Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Film & Cinema (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Rate the last movie you saw (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=37399)

admars 17-08-2017 13:37

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Cars 3 7/10
Am mixing it up a bit now ;) the missus got some free cinema tickets so took the kids to see it. I think they all enjoyed it more than me, haven't seen cars 2, and saw Cars 1 at cinema but not seen since then. I think it has the same problem as the first, the characters aren't as interesting or as likeable as Toy Story etc, and parts of it seem like a tech demo of how talented the team is.

I enjoyed the short before it, that was really good.

Osem 29-08-2017 13:54

Mediocre to rubbish - can't remember the last really decent film I saw. :shrug:

General Maximus 29-08-2017 22:31

I have just been to see T2: Judgement Day at the cinema in 4K remastered 3D and it was superb. I was too young to see it when it first came out and I can remember my parents going to see it, coming back and telling me how good it was and I had to wait for it to come out to rent (on tape). It is was amazing to see it in all its glory and you could easily release it today as a new movie and not change anything and it would still be great. I hope they do more of this and bring back the blockbusters from the 80s and 90s to watch on the big screen again. Who wouldn't want to see Aliens at the cinema?

Stephen 29-08-2017 22:44

Same as you mate. Just out of a showing. It looked amazing and thanks to practical effects still looks great.

There was a trailer for the rerelease of Close Encounters due next month too.

Aliens was out last year with the first one I think. Cineworld used to due showings of classic films a lot. Got to see Blues Brothers and Ghostbusters a few years back.

General Maximus 29-08-2017 22:53

Interesting, i didnt see Aliens advertised last year and there defo wasnt a trailer for Close Encounters this evening. I'll check the advanced dates tomorrow because i am in bed now :)

Stephen 29-08-2017 23:21

We got trailers for that and Blade Runner 2.

The James Cameron intro got a round of applause in the showing and one at the end.

Apparently Cameron made one small edit for a continuity error that's bugged him since the film got released. Was near the start but notf sure what it was.

Edit: The truck chase scene, they fixed the windshield as it falls out and then reappears but they digitally added it back and removed the smashed bit.

Qtx 03-09-2017 21:00

Rememory. Average movie which will not win any awards but ok to pass the time if you can look past it's flaws.

denphone 04-09-2017 05:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35914496)
Interesting, i didnt see Aliens advertised last year and there defo wasnt a trailer for Close Encounters this evening. I'll check the advanced dates tomorrow because i am in bed now :)

Aliens was very good but you still cannot beat the wonderful tense first film though.

doreen12 11-09-2017 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qtx (Post 35915134)
Rememory. Average movie which will not win any awards but ok to pass the time if you can look past it's flaws.

Agree! I cannot say that I was focused the whole movie but to watch it once is ok

adzii_nufc 13-09-2017 14:48

Transformers: The Last Knight - 2/10

Probably, well certainly the right time for Michael Bay to step away from this, besides pleasing Chinese audiences and raking in the money I can't find the purpose of this movie, it's horrible. Can we have a Christopher Nolan Transformers now.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead men tell no tales - 7/10

I mean they're not as good as the original trilogy but they're still a welcome addition to the franchise and more than watchable. They've deliberately left it open to a re-visiting of Davy Jones and the events of At worlds end.

doreen12 18-09-2017 10:50

Super 8 5/10

General Maximus 20-09-2017 03:09

Kingsmen: The Golden Circle - 6.5/10

Good, action packed and funny but lacked the edge the first one had. It is one of those films which you can watch on a Sunday afternoon without having to pay too much attention.

Paul 21-09-2017 02:39

Kingsman: The Secret Service 8/10.

Truely not what I expected, but really good film, looking forward to part 2 now, next week.

General Maximus 07-10-2017 16:53

Blade Runner 2049: 9/10

A very solid and pure scifi film. Being unbias and putting "Blade Runner" aside, I think it is the best sequel I have ever seen which seamlessly continues the story perfectly (John Wick 2 comes to mind) and quite geniusly uses current special effects but still keeps the technology retro/in tone to the first movie and only making minor technological advancements. Even though there is a massive time jump between the production of the films it doesn't feel like it when you watch it. The story is excellent and as I have said many a time before, isn't a far stretch from what I am sure we will face in the future when faced with the rights of AI/androids/cyborgs etc.

I have never been a huge fan of Blade Runner or bought into the cult fandom but I really enjoyed the sequel. When you go to see it make sure you put 4 hours into the car park, I didn't realise how long the film was.

Spoiler: 
Oh and in case you are wondering, I would definitely have the holographic gf :romance:

Dude111 09-10-2017 04:42

I last watched THE TOY (1982) on VHS :)

Excellent movie!!!

General Maximus 24-10-2017 16:19

Geostorm: 4/10

I don't know what to say about this other than it annoyed me. The action and special effects were very good but the script and story was rubbish and on par with an above average B movie. It is the kind of thing I feel like I would come up with if it was my first movie thinking I was doing a really good job but when you watch it back it is just cack. People do things (like secret service agents) that you know they just wouldn't do.

I can sum this up by saying it isn't even a Sunday afternoon film. It is the Sunday afternoon film you watch to pass time and at the end of it say "I am glad we didn't go to the cinema to watch that". I have been trying to think what I can equate it to and the closest thing I can come up with is White House Down.

Stephen 24-10-2017 16:39

I wasnt expecting it to have a good sceipt or acting. Its a typical disaster movie desroy the earth film so just take it as is. Lots of cgi and action.

Hugh 24-10-2017 16:48

Thor:Ragnarok - really enjoyable, very funny, and lots of action - probably in my top 5 Marvel movies.

General Maximus 24-10-2017 17:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35921703)
I wasnt expecting it to have a good sceipt or acting. Its a typical disaster movie desroy the earth film so just take it as is. Lots of cgi and action.

I was hoping for something more serious like The Day After Tomorrow

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35921706)
Thor:Ragnarok - really enjoyable, very funny, and lots of action - probably in my top 5 Marvel movies.

I am going to see it at 8 o'clock so I'll report back later.

General Maximus 24-10-2017 23:14

Thor: Ragnarok: 7/10

A great film with many genuine laugh out loud moments. I really enjoyed it and it was made all the more better as it had a realistic bad guy which fit into the universe. A lot of people moaned about Thor 2 but I loved it because it expanded the Thor universe by showing us much more of Asgard and thus making the whole culture and way of life more real. When I saw the trailer for Ragnarok I was a bit worried because I thought they had drummed up some random bady to cause some carnage but her origins and where she fits in are perfect.

That was the plus side, the one thing which sort of spoilt the film a bit for mme was the music/soundtrack choice. Instead of your traditional orchestral music it was 80's arcade game music and sounded like they had pulled it straight from Buck Rogers. It didn't blend well with the film for me and stood out like a sore thumb.

7/10 doesn't sound great but it is still a really good film and I will go and see it again another two or three times. I gave it 7/10 because some people are saying this is the best Marvel film yet but I think Civil War and Dr Strange were better.

There are two post credit scenes. The first one is after the initial title sequence for the actors and is worth waiting for. The second is right at the end of the credits when all the studio logos are displayed etc and tbh is the first scene out of all the movies which isn't worth it. I won't spoil it for you but it isn't related to any future movie and is probably going to be a deleted scene on the dvd/bluray release. You would be better off saving yourself 10 mins and leaving after the first one.

Stephen 26-10-2017 08:08

Thor: Ragnorock 9/10

This movie had it all. Great action, genuinely funny laugh out loud moments and a banging 80s soundtrack which for me really suited the movie.

The character of Korg really stole the scenes he was in and was voiced and mocap was done by the director. The Dr Strange scenes were also pretty good and can't really think of a bad moment in the film.

Yes the final post credit scene was a bit pointless but it still got a laugh from everyone that stayed for it.

My new fav Marvel movie(till the next one lol)

General Maximus 17-11-2017 03:32

Justice League: 6/10

I don't know where to start tbh. I had really high expectations for this film and it just doesn't deliver. For starters, they made the big mistake of tying it in with BvS; following on from the film and continuous references to it. You would have thought they would want to put it behind them. Secondly, the story and characters are too weak.

Spoiler: 
The film starts off with a 60 second scene of Batman fighting some sort of flying wasp alien and all of a sudden it is red alert and we need to get everyone together to save the world. I can understand why that happened because they hav to spend a lot of time explaining the characters (e.g. Aquaman), who they are and where they come from. And herein lies the problem. They need to either spend time establishing the story for the doomsday scenario or establish the other characters in the film but they do neither so both fail. The time they spend on Cyborg, The Flash and Aquaman doesn't help at all and the only reason why The Flash meant anything to me is because I know all about the character from the tv series. Had they done the origin movies first what they did in terms of seeking out the characters in this film would have been perfect and it would have also allowed them to spend more time setting up the big bad guy in this film, who looks like he has come straight out of a computer game btw.

The one redeeming quality this film has is Wonder Woman and it partly justifies the point I made above. Because we know who she is we can enjoy her character more and her scenes are more relatable and make sense. If Wonder Woman (the film) hadn't come out first the scene on Themyscira wouldn't have made any sense at all and I would have been scratching my head wondering where on earth (literally) they were and who all those warrior people are. As it happens though it was one of the best scenes of the movie because you can relate to it and you know the culture, back story and what they are capable of. The complete opposite of this is what they do with Aquaman. You seen him go to Atlantis (I presume) once, you get the impression he hasn't been there in years/all his life yet the head of the guard/army is more than happy to hand over the super powerful trident to him because he needs it for his role in film :rolleyes:

I have a few other gripes. The thing which does my head in with all these films is Superman. I wasn't too keen on the new Superman films, BvS continued the story and it just spills into this film as well. Superman is too hollow for me as is Lois Lane and Clark's parents. This film would have been a lot better without him in it and they didn't need him. The bad guy looked like Ares out of Wonder Woman and if Wonder Woman can defeat Ares them she can defeat this bad dude.

The sad thing is that a lot of the things I have mentioned above could have been fixed with time. When the film finished I looked at my phone and 2 hours hadn't even elapsed. If they had made it another 30 or 40 minutes long they could have spent more time on the story and characters and it would have been so much better. It is a shame Joss Whedon didn't pick up on this. I know he was only doing reshoots and probably couldn't have got all the actors back for the time needed but at the very least they could have completely redone the start of the movie.

Thor and Blade Runner looked amazing in 3D and I kept taking my glasses off in this to check it was in 3D because most of time I couldn't tell the difference. For some reason the film wasn't full screen either. It is the first time that I can remember in about 15 years going to the cinema and the film not taking up the entire screen. It looked standard widescreen (16:9) and there were bars on either side of the screen.

There are other things which are things which are bugging me as well but I'll stop moaning now and let you guys do it instead. As a heads up, there are two post credit scenes in Marvel format; one immediately after the film finishes and one right at the end after all the credits have rolled and the studio logos come up. You wonder what spoons they have got working at Warner Bros and DC. They haven't learnt their lesson and Marvel must be laughing their asses off.

Stephen 17-11-2017 08:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35925338)

I don't know where to start tbh. I had really high expectations for this film and it just doesn't deliver. For starters, they made the big mistake of tying it in with BvS; following on from the film and continuous references to it. You would have thought they would want to put it behind them. Secondly, the story and characters are too weak.

That was your first mistake.

Also how could they not tie it in or follow on. It had to.

I am seeing it Sunday and am not expecting much so will likely enjoy it.

TheDaddy 19-11-2017 08:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35925338)

Spoiler: 
The film starts off with a 60 second scene of Batman fighting some sort of flying wasp alien and all of a sudden it is red alert and we need to get everyone together to save the world. I can understand why that happened because they hav to spend a lot of time explaining the characters (e.g. Aquaman), who they are and where they come from. And herein lies the problem. They need to either spend time establishing the story for the doomsday scenario or establish the other characters in the film but they do neither so both fail. The time they spend on Cyborg, The Flash and Aquaman doesn't help at all and the only reason why The Flash meant anything to me is because I know all about the character from the tv series. Had they done the origin movies first what they did in terms of seeking out the characters in this film would have been perfect and it would have also allowed them to spend more time setting up the big bad guy in this film, who looks like he has come straight out of a computer game btw.

The one redeeming quality this film has is Wonder Woman and it partly justifies the point I made above. Because we know who she is we can enjoy her character more and her scenes are more relatable and make sense. If Wonder Woman (the film) hadn't come out first the scene on Themyscira wouldn't have made any sense at all and I would have been scratching my head wondering where on earth (literally) they were and who all those warrior people are. As it happens though it was one of the best scenes of the movie because you can relate to it and you know the culture, back story and what they are capable of. The complete opposite of this is what they do with Aquaman. You seen him go to Atlantis (I presume) once, you get the impression he hasn't been there in years/all his life yet the head of the guard/army is more than happy to hand over the super powerful trident to him because he needs it for his role in film :rolleyes:

I have a few other gripes. The thing which does my head in with all these films is Superman. I wasn't too keen on the new Superman films, BvS continued the story and it just spills into this film as well. Superman is too hollow for me as is Lois Lane and Clark's parents. This film would have been a lot better without him in it and they didn't need him. The bad guy looked like Ares out of Wonder Woman and if Wonder Woman can defeat Ares them she can defeat this bad dude.

The sad thing is that a lot of the things I have mentioned above could have been fixed with time. When the film finished I looked at my phone and 2 hours hadn't even elapsed. If they had made it another 30 or 40 minutes long they could have spent more time on the story and characters and it would have been so much better. It is a shame Joss Whedon didn't pick up on this. I know he was only doing reshoots and probably couldn't have got all the actors back for the time needed but at the very least they could have completely redone the start of the movie.

Thor and Blade Runner looked amazing in 3D and I kept taking my glasses off in this to check it was in 3D because most of time I couldn't tell the difference. For some reason the film wasn't full screen either. It is the first time that I can remember in about 15 years going to the cinema and the film not taking up the entire screen. It looked standard widescreen (16:9) and there were bars on either side of the screen.

There are other things which are things which are bugging me as well but I'll stop moaning now and let you guys do it instead. As a heads up, there are two post credit scenes in Marvel format; one immediately after the film finishes and one right at the end after all the credits have rolled and the studio logos come up. You wonder what spoons they have got working at Warner Bros and DC. They haven't learnt their lesson and Marvel must be laughing their asses off.

Aquaman, I'm definitely not bothering with it, probably wasn't going to anyway but that's a given now, he's the worst superhero ever, that family guy episode where the woman is being raped on the beech and he's throwing starfish sums him up and his outfits awful to, green and orange, who thought that was a good combo

Dude111 09-12-2017 01:35

I last watched PATRIOT GAMES (1992) on VHS :) (Recorded from Cinemax)

8/10 I guess .. Its g00d

General Maximus 09-12-2017 02:06

That trilogy of Patriot Games, Hunt for Red October and Clear and Present Danger is excellent.

Dude111 09-12-2017 16:00

Yea I notice that girl (his daughter) uses THE SAME NAME in clear and present danger... (I havent seen that)

She is in Monkey trouble also................ (1994)

General Maximus 09-12-2017 20:19

Jumanji (2017): 7/10

I wasn't as impressed as I though I was going to be; the trailer makes it look better than it is. I don't really know who to explain it but you can tell it is definitely a childrens film because the story and characters are very simple. It is very funny though and pop culture references are great as in the acting. I would take this over Justice League any day.

Stephen 12-12-2017 15:38

I knew it was a kids film as its meant to be a sequel of sorts to the original Jumanji I think?

General Maximus 13-12-2017 20:13

yeah, I love nostalgia and this follows on and ties in with the original very nicely. It bought back some very happy memories from seeing the first one at the cinema.

Hugh 13-12-2017 20:51

Just watched Star Wars:The Force Awakens, to get me up to speed for the Last Jedi tomorrow morning at 9:45am (3D IMAX).

General Maximus 13-12-2017 23:25

Just finished it and got a 40 minute break now before Episode 8. I watched it 3 times at the cinema when it came out and havent seen it since. I can honestly say that after all this time i enjoyed it more now than i did the first time round. I love the nods to the original trilogy, all the nostalgia and the little jokes. The music is so powerful and emotional and i hoping we hear more of the original themes in ep8 as we see more jedi stuff. RIP Han.

General Maximus 14-12-2017 03:47

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

I am not going to give my verdict on the film just yet because there are a couple things I am not happy with and I need to watch it again. Luckily I am going to see it again in 10 hours so I'll report back this afternoon.
All I am going to say is that unless I am a complete spoon there is a massive continuity error in one of the scenes and I don't know how it wasn't noticed. Secondly, something happens at the end of the film for the sake of the story which would never happen and is the shining example of when I talk about my "realism factor" and things not making sense. Anyways, I'll leave the moaning till later.

On a positive note, some good things happen which I wasn't expecting and for those of you who cringed when you saw the Porgs in the trailer fear not. They are used sparingly and very well and I loved the minor role they played in the story.

I am deliberately not giving it a score/rating atm until I have seen it again this afternoon. I have a provisional score in my head atm which isn't a good one but I don't want to commit to it.

Incidentally, Odeon aren't doing the popcorn buckets and cups this year for some bizarre reason. Can somebody let us all know if Cineworld are doing them so I can keep my eyes peeled on ebay.

Hugh 14-12-2017 14:04

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (3D IMAX) outstanding.

Starts off really well, bit of a quiet spell, then lots and lots of action, with some edge of the seat moments.

Would strongly recommend it.

General Maximus 14-12-2017 17:40

I have just come back from seeing it again and my opinion hasn't changed. I am very 50/50 about it and as such am going to give it 5/10. I think it is the least good of all Star Wars films and that is including Episode VII and Episode I. I'll post my thoughts later in the Episode VIII thread.

denphone 14-12-2017 19:24

That rating seems rather harsh General.:shocked:

General Maximus 14-12-2017 20:06

I know and i really did think long and hard about it but there are too many things which i am not hapoy with. This film felt more unlike Star Wars for me than it did Star Wars. I was going to do a post today in the film thread but i have run out of time now so i'll do it tomorrow morning.

admars 14-12-2017 23:48

we watched Force Awakens again at the weekend, and really enjoyed it again, I'm also in 2 minds about this one :( The funny bits, nods to previous films, fights were great, but certain things just made me think, eh, what?

Luckily I'm also seeing it again soon :)

it's definitely too long though.

Stephen 15-12-2017 14:32

Star Wars: The Last Jedi - 8/10

Loved almost every moment of it and have to say it was very funny, one of the funniest Star Wars films there is.

yes its not perfect and a few of the things set up or hinted at in TFA seem to have been dropped or just brushed aside in this one.

some have stated the best since the Empire Strikes Back.

DocDutch 16-12-2017 07:50

am in 2 minds about the movie as well, some bits are really funny but a lot of things that could have been shorter and some characters given a bit more airtime.

see what the next stand alone is going to do as currently my fav SW movie is Rogue One after that Empire, FA, Jedi, Hope, Sith, Attack, and just can't put the other 1 on there.

General Maximus 16-12-2017 17:14

I have just made my comments in the film thread if you would like to have a read.

Paul 18-12-2017 01:55

Star Wars 8 : The Last Jedi 7.5 / 10.

Entertaining, plenty of action (JJA film) plus some nice humour.

I'll agree its not the best Star Wars film ever, but certainly better than 1,2 or 3.

admars 19-12-2017 21:32

Bad Santa - 8/10 Not watched it in a few years, I had forgotten how funny it is, and the kid is brilliant :)

ThunderPants73 23-12-2017 13:41

Star Wars TLJ
4/10 An hour too long. Won't be going to see any more of these Disney rehashes at the cinema.

ThunderPants73 24-12-2017 19:42

IT.

5/10 Only deals with the first part of the book, and at 2 1/4 hours, there was WAY too much clown, which made him a lot less frightening than Tim Curry's version. Sometimes, less is more. Disappointing, but not suprising these days.

adzii_nufc 28-12-2017 02:06

Thor: Ragnarok 8/10 - no comments needed.

Justice League 5/10

Much more to say than what critics have already said? It's a CGI mess, I just didn't appreciate the level of it at all. Wonder Woman had plenty of it but was made far better and enjoyable. Saving graces are Ezra Miller's Flash which is way better than I expected, Gal Gadot nails it again. Those two were also pointed out by critics. Tend not to read them but they've been pretty much on point with this.

Aquaman was way better than expected too. Honestly and this is my opinion only mind. The crossover movies stink. Stick to making solo movies. Man of Steel and WW were great. A Flash solo movie will be great.

denphone 28-12-2017 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35929273)
Star Wars 8 : The Last Jedi 7.5 / 10.

Entertaining, plenty of action (JJA film) plus some nice humour.

I'll agree its not the best Star Wars film ever, but certainly better than 1,2 or 3.

l have not seen it yet but l think some are being over hypercritical a fair bit about it.

Paul 28-12-2017 13:45

Jumanji : 7 /10.

This turned out to be another good entertaining film, both action, humour, and a decent story.

A few new twists based on how video games work as well (I wont post spoilers).

I was never a great fan of the original, it was ok, but personally I like this version better.

admars 29-12-2017 20:58

There was a programme on BBC2 about Alan Partridge the other day, was quite interesting, and quite funny, then they showed Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa last night. It was OK 6/10.

Hugh 29-12-2017 22:37

Bright (Netflix) - enjoyed it.

Even better, a sequel may be in the works.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/21/...-joel-edgerton

Paul 29-12-2017 23:36

Bright - 6/10.

As Hugh says, it was entertaining, but also a bit hard to follow in places.

adzii_nufc 30-12-2017 00:50

Bright 6/10 agreed as above. Same comments really. Starts well, proceeds well and then kinda branches off into all sorts of chaos and confusion for me at least.

Hugh 30-12-2017 09:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35930344)
Bright - 6/10.

As Hugh says, it was entertaining, but also a bit hard to follow in places.

I agree - I put the subtitles on, which helped.

TheDaddy 31-12-2017 08:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by admars (Post 35930333)
There was a programme on BBC2 about Alan Partridge the other day, was quite interesting, and quite funny, then they showed Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa last night. It was OK 6/10.

I was really disappointed with that film, save for the bit on the pier which imo was one of Alan's finest and funniest moments

Tinky 31-12-2017 18:55

The beach - not a new film and semi plausible story line, but somehow far fetched, but still had me staying up past the witching hour to see the outcome. 7/10

General Maximus 31-12-2017 19:18

If somewhere like that existed in real life i would gladly move there.

alanbjames 31-12-2017 20:02

Just watched Spiderman homecoming, it was ok not the best spiderman film though.

Paul 31-12-2017 20:17

Interesting - which do you consider to be the best spiderman movie then ?

alanbjames 31-12-2017 21:12

I quite liked Spiderman 3.

Stephen 01-01-2018 11:13

really? That is considered to be terrible by most people.

General Maximus 01-01-2018 11:55

I didn't like any of the original Spiderman films, I thought the bad guys looked like they had come straight out of Power Rangers. I enjoyed the newer ones with Andrew Garfield in and would happily have watched more but I think the new one is by far the best and should be considered the "official" Spiderman film and is a more "realistic" portrayal of how that character would behave.

Stephen 01-01-2018 17:55

I thought the bad guys from the Maguire movies were good and reflected well from the comics. Garfield was a better Spider man though but I love the new one even more and is a really accurate version of the comic Peter Parker.

alanbjames 10-01-2018 23:58

Just watched Star trek Generations. The best Star trek film in my opinion.

General Maximus 11-01-2018 05:07

Yup, pure Star Trek at its best. I can remember going to see it at the cinema when it came out, i felt like i had died and gone to heaven.

alanbjames 11-01-2018 11:59

Its brill when Troi is at the helm and manages to crash the Saucer. Typical woman driver that give her the flagship and she will crash it lol....... Only kidding ladies ;-)

Paul 11-01-2018 15:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephen (Post 35930642)
Garfield was a better spider man though ...

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2018/01/6.jpg

:D

Damien 13-01-2018 18:19

Darkest Hour - 7/10

Decent film. Gary Oldman is great.

General Maximus 13-01-2018 18:45

yup, I know very little about those kind of details of the war so what makes stuff like this even better is that it actually happened and isn't just a story some concocted for $$$. I love Denzel Washington and Daniel Day Lewis but I really do hope Gary Oldman gets Best Actor for this at the Oscars.

Damien 14-01-2018 19:53

Coco 10/10

Go see it , it’s brilliant

General Maximus 14-01-2018 20:46

I couldn't make it today, I have got my ticket booked for next Saturday.

Dude111 15-01-2018 04:55

I last watched TRUE LIES (1994) on VHS :)

10/10 -- I thankfully have it recorded from analogue cable in the 90s!!

General Maximus 15-01-2018 06:17

It is one of those films (like the first xXx as well) that are just so good that i wished they would a series of them to be act as a modern day version of James Bond. Pierce Brosnan did my head in.

denphone 15-01-2018 18:16

Alien.

Damien 21-01-2018 14:11

The Post . Quite good, sorta the film you expect it to be.

General Maximus 21-01-2018 14:41

I am umming and ahhhing over the awards films this year. The Oscar nominations are out on Tuesday so I am waiting till then but I imagine this will get several nominations, if nothing else for Meryl Streep because she always get nominated. Traditionally the nominated films are less blockbuster/entertaining films and more drama/true story which is fine (there have been some cracking films over the last couple of years) but would you want to see them at the cinema. I am tempted to go and see some of them like The Shape of Water because I can get in free but there is still the cost of parking and sweets and drinks etc. I think I'll wait till Tuesday and then come back and make a list of cinema films and films which will be acquired through alternative means. I fancy seeing The Post because I love Tom Hanks and similarly Roman J. Israel, Esq. because of Denzel Washington.

Damien 21-01-2018 15:24

The Post has largely been shut out of major nominations for the Baftas and the Golden Gloves. I also don't think that's an outrageous decision, it's good but not amazing. Same goes with Three Billboards.

Personally I would like to see Dunkirk or Get Out win but both are unlikely, especially the latter. Hell how about Logan? I haven't seen Shape of Water or Lady Bird either which seem to be getting a lot of hype to be Best Picture. Lady Bird being a contender for 'shock' winner of Best Picture.

Quote:

Traditionally the nominated films are less blockbuster/entertaining films and more drama/true story which is fine (there have been some cracking films over the last couple of years) but would you want to see them at the cinema.
I think over the last few years Mad Max and Dunkirk would have been/will be deserving winners of Best Picture. Both did something different. They both told a story without much words and both were well scored and shot, really nicely shot in fact. Dunkirk is a brave film to make and that should be rewarded. There is a snobbery about actions films though and the Oscars do tend to award the earnest dramas. Marvel or Star Wars IMO don't deserve nominations. They're fun films but they don't do anything different or say anything different. Very 'paint by numbers' films. Although as I said before Logan should get a shout (and yes I know it's not technically Marvel).

I didn't think Spotlight deserved it either.

General Maximus 21-01-2018 15:40

I would have to go back and so some fact checking but i have been watching the Oscars since 1992 i think and of all the films that i can remember winning best picture the three i would agree with are Titanic, LOTR and Hurt Locker. I would have liked to have seen Avatar get it instead of Hurt Locker but hopefully he has still got a few chances coming up. Last year was a joke though, Moonlight was an absolute snooze fest. I would have been happy if any of the other nominees won, Moonlight was last on my list. I would have been delighted if Arrival or Hidden Figures won.

General Maximus 23-01-2018 13:57

I have just been to see Dunkirk again at the cinema and it is still superb. You can't beat seeing it on the big screen with all those speakers. It was full of old biddies though who gave it a round of applause at the end of the film :rolleyes:

Dude111 24-01-2018 06:10

I last watched BEVERLY HILLS COP III (1994) on VHS :) (Recorded from analogue cable in the 90s (Cinemax))

Hugh 24-01-2018 20:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude111 (Post 35933656)
I last watched BEVERLY HILLS COP III (1994) on VHS :) (Recorded from analogue cable in the 90s (Cinemax))

What size screen do you watch it on?

I ask because I wouldn't have thought that an analogue recording on VHS on a modern 40"+ Flat Screen TV wouldn't look very good?

Stephen 24-01-2018 20:26

I bet he is using a 28" crt.

General Maximus 26-01-2018 20:01

Maze Runner: The Death Cure 7/10

Firstly I am going to say that the trailer has got to go down as the biggest con of all time as far as trailers go. I cant think of a worse example of portraying the story line of the film to be one thing and it turns out to be something completely different.

I say that as a funny annoyance because the film is still good and better than the second imho. It doesn't do anything which you haven't seen before but the pace of the film is well maintained, great action scenes supported with great sound and visuals and the different settings/locations add to my realism factor and make the whole world more believable. I think it is quite impressive tbh because they have been different places in each film just like they did in the Hunger Games and it just adds depth to the story. They knew what they wanted to do in this film with the characters and where they wanted to go and I think they did it perfectly. I was worried it was going to be too rushed and cut short but it lasted as long as it needed to (2 hours) and you feel like every scene is key to the film.

It felt very Hunger Games-ish when you see where this film goes but I think it is a good ending to a good trilogy of films.

General Maximus 01-02-2018 21:10

12 Strong: 8/10

Excellent action movie and tbh a story and action sequences which you would think were written for a Hollywood blockbuster it is all true and happened. It is an amazing story and I strongly recommend everyone watch it. If you like stuff like Black Hawk Down then you'll love this.

Stephen 01-02-2018 21:32

Downsizing 7/10 - pretty funny and enjoyable

Get Out - 6/10 rather creepy and not bad

Paul 01-02-2018 22:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35934201)

Myself, daughter and her b/f are going to see this next week, so hoping its ok.

Damien 02-02-2018 16:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35935121)
Downsizing 7/10 - pretty funny and enjoyable

Get Out - 6/10 rather creepy and not bad

I loved Get Out. The way they built up the story was so good.

Stephen 02-02-2018 21:04

The alternate ending sounded just as creepy and not happy in anyway.

Dude111 06-02-2018 22:14

I last saw AT CLOSE RANGE (1986) on VHS :)

It was a good movie......... Must have been hard for SEAN to turn on his dad like that but seeing he tried to kill him,IM NOT SURPRISED HE DID!!

Stephen 06-02-2018 22:54

Cloverfield Paradox - 6/10

Weakest of the series. Should have left it as originally planned as a stand alone film, was originally planned in 2012 and called the God Partical.

General Maximus 08-02-2018 14:24

I haven't seen it yet but if you think that is bad you should try 10 Cloverfield Lane. It had absolutely nothing to do with the original at all apart from the ending which they added in last minute apparently and I still don't understand what it had to do with the first one.

Stephen 08-02-2018 16:03

I really enjoyed the suspense of 10 Cloverfield Lane. However it to had nothing to do with the series when it was first planned either..

This film will makes something's clear when it comes to the rest of the films and also the next one to come out, which as I understand it has already been filmed.

None of the films take place during the same time, with Cloverfield in 2008 and 10CL in 2016, this ones is in 2028.

General Maximus 08-02-2018 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35936135)
None of the films take place during the same time, with Cloverfield in 2008 and 10CL in 2016, this ones is in 2028.

:rolleyes: the trailer made it look like it was a prequel to explain the experiments (or what appears to be) and how it all started

Stephen 08-02-2018 20:20

The title of this film should indicate what happens in a way.

alanbjames 08-02-2018 20:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35934201)

Firstly I am going to say that the trailer has got to go down as the biggest con of all time as far as trailers go. I cant think of a worse example of portraying the story line of the film to be one thing and it turns out to be something completely different.

I say that as a funny annoyance because the film is still good and better than the second imho. It doesn't do anything which you haven't seen before but the pace of the film is well maintained, great action scenes supported with great sound and visuals and the different settings/locations add to my realism factor and make the whole world more believable. I think it is quite impressive tbh because they have been different places in each film just like they did in the Hunger Games and it just adds depth to the story. They knew what they wanted to do in this film with the characters and where they wanted to go and I think they did it perfectly. I was worried it was going to be too rushed and cut short but it lasted as long as it needed to (2 hours) and you feel like every scene is key to the film.

It felt very Hunger Games-ish when you see where this film goes but I think it is a good ending to a good trilogy of films.

Im writing a script called the Maize runner, its about a baker who is always late with his deliveries.

Stuart 08-02-2018 21:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35935880)
Cloverfield Paradox - 6/10

Weakest of the series. Should have left it as originally planned as a stand alone film, was originally planned in 2012 and called the God Partical.

Currently watching it, so no rating yet. So far, however, it seems like a messily written generic Sci Fi film that they had a script for and thought "oh ****, we've written this script and got no way to market it", then decided to tie it to Cloverfield and release it with little or no advance publicity.

Good cast, good special FX. Largely wasted by the store so far.

adzii_nufc 08-02-2018 22:20

Tick a few off.

SW: The Last Jedi - 9/10

Thor: Ragnarok - 9/10

Stuart 08-02-2018 22:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35936201)
Currently watching it, so no rating yet. So far, however, it seems like a messily written generic Sci Fi film that they had a script for and thought "oh ****, we've written this script and got no way to market it", then decided to tie it to Cloverfield and release it with little or no advance publicity.

Good cast, good special FX. Largely wasted by the store so far.

Yep, I was right...

I give it 3 out of 10.

The good points.
The Cast. The special effects and the sets.
Now, the bad.

Everything else. The "story" is badly written, and is basically a collection of Sci Fi cliches (multiple universes? Check. Pretty looking multi cultural cast? Check. One character stuck in wrong universe? Check. Storyline about wonderful new tech that goes wrong? Check). This "story" is essentially a bad clone of a number of Star Trek stories, and is not told as well as any of them. Unfortunately, it lacks the humour and believable characters that are often present in Star Trek stories, particularly the TNG ones..

It seems like they bunged the Cloverfield name on to give them something to market the film with. Essentially, if the original Cloverfield is John Carpenter's Halloween, this is Halloween 3 (ie only a vague link between the two).

Had I actually paid for a cinema ticket, I would have actually felt ripped off.

Stuart 10-02-2018 23:58

Well, last night, at the cinema, I saw the new Clint Eastwood directed film, "The 15:17 to Paris".

Interesting film telling the life stories of 3 US soldiers that prevented a terrorism related mass shooting on a Thalys train from Amsterdam to Paris (the titular 15:17 to Paris). Generally it is good, apart from the fact that Clint took a gamble by having the 3 soldiers play themselves. They aren't great actors, so their performances, while they are playing themselves, seem a little off. I *think* Clint was trying to do something different, and say thank you to these men, but I think the film would have been better had they been played by professional actors.

6 out of ten, and I think had it had devent performances from the lead actors it might well have been 8.

Dude111 11-02-2018 08:44

I last saw BREAKING IN (1989) on VHS :)

A good movie!!

General Maximus 11-02-2018 11:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35936409)
Well, last night, at the cinema, I saw the new Clint Eastwood directed film, "The 15:17 to Paris"

I really wanted to see this and it isn't on at my cinema. What an absolute joke. It is 9 screen cinema and flipping 50 Shades bla bla can be on every hour of the day but not a Clint Eastwood film. I am mega mardy now.