Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Science & Technology (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Does anyone actually use a VCR anymore? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33609452)

Action Jackson 02-03-2007 11:13

Does anyone actually use a VCR anymore?

At Christmas I bought my mother a DVD recorder, plumbed it in for her and showed her how to work it. I visit her a few weeks later and she had re-installed the VCR, citing 'irreconcilable differences' between her and the DVD recorder.

I haven't owned a VCR for about 5 years now. I simply don't think I could go back to watching films or recordings that were VCR quality.

Does anyone still use these lumbering beasts of yesteryear?

dilli-theclaw 02-03-2007 11:16

Re: Does anyone actually use a VCR anymore?

I know a fair few people that do yes.

I have one wired into my other pc up here - which I use to convert vhs to dvd.

Action Jackson 02-03-2007 11:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jefferson T (Post 34238949)

I could see the point in having one to convert VHS to DVD, especially if it was old home video footage.

I just don't think I could watch a VHS movie these days, not with DVD quality films being available. I binned my entire collection of VHS movies years ago and have managed to replace all of them with DVD equivalents.

Admittedly, I'm a bit of an audio/video snob.

Xaccers 02-03-2007 11:26

Anyone got a spare betamax?
Parents' one died a couple of years back and they have tapes they want putting on DVD.

orangebird 02-03-2007 11:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jefferson T (Post 34238949)

I do - I have a dvd-video combi thing. I own a lot of series on video and am not about to spend money replacing them with dvds. As for the quality of recordings...the sound & picture is fine for me. :shrug:

Halcyon 02-03-2007 11:29

My parents still use videos.
I keep telling them about the advantages of a DVD recorder with built in Hard drive for easy recording, but still no go as yet.
Everytime they rewind a tape or play it, I keep telling them the tape gets stretched and damaged.

It would cut down the room taken by videos by half if they converted to DVD's.

Action Jackson 02-03-2007 11:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halcyon (Post 34238977)
My parents still use videos.
I keep telling them about the advantages of a DVD recorder with built in Hard drive for easy recording, but still no go as yet.
Everytime they rewind a tape or play it, I keep telling them the tape gets stretched and damaged.

It would cut down the room taken by videos by half if they converted to DVD's.

I don't ever record anything to be honest, preferring to download anything I miss on telly (if not available on-demand). So I don't really have any need for a VCR or a DVD recorder these days.

---------- Post added at 11:36 ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xaccers (Post 34238970)
Parents' one died a couple of years back and they have tapes they want putting on DVD.

Top loader?

Have to jump on it to get the tape in?

Ahhh, the memories.......

:D

c1rcle 02-03-2007 11:39

I have a vcr in the cupboard, been there since we moved 14 months ago just never got round to connecting it up, don't even know if it still works either. Probably dump it soon too, when I can be bothered.:D

dilli-theclaw 02-03-2007 11:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xaccers (Post 34238970)

I do have one in the attic but have no idea if it still works. Give me the weekend and I'll check.

Got a lot on my plate atm so PM me Monday if you've not heard anything ('cos I've no doubt forgotton :()

MikeyB 02-03-2007 12:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Action Jackson (Post 34238943)
At Christmas I bought my mother a DVD recorder, plumbed it in for her and showed her how to work it. I visit her a few weeks later and she had re-installed the VCR, citing 'irreconcilable differences' between her and the DVD recorder.

I can see my parents having the same thoughts.
Their VCR is easy to use, put a tape in, rewind it if needed, and press record.
My DVD recorder, put DVD-R in, wait a minute (feels like a whole minute anyway!) while it reads it, check anything on it, go into the menu, delete the existing program(s), come out of the menus, and then finally press record!

But then maybe it's just my particular DVD recorder that's a bit slow & fiddly to get going.
Wish I'd spent a bit more and got a DVD recorder with HDD...

But I haven't used my VCR to record anything since I got my DVD recorder, but I do have a load of videos, so how would I watch those if I got rid of the VCR?
I have copied a couple of Videos to DVD just to try it, but will have to do more soon.

Paul 02-03-2007 12:35

Yes, I have a lot of home movie stuff on VHS still.

Wicked_and_Crazy 02-03-2007 12:40

Still use a VHS, i see no point in buying a DVD recorder until the VHS breaks. Its not as if the quality is that poor when recorded off of TV to make it a burning desire to change.

The Jackal 02-03-2007 12:55

Went out to buy a VCR a few years back and BOY was it difficult ! So little choice and such ugly looking chunky boxes. The machines of yesteryear were slimmer and had better specifications !

Trouble is that a lot of people still use the tapes as a medium... I mean my missus brought home a tape the other week with so called study materials on it.

dilli-theclaw 02-03-2007 12:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrC-3rr0r (Post 34239133)
Went out to buy a VCR a few years back and BOY was it difficult ! So little choice and such ugly looking chunky boxes. The machines of yesteryear were slimmer and had better specifications !

Trouble is that a lot of people still use the tapes as a medium... I mean my missus brought home a tape the other week with so called study materials on it.

This is a very good point.

Imagine the fun I had when I realised that I had to find a cassette player :)

The Jackal 02-03-2007 13:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jefferson T (Post 34239138)
This is a very good point.

Imagine the fun I had when I realised that I had to find a cassette player :)

LOL I still have my beloved Sony TCK-611S which I had to really struggle to buy when I was working as a sales assistant many years back !

3 heads - amorphous head - dolby S noise reduction WTF !

£300 it cost ! and my monthly take home was like £500 :rolleyes:
It took 6 months of hard work to get my HiFi built and 15 years on I still dont have the speakers ! ROFL.

Maybe one day I'll plug it into my i-river and rip some tapes to mp3 :rolleyes: