or big budget films and focus on a message.

What I find is that some casts do a really good job of making a normal scene look acted where good actors can make acting look like real life.

General Maximus 08-04-2021 17:41

Quote:

There are so many things that are wrong with it it is laughable. It has got so many plot holes in it that you would have to class it as one of those films 5-7 year olds would watch where they watch it for the spectacle and not think about what is happening in the film and how it would happen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36076479)
My six year old disagrees

Glad to see I was right

Pierre 08-04-2021 22:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36076521)
Glad to see I was right

You were, but when you go to see a film called Kong v Godzilla, expecting character arc & development and an acting masterclass would mean that you are the idiot and not the film maker.

( that is 100% not directed at you, that is a general point about films like this)

It’s like when people get angry about Star Wars, Marvel, DC etc. They’re kids films. They’re not excused from criticism but criticise from where they’re pitching to.

Paul 08-04-2021 22:18

Well they are not really kids films, but they are designed to entertain, not be serious.

If you want to be bored to death then by all means watch something else.

General Maximus 08-04-2021 23:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36076537)
you go to see a film called Kong v Godzilla

everyone seems to be under the impression that I have a problem with monsters and monsters fighting and I don't. I accept that as it is a condition of the universe you are choosing to engage in.

I didn't want to get into it because I know I won't stop but what I do have a problem with is children managing to sneak into a high security base, manage to access a highly secured (and unmonitored) transport system, exit at the other end without any security or oversight, wonder around a base etc etc you get the point. Let talks about some miraculously invented flying (space) ships which can travel hundreds of miles towards the Earth's core and when you get there the team of world class scientists (specifically biologists) don't think to test the atmosphere and just assume they can take their helmets off and can breathe perfectly fine. Shall we mention Nathan Lind and how despite his field of expertise manages to do everything and anything including flying a brand new ship which nobody, including himself, has ever seen before?

As Judge Judy says, if it doesn't make sense it's not true. All these stupid stupid things completely ruin the movie. This isn't an alternate time, dystopian future or anything else. They paint it as present day in as close to out current world as can be so you expect similar rules, behaviours and realism from the characters with the universe. How can you have a highly secretive all powerful megacorp which has operated in secrecy and impunity for years suddenly infiltrated by dimwits? It does my head in and it wouldn't happen.

Paul 09-04-2021 04:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36076543)
As Judge Judy says, if it doesn't make sense it's not true. All these stupid stupid things completely ruin the movie.

I'm afraid there are times when you talk complete bollox.
Based on this view, you should absolutely hate The Expanse.
You do know a 'proto molecule' isnt true, dont you - not to mention how fast they zip around the solar system.

Its fiction / fantasy, its not supposed to be true.
Obviously you also hate all the Jurassic World films for the same reasons.

General Maximus 09-04-2021 09:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36076544)
Based on this view, you should absolutely hate The Expanse.

nope

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36076544)
Obviously you also hate all the Jurassic World films for the same reasons.

nope

so sad that you haven't understood a single thing i have said.

Chris 09-04-2021 09:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36076543)
everyone seems to be under the impression that I have a problem with monsters and monsters fighting and I don't. I accept that as it is a condition of the universe you are choosing to engage in.

I didn't want to get into it because I know I won't stop but what I do have a problem with is children managing to sneak into a high security base, manage to access a highly secured (and unmonitored) transport system, exit at the other end without any security or oversight, wonder around a base etc etc you get the point. Let talks about some miraculously invented flying (space) ships which can travel hundreds of miles towards the Earth's core and when you get there the team of world class scientists (specifically biologists) don't think to test the atmosphere and just assume they can take their helmets off and can breathe perfectly fine. Shall we mention Nathan Lind and how despite his field of expertise manages to do everything and anything including flying a brand new ship which nobody, including himself, has ever seen before?

As Judge Judy says, if it doesn't make sense it's not true. All these stupid stupid things completely ruin the movie. This isn't an alternate time, dystopian future or anything else. They paint it as present day in as close to out current world as can be so you expect similar rules, behaviours and realism from the characters with the universe. How can you have a highly secretive all powerful megacorp which has operated in secrecy and impunity for years suddenly infiltrated by dimwits? It does my head in and it wouldn't happen.

To summarise ... you’re appealing for your filmic universe to be internally consistent, which is no bad thing. Against that I’d say you have to allow a little artistic shorthand in order to allow any story to be told within the set running time. It is a fine balancing act and not all films get it right - some directors seriously abuse their audience’s willing suspension of disbelief by demanding they accept everything they see.

I haven’t seen this film and I’m not going to be paying to do so, though I expect it will pop up somewhere I’m already subscribed to eventually. So I can’t judge how well the director has done here. However from your other posts in film and tv topics I do think you have a higher than average requirement for realism in your viewing material. You like to have the rules of the universe spelled out and then you like your characters to be seen to be obeying them. You even have a name for it, you call it your “realism factor”. Based on that I’d say science fantasy, especially science fantasy that is self-consciously riffing off mid 20th century Japanese comic book movies and Hollywood B-movies, is probably not going to float your boat.

General Maximus 09-04-2021 09:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36076549)
you’re appealing for your filmic universe to be internally consistent, which is no bad thing.

hallelujah :tu:

Quote:

You like to have the rules of the universe spelled out and then you like your characters to be seen to be obeying them. You even have a name for it, you call it your “realism factor”.
exactly. Whatever the genre and story, I accept the world/universe for what it is (like I said above, I have no problem with monsters existing and fighting one another) and as such, if an event happens which contradicts those established rules then I have a problem with it because as far as I am concerned it is unrealistic for the universe which has just been described to us.. This is why I don't have a problem with The Expanse. It is absolute perfection and I can't think of a single thing I have seen in any ep which has hit my realism factor (feel free to correct me).

Chris 09-04-2021 09:51

Believe it or not I’ve not been following The Expanse ... me and missus couldn’t get past the extensive, gratuitous zero-g sex scene in the first episode, especially with three kids still wandering round the house in the evening.

General Maximus 09-04-2021 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36076554)
me and missus couldn’t get past the extensive, gratuitous zero-g sex scene in the first episode

that was a unique event. I can't recommend The Expanse enough. You don't need to wait until you get bored and need a new series to watch, The Expanse is that good that you can drop everything you are watching now and switch to The Expanse. It is a bit higgledy-piggledy to start off with like GoT was but by episode 5 you are well into it and it just gets better and better all the time. If you enjoy serious scifi like Star Trek, BSG and B5 then you'll love The Expanse. There isn't any nudity in it because there is realistic action and blood when necessary.

Mr K 09-04-2021 21:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36076588)
that was a unique event. I can't recommend The Expanse enough. You don't need to wait until you get bored and need a new series to watch, The Expanse is that good that you can drop everything you are watching now and switch to The Expanse. It is a bit higgledy-piggledy to start off with like GoT was but by episode 5 you are well into it and it just gets better and better all the time. If you enjoy serious scifi like Star Trek, BSG and B5 then you'll love The Expanse. There isn't any nudity in it because there is realistic action and blood when necessary.

Prefer Blake's 7 myself. Yes, all the planets are like quarries, but have you seen the pics from Mars? ;)

Jaymoss 09-04-2021 23:48

Thunder Force due to all the soaps being cancelled for something of no interest to me . It was ok funny in parts

---------- Post added at 22:48 ---------- Previous post was at 22:47 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36076554)
Believe it or not I’ve not been following The Expanse ... me and missus couldn’t get past the extensive, gratuitous zero-g sex scene in the first episode, especially with three kids still wandering round the house in the evening.

rushes to Amazon to watch the first episode hehehe

Hugh 10-04-2021 00:04

If you’re going going to object to Kong vs Godzilla, can it at least be for the Square-Cube Law?

Dude111 15-04-2021 08:45

I last watched STAR TREK GENERATIONS (1994) on VHS :) (Recorded from analogue cable (Cinemax))

I give it I guess it 7/10 (Last STAR TREK movie I like)

General Maximus 15-04-2021 08:58

I can still remember going to see that at the cinema with my family and going for a curry afterwards

Chris 15-04-2021 09:01

It’s an odd-numbered Star Trek film.

General Maximus 15-04-2021 09:11

Still loved it

cimt 15-04-2021 11:49

Generations was terrible.

General Maximus 17-04-2021 19:07

I thought it was great, not as good as First Contact but still very good.

Chris 17-04-2021 22:03

Anyhoo ... middle child suddenly decided to be ‘in’ to Marvel, when all her pals on social media started raving about Wandavision. So she’s watching The Falcon & The Winter Soldier with us on Fridays now (and her Disney+ profile pic is Sebastian Stan all of a sudden :D ) ... and she’s been following the Disney+ MCU Timeline Order menu. So we’ve been going through the whole lot for a few weeks now, and tonight we watched Ant Man and the Wasp. We’re going to finish with an Avengers double feature binge tomorrow.

I’m a big Marvel fan and I think the MCU films just keep getting better. AMATW is great fun.

Pierre 18-04-2021 09:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36077162)
Anyhoo ... middle child suddenly decided to be ‘in’ to Marvel, when all her pals on social media started raving about Wandavision. So she’s watching The Falcon & The Winter Soldier with us on Fridays now (and her Disney+ profile pic is Sebastian Stan all of a sudden :D ) ... and she’s been following the Disney+ MCU Timeline Order menu. So we’ve been going through the whole lot for a few weeks now, and tonight we watched Ant Man and the Wasp. We’re going to finish with an Avengers double feature binge tomorrow.

I’m a big Marvel fan and I think the MCU films just keep getting better. AMATW is great fun.

I don’t think there is a bad marvel film. Some are better than others but there isn’t a “bad” one.

Doesn’t the Current Marvel arc finish with Spider-Man far from home? Or is that the first of the new arc?

Chris 18-04-2021 10:08

They decided to place Far From Home at the end of Phase 3 because although it comes right after Endgame, it deals with Peter Parker’s grief over losing Tony Stark, who had become a mentor to him. So in a sense it’s carrying the implications of Endgame to their conclusion.

I’ve not actually got round to seeing it yet though ... annoyingly because of the rights mash up with Sony, Marvel-Disney can make the films but they can’t include them on Disney+.